[Poll] On Game Mechanic Reworks

THEY SAYYYYY WE LIVE IN THE DARKNESSSSSSS  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which game mechanic/feature would you wish to be reworked?

2. 2. Which game mechanic/feature would you wish to remain as is?

Hmmm.... Same as Cheggf, I dont want cooking rework, just I would like few recipes to be rebalanced + recipe for pomegranates. But I dont want all rework like farming. 

For many things I simply dont really care or I dont have strong opinion - like walls, rescurretion or domestication... Or rather than complete rework, those would be for tiny adjustments. 

For me they really could rework creature AI, more actions between spiders, something to help pigs, rabbits and merm to teleport to their homes if they get stuck somewhere away...

As usuall I would like to have more aesthetic elements: more looks for rocks, colourfull lichen, damaged marble statues and things like that (instead of looking like new, the Maxwell statue could be damaged and covered in moss/roses), more set pieces... And big marble biome. I really miss proper mable biome from DS, but that one could be with roses instead evil flowers. Maybe we could get Charlie statue?

Well to put it simply: Don’t Starve Together is a 2017 sequel to the 2013 release Dont Starve and it wasn’t until 2019 that we started to see huge game changing updates happening to DST.

As fun as Woodie Moose charge mode is I would kind of like to see a full blown combat mechanics rework.. something that updates a 2013 formula to something for 2021.

That may even require updating the game to a whole new game engine but... I don’t know crap about all the technical stuff (that’s Klei’s Job) 

But after the excellent rework for Farming and also fishing, I think A LOT of things can use that same kind of updated experience.

Combat, Enemy A.I., Beefalo Domestication, Cooking, content/aesthetics of existing Biomes, Even Map travel itself could use some TLC by adding Elevated foundations of land and obstacles that prevent players from walking (or Boating) in a straight line across a flat surface from point A to Point B

But the BIGGEST culprit that needs a TLC update on the same level of the new fishing and farming is that darn horrible Critters Den..... CARRAT Was the best most interactive pet ever.... and I dare anyone to try and change my mind about Carrat :wilson_love:

Combat, Creature AI, Regrowth, and Other (Boating). I'd like to see AI and Boating fixed the most. I hate that the de facto way of fighting Dragonfly is that dumb signpost method that exploits the larvae AI. Same thing with the Ancient Guardian pillar thing. It's also weird to me that the only boat option is a giant floating platform. In a survival situation I'd think the first thing you'd go to is a canoe or raft.

2 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

Combat, Creature AI, Regrowth, and Other (Boating). I'd like to see AI and Boating fixed the most. I hate that the de facto way of fighting Dragonfly is that dumb signpost method that exploits the larvae AI. Same thing with the Ancient Guardian pillar thing. It's also weird to me that the only boat option is a giant floating platform. In a survival situation I'd think the first thing you'd go to is a canoe or raft.

I don't think sailing to a magical moon-blessed island is a survival situation.

Combat I feel could need to be changed up a bit. It's just not particularly fun.

Clothing could need a change, but not in regards to how insulation and such works, but rather the inability to wear armor/clothes together with a backpack. The mod which allows that (so you have 5 slots: hand, armor/clothes, head, backpack, amulet) feels so much better to play with.

Cooking does not need any mechanical changes, but some recipes (mostly buffs neeed) and base fooditems (mostly nerfs needed) really need adjustments. I have an extensive rebalancing thread here:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/123256-food-balancing-attempt-along-with-some-misc-food-ideas/

but I'll add a TL;DR list here too of the most critical foods:

RECIPES:

