Is Farming Overpowered now?

Now, I love what Reap what you Sow has done to the gardening in this game. Best update in a long time, and the best update for RoT hands-down.

However, after playing with the update for almost two months, I get the feeling that the crop output is too great. I have often been the benefactor of supplying an entire base of 16+ people with properly set up farms.

The only downside is that the first harvest is gonna go directly to the bird to make combo plants, but after that, good gardeners can reliably generate giant vegetables by planting combos and watering/tending to the plants 24/7. Sure, this requires one or two team members solely tunnel visioning on the plots, but that leaves the 4+ other players to not worry about food, sanity, and health. (Seriously, pumpkins and potatos are the GOAT crops, I plant them off-season because they're just that good. Corn is also a really good crop if you can mass harvest them because compost is easy to make early-game.)

Maybe I'm speaking out of my *** and don't know if I could gain this much food doing any other task or that farming is actually hard and I've been playing too much wormwood and got a doctorate in Don't Starve Together Applied Gardening and Planting, but from my experience, I feel like i've been getting TOO much food, and I see tons of forum posts on how people stop planting because they literally have too much food and run out of icebox room.

IDK, let me know what y'all think. Just remember that I will only take posts seriously if you've played more than 90,000 hours of this game.

• Plays the best suited character for farming, aka Wormwood
  • Knows all the food combo to auto-fertilize the crops
  • Prepares the setup during several days
  • Is dedicated to the task of farming all day and night

Constat : farming is overpowered. I don't know :cower:

2 minutes ago, Obviousclone said:

Is putting lots of knowledge and experience into a mechanic and then being rewarded appropriately overpowered?

if something is good then its OP but if it isn't that good its considered trash and should go burn 

(a lot of people seem to think this way and thats quite dumb:lol:)

32 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If one or two people are putting 24/7 effort into a food source it better be feeding 16+ people. Farming is finally viable as an option instead of being vastly inferior to everything else.

It does feel nice that all the farming foods are finally viable and has shaked up the foot meta and brought certain characters back into the limelight, but I feel like pulling 40 potatoes and pumpkins on day 25 is a bit too much, especially when Winter was associated with a barren wasteland where nothing grows and you had to stock up on food sources rather than keeping growing them.

Why would I make drying racks for jerkey when I could farm up potatoes just as easily and produce more in the long run?

23 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

It does feel nice that all the farming foods are finally viable and has shaked up the foot meta and brought certain characters back into the limelight, but I feel like pulling 40 potatoes and pumpkins on day 25 is a bit too much

But setting up a pig farm in the first autumn that gives 20 pig drops every harvest even without werepigs is fine? Spending only a minute or two instead of "24/7 attention" hunting a koalefant to get 8 meat and a trunk is fine? Making a quick trip to the bee farm to get a couple stacks of honey is fine? Kelp, stone fruit bushes, berry bushes & gobblers, and plenty other food sources are all fine? Even ignoring bunnymen who were way stronger than current farming and still a decent food source, there's plenty of options.

I think you think farming is too strong because there was an entire update focused on farming, you read all the guides about farming, and you know how to properly utilize farming.

especially when Winter was associated with a barren wasteland where nothing grows and you had to stock up on food sources rather than keeping growing them.

Winter is a barren wasteland only to those ignorant of the food sources in the game. New players are still going to starve because they don't know how to set up a good farm, better players still have no issue because winter isn't really hard to get food in.

Why would I make drying racks for jerkey when I could farm up potatoes just as easily and produce more in the long run?

Because jerky lasts almost four times longer, restores 15 sanity, is a meat, makes better dishes, and requires considerably less effort.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think it’s over powered, I mean they do have penalties for not caring for them.

Having or not having penalties doesnt change if something is op. Like it needs some work, but after you can get stacks of pumpkin, garlic, potatoes... And the only penalty is a chance to get easiest miniboss, which leaves most helpful thing for farming.

The only thing that stops farming from being op, is how complicated is (and this not penalty). Most people simply may not get they will need gardener hat for research and will plant random seeds with weeds. Probably leaving them for many days without attention or harvesting, because they are used to old system.

