Why I think Klei should add woodlegs to dst

On 1/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, Blue Moth said:

I feel like he'd be seen as just another swap character. Still, great ideas here!

People say this on all the characters that people want to be added.  All the characters can be swap characters if they have personal items.  Winona, Willow, Wick, Webber, and even some of the Don't starve characters (such as Walani) are swap characters.

21 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

People say this on all the characters that people want to be added.  All the characters can be swap characters if they have personal items.  Winona, Willow, Wick, Webber, and even some of the Don't starve characters (such as Walani) are swap characters.

my definition of a swap character is a character who has powerful craftables, but there is very little that makes them fun or valuable after that.The case-in-point for this is Winona, who has very powerful catapults, but beyond that she provides very little, and having a very annoying downside and almost no upside at all.

3 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

my definition of a swap character is a character who has powerful craftables, but there is very little that makes them fun or valuable after that.The case-in-point for this is Winona, who has very powerful catapults, but beyond that she provides very little, and having a very annoying downside and almost no upside at all.

Her upsides are meant for new players who are new to crafting and gathering such as the immunity to the first hit in the dark because newer players don't know how to build fire.

I really hope Klei is paying attention to these threads- (well not all threads obviously..) But in just thread alone there’s a vote for Woodlegs, a vote for Wilbur, a vote for Wagstaff (and you already know I’m voting for Chill Surfer Gal Walani)

(Sorry Wheeler & Wilba fans your votes have yet to be accounted for, probably because doing so is considered as off-topic) 

But there’s a clear fanbase of people who want to see them ALL added to the Multiplayer version of Don’t Starve. 

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I really hope Klei is paying attention to these threads- (well not all threads obviously..) But in just thread alone there’s a vote for Woodlegs, a vote for Wilbur, a vote for Wagstaff (and you already know I’m voting for Chill Surfer Gal Walani)

(Sorry Wheeler & Wilba fans your votes have yet to be accounted for, probably because doing so is considered as off-topic) 

But there’s a clear fanbase of people who want to see them ALL added to the Multiplayer version of Don’t Starve. 

I mainly just want to see Wagstaff and Woodlegs since they are the characters I played in the DLC they were released with.  Primarily Wagstaff since he's probably my most played character.  And being honest I don't really want to see wheeler since I find her a bit overpowered since the dodge doesn't really cost anything and removed the point of armor completely(I don't hate the character I just want to see her reworked a bit).

8 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

No.

No, but seriously. Too many characters in my opinion. We don't need anymore.

Sincerely,

Cactus

We do need more characters.

Of course, I would like to see this character in DST. But it seems to me that Klei will not add him, as well as many other characters for a number of reasons:
- the single project will lose the uniqueness of the characters;
- need to rework the characters;
I will certainly be waiting for all the characters in DST, especially Wagstaff.. But it won't be soon.. As is the promotion of lore in this game...

14 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

We do need more characters.

I was honestly happy with what we had before the big flow of updates. In my opinion, no. I really don't think we do. We have 16 playable characters with varying play-styles. That seems like enough to me.

Sincerely,

Cactus

12 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

I was honestly happy with what we had before the big flow of updates. In my opinion, no. I really don't think we do. We have 16 playable characters with varying play-styles. That seems like enough to me.

Sincerely,

Cactus

I do agree that the game was fine before the updates but I do want to see more characters in the game (Such as Wagstaff) since some of them are very lore important and such. (Once again,  Wagstaff)  But if you don't want to see more characters and want the game to stay the same that's fine by me.

13 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

I do agree that the game was fine before the updates but I do want to see more characters in the game (Such as Wagstaff) since some of them are very lore important and such. (Once again,  Wagstaff)  But if you don't want to see more characters and want the game to stay the same that's fine by me.

If I could trade Walter for Wagstaff, I would. I would ABSOLUTELY trade that rock flinging annoyance. But at some point, the character flow has to stop. But yes, I understand. Well, good day to you sir.

Sincerely,

Cactus

7 hours ago, Russian_Philin said:

Of course, I would like to see this character in DST. But it seems to me that Klei will not add him, as well as many other characters for a number of reasons:
- the single project will lose the uniqueness of the characters;
- need to rework the characters;
I will certainly be waiting for all the characters in DST, especially Wagstaff.. But it won't be soon.. As is the promotion of lore in this game...

Yeah it sucks a man can hope though

2 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

If I could trade Walter for Wagstaff, I would. I would ABSOLUTELY trade that rock flinging annoyance. But at some point, the character flow has to stop. Bu yes, I understand. Well, good day to you sir.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Actually I don’t think that would be a wise investment on Klei’s Behalf.. people play MORE with the games cast of Wacky Characters and their abilities then they do with any other feature of the game- you spend roughly 90% of your time managing your character and the other 10% exploring biomes and the world around you.

You may hate Walter but I know a good bit of people who love him.

When you cut to the selling point: More Characters = More skins for those characters = More sales = Another Character Slot that Klei can offer up a completely unique gameplay experience with.

