This game is WAY TOO HARD.

OP, assuming that you’re serious I really question how you managed to make it through dark souls without having a working knowledge of attack patterns.

There are tons of crockpot recipes (pierogi is an easy example) that heal you and with the new farming system food and healing and sanity have even more options.

It sounds like you’ve played 100 hours of pub servers across the world, which would explain why you’ve learned some bad habits.

Step 1: in any new world is to outline the map while foraging food and gathering resources.  Once you get gold you can make a science machine and get a backpack, log armor, spear, and shovel.  Precraft an alchemy engine and make sure you have at least 8 reeds.

Step 2: Choose your base location and make a crockpot and fridge.  Easiest places are one of the deserts because you can pick cactus with armor on to only take 1 damage, and cook over a fire since cooked cactus gives 15 sanity each.

There are tons of ways to solve food problems but assuming you’re playing as webber spider civil wars are an easy way to create enormous amounts of food, silk, and glands which heal you for 8.

You can punch butterflies by using the force attack key and also make a bird cage to get eggs, which along with monster meat and filler can produce pierogi which heals for 40.

You will need to learn to kite, but again dark souls should have prepared you for this.

have you looked up any guides on the mechanics of the game?
by saying that the only items around to heal you give +2 HP, you are indicating that you do not know of a crockpot's existance, and stemming from that, you don't know crockpot dishes.

like gaymime said, toggle with the world settings to try and identify where you are going wrong, and turn off those for the time being until you can get used to it, then try it again. 

also, please do not think you need to beat bosses. you do not. for every boss, you can either ignore them, run away, or wait until they despawn. especially for new players like you, just dont engage.

(also, agreement in the lack of pausing being a problem. lol!)

i feel like this post could benefit from more details. what is giving you the most problems, and how? what is happening to have your sanity and health so low, and what can you improve on in this regard? what about winter is difficult? is it the temperature? learn about the thermal stone, and about the different clothing items you can wear. is it the lack of food? learn how to safely kite animals such as tallbirds, pigs, and beefalo, learn about iceboxes, and dig up berries to plant in your base. (they do not grow in winter, but if they are unpicked they will stay that way and can help in a pinch.)

take it slow and steady. and please, please do not neglect looking up guides if the game frustrates you that much. good luck

Keep learning how to use spiders. The three drops they provide are always useful.

Monster Meat is not impressive on its own right, but you can use it in crock pot recipes as a one of, or turn it into eggs using a birdcage.

Spider Glands can be used as small healing, or you can upgrade it with a rock and some ash (burning a grass or twig with your torch) and restore 20 health.

Silk is an all around great crafting material, most notably it can make winter clothes and tents for healing and sanity boost. (At the cost of some hunger)

Keep experimenting in general. 

To add to/agree with stuff others have already said here...

Spoiler

--The crockpot is a REALLY big deal.  The description just says something vaguely about "better foods", but having one meatball in your belly can make the fullness difference that gives you enough time to tackle the _other_ problems.  Once you know how, it can also make other recipes that specifically help with healing and/or sanity. 

--Fishsticks give 30 HP, froggle bunwiches 20, pierogi _40_ HP (need a supply of eggs) and honey ham/honey                  nuggets help with both sanity and healing some.  Dragonpie is great too, but don't get hooked on JUST that.  There        are other options.  (Also the new farming is way more complicated than it used to be.)

--Unless you're playing as Webber, NEVER more than one monster meat in the crockpot at once.

--I don't know if anybody else said this, but DRYING RACKS.  Jerky gives a little food, healing _and_ sanity.  It takes a while to make, but if you have a _bunch_ of them and a good supply of (non-monster!) meat, then the time it takes won't matter as much.  What you want is for at least one to always be drying while you're harvesting a piece.  Living near a bunch of rabbit holes can help.  (They close up in the spring, but you're trying to get through winter first.  If you DO make it to spring, frog ponds are a good source of non-monster meat in that season.) 

