Why I think Klei should add woodlegs to dst

So I've been playing a lot of hamlet and shipwrecked recently and I'm surprised woodlegs hasn't already been added there's a lot of potential for him especially since a lot of players lack the motivation to even explore the ocean at all in dst. One of his perks would be to make his own ship. This is very much needed and would be more aerodynamic looking like a ship variant in the dst "more boat shapes" mod. Another would be his own craftable sail. This would have the power of three sails having one sail on the top and two on the sides having a pirate symbol on it. This would really help passing out the slog that is traveling the ocean in these clunky, and unintuitive boats, saving space as well as increasing speed. The downside of this is that it would not be able to have any attachments like the lightning rod attached to it. Another perk would be his ability to sing sea shanties. When woodlegs is sailing the ship he could start to sing sea shanties with everyone on the same boat as him. The sanity gain for this would be very slight, but would grow with the number of players singing. The last perk would be his lucky hat. Similar to shipwrecked his hat would increase the chance for him to get ruins tier equipment making it more convenient for him to get the chests instead of delving into the ruins.

One drawback to woodlegs would be his slower speed on land as well as his sanity drain on it. These two would make woodlegs more reliant on the sea. Another downside to him would he that he gains less stats from eating food that isnt sea food. Sea food isnt always very filling so one way to fix this would be to either add new fish recipes for hunger, or have woodlegs gain more hunger from seafood. That's all that I can think of I hope klei can consider my ideas I've presented.

So I've been playing a lot of hamlet and shipwrecked recently and I'm surprised woodlegs hasn't already been added there's a lot of potential for him especially since a lot of players lack the motivation to even explore the ocean at all in dst. One of his perks would be to make his own ship. This is very much needed and would be more aerodynamic looking like a ship variant in the dst "more boat shapes" mod. Another would be his own craftable sail. This would have the power of three sails having one sail on the top and two on the sides having a pirate symbol on it. This would really help passing out the slog that is traveling the ocean in these clunky, and unintuitive boats, saving space as well as increasing speed. The downside of this is that it would not be able to have any attachments like the lightning rod attached to it. Another perk would be his ability to sing sea shanties. When woodlegs is sailing the ship he could start to sing sea shanties with everyone on the same boat as him. The sanity gain for this would be very slight, but would grow with the number of players singing. The last perk would be his lucky hat. Similar to shipwrecked his hat would increase the chance for him to get ruins tier equipment making it more convenient for him to get the chests instead of delving into the ruins.

One drawback to woodlegs would be his slower speed on land as well as his sanity drain on it. These two would make woodlegs more reliant on the sea. Another downside to him would he that he gains less stats from eating food that isnt sea food. Sea food isnt always very filling so one way to fix this would be to either add new fish recipes for hunger, or have woodlegs gain more hunger from seafood. That's all that I can think of I hope klei can consider my ideas I've presented.

So his upsides are he can make malbatross sails without killing malbatross (which isn't much of one because he's a sailor so he'll be fighting malbatross shortly anyways) and he can tell Walter's campfire stories.

And his downsides is that for the other 99% of the game he has the most crippling downside you can have, an impeded movement speed, in addition to sanity drain and less hunger from basically every single food in the game.

Taking another look at this I'd say one or two things need to be changed i would remove the movement speed penalty on land as well as adding his own canon that would interrupt crab king from healing himself so he would be used to kill crab king early, befriend pearl early, and get muscle farms early which are one of the best food sources in the game.

I don't mind the idea of having a Woodlegs TYPE of character, just not Woodlegs himself.

I mean, just look at this guy.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dont-starve-game/images/e/ea/Woodlegs.png/revision/latest?cb=20160226045238
That should NOT belong in Don't Starve, as a joke character who is probably non canon, then yeah sure whatever, but if he was added to DST he would kinda HAVE to be canon.

I'd rather have Walani, she used to be a pirate, they could give her a bit of a refresh alongside her being added.

I hate to be “that guy” but when you cut it to the nit & gritty- there’s 6 characters left that are NOT in DST, in the past adding them all could’ve been risky/not beneficial to Klei- But after the studio announcement, I think they can afford to make them happen now.

6 established DS franchise characters, who have fans actively wanting to play them, they should ALL be added at some point.

And I think Klei should be doing everything they can within their power to please their fanbase after recent events: This is just one tiny little thing to ask of them.. it’s not like we ask for the whole world (just the entire cast & maybe a few more brand new ones!)

Plus on the bright side: If we actually got them I could stop begging for proper DST ports of SW & Hamlet compatibility Because in reality 100% compatibility was never what I wanted to begin with- I just wanted all the characters and maybe a few biomes and mobs from those expansions added into DST.

What I CAN say for absolute certainty is starting with characters people already actually want to see become playable would be a good starting point for them..

But as far as how they should be changed to better fit into DST that’s not really something I feel I have any say over: Klei knows their characters better than WE know them and if they want them in DST they’ll change them to more appropriately fit the theme and Playstyle of DST without it feeling awkward and out of place.:wilson_love::wilson_vforvictory:

18 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

naw, good ideas, but wilbur would be so much cooler with slumonkeys imo. (long live the monkey king.)

