[Poll] On Game Mechanic Reworks

THEY SAYYYYY WE LIVE IN THE DARKNESSSSSSS  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which game mechanic/feature would you wish to be reworked?

2. 2. Which game mechanic/feature would you wish to remain as is?

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

So you are suggesting that instead of having the raft that you can put masts on to turn into a sailboat and speed it up we make a makeshift raft that we can't put sails on and just kinda sit on and hope it takes us where we want to go? Maybe paddle it a little bit? Doesn't sound very fun.

No, what I'm saying is there should be lighter options like in Shipwrecked. There can be more then one kind of boat. Just like in real life. And not fun? I guess you didn't enjoy Shipwrecked?

2 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

No, what I'm saying is there should be lighter options like in Shipwrecked. There can be more then one kind of boat. Just like in real life. And not fun? I guess you didn't enjoy Shipwrecked?

In comparation with dst boats, i dont enjoy sw

All time i hear people using sw as example of good ocean content but the sea is barely more alive (jellyfish and few fishes), has a little more recources (corals and what else?) And the boats totally sucks.

Sure, you have more variety but you only at most 2

This chapter of dst is long and i dont think klei will make only 1 kind of boat (that isnt that expensive like some user said) and anyways, the only "problem" with the current boats is that they only have 200hp

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

In comparation with dst boats, i dont enjoy sw

All time i hear people using sw as example of good ocean content but the sea is barely more alive (jellyfish and few fishes), has a little more recources (corals and what else?) And the boats totally sucks.

Sure, you have more variety but you only at most 2

This chapter of dst is long and i dont think klei will make only 1 kind of boat (that isnt that expensive like some user said) and anyways, the only "problem" with the current boats is that they only have 200hp

Time and again, the only thing people seem to enjoy about SW's sailing is that it's identical to walking.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

This. Seriously, when I started to play shipwrecked I was excepting some kind of magical fireworks. But...
Swordfish - equivalent to rockjaws, only doesn't escape.
Gnarwail - is more than Bottlenose Ballphin, BB are more like sea pigs/sea rabbits.
One and other game has bottles with treasure. While in DST I wish for better loot, those bottles are renewable. In SW not.
In SW Jellyfish and fish shoals - in DST more kinds of fish and Sea Bass shoals, which don't escape when get close, but can spawn challenging boss.
For now there are only two sea bosses in DST, but it may change. One of them really sucks. In SW it may be actually one thing better.
Wobsters and kelp/seaweed - same thing
Fishing mechanics - i really like DST fishing mechanics, as in most games I find fishing totally useless/dull. From SW I could only want fishing net.
Hunting white/blue whale? Most disgusting thing ever. Never again.

But SW boat were annoying thing, all time broken, breaking because of water, because using, standing on them, they needed expensive fixing kits, or having extra resources or boats in inventory. Imagine having one-two bee nest for whole map and need a ton of bee stingers to just fix boat for 13809218493021 time.

SW's my absolute favorite DLC world, and I'd even say the boats and content out there in the actual ocean are very lacking. I've seen people say "water shoes" a lot and I definitely feel that, the ocean in SW is just a special type of ground that needs fancy shoes to walk on. The activities you can do out there are neat, trawling is lots of fun and whaling is one of my favorite DS mechanics ever, but in terms of mobs and plants and etc there really isn't much out there and none of it is too interesting (outside of visuals.)

And like, it's an ocean, I know it's meant to be empty and not packed full of content, but there's a specific type of full empty that oceans are and DST is doing it so so well lately. In real life the ocean is vast and empty, yet it's full of creatures and if you spend enough time out there you won't be able to avoid some curious and/or hungry ones passing by to investigate you. DST has exactly that, while SW has mobs and plants just sort of sitting there being boring in the emptiness every once in a while. 