The issues I have with farming are the following facts:

• The yield of farms depends on your experience: Farming is underpowered for those who do not understand how farming works and use their crops as Memeballs fillers, but overpowered for the latter ones.
  • It is an infinite food source, not in terms of renewability but in terms of that you can obtain an infinite amount of health/hunger by planting more crops. Crops only can literally satisfy the needs of health & hunger for every player. (Stone Fruits can be conserved for an infinite amount of time without the need of Bundling Wraps, but the bushes do only yield an limited amount of Stone Fruits over time.)
  • It is a feature which rewards you for camping 24/7 in your bae: If you care about your crops, you'll get rewarded with a big amount of crops restoring more health & hunger and lasting for way longer compared to all the loot you would be able to gather outside of your bae in the meantime. Exiting your bae on the other hand "punishes" you with a smaller amount of crops or spoiled crops, which is literally nothing but "ruining your work".
    This fact is also the biggest excuse for forumers about "why crops aren't OP".

Yet I'm not amazed at all that Klei again managed to publish an update which makes surviving even more obsolete in DST, considering their inability to balance their own content.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

But setting up a pig farm in the first autumn that gives 20 pig drops every harvest even without werepigs is fine? Spending only a minute or two instead of "24/7 attention" hunting a koalefant to get 8 meat and a trunk is fine? Making a quick trip to the bee farm to get a couple stacks of honey is fine? Kelp, stone fruit bushes, berry bushes & gobblers, and plenty other food sources are all fine? Even ignoring bunnymen who were way stronger than current farming and still a decent food source, there's plenty of options.

In terms of the output that a farm can give, most of the other methods are lacking when compared to what a handful of seeds and a farm-a-ma-jig can output. Pig farms are definitely important for pig skin, koalas can give instant meat when needed, and honey can last a long time, but I would not rely on these as a primary food source until it gets to late-game with mass honey farming.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I think you think farming is too strong because there was an entire update focused on farming, you read all the guides about farming, and you know how to properly utilize farming.

First of all, thank you!

Secondly, you can be the best koala hunter, berry picker, pig slayer, bunny herder, or bee tamer as possible, but there is a limit to how much can get from a single koalaphant or bee box. Sure, you can build extra houses or boxes to accelerate outputs, but just one farm maker can supply you with room for 36-40 seeds, which will turn into raw ingredients that are more flexible then simple honey or Meats.

I do concede that most of these are easier and quicker to set-up then a fully fledged farm, (RIP my local forest) but once the ideal crops start coming in, it just outpaces other sources of food. 

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Winter is a barren wasteland only to those ignorant of the food sources in the game. New players are still going to starve because they don't know how to set up a good farm, better players still have no issue because winter isn't really hard to get food in.

Because jerky lasts almost four times longer, restores 15 sanity, is a meat, makes better dishes, and requires considerably less effort.

Good points, but I see a lot less pub servers struggling with Winter survival in terms of food when compared from Pre-RWYS and Post-RWYS.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think it’s over powered, I mean they do have penalties for not caring for them.

The penalties are so nonexistent. So you let your crop rot, oh well. You've got a chest full of seeds so it doesn't matter, and you may spawn a fruit fly which dies in like 4 hits. The only real big bad thing to worry about in gardening is getting a Lord of the Fruit Fly, which is comparable in difficulty to a treeguard and drops an uber useful item for farms.

Otherwise, if you're just being a simple farmer, you will rarely encounter danger compared to going out and hunting things that will probably hurt you back. Low Risk, High Reward.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Yet I'm not amazed at all that Klei again managed to publish an update which makes surviving even more obsolete in DST, considering their inability to balance their own content.

idk, I'm enjoying the content, but I do think it could be trimmed down a bit. Also people are still struggling to survive despite how strong farming is, so its probably just you mastering the game at this point.

Farming shouldn't be nerfed with the amount of knowledge and attention required, let people that want to farm all day, have that option to do so.

It is not the best food source in the game or even close to it, any veterans or megabasers won't even use farms unless it is for Warly.