--Rabbits also provide earmuffs for the winter, and you don't even need a science machine for them.

--ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have grass and wood on you, for fires.  You probably already knew this.  But especially in winter, where you might have to make a fire partway through the day for _warmth_, rather than just one fire at night. 

--Keep the pine cones and birch nuts from the trees you chop down in the early days to plant them at/near your camp, so you'll have a nearby supply of firewood.
--Try to only chop down full-sized trees, as those are the ones that drop seeds.

--Twigs and flint are important to have on you too, so you can make new tools when the old ones break.

--ARMOR.  Always have a logsuit ready when you're about to fight something, and if it's low durability make and have another one in your inventory--it'll replace itself automatically when the first one breaks. 

--Once you have a football helmet, you might as well wear it most of the time, as it doesn't lose durability just from          being worn.  So it's like a bit of armor you can always have on, that doesn't take up your backpack slot.

--Why the Desert is Cool:  Cactus is good for sanity (IF YOU COOK IT), also decent food value. 

--Tumbleweeds have grass and twigs in them even when those things stop growing back in the winter.
    --There's also a mini-savannah with rabbits in one of the deserts.

--Rabbit traps also work on spiders and frogs. This was a big revelation to me.

--Some animals have herd behaviour.  DO NOT hit penguins, frogs or beefalo when there are any others even slightly nearby, as they'll all swarm you.  Don't hit a spider while standing on its web; that draws out the entire nests' worth of spiders to attack you at once.  If you hit a spider where there's a group of nests, you'll be attacked by spiders from all of them.

--Last but not least start off by playing BY YOURSELF or only with good friends you can trust not to grab everything, as otherwise the basic materials I said you should always have, like flint and grass...might've already been grabbed by people.  If you want to make sure stuff is available, alone at first might be the way to go.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but it's a complicated game.  : P

I should also probably  point out that the character you pick to play as will directly impact how easy or how hard your gameplay is going to be.

For Example: if you die a lot to Shadow Monsters consider playing as Willow and when insane just throw your teddy bear on the ground and let it enrage to kill shadows for you.

If you pick to play as Wendy Sanity should never be an issue again due to free top hats- but should you loose sanity, Wendy’s worst enemy are those same Shadows Willow Dominates over.

Wilson and Webber BOTH have not been refreshed with their unique gameplay reworks yet- so I can’t tell you how they will play, I can tell you that they’re no where near as fun (obviously) as the already Reworked list-

Winona, Woodie, Willow, Wendy, Warly, Wigfrid and also the better designed DLC characters Wormwood, Wurt, Wortox & Walter.

Characters Not yet reworked are: Wilson, Webber, WX78, Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, Wes & Maxwell

2 hours ago, GrandTardigrade said:

Back when I started playing, I had to make a lot of worlds too. In my first world, I was killed by bees on day 6.

oh man, i think i can give you a good run on that one. i once died of starvation on day three because i turned up merms and spiders, set the starting time to spring and couldnt stop running long enough to be out of radius of everything X'D i was too new to be able to fight bees and there were clockworks in the spot that had no spiders or merms

6 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

dwoning bosses without getting hit in Dark Souls

I can't even pass the Lizard (Ravenous Crystal Lizard) in dark soul 3, but survive just fine in DST, if you want to rush things in DST, search for Edgy Rick stuff on youtube for Tips.

all you need to survive is Meatballs for hunger and Pierogi for health which is not-so-hard to get.

A general tip I'd give is that while the crock pot is definitely really helpful, it's not 100% integral if all you're looking for is hunger. Butterflies, seeds, berries and carrots are generally enough to survive as long you ration them properly. Try to remember also that there's no functional difference between being at full hunger and being at 1 hunger, there are no negative effects to low hunger until you hit 0 and start starving. 

13 minutes ago, Psychomaniac said:

search for Edgy Rick stuff on youtube for Tips.

Don't ever do this, actually. Not only does Rick generally not know what he's talking about when it comes to the game, but also if you take one step into his community you'll see that his toxic attitude extends to real life and leads to really hateful things that you absolutely don't want to get sucked into.