18 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Mechanically I love whales, but... yeah, they lean into a bit of a weird non-DS type of realistic morbid. Visually they should've played up the pinata aspect more than the "this is literally an exploding corpse" aspect. SW was just kind of like that though, it's the same DLC with shark fin soup and specifically "ballphin-free" tuna, though those two at least were trying to send a message.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:00 AM, FairyInABottle said:

Combat, Creature AI, Regrowth, and Other (Boating). I'd like to see AI and Boating fixed the most. I hate that the de facto way of fighting Dragonfly is that dumb signpost method that exploits the larvae AI. Same thing with the Ancient Guardian pillar thing. It's also weird to me that the only boat option is a giant floating platform. In a survival situation I'd think the first thing you'd go to is a canoe or raft.

Yeah boating needs to be better. Boats that are more responsive and look more like boats and have more health.

4 hours ago, Notecja said:

This. Seriously, when I started to play shipwrecked I was excepting some kind of magical fireworks. But...
Swordfish - equivalent to rockjaws, only doesn't escape.
Gnarwail - is more than Bottlenose Ballphin, BB are more like sea pigs/sea rabbits.
One and other game has bottles with treasure. While in DST I wish for better loot, those bottles are renewable. In SW not.
In SW Jellyfish and fish shoals - in DST more kinds of fish and Sea Bass shoals, which don't escape when get close, but can spawn challenging boss.
For now there are only two sea bosses in DST, but it may change. One of them really sucks. In SW it may be actually one thing better.
Wobsters and kelp/seaweed - same thing
Fishing mechanics - i really like DST fishing mechanics, as in most games I find fishing totally useless/dull. From SW I could only want fishing net.

But SW boat were annoying thing, all time broken, breaking because of water, because using, standing on them, they needed expensive fixing kits, or having extra resources or boats in inventory. Imagine having one-two bee nest for whole map and need a ton of bee stingers to just fix boat for 13809218493021 time.

The annoying thing about DST boats is that you contantly have to slow down because of all the bloody boulders in the water that will wreck your ship. I have to look constantly on the map, because I can see the boulders there earlier (atleast on PS4) and I have to take breaks every 5 seconds because new bloody rocks appear, it is horrendous. That is the 1 thing that shipwrecked boats did better, I can either avoid obstacles without knowing 10 seconds before they appear, to not sink my boat or waste boat patches. That beeing said you boat didn't explode when you did ram a boulder or a landmass in SW so that was quiet fun in my opinion aswell.

Boating content in general is a highly expensive investment (even more so if you put structures on it like Salt Boxes & such) but a bare Minimum fully functional boat requires the crafting of Think Tank, Then the Boat Platform, then a mast, then a Anchor, and Steering Wheel- All the other extra bells and whistles are just added resource costs.

But steering a DST boat Especially if playing Solo is absolute HELL.. I hate it, I’m sure it’s better if you have multiple people operating the sails/anchor/wheel- But in DST it’s just the absolute worst..

I just wish there was a little more fine tuning to them, maybe remove some of the 5 billion sea stacks out there and replace those with actual islands with mobs and content and Island specific resources on them.

THAT is what I liked most about Shipwrecked.. having lands you could sail to with vastly different resources and creatures. In DST: Theres just not enough of that currently to get that SW vibe from it.

You got Lunar, Pearls small island and maybe a few Sandy beaches with Anenemy & dead prehistoric fish on it.

the game needs more content: I would like instead of just “Hound Waves” that the ocean could maybe have Electric Jellyfish/Eel Waves.. or maybe one of those Sandy beach shores having Limpet rocks, Crabbits & Palm trees on them.

Right now it just feels like a game that’s very much still in Beta.. that’s mostly empty-ish & will later be filled with more content.

I just wish there were some cheaper boats to craft that looked like actual boats: instead of needing 8 Wooden Planks to build a think tank + Boat Platform, maybe I can create a Wooden Canoe with a Oar without needing to learn that at a Think Tank first..

