Should bearger be rework to be an actual boss?

Should bearger be rework to be an actual boss?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should bearger be rework to be an actual boss not your free lumberjack

• yes he was supposed to be a boss after all
    • nah man i want my free lumberjack to be lumberjack
    • i don't care / i don't know
    • other (tell in comments)

Bearger does what Woodie can do in a matter of seconds.

Bearger requires certain time of year & kiting, Woodie requires spawning into map and going ham.

For *Wendy to achieve the same level of forest destruction as Woodie she needs that Bearger.

Then Theres Wormwood who loses Sanity while chopping tree’s so Bearger is his best friend when it comes to not suffering massive sanity lost & gathering tons of wood.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then Theres Wormwood who loses Sanity while chopping tree’s so Bearger is his best friend when it comes to not suffering massive sanity lost & gathering tons of wood.

Doesn't Wormwood also lose sanity in a form of negative sanity aura whenever plants/trees nearby get destroyed? I think they also stack up the more destruction around him happens.

19 minutes ago, Baguettes said:

Doesn't Wormwood also lose sanity in a form of negative sanity aura whenever plants/trees nearby get destroyed? I think they also stack up the more destruction around him happens.

Yep. Bearger absolutely tanks Wormwood's sanity. Hence why I've started to use the Bone Helm for our little deforestation sessions.

8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I've never played the first dont starve and I would really really be curious to see how old dfly and moose worked like

Spoiler

Wait what really??! Omg your missing out! that game is so chalk full of content: And it has two dlc expansions that are compatible with the vanilla game (yes you can totally play through adventures mode as Walani from Shipwrecked)

you should at least check it out

47 minutes ago, pyroisshy said:

autumn should be easier than the other seasons, so bearger not being a big threat is not a big deal imo

Bearger is a big threat. In DST he's by far the most dangerous thing that comes for you, since Dragonfly no longer does. Compare him to the other season's threats.

Autumn's Bearger: 6000 HP, 100 damage, 3 second delay between attacks, -400/m sanity aura, has a charge and slam attack.

Winter's Deerclops: 4000 HP, 75 damage, 4 second delay between attacks, -400/m sanity aura, has no special attacks.

Spring's Nothing: 

Summer's Sinkholes: I think it's like 50 damage or something but it's really easy to dodge and only happens a few times.

technically that list is missing some details like deerclops possibly getting a free hit if tagging you too many times (freeze is its 'special attack' and laser deerclops is awful) or bearger's attack cooldown resetting after a slam, or how the real spring giant that insists on haranguing you is made of frogs

i'm not even sure bearger counts anymore, the only seasonal bosses that actively have it out for you are deerclops/antlion, bearger isn't outright hostile in dst and mostly just follows you around with a 25% strength sanity aura, long as not got the honey goods anyway

3 minutes ago, Evalora said:

i'm not even sure bearger counts anymore, the only seasonal bosses that actively have it out for you are deerclops/antlion, bearger isn't outright hostile in dst and mostly just follows you around with a 25% strength sanity aura, long as not got the honey goods anyway

None of the giants outright have it out for you. Bearger wants to eat food and hibearnate, but you have food and your base has food so he's a problem. Deerclops wants to smash a bunch of structures then despawn, but your base is made out of structures so he's a problem. In DSA Dragonfly wants to burn random stuff so it becomes ash so she can eat, but your base is flammable so she's a problem. Moosegoose just chills at her nest and eats food nearby, but if your base is nearby she's a problem for the same reason as Bearger.

Arguably Antlion has it out for you, I guess, but only because you aren't giving him tribute.

1 hour ago, wons said:

he was supposed to be a boss not your free lumberjack, or was he? [Vsauce music]

No one forces you to use/bait Bearger into "lumberjacking". Kite it "like @ pr0" for ..not-really-useful loot after the first 2 Bears take-downs. Or retire him via teleportation on some Lunar Island for all eternity to not have his shenanigans anymore.

56 minutes ago, Well-met said:

all he needed was his old charge ability back and he got it.

I believe It has it, was reintroduced a couple of updates ago. Is pretty fun, adrenaline-inducing indeed.

given even near nothing of note when deerclops spawns it will (usually, in lieu of distractions like pig houses) specifically walk up to you into aggro range, at least initially before getting bored and wandering around i would posit that deerclops is very much out to get you, indirectly or not (pays more attention to structures, especially clusters of them, and initially targets those if near them)

in dst anyway the only boss that will beeline for your base if you're just hanging around that waiting for them to spawn (and thus enabling such) is deerclops, bearger has to be pretty close to detect and desire food stored (beebox an exception there but there's an incentive to just plunk your boxes in the nearest cave, they're quite nice to have unloaded for days at a time as well)

3 hours ago, Well-met said:

I've never played the first dont starve and I would really really be curious to see how old dfly and moose worked like

moose goose was a pain because only spawns one and you have to wait until she puts the egg if you want few feathers so we won with the change

bearger had a HUGE range in his slam atack so he can destroy futher than in dst and the screen shaked more (same with deerclops+more atack speed and range) so was harder to fight them because you dont really know what is happening

df was a superfun fight, Image a deerclops of fire that want to burn your stuff to eat ash and, if you fight her, becomes enrage by defaul so you are fighting a heat source in summer with the need of too much speed (i used mag to be able to kite her)  and a shitty thermal stone that doesnt cool you for so long

RoG, as a complementary world for playing sw and/or hamlet, still being cool for dst players and for new players is way harder than dst imo

He is pretty much a boss already. imo he is more dangerous than deerclops, due to hitting harder, has more health, and has slam and charge attack.

If you really want him to be an actual boss, just mod and remove his charge attack.

I like his design. He, along with moose goose, is one of the most beliavable wildlife bosses. He just chills around stealing food and killing anything that happens to be dumb enough to face it. He also doesn't despawn but rather hibernates in colder seasons and wanders during warmer seasons.

He's pretty neat! If anything it's believable you can trick such a big brute into doing lumberjack work.

Archived