In terms of the output that a farm can give, most of the other methods are lacking when compared to what a handful of seeds and a farm-a-ma-jig can output. Pig farms are definitely important for pig skin, koalas can give instant meat when needed, and honey can last a long time, but I would not rely on these as a primary food source until it gets to late-game with mass honey farming.

But you just said it's 1 or 2 people giving 24/7 attention to the farm. 1 or 2 people giving 24/7 attention to bee boxes can get a lategame bee farm with every single bee box in the world in not much time at all. Especially if they pick Wendy as you pick Wormwood.

Secondly, you can be the best koala hunter, berry picker, pig slayer, bunny herder, or bee tamer as possible, but there is a limit to how much can get from a single koalaphant or bee box.

Just as there's a limit to how much you can get from a single seed, or a single rigamajig. Expand the bee/pig/whatever farm just like you'd expand a garden.

I do concede that most of these are easier and quicker to set-up then a fully fledged farm, (RIP my local forest) but once the ideal crops start coming in, it just outpaces other sources of food. 

Even if that's true, so what? Why is it overpowered for one or two people to dedicate 100% of their time to do nothing except get food? If anything that's kinda weak, food is easy to get. I'd much prefer I need to spend a few seconds getting my own food from the billion sources while I have teammates who're, for example, clearing the ruins and getting a bunch of lightbulbs, than save a few seconds getting my own food but have to do everything else myself because I have two teammates who are just farming a lot.

Good points, but I see a lot less pub servers struggling with Winter survival in terms of food when compared from Pre-RWYS and Post-RWYS.

I don't, I see people struggle just as much. But even if that were true I'd assume it's for the same reason I said earlier, it's the new update. There's an update dedicated solely to farming and nothing else, so everyone wants to start farming, but they suck at it and it's complicated. So they read a guide. Now they're good at farming. If they would have read guides talking about other food sources they similarly wouldn't struggle with winter, but it's just now that an entire update is focused around a food source now they want to read a guide.

And freezing kills people a lot more than hunger in winter, at least from what I've seen. And if you're sitting in base all day tending to the farm you are right next to permanent heat sources and in no danger of freezing.

Easy food sources from farming, fishing, pig houses, juicy berry bushes... I mean despite the name- Starving is the least of your worries in Dont Starve Together.

You say the new farms provide no danger, but I say they lure Bearger right into your farms you could prevent Bearger from ever having any interest in your base Pre-RWYS by simply having no food in your base at all when he spawns in.

NOW most people are going to have nice delicious looking farms for that Bearger to want to come wreck, and the Really REALLY inexperienced players are probably going to have those farms Dead Center of their lovely little Base.

The new system is as op as any other food source that a experience player can explote. It is more difficult for new players than the old method and is infinity way more fun.

I think klei did a great job with it. Maybe it will be more balanced adding more days to the grow cycle or better penalties (rotting plants regrow if you dont harvest them but will add stress to the healthy ones...) but i dont really care.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Bearger never was a danger with few ingame hours. Just run when he will spawn, you have enough time to reach the other side of the island lel

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Klei's absolutely amazing at balancing their game into what they want it to be. I's a shame that you aren't enjoying that, but hardcore survival hasn't been DST's focus for what... 4, 5 years now?

In order to nerf farms they'd have to nerf every other method of gathering food in the game because as it is right now farming is competitive with other sources of food(which it always should have been) and if it was nerfed to not be as good as it is people would just go back to the vast amount of other ways of obtaining food.

Food has always been a non-issue in Don't Starve, the difficulty comes from learning not to die from everything else, and in that department they've added plenty of cool bosses over the years that are actually hard for most players to kill and are possibly adding yet another ultimate boss in an upcoming update that hopefully will bring back the difficulty that Fuelweaver brought on release.

39 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Klei's absolutely amazing at balancing their game into what they want it to be. I's a shame that you aren't enjoying that, but hardcore survival hasn't been DST's focus for what... 4, 5 years now?

39 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

balancing their game into what they want it to be

grafik.png.9e0a4996da7be264074f8e83e423b1a5.png

It seems I’m a minority on this statement, so I’ll concede that it’s more to do with my skill then it is with it being overpowered. Guess those 200,000 hours finally kicked in.

I still firmly believe though that farming is the best food source early to midgame.

Archived