This isn’t really a specific tip about stats or items, but if you’re not already doing so, try to play with other people. I know some people play by themselves and that’s cool, but this game thrives on teamwork. Not only can you get more done to prep for winter, you can learn a lot about what to do in the game way quicker than you would solo. When my buddy and I started playing together, neither of us were that great, but as we grew to learn the game we were able to share the little things that we picked up on. We got a lot better just by figuring things out together. Once you’re more experienced, playing solo gets much easier.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

toxic attitude

Yeah, i' ve noticed that too, but he did rush things pretty early, i just went there to see how he rushed things (and did learn something) and ignore toxic stuff. if you're easily influenced then Edgy Rick is not recommended.

I think Edgy Rick genuinely made the DST community hate on Wolfgang, bc they associate him with Rick. I don't get why so many people dislike Wolfgang, he's a scared fluffy fat man.

On topic, give it time and it will become too easy. And approach things with less anger and more curiosity.

I highly advise against watching ANY YouTube or Twitch streams (unless your there just long enough to get the newest twitch skins and leave..) I especially enforce this if you are a CONSOLE player (apparently your not but I’ll share this tip anyway for people who are) 

Trying to find out ANYTHING about your version of the game often gets buried in a confusing mess of PC Mods- you can’t tell what IS and what ISN’T part of your game, if your playing on PC you might see the mods being used in the description of the poster and can download them to try for yourself: But if on console it is a highly inaccurate and highly false representation of the game your playing.

I wish there were more people who made guides for the console version of the game- so the video I’m watching (as well as the button prompts being displayed) match the version of the game I’m trying to learn how to play.

11 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

If my HP gets low there is like NO WAY to get it back up besides items that gives like +1 or +2 hp

Eat butterflies. Use ctr + f to auto target closest creature, get close enough and hit it. You don't even need a weapon. There is tons of butterflies each season but winter and each gives you 8 hp + hunger.

9 hours ago, Toros said:

OP, assuming that you’re serious I really question how you managed to make it through dark souls without having a working knowledge of attack patterns.

My mechanical skills are no problem. I even beat Nier Automata on Very Hard aswell where one hit = death and I tend to have a LOT of patience. But DST kills you in such unfair ways it breaks me mentally. Thanks to overcoming these other challenges in different games my ego is HUGE and that is why I'm so furious trying to just be able to play DST. The problem before have been the high ping because my partner who I play with is on the other side of the planet. Being the one to host helped to make the game playable.
It's really the management of EVERYTHING that makes me crumble after a dozen or a few dozen ingame days. I wanna farm materials but if I do that I end up hungry and then I get food and I don't have enough materials because I didn't have time to farm enough. And everything just goes against me and it comes across as very unfair. Get ALL the things before the clock says "Release the hounds" or "Unleash Winter". So in my eyes this game forces you to speedrun perfectly or you're dead ingame and want to die irl.

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

The thorny vines are from a weed called spinyweed. You need to locate it and shovel it away, or it will keep attacking you whenever you try to pick a plant. (There maybe be more than one so make sure to check all the plants).

Holy **** thanks. Another thing that annoys me(Probably because I'm already furious) is that you would never be able to figure this out without "cheating" by looking up things online. I am at that point now where I can't beat this game by myself and HAVE to look things up which makes me feel defeated already.

Well, DST isn't Dark Souls. Not every game is the same. I can literally hold a World Record for one game and completely suck at another. This game is also designed for multiplayer, so of course playing alone will be hard. DST is a game about planning everything ahead, not just a single part where you get stuck like Dark Souls. Once you get the hang of it, the game is really fun to play.

I play for a while now and the game becomes a place for me to chill and relax with base building and farming, or just go all ham on myerdering monsters and exploring the unknowns in the caves.

As for the tips, everyone above has already shared useful tips, mine is just the same as them. Don't be afraid to ask things that you don't know.

