Bestiary?

I like filling out the cookbook.

I like filling out the plant registry.

I like mobs, give me a bestiary.

While it might be asking much given the sheer amount of mobs (and some of them having override builds, multiple parts, etc. which imo sounds like a nightmare itself) I think there would be a benefit to having one for newer players as well. By having them be recorded when killed, it'll reward players with information for trying to fight threats rather than trying their best to avoid them. 

I don't need to look far online to find people struggling in the game looking for help and the usual response ends up being "crack open the wiki", which can be understandably offputting to some. A bestiary could be a nice ingame solution to part of that. 

I'm sure people smarter than me can easily point out more benefits of having an ingame bestiary. But I don't play much of Don't Starve Together these days and filling out the cookbook/plant registry has not only been fun, but continues to be helpful in the few playthroughs I do. Maybe make it interesting for veterans by putting in descriptions with lorebits about those mobs, idk.

I still just want something similar to Spelunkys Journal- It only fills in content once YOU discover that content for yourself & kill/die to, or figure out it’s use yourself.

Items you have yet to craft/discover/etc will remain blank in your journal until you encounter them.

Spoiler

B8594C31-806D-442D-8D77-6F623B869223.gif.2683f7ae06f3fd6fb513f998c902a831.gif

That's the kind of stuff I like to play for, but not exclusively for, it's just a nice addition for completionist players and it can certainly help new players to figure how much they have to see on this game.

I honestly have no idea how complete such a thing should be btw, I mean, things like HP are important info, but what about damages (which can be different from a moment to another), movement speed and the occasional components such as alimentation, loots, location / seasons... I think a description should be more beneficial for these last things. :) (and fish compendium too)

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

It only fills in content once YOU discover that content for yourself & kill/die to

Bearger! Bearger! Come here Bearger! Okay, I have a book, and I need to get some research done. You see this pie? You want this pie, right? Kill me for it!

(I love the idea and would enjoy a Bestiary)

I think Deep Rock Galactic has a good bestiary, of which they added recently. In it you can see each creature sorted based on type and hostility, and each one when clicked on gives you a front view, side view, and back view in conjunction with stats, a brief description, and where/when they appear; the only catch is that you need to either have killed one or be killed by one to get its entry in the bestiary. I'd love to see a variation in DST eventually.

On one hand all of me says no, on the other, there's not really a reason not to. I just want to feel special for playing for a year and remembering the stats from wiki XD I'm not a new player anymore so I don't need it, but if it appeared it's not like it would impact my gameplay much. If newer players would benefit from it, it's probably a good little addition, as long as it doesn't reveal *too* much about the mob. I for one wouldn't like if, for example, it mentioned that Bearger will chase you if you have honey or what trinket Antlion likes the most. 

4 hours ago, Leonardo Cox said:

I don't need to look far online to find people struggling in the game looking for help and the usual response ends up being "crack open the wiki", which can be understandably offputting to some. A bestiary could be a nice ingame solution to part of that. 

I have never once seen someone struggling with a monster and been given the solution "Go to the wiki". What information would a bestiary even have in it that would help a new player? It's not like the enemies in this game have complicated attack patterns where they're usually unsafe to attack, then when it's time you need to hit a specific weak point. It's just hold F until he's going to hit you then dodge.

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I desperately want something like the Piklopedia, with Wilson giving entirely incorrect "scientific" explanations of each mob's biology, and Warly giving instructions on how to best prepare them for a meal.

That would be epic, and not only for Wilson or Warly. Imagine Willow descriptions for monsters... 

58 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I have never once seen someone struggling with a monster and been given the solution "Go to the wiki". What information would a bestiary even have in it that would help a new player? It's not like the enemies in this game have complicated attack patterns where they're usually unsafe to attack, then when it's time you need to hit a specific weak point. It's just hold F until he's going to hit you then dodge.

At the time of writing there is a topic directly under this one called "This game is way TOOOO HARD" who was having problems with many things, including bosses/mobs and have been suggested to read stuff up on the wiki. Granted I don't think they were specifically mentioning to look up mobs on the wiki, but there are many threads like these out there and some are specifically mob related.

There is more information that could be useful outside of attack periods and pure stats. Like when/how they spawn, diets, how hostile they are, etc. I'm sure most new players will take awhile before they learn things like that they can plant pinecones to pacify treeguards. Regardless of complexity, stats would be nice to have handy.

If we ever go through with this, can we make the item like Walter's exploration book, I'd like to believe in my head Canon that when Walter first arrived in the Constant, he basically make his own Guide book writing all the constants creatures down similar to how he has his own camping book. From the real world.

Archived