Maybe the Recipe cost for these smaller boats could be more like 1 Wooden Plank, 4 Silk for Mast, 2 Cutstone, 1 rope for Anchor/Wheel.. something that gets me out on the ocean quicker and doesn’t feel like I’ve lost hours worth of boat building/upgrading when I accidentally smash it into some Sea-Stacks trying to control alone.

they’re designing DST’s boats with a “Together” Mentality, but there’s some of us who hardly have any friends to “Together” With.

What needs to happen: Easier to operate smaller less resource investment vessels, OR allow us to Recruit Pigmen/Merm A.I. To assign as Ship Crew to operate the boats various multiplayer features like raising/lowering masts, anchors etc. 

Games like Assassins Creed Black Flag, and ATLAS allow the player to recruit A.I. Crew mates to allow for better control of your ships at the press of a button.

Why does DST’s have to still remain so... single-player Unfriendly?

What I would like: Boats that look like Shipwrecked Boats and not the cookie thing we have now.. Bridges that look like Bridges and also not still the Cookie thing we have now..

But rather or not I’ll ever get those things is entirely dependent upon how many players want to see those things happen. If there’s not enough fan demand for it: Then it’s probably something Klei shouldn’t waste their time away from their other content plans trying to improve.

TL:DR- while I would love better/more boat types, I wouldn’t want that to take away time they may have had planned for larger content updates.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But steering a DST boat Especially if playing Solo is absolute HELL.. I hate it, I’m sure it’s better if you have multiple people operating the sails/anchor/wheel- But in DST it’s just the absolute worst..

few practise and you will be a sailor

isnt the worts, the worst will be drinking coffe and having more speed with your boat shoes

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why does DST’s have to still remain so... single-player Unfriendly?

isnt unfriendly when most of the content is balanced for 1 player

The sailing mechanic desperately needs a rework.  It is so boring and uninteresting and frankly not even worth the rewards you can get.  Why don't they make the sailing system like Shipwrecked?  They could even add beaches, the quacken, and the other biomes.  Not just one island in the ocean.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:08 AM, Azamagon said:

Combat I feel could need to be changed up a bit. It's just not particularly fun.

Clothing could need a change, but not in regards to how insulation and such works, but rather the inability to wear armor/clothes together with a backpack. The mod which allows that (so you have 5 slots: hand, armor/clothes, head, backpack, amulet) feels so much better to play with.

Cooking does not need any mechanical changes, but some recipes (mostly buffs neeed) and base fooditems (mostly nerfs needed) really need adjustments. I have an extensive rebalancing thread here:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/123256-food-balancing-attempt-along-with-some-misc-food-ideas/

but I'll add a TL;DR list here too of the most critical foods:

RECIPES:

• Asparagus Soup - Needs a buff (more health and hunger)
  • Barnacle Linguine - Needs a recipe buff (1 veggie instead of 2, allowing easier creation on the seas)
  • California Roll - Needs a buff (more hunger, and swap health/sanity)
  • Ceviche - Needs a buff and easier recipe (more sanity, and 1 fish value instead of 2)
  • Fish Tacos - Needs a buff (more hunger or sanity)
  • Flower Salad - Needs a buff and easier recipe (more hunger, 1 veggies instead of 1.5, and allow sticks)
  • Fruit Medley - Needs a buff (more of all stats, and a fix to not so easily become Fist Full of Jam)
  • Kabobs - Needs a buff (more sanity)
  • Milkmade Hat - Needs a recipe change (allow Lichen to replace Kelp, to make it easier to craft in the caves)
  • Pumpkin Cookies - Needs a buff and easier recipe (more health and sanity, and 1 sweetener instead of 2)
  • Seafood Gumbo - Needs a buff and recipe change (a lot more hunger, less sanity, can have equal fish and meat value)
  • Spicy Chili - Needs a buff (more hunger)
  • Stuffed Eggplant - Needs a buff (more hunger)
  • Unagi - Needs a buff (more hunger and sanity)
  • Waffles - Needs a buff (more hunger)
  • Dragonpie - Needs a recipe nerf (needing 1 Egg too)
  • Fishstick - Needs a nerf (less health)
  • Meatballs - Needs a nerf (less hunger, but bit more health)
  • Surf n' Turf - Needs a recipe change (require more meat than fishvalue - which is implied anyway)
  • Jelly Salad - Swap health and sanity?