I love wilbur but, for whatever reason, they made primal monkeys different to slumonkeys so it will have a lore inconsistency (another one). If you world hop to rog as wilbur, splumonkeys doenst obey wilbur and primal monkeys in the ruins and him arent affected by the nightmere cycle which is a lost opportunity to make a really cool character (i guess because world hopping wasnt a thing at first)

8 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

I don't mind the idea of having a Woodlegs TYPE of character, just not Woodlegs himself.

I mean, just look at this guy.

That should NOT belong in Don't Starve, as a joke character who is probably non canon, then yeah sure whatever, but if he was added to DST he would kinda HAVE to be canon.

I'd rather have Walani, she used to be a pirate, they could give her a bit of a refresh alongside her being added.

image.thumb.png.ebd261b6bb07e4dce3a4c3e29c0b8b48.png

I don't see the problem. he's one handsome fellow. :D

2 minutes ago, douan33 said:

Swap character, craft boats and place, never ever touch him again.

Also 95% of the game is on land. It is extremely stupid to make him slower on land.

Yeah I made a reply saying to remove the movement speed penalty and have the canon I do know he would be a swap character but most people dont step foot off of land until they're at the late game. My idea of woodlegs would be an early game character that got things like mussel and kelp farms early as well as killing crab king and malbatross early. Plus the sunken treasure can give you some really good stuff and he could have the return of his lucky pirate hat to make those chests more valuable. He would be a nice early game way of getting ocean tasks done for a group of players as most people overlook things like mussels and salt that are great resources.

16 minutes ago, Evalora said:

movement speed penalty?

not heard of that one, would've figured the real issue anyway would be -38.4 sanity/day just to being on land alone

'least if plunked into dst as is, which would probably be a bad idea

I don’t think we the community should be coming up with ideas on how to implement them in DST, Isn’t that currently the problem with the not yet reworked characters? They’re designed with single player in mind & hadn’t been updated for Multiplayer.

Before I turn this into a TL:DR post- If Klei wants to add them to DST they will refresh them to better suit it. I would like to also point out that- you can play Solo DS as any DLC characters in the vanilla Mode so even if they don’t “seem” to fit anywhere but their respective DLCs.. they’re still 100% playable Outside of the DLCs already.

i wouldn't worry about that, ultimately if devs see something that seems neat via player input they might use it and that's that

there is a mod that implements sw characters that has a particular take on woodlegs that can check out to kind of imagine what it'd be like anyway, if so desire https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=697356989

I've made a post very similar to this one, but my ideas are more ironed out (turns out people dont look at you replying to your own post with changes so I made this one).

Woodlegs would come with a precrafted dst version of the sea legs. It would be bigger and more aerodynamic taking the shape of an actual ship instead of a floating pancake. Another, would be his sails that would have the same  speed as the malbatross sails making ocean travel a lot less tedious. His next perk would be his canon that would have 150 uses and be very powerful. It would do around 90 damage and its main perk would be to stun enemies that are in water. He would be able to stun crabking when he's healing as well as trying to freeze you and prevent malbatross from flying away. The canon would have to be placed on the boat and could not be moved. The canon would also be able to destroy boulders and salt formations. Another perk would be his lucky pirate hat and spyglass. The cap would make the ocean chests more lucrative, making the chance of them containing more rare items 20% higher, (if you look on the wiki you can see how good those can be) as well as making things like ornate chests in the ruins and set piece chests much better. For example instead of finding log armor with 50% durability, you could find thulcite armor with 42% durability. His spyglass would do the exact same thing as in shipwrecked and wouldn't work in the caves. His last perk would be the sea shanties. When he is behind the sail he would sing a shanty that has a slight sanity drain that would grow with more players singing. 

Now we are on to his downsides. Two of his major downsides would be his sanity drain on land and his movement speed penalty. His sanity drain on land would be the same as that of dusk and night and would not stack with those draining stats, this also applies to the caves as his sanity would drain at the same rate as any other character down there. The next would be the movement speed. This penalty wouldn't apply while he is on his boat and will slow him down by 5-10%, however ounce he gets a walking can it would negate his debuff making him go as fast as anyone else would while a walking can is equipped (this would also work with the lazy explorer). The last drawback would be him taking in slightly less stats from food that isnt seafood based. This would take 5% off of the benefits of food while seafood itself will give him a higher hunger value as seafood already gives good sanity and great health values. 

Woodlegs in my opinion, would make a great addition to dst being someone who gets ocean resources early for their team. Things like mussels, salt, pearl and the bosses that most people ignore. He would be something that motivates players to be in the ocean I see two ways that people can play as him. One way is he could be a swap character getting the mussels befriending pearl and killing the boses and ounce you're done you swap back to someone else. Another way is that he could be picked at the start to get everything he needs from the ocean and fish up the ocean chests to get things like gears, gems, armor, and even a walking cane before winter negating one of his downsides. Ounce summer roles around he would be excellent in the ruins because wearing his lucky cap can give him better weapons and armor from the atrium which can be worn or deconstructed for thulecite. Overall woodlegs would have big upsides and downsides, he would give players a reason to try ocean exploration as well as ocean fishing making him a good addition to dst.

Archived