Solution to Late Game Hound Waves?/How exactly does Lucky Whistle Work?

5 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

not for me, if im playing on year 2 or 3 im expecting like 27 hounds

not depth worms though, depth worms suck

But you get 7-10 hounds every 3-7 days already... not only that, if you are not prepared for a way to deal with them outside of a gauntlet it’s going to be one fun time trying to sync/desync then with any armor but a crown/bone armor, especially if you don’t have a road.

2 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

That's quite literally impossible.

intro 	= { warnduration = function() return 120 end, numspawns = function() return 2 end },
light 	= { warnduration = function() return 60 end, numspawns = function() return 2 + math.random(2) end },
med 	= { warnduration = function() return 45 end, numspawns = function() return 3 + math.random(3) end },
heavy 	= { warnduration = function() return 30 end, numspawns = function() return 4 + math.random(3) end },
crazy 	= { warnduration = function() return 30 end, numspawns = function() return 6 + math.random(4) end },

This is the code that determines the number of hound spawns.

math.random(x) returns a random integer from 1 to x (both inclusive), so the highest tier function (crazy) can only possibly spawn 7-10 hounds.

You probably think there's more than there are because you're too busy trying not to die to actually count them or something. Or it's one of those Mandela Effects or something.

17 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

But you get 7-10 hounds every 3-7 days already... not only that, if you are not prepared for a way to deal with them outside of a gauntlet it’s going to be one fun time trying to sync/desync then with any armor but a crown/bone armor, especially if you don’t have a road.

... tooth traps? you arent supposed to be fighting 10 hounds head on

17 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

That's quite literally impossible.

intro 	= { warnduration = function() return 120 end, numspawns = function() return 2 end },
light 	= { warnduration = function() return 60 end, numspawns = function() return 2 + math.random(2) end },
med 	= { warnduration = function() return 45 end, numspawns = function() return 3 + math.random(3) end },
heavy 	= { warnduration = function() return 30 end, numspawns = function() return 4 + math.random(3) end },
crazy 	= { warnduration = function() return 30 end, numspawns = function() return 6 + math.random(4) end },

This is the code that determines the number of hound spawns.

math.random(x) returns a random integer from 1 to x (both inclusive), so the highest tier function (crazy) can only possibly spawn 7-10 hounds.

You probably think there's more than there are because you're too busy trying not to die to actually count them or something. Or it's one of those Mandela Effects or something.

I didnt say "27 hounds spawn" I said "Im expecting 27" I thought way more hounds were supposed to spawn then they do, there is no difficulty increase the longer you play making it get stale and boring fast, I want 27 hounds

25 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they are easy to handle than hounds

27 hounds per player will be ridiculous

it would be 27 total, split among players also they would have to queue so you would only get like a max of 4 per player or something otherwise lag

7 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

I didnt say "27 hounds spawn" I said "Im expecting 27" I thought way more hounds were supposed to spawn then they do, there is no difficulty increase the longer you play making it get stale and boring fast, I want 27 hounds

But then the only way to reasonably deal with that many is to use a gauntlet or a minefield of tooth traps in order to kill them, making portable methods like the hound whistle obsolete and forcing you to build gauntlets all over the map or stay in a specific spot of the map once the 3 day safety period elapses.

1 minute ago, Maxil20 said:

making portable methods like the hound whistle obsolete

bruh that's literally an event item

you can out run the hounds when they get distracted or bark for too long and minefields are already what the "meta" is, furthermore it gives houndious shootious more of something to go after. Plus this isnt like day 3 **** this is like year 2 or 3 where you should already have ample resources

14 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

it would be 27 total, split among players also they would have to queue so you would only get like a max of 4 per player or something otherwise lag

i though we were talking per player. I have played with up to 4 people and is a hell to count how much they are

14 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

there is cheaper and less tedious methods like pig+bunny houses+iceflingomatic or anenemies when solo

and with good ping is totally doable fighting them without helps. Imo is worth losing a little armor durability and health in comparation to the tedious of using tooth traps but everytime i said this some users ego gets hurted

edit: and if you are able to reset the ruins/fight df+ crafting in the ruins you can use road+pan flaute to make it easier

also, with the new cheaty method of duplicating beefalo herds, you can create herds arround the map to have safe points for hounds 

bruh that's literally an event item

You can change events in the world settings after world creation to get it now, which is what the thread was initially about.

you can out run the hounds when they get distracted or bark for too long and minefields are already what the "meta" is, furthermore it gives houndious shootious more of something to go after. Plus this isnt like day 3 **** this is like year 2 or 3 where you should already have ample resources

I’m on day 9500 and I have 2 gauntlets so far: one in my main base, and one in the DFly desert. I don’t like making excess gauntlets over the world because they look cumbersome and limit my decoration options, especially when the screen around the gauntlet needs to be clear so hounds don’t spawn and break/burn structures nearby. Using options like the hound whistle allows me to overcome that for a substantial part of the map because of how my roads are setup, especially when I have the resources to produce multiple hound whistles via constructing/deconstructing lucky beast hats for more lucky gold nuggets.