FOODITEMS:

• Corn - Less hunger raw, more sanity cooked (so Popcorn has a use whatsoever + makes it indirectly better for recipes)
  • Eggplant - Less healing, both raw and cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)
  • Potato - Less healing and hunger when cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)
  • Pumpkin - Less hunger, both raw and cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)
  • Toma Root - Less healing when cooked (Indirectly makes it better for recipes)

Would also like to see some recipes which requires Durian, some for Pomegranate and maybe also for Carrots?

i support the clothes suggestion, why i can carry 8 log suits in my backpack but when i equip just one suddendly im unable to carry the same amount? klei please

1 hour ago, LinknAllie said:

Why don't they make the sailing system like Shipwrecked?

because there is no sailing mechanic in SW xD

klei could c&p a vague single player system of shoe boats but instead they made a very inmersive boat mechanics that allows us to build all we want making it more fun (it is funnier than just using WASD), deep, cooperative (the boats are easy to manage for 1 player but it could be used for more than 1 making a good cooperative experience) and personal experience (some people have kitchents, others tons of chests, other players just the needed, or some have one boat for each task)

It is so boring and uninteresting and frankly not even worth the rewards you can get.

cheap dark swords without penalty, axes to beat toad easily, one of the best sources of veggies and rocks and another good source of veggies, a way to get dragonfruits without grindy seeds to start a dragon fruit farm (which now isnt that a problem like before), thermal fishes, a better icebox for raw foods and a can that can contain a lot of water. All of this in the few sea updates we got

Not just one island in the ocean.

the ocean is still in progress i dont know why people keep saying things like this when is clearly incomplete

they are releasing few things per month to make the game alive for the entire year, is your choice to play the updates when they are live or wait for the entire arc to be complete. The other options they could do is to add everything in one single update but they decided the smart choice for us and for them

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

because there is no sailing mechanic in SW xD

klei could c&p a vague single player system of shoe boats but instead they made a very inmersive boat mechanics that allows us to build all we want making it more fun (it is funnier than just using WASD), deep, cooperative (the boats are easy to manage for 1 player but it could be used for more than 1 making a good cooperative experience) and personal experience (some people have kitchents, others tons of chests, other players just the needed, or some have one boat for each task)

cheap dark swords without penalty, axes to beat toad easily, one of the best sources of veggies and rocks and another good source of veggies, a way to get dragonfruits without grindy seeds to start a dragon fruit farm (which now isnt that a problem like before), thermal fishes, a better icebox for raw foods and a can that can contain a lot of water. All of this in the few sea updates we got

I meant the boat system from shipwrecked.  I find it much more fun then the current sailing system.  But if you like the current system it's fine by me.  I just want the ocean to be more vast and wide.  If KLEI can add a jungle island and other things like the slot machine and snakes I'll be happy.  I just don't want the ocean to stay boring like it is now.  And I completely forgot the saladmanders drop dragonfruit when they get ripe so that's my bad.  

7 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

I meant the boat system from shipwrecked.  I find it much more fun then the current sailing system.  But if you like the current system it's fine by me.  I just want the ocean to be more vast and wide.  If KLEI can add a jungle island and other things like the slot machine and snakes I'll be happy.  I just don't want the ocean to stay boring like it is now.  And I completely forgot the saladmanders drop dragonfruit when they get ripe so that's my bad.  

klei read the forums so they know that the ocean right now is boring outside few zones so, i believe and hope, they will update it with many things

4 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

The annoying thing about DST boats is that you contantly have to slow down because of all the bloody boulders in the water that will wreck your ship. I have to look constantly on the map, because I can see the boulders there earlier (atleast on PS4) and I have to take breaks every 5 seconds because new bloody rocks appear, it is horrendous. That is the 1 thing that shipwrecked boats did better, I can either avoid obstacles without knowing 10 seconds before they appear, to not sink my boat or waste boat patches.