• Asparagus Soup - Needs a buff (more health and hunger)
  • Barnacle Linguine - Needs a recipe buff (1 veggie instead of 2, allowing easier creation on the seas)
  • California Roll - Needs a buff (more hunger, and swap health/sanity)
  • Ceviche - Needs a buff and easier recipe (more sanity, and 1 fish value instead of 2)
  • Fish Tacos - Needs a buff (more hunger or sanity)
  • Flower Salad - Needs a buff and easier recipe (more hunger, 1 veggies instead of 1.5, and allow sticks)
  • Fruit Medley - Needs a buff (more of all stats, and a fix to not so easily become Fist Full of Jam)
  • Kabobs - Needs a buff (more sanity)
  • Milkmade Hat - Needs a recipe change (allow Lichen to replace Kelp, to make it easier to craft in the caves)
  • Pumpkin Cookies - Needs a buff and easier recipe (more health and sanity, and 1 sweetener instead of 2)
  • Seafood Gumbo - Needs a buff and recipe change (a lot more hunger, less sanity, can have equal fish and meat value)
  • Spicy Chili - Needs a buff (more hunger)
  • Stuffed Eggplant - Needs a buff (more hunger)
  • Unagi - Needs a buff (more hunger and sanity)
  • Waffles - Needs a buff (more hunger)
  • Dragonpie - Needs a recipe nerf (needing 1 Egg too)
  • Fishstick - Needs a nerf (less health)
  • Meatballs - Needs a nerf (less hunger, but bit more health)
  • Surf n' Turf - Needs a recipe change (require more meat than fishvalue - which is implied anyway)
  • Jelly Salad - Swap health and sanity?

FOODITEMS:

• Corn - Less hunger raw, more sanity cooked (so Popcorn has a use whatsoever + makes it indirectly better for recipes)
  • Eggplant - Less healing, both raw and cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)
  • Potato - Less healing and hunger when cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)
  • Pumpkin - Less hunger, both raw and cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)
  • Toma Root - Less healing when cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)

Would also like to see some recipes which requires Durian, some for Pomegranate and maybe also for Carrots?

Personally I think most of these mechanics are like, really really huge and I can't see them getting reworked because of the effort it'd take. I'd say after farming, it'd make sense for mechanics like beekeeping, beefalo as livestock, or volt goats to get a revamp, since they're pretty isolated mechanics that mostly feed into larger mechanics that are already good, like hunger.

Instead of reworking summer i think it should have more ways to combat wildfires and more content to be worth being in the surface .Fire works well, much better than in single player. Maybe soon we will have that control over rain promised

Cooking is perfect imo, some recipes are weak but in terms of mechanic, for a noob, is already complex and need a lot of memory and understanding

Combat for me is perfect, i dont find it boring but maybe because i dont tank 90% of the time. Fighting with the need of kite is simple but fun and i will not talk about all the strategies and tools we have like ice/fire staff, hired mobs, lazy explorer, pan flaute, etc. What i think it needs is more boss fights like klaus or ancient hulk from hamlet not repetitive mobs and bosses with just 1 kind of atack

Beefalos that are domesticated should be less annoying to keep but, with a bush, it doesnt take so much to domesticate them. Some changes to salt licks and making your beefalo forever when you have domesticated him is what i think they need 

Wall mechanics: Wall should protect the player and base. Not player allocated  attention to protect wall used for decoration. 

Hound wave: After more than 200day. It almost just force you go back Trap every three days. and makes you uncomfortable when you go to hermit island and lunar island. Red Hound is a great threat to non-renewable resources and base. (especially WALL) It also generates a lot of rubbish.

Summer:  Winter have Eyebrella, MacTusk, Ice, Sonw, Klaus, Tam o' Shanter...Summer almost have nothing. And wildfire, as far as I know, most people just uninstalled the forest world to escape from it. Because it's a huge threat to non-renewable resources and base (also wall, why?), and not fun at all. Many beautiful base were forced to be built in the antlion desert just because it. How do you respond to a fire that's outside your screen?

Meteor: Actually it working good. Just need a little device to prevent it from appearing without warning, and then destroy everything you've built. Such as some kind of magic air defense missile. mabey red moonlens can be use here?

Edit:

Building place mechanics: omg I almost forgot why I hate base was destroyed so much. Many things, once destroyed, cannot be easily rebuilt. The most common example is cookpot and icebox...

Imagine that there have a huge complex base, you have to take down half of it, just because you want to rebuild only one pig house.

3 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

Meteor: Actually it working good. Just need a little device to prevent it from appearing without warning, and then destroy everything you've built. Such as some kind of magic air defense missile...

Jump up to the meteors and piledrive them away from your structures. 