1 minute ago, Maxil20 said:

You can change events in the world settings after world creation to get it now, which is what the thread was initially about.

Yes, im aware, the point is that its not something accessible to everyone because of the fact that its event only and should not be considered something good for getting rid of hounds 24/7

2 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I’m on day 9500 and I have 2 gauntlets so far: one in my main base, and one in the DFly desert. I don’t like making excess gauntlets over the world because they look cumbersome and limit my decoration options, especially when the screen around the gauntlet needs to be clear so hounds don’t spawn and break/burn structures nearby. Using options like the hound whistle allows me to overcome that for a substantial part of the map because of how my roads are setup, especially when I have the resources to produce multiple hound whistles via constructing/deconstructing lucky beast hats for more lucky gold nuggets.

okay?

6 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

Yes, im aware, the point is that its not something accessible to everyone because of the fact that its event only and should not be considered something good for getting rid of hounds 24/7

Just because something is event only doesn’t mean it should be completely overlooked compared to other methods, though, especially when it only takes a few minutes to swap events and have a varg shrine for the rest of the run. It’s like saying festive lights for mushlights/glowcaps should not be considered something good because it’s locked behind an event, even though it’s basically the only way to have those emit light permanently right now.

3 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

especially when it only takes a few minutes to swap events and have a varg shrine for the rest of the run

That point is that it isnt default, so people who actually stick to default **** do not have this as an option and yes it should be overlooked

4 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

That point is that it isnt default, so people who actually stick to default **** do not have this as an option and yes it should be overlooked

only pubs are affected by that and most of pubs doesnt last that long to have players worried about that

7 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

You are literally comparing 

One time setup + some maintenance  

to

Constant gold consumption and still requiring direct/indirect combat

What? Tooth traps are ugly as sin and tedious, I'm allowed to not like them. 

You mean lucky nuggets right? Because when you regularly reset the ruins gold becomes one of your most abundant resources. Lucky nuggets are also easy to amass and I enjoy racing Carrats and hunting clay Varg, also you can amass nuggets really easy as well via various means.

Also tooth traps aren't mobile, lucky whistles are. I don't like the idea of needing to run to one specific spot. I have a houndius setup inbase for hounds,mosslings and other uses anyway and I use Beefalo herds or lucky whistle when I'm far from base. 

I have no need for tooth traps.

7 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Don't you know people seem to love kiting late-game hounds, all 10 of them?! And throwing a tantrum of sorts when anyone proposes permanent & automatic hounds disposal setups, rightly so?!?! Yep, it's a thing! What you say, that on all pubs and private servers you personally visited no one does that, and/or delog/enter caves when Hounds Attack sounds are played?! Bollocks! Those surely must be all puny nooby-noobs! All real experienced players kite late-game hounds. It's so easy even a toddler with Axe can do it, blindfolded. Else you are not an experienced player, just some fake and otherwise spurious pretender! Mighty Wolfgang gang verified statement :bee:

I don't even know how to reply,  what you are describing is not me at all. I don't care how others fight hounds I just personally hate tooth traps. I'm on console and I definitely don't kite them perfectly haha and I sometimes do screw up and have to bail - the whistle helps immensely when I mess up a bit. Also as stated above i do have permanent solutions for them but only in certain spots hence why i like the whistle for it's helpfulness no matter where you are.

6 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

why the **** are there only 10 hounds

That is how many you face as a solo player against hound waves late game?

I was not expecting to wake up and see hostility and nonsense on a thread where I'm just suggesting that an item (now available to everyone whenever they want) may have a great use that until now was locked to those with a Varg shrine. 

Myself and others have put it to practise and it works really well. This isn't the thread for tooth trap discussion and there is no need to turn this into a competition of who can and wants to fight the most hounds (but using traps? So it means nothing..?). 

23 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Also tooth traps aren't mobile

except wacky enough they are! they stay in your inventory like an item rather then going into placement mode like structures, you arent gonna have a tooth trap field in your backpack but they are mobile!

23 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

That is how many you face as a solo player against hound waves late game?

ok i had no idea thanks for telling me that wow

Just now, TemporarySolutn said:

except wacky enough they are! they stay in your inventory like an item rather then going into placement mode like structures, you arent gonna have a tooth trap field in your backpack but they are mobile!

Ok sorry tooth trap fields aren't mobile.... What I meant to say

52 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Lucky nuggets are also easy to amass and I enjoy racing Carrats and hunting clay Varg, also you can amass nuggets really easy as well via various means.