Is your boat just made out of like 30 masts and no steering wheel or something?

On 1/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

Year of the beefalo is coming. Perfect time to give a nice look at Domestication.

it's quite underrated

all you need is a saddle and some twigs and you have a very decent speedboost early game

2 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

2 Malbatross masts, you can't zoom out on console so you either ride your boat just with your map constantly open or you ram every boulder

Winged Sails close instantly though, unlike regular Masts. That makes lowering the Winged Sails a far, far better brake than dropping the anchor and waiting for it to hit bottom, as it can immediately slow your boat to a crawl; enough to drop the anchor for a full stop or to use the wheel to change directions.

Also, maybe don't have both Winged Sails open when sailing into uncharted territory?

(That said, a Crow's Nest attachment to increase field of vision would be amazing.)

5 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

(That said, a Crow's Nest attachment to increase field of vision would be amazing.)

I was just about to mention that. I would adore a Crow's Nest upgrade attachment for masts so much. Hope it comes in an update sometime hehe

2 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Winged Sails close instantly though, unlike regular Masts. That makes lowering the Winged Sails a far, far better brake than dropping the anchor and waiting for it to hit bottom, as it can immediately slow your boat to a crawl; enough to drop the anchor for a full stop or to use the wheel to change directions.

Also, maybe don't have both Winged Sails open when sailing into uncharted territory?

A crow's nest or a spy glass would be a godsend. That beeing said, you are totally right, I used the normal sails for so long that in my mind slowing down the bloody boat with the anchor seemed to be the only option but the feather sails close very fast. So thanks for the tip pal. When you havn't found Malbatross yet, something that happens quiet often, using the anchor remains the only option to stop your boat "fast" and the sea stacks are all over the ocean...I hate those things so much.

Sea Stacks in my experience with them just seem like bad content design.. I mean I have to use my boats oar with the mast raised to paddle to and mine these painfully slowly by hand with a Pickaxe- and even when I do THAT the resources from the dang things drop immediately into the Ocean- So I’m wasting resources crafting pickaxes and I’m gaining NOTHING in Return except for clearing them out of my way for future boating trips maybe..

There should be some easy to get (maybe not tied to some dumb boss) battering Ram I can upgrade my boat with that smashes through these things and actually DROPS the Resources onto my boat: That or let me use the Pinchin-Winch to pick them up out of the Ocean and Mine without you know the contents immediately sinking to the depths below.

I HATE Sea-Stacks, Remove them and replace them with more islands with more unique content and mobs..

Salt Formations aren’t “Quite” as bad as those have some cool mob you get to fight, and the mined resources don’t just immediately sink into the ocean depths.. 

but Sea Stacks- What purpose do they serve aside from smashing your boat into them?

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Sea Stacks in my experience with them just seem like bad content design.. I mean I have to use my boats oar with the mast raised to paddle to and mine these painfully slowly by hand with a Pickaxe- and even when I do THAT the resources from the dang things drop immediately into the Ocean- So I’m wasting resources crafting pickaxes and I’m gaining NOTHING in Return except for clearing them out of my way for future boating trips maybe..

There should be some easy to get (maybe not tied to some dumb boss) battering Ram I can upgrade my boat with that smashes through these things and actually DROPS the Resources onto my boat: That or let me use the Pinchin-Winch to pick them up out of the Ocean and Mine without you know the contents immediately sinking to the depths below.

I HATE Sea-Stacks, Remove them and replace them with more islands with more unique content and mobs..

Salt Formations aren’t “Quite” as bad as those have some cool mob you get to fight, and the mined resources don’t just immediately sink into the ocean depths.. 

you dont need to remove them but if you want use a weather pain or a white oar to get close

the orange amulet is useful to pick rocks before they fall

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

but Sea Stacks- What purpose do they serve aside from smashing your boat into them?

uncompromising survival ;)

Archived