[Poll] On Game Mechanic Reworks

THEY SAYYYYY WE LIVE IN THE DARKNESSSSSSS  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which game mechanic/feature would you wish to be reworked?

2. 2. Which game mechanic/feature would you wish to remain as is?

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

but Sea Stacks- What purpose do they serve aside from smashing your boat into them?

Technically they're also a source of rocks. A really slow to harvest source of rocks that has a lot of them fall in the ocean and be lost, but a source of rocks nonetheless.

But they're just there to add some danger to the ocean. If they weren't there you'd just kinda afk to your destination. Now you're only semi-afking to your destination.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Technically they're also a source of rocks. A really slow to harvest source of rocks that has a lot of them fall in the ocean and be lost, but a source of rocks nonetheless.

But they're just there to add some danger to the ocean. If they weren't there you'd just kinda afk to your destination. Now you're only semi-afking to your destination.

You can also plant Sea Weed planters on Sea Stacks, considering you can't make or replace Sea Stacks clearing them all (which would be a MASSIVELY time intensive task but just for arguments sake) would stop you from ever having barnacles *shrug*

2 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

You can also plant Sea Weed planters on Sea Stacks, considering you can't make or replace Sea Stacks clearing them all (which would be a MASSIVELY time intensive task but just for arguments sake) would stop you from ever having barnacles *shrug*

Technically Crab King respawns the sea stacks around him so they can never all be permanently destroyed.

31 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They're just there to add some danger to the ocean. If they weren't there you'd just kinda afk to your destination. Now you're only semi-afking to your destination.

Yes but.. wouldn’t removing all those from the game and adding some more (not-so peaceful) ocean content into the game achieve that very same gameplay purpose?

things like a Sea Variant to hound waves.. maybe some Small and cool lochness-like mobs? Or Rough waters that don’t exactly smash up your boat.. but will push your character off the side of it if hit by too many incoming waves. A hostile group of flying seagull (not Malbatross) that swoops down pecking at your character stealing away food from your inventory unless you smack it out the air (think Bats but they steal food) would be WAY more entertaining then these... Sea Stacks.

39 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

now this part- I did not know Thanks (but I would still probably prefer a lot less Sea Stacks in the game)

Anyways, I’m sorry if all it ever seems like I do is complain I absolutely love the game.. but as long as it is still being updated and fine tuned with content: it doesn’t hurt to discuss the things we like/dislike or wish was done better.

I hope that us doing this is not discouraging the development team, I absolutely love & admire all the hard work they’ve put into these Return of Them updates & character reworks, it’s just some things (like Sea Stacks) are boring.. and I hope are very much still a Work in Progress. :wilson_love::wickerbottomthanks:

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes but.. wouldn’t removing all those from the game and adding some more (not-so peaceful) ocean content into the game achieve that very same gameplay purpose?

It would achieve a similar result for much more effort on the developers' part.

Or Rough waters that don’t exactly smash up your boat.. but will push your character off the side of it if hit by too many incoming waves.

That is, if my math is accurate, exactly one hundred thousand times worse than damaging the boat. If your boat crashes into a sea stack it loses a bit of health and probably gets a hole in it. You fix the hole, the boat is fixed, all is good. If you get knocked off the boat you lose a large portion of your items, you get the TTH max health penalty, you become very wet, and the entire boat is guaranteed to be destroyed with you being unable to prevent it. With no pilot the boat will continue on its path until it crashes into enough things to destroy it. Even if there aren't any sea stacks it'll still crash into land, islands, salt stacks, or the edge of reality. Even if, for some reason, the boat is completely stationary and has the anchor down but you still got hit with the waves (making the waves unable to be avoided by being stationary unlike sea stacks) you would still get all the previous penalties in addition to needing to make a new boat to get to your old boat.

I also assume that these "rough waters" would move? Making them both more dangerous and more difficult to avoid? And wouldn't that just be exactly the same as a sea stack except being more dangerous and difficult to avoid? Both rough waters and sea stacks are just things in the water that you don't sail into.

A hostile group of flying seagull (not Malbatross) that swoops down pecking at your character stealing away food from your inventory unless you smack it out the air (think Bats but they steal food) would be WAY more entertaining then these... Sea Stacks.

I think batilisks that steal would be way more annoying than sea stacks. I see a sea stack coming I click slightly to the side of it and avoid it. I see a bunch of dumb seagulls circling around me I need to stop sailing completely to fight them off.

You know.. maybe your right, maybe it would be a lot of unnecessary work and hassle on them. But I just can’t help but thinking with the emergence of new consoles (Series X & PS5) that perhaps a lot more could be done for the game for those consoles- even if it’s more work on the developers behalf, I would like to think that they want to offer unique features/gameplay/advancements on the new hardware that wasn’t possible or was very limited on the old consoles. Even it means me having to go out and buy a brand new next Gen console to get a more life like, content rich experience out of DST (think Less sea stacks & more activity in & at the ocean) then that purchase would be without a doubt worth it.

Im just looking at it like GTAV for Xbox 360 compared to GTAV on Xbox One and then there’s also going to be a GTAV Series X edition..

Im holding out hope Klei has huge plans for the newer consoles, even if that sadly means a discontinuation of content updates for the old consoles (again GTA V..) everyone pretty much agrees that ocean content is lacking & needs more work-

But what about other areas of the game? What do you feel could be expanded & improved upon that may or may not include even updating the game to a new engine?

I guess what I’m trying to say is with the dawn of new much more capable systems.. what would you want to see out of DST?

Just to be very clear on where I stand: I’m not discussing updates that should happen tommorow, I’m discussing updates/things I would like to see that will keep me playing the game for the next few years on my brand new console.

(when and if I can ever get one..)

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You know.. maybe your right, maybe it would be a lot of unnecessary work and hassle on them.

I didn't mean that. I'm just saying that it would be more work, which is possibly the reason it isn't like that. Maybe in a future update there will be more things similar to what you said, but they just wanted to release what they had now.

I only have 5 little things I want to be done to the game and other than that I don't care what updates do. Almost every single update so far has improved the game, they can focus their efforts wherever they want. I don't mind.

4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I would absolutely love any bosses in Shipwrecked or Hamlet that feasibly can be ported into DST to be added at somepoint. I know that there are some that wouldn't work but the majority of them seem like they could easily be slightly changed and added to DST in some way.

I love that snake concept, that digs underground from the Pugalisk so much. The Sealnado is also a brilliant thing!

Archived