Yeah, 3 nuggets is not too pricey at all : P

There's a few other methods I thought of as well:

-If you have year of the PK up, you can cheese the event for over 2-3 stacks of lucky gold nuggets, in addition to a few more once the event ends. I do think it's the most effective way to farm them if you have a pig farm setup, especially since the belt spawn rate is boosted during the event.
-YoTB festive scraps can actually be deconstructed with a deconstruction staff, returning 5 lucky gold nuggets. As there's no use to them once you have all the skins aside from farming dolls, it's a nice way to hoard lucky gold nuggets if you have the resources at hand, especially since you always get 4 scraps per contest.
-If you don't have any events on whatsoever, you can use a construction amulet to craft a lucky beast hat for 4 lucky gold nuggets, and deconstruct it for 8, netting you 1 whistle + a third of another for every .44 green gems you use. Since DFly/Ruins regen can supply you with far more green gems then you use with this method, it's actually pretty reliable.

48 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Yeah, 3 nuggets is not too pricey at all : P

There's a few other methods I thought of as well:

-If you have year of the PK up, you can cheese the event for over 2-3 stacks of lucky gold nuggets, in addition to a few more once the event ends. I do think it's the most effective way to farm them if you have a pig farm setup, especially since the belt spawn rate is boosted during the event.
-YoTB festive scraps can actually be deconstructed with a deconstruction staff, returning 5 lucky gold nuggets. As there's no use to them once you have all the skins aside from farming dolls, it's a nice way to hoard lucky gold nuggets if you have the resources at hand, especially since you always get 4 scraps per contest.
-If you don't have any events on whatsoever, you can use a construction amulet to craft a lucky beast hat for 4 lucky gold nuggets, and deconstruct it for 8, netting you 1 whistle + a third of another for every .44 green gems you use. Since DFly/Ruins regen can supply you with far more green gems then you use with this method, it's actually pretty reliable.

Thanks so much for the tips! I saved a stack of 40 of every festive scrap just as backups, knowing I can deconstruct these into 600 lucky gold nuggets should I need to is very handy.

15 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

you're just funny at this point. I hope you're just trolling for your own good, cause if you have been serious in this thread...Jeeesus. And just your general aggressive responses all over the place, makes me wonder how a conversation goes in your day to day life.

Trying to stay on topic tho:

Tooth traps vs whistle, if you are talking console, which OP is, the whistle is so much better. I haven't used tooth traps in years, resetting them and picking up stuff takes half a day on console, it takes so long that it makes any other method superior. Heck I would prefer dying every time and reviving than having to reset tooth traps ever again.

12 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I don't even know how to reply,  what you are describing is not me at all. I don't care how others fight hounds I just personally hate tooth traps. I'm on console and I definitely don't kite them perfectly haha and I sometimes do screw up and have to bail - the whistle helps immensely when I mess up a bit. Also as stated above i do have permanent solutions for them but only in certain spots hence why i like the whistle for it's helpfulness no matter where you are.

It wasn't about your post, OP, but a joke regarding the recurring suggestion of certain people on how to go about dealing with end-game hound waves in general - attempting to kite all 10 of them (in case solo player is caught outside base/without other automatic mean of dealing with said hounds). Such suggestion is quite niche for its success rate, most-often-than-not requiring the shredding of armor and healing in vain for a minimal payout (Monster Meat and 1-3 Red/Blue Gems), yet with pretty big risk (can easily be stun-locked if not on personal server/having >70 ping and/or "rubberbanding"). For Mighty Wolf and/or damage-buff foods is indeed a valid strategy, albeit still a lose of time for mentioned payload. Otherwise not advisable at all to resort on such approach, instead purely outrun the dogs, distract them with other mobs or go with pack-on-track for one of the trap areas on your map, once more - as a general efficient advice.

Sure, event whistle helps and if that way of fending off hound waves brings you entertainment, go for it. But don't give it as a general, efficient and all-skills-level advice - for vast majority of players in them pubs out there it will only bring them death.

35 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Sure, event whistle helps and if that way of fending off hound waves brings you entertainment, go for it. But don't give it as a general, efficient and all-skills-level advice - for vast majority of players in them pubs out there it will only bring them death.

I wasn't giving advice first off this was just a discussion on a potential hound solution when outside your base and,/or away from your other hound solutions, secondly how is the whistle not great? It makes 5 hounds allied and they will immediately attack any other hounds that attack you. This is pretty handy and considering lucky nuggets are so easy to amass it is actually pretty viable. I've been using it and it's great, there is the kiting strategy and stationary solutions- traps, houndius etc but nothing else (except Pan flutes butt heyre far more expensive) provides a mobile solution to hounds that can be used anywhere anytime to lessen the danger and intensity of a hound wave.

Really don't get all the negativity in this thread. 

Also as I've already stated multiple times now I deal with hounds in a variety of ways and have only started using the whistle for specific situations and uses which in my opinion it is actually very useful for.

Lucky whistles are helpful in dealing with hound waves now that they're available to everyone. They provide a special effect that is pretty handy for hound waves or for fighting vargs (clay or normal). You may not think it's as viable as I do but it's still very much a new option now that it's available to everyone. 

Archived