You say there’s too many characters.. meanwhile I play Smite a game with 110+ characters to choose from and growing.

Sooner or Later characters start overlapping and feeling same-ish but the biggest point should be to turn a profit, and that’s what characters do because that’s what people play with the most.

now please do note: that I’m not saying cease all larger updates and focus entirely on adding characters because eventually.. characters alone get boring without new things to do, new places to explore, new mobs to fight etc...

However- Characters should be equally as important as all that because as I said: They’re what you spend the majority of your time managing in the game.

In fact: it’s ONE of the many reasons I strongly feel Dont Starve has the potential to compete Toe to Toe with Minecraft.

For Dont Starve Together Each character you pick is going to offer up a unique experience exclusive to playing that character: but in Minecraft.. no matter what skin your using your always going to play like Steve or Alex.

Characters are a way for Klei to quote “continue to express their creative freedom & deliver unique & fun experiences like no one else can.”

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

#1: When you cut to the selling point: More Characters = More skins for those characters = More sales = Another Character Slot that Klei can offer up a completely unique gameplay experience with.

#2: You say there’s too many characters.. meanwhile I play Smite a game with 110+ characters to choose from and growing.

#3: Sooner or Later characters start overlapping and feeling same-ish but the biggest point should be to turn a profit, and that’s what characters do because that’s what people play with the most.

#4: However- Characters should be equally as important as all that because as I said: They’re what you spend the majority of your time managing in the game.

(I added numbers to the things I'm going to respond to.)

#1: I get that Klei needs more money, that's the whole reason for the whole Tencent thing. Being how two sided the community is on it.

#2: But Smite isn't DST. You can't compare two COMPLETELY different games and say, "It worked for this one, therefore it'll work for this!" 

#3: Yes. Yes they do. That's one of the any things DST has going for it. It's got unique characters with unique play-styles. Another good example of Characters being worn out is R6. Too many characters IMO.

#4: Agreed. Good characters are what make or break the game.

Isn’t that sort of the point of the ongoing series of refreshes anyway? To make them even more unique and different & make them have “personality”?

Your opinion on too many characters in R6 is subjective- I play with my friends versus Bots (because I hate PvP) and just because there’s so many characters... doesn’t mean I’ll ever play as them. However: Just because I Don’t play as them doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t enjoy playing as them. And that right there is exactly why there’s “too many characters”

Personally I feel like R6 wasn’t properly balanced for PVP so I don’t bother playing PVP.. but PVE... having all those characters doesn’t hurt anything in fact it gives people more options of WHO they want to play as more then it hurts the game.

For Honor is the same way: They’ve added more characters to that all the time but after I saved up for and bought the Nuxia I haven’t played as anyone else.

Even GTA V falls into this same category: they pump out new vehicles all the time but they completely screwed up the moment they added MY version of the Batmobile to GTA Online: I haven’t bothered using another vehicle since.

Dont Starve/ DST However... is very different: I actually DO PLAY as Every Character- because when I grow bored of playing things the Wendy way or the Wortox Way.. I can play the Woodie or Wormwood way and get vastly different gameplay experiences.

Klei should be proud of the unique experiences each character brings.. which is why I dont want them to rush character refreshes.... they need to remain vastly different-

To summarize it into a TL:DR: Give me a REASON to want to delete a world save where I’ve played as Willow for so long I’m bored with her that I now want to delete that world and start over as Wurt to build my own Merm Kingdom. More characters are NEVER a bad thing provided Klei can continue to make them each unique enough to make me want to delete existing character worlds & play as someone else without them feeling roughly the same.

I also strongly STRONGLY feel that since DST is a Sequel to DS that the entire cast should be in the game at some point.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, RoughCactus69 said:

No.

No, but seriously. Too many characters in my opinion. We don't need anymore.

Sincerely,

Cactus

For what reason though? Nobody is making you play new characters but I’m pretty sure a majority of the player base wants more. And preferably useful ones for late game so it’s not just Woflgangs, Wickers, and Warlys. They need to make someone who can compete with Wolfgang or something so he’s not this OP combat character. I think they need a bit of character balancing. 

8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

unless you overproduce them and burn all the ideas and mechanics so you start only doing C&P

The literally said in their post as long as they’re unique and useful basically. Why did you just cut one part out and make it sound like they wanted endless characters no matter what they are like?!

On 1/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

Speed penalty on land is still a bad idea no matter how many buffs you give him to compensate, sorry. Would turn him into an awful character in almost every situation, as speed is one of the most important stats in the game.

The rest of the ideas are okay.

Bro he would literally be able to get a walking cane before winter and speed is his main goal just in the ocean, hes able to do things so much quicker dont even get me started on anemones 

Please keep topics into one central thread if it all talks about the same thing. All suggestions and feedback should be placed in the correct sub forum.

In case you were wondering, I merged all three of your topics about Woodlegs.

Archived