1 hour ago, Cassielu said:

Hound wave: After more than 200day. It almost just force you go back Trap every three days. and makes you uncomfortable when you go to hermit island and lunar island. Red Hound is a great threat to non-renewable resources and base

With practise you can kill them without traps (i didnt craft a single one in the last 2 real life years and im having more fun than never) and having and iceflingomatic on pearl islans solves the problem with the tiny space. Hounds are fine as they are, makes things like exploring or fighting bosses a little more spicy since, when you already know how to survive or kill a boss, everything become so confortable and this word shouldnt be strong in a uncompromising survival game

Im with you that there should be ways to recover non renewable resources 

Combat

Reworking combat to make it more dynamic would require a rework of the mob's AI, animations and patterns for a large chunk of the already existing creatures as well as weapons and actions from the players.

I'd say just add weapons secondary skills like the forge ones, similar to what the trident is doing, and new mobs with new mechanics.

Overall, you can expand on it with new weapons and mobs, but combat is fine as it is

Domestication

Year of the Beefalo.

What I want is allow us to take the beefalo anywhere, for example, allowing us to get them on a boat and also the caves (and maybe wormholes so that you could get them to the atrium as well). Other than that, I expect Klei to tweak the system a bit  to make it more fun and engaging.

Creature AI

Tallbird maybe? I ponder each time I visit the tallbird fortress if the dev's actual intention was to create a civil war between families

Wall mechanics

Walls are good for what they are, decoration, path finding abuse and capture mobs that don't destroy structures

Meteors

Meteors are good to get moon rocks and regular rocks early game, and the only consistent source of moon rocks outside the moon staff event.

On the bright side, it makes resources easy to get. On the down side, it covers and entire biome and you are pretty much forbidden to build there in case you ever want to have a base that doesn't fall apart

PVP

I had PvP enabled in my server for a long time (because is fun to grief each other from time to time), until me and my friend decided back in the day to explore the new ocean in his "galleon" filled with Winona's catapults and gather some of the new salt resources.

Turns out catapults damage players when PvP is on, and we both died before we even realized what was going on

Summer

Summer is either spend a ludicrous amount of resources to cover your entire base with flingos, or just go to oasis/caves and ignore half the summer mechanics. Is like disease in some way in which the preferred way to face them is to ignore them completely. "Go through the hassle of digging and plating all your resources/fuel all the flingos or turn of disease/go to caves-oasis until summer is over"

26 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

With practisw you can kill them without traps (i didnt craft a single one in the last 2 real life years and im having more fun than never) and having and iceflingomatic on pearl islans solves the problem with the tiny space. Hounds are fine as they are, makes things like exploring or fighting bosses a little more spicy since, when you already know how to survive or kill a boss, everything become so confortable and this word shouldnt be strong in a uncompromising survival game

Im with you that there should be ways to recover non renewable resources 

hmm, what is practisw...practice?

Not survive problem, I mean... I build a base, set trap, make pig house, wall it in......It's supposed to be my safe haven and safe house, my walls, traps and pigs should protect me from danger outside.

But in fact. wall can't do nothing, it offer even less protection than a table. Pig kill red hound on wrong place and burn my base. I haven't had enough time to open ice flingomatic.

I need get off my base to protect my base. how ridiculous.

i vote domestication and clothing. domestication is super tedious for little reward, and your beefalo does not stay domesticated forever. I don't use half the clothing in the game because body clothing takes over backpack slot.

4 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

Just because something has a fantasy setting doesn't mean it can't have internal consistency or should be devoid of realism.

How is making a raft unrealistic? And where is the inconsistency in making a raft?

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

How is making a raft unrealistic? And where is the inconsistency in making a raft?

In what world is that monstrosity that's bigger then a truck a "raft"? If it's anything it's a pontoon boat. If you want to get across water you aren't going to make a gigantic wooden iceberg that takes forever to paddle.

7 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

In what world is that monstrosity that's bigger then a truck a "raft"? If it's anything it's a pontoon boat.

In what world is that little wooden circle a pontoon boat?

9 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

If you want to get across water you aren't going to make a gigantic wooden iceberg that takes forever to paddle.

So you are suggesting that instead of having the raft that you can put masts on to turn into a sailboat and speed it up we make a makeshift raft that we can't put sails on and just kinda sit on and hope it takes us where we want to go? Maybe paddle it a little bit? Doesn't sound very fun.

Archived