7 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Don't ever do this, actually. Not only does Rick generally not know what he's talking about when it comes to the game, but also if you take one step into his community you'll see that his toxic attitude extends to real life and leads to really hateful things that you absolutely don't want to get sucked into.

Funnily enough I looked up guides on youtube before I fell asleep last night and all the vids were by this Edgy Rick guy lmao. I think if I study him or other players speedrunning stuff in the game I might get an idea of what I am meant to do and what is viable just to stay alive atleast. I won't need a scale-something-I-didn't-even-know-existed by day 20 or 50 berry bushes ever :) Not dying is simply the goal.

7 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Funnily enough I looked up guides on youtube before I fell asleep last night and all the vids were by this Edgy Rick guy lmao. I think if I study him or other players speedrunning stuff in the game I might get an idea of what I am meant to do and what is viable just to stay alive atleast.

While I wouldn't recommend watching speedruns to learn normal gameplay, if you're absolutely persistent to do so than please don't go with Edgy Rick. Even ignoring how he is as a person, the guy genuinely does not know what he's doing in the game and will teach all sorts of harmful ideas about it. If you want a recommendation of someone who does speedruns but is generally better at it, I'd go with Misuto.

I love that this game doesn't hold your hand :) I wish there were more games like this. Having said that I struggled myself the same, and same as you I had 100+ hours played and kept dying from random stuff. All I can say is it takes practice and figuring it out how you want to play it. Personally, tutorials didn't help me, wiki did a bit, to learn about what each ithem does and how seasons work and so on. But in the end for me it was about figuring out which character suits my gameplay. It was wigfrid for me, tanky and conflict engaged character and ever since I picked her my gameplay improved, I was able to survive longer etc. Wickerbottom was great too in the beginning and she allowed me to progress as well. So basically find your playstyle and then it all picks up!

edit; I also remember it helped me to switch to solo DS, I played like 300 hours there and then I came back to DST. So I guess I just got a lot of practice on how to survive

16 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

lol I was literally just thinking to myself "Honestly, this game is just learn the meta and play only the meta or you die."
That's what I meant by you have to speedrun this game. There is no time to relax or farm materials for fun to save up for later. No, farm only this much and then RUN and get enough of alll those things and make sure you get x,y,z,Þ on the way or you will die in a few days. Play the game perfectly or suffer the consequences basically.

Well, I too meant that when I said you shouldn't speed run :D You can take your time in the early game and there's really no need to stress about anything. Just make sure you have the thermal stone before winter, keep moving to find new food every day, and that's it. You could try playing as Wendy. She won't get insane that easily and Abigail will protect you from all smaller mobs that try to kill you. Meanwhile you can focus on other things.

Like I said in my first post here: if you think DST is hard.. do not ever play DS single player, it has the pause button you complain about DST not having but... it’s also 1000x harder with things that block your progress, bridges that serve as choke points that are slam full of enemies you must get past, fires don’t burn for as long as they do in DST, the thermal stone in solo DS has infinite durability but it also goes cold a lot faster, and if you die you do not become a spooky ghost- the game just deletes your save so your forced to start a new world. Adventures Mode in solo DS is a quest of your Endurance across 5 gimmick filled chapters of randomly generated worlds.

DST does not currently have an Adventures Mode... but I’m still going to hold out hope that it gets one someday, I would LOVE to See DST get DS Solo and DS Solo’s DLC expansions levels of Difficulty added to it someday.

It may frustrate some players, mostly the ones who picked the franchise up with DST having never played DS... But I’m pretty sure Almost EVERYONE who played the Solo DS is holding out hope that DST becomes just as challenging as it was someday.

Mechanics that were introduced in Shipwrecked and Hamlet like enemies that inflict you with poison that continuously drains your health core until you craft an Anti-Venom, chopping trees having a % chance to spawn a hostile mob (and no not the easily avoidable Tree-guardians) Entire Biomes that are highly hazardous that require you to wear protective clothing to travel through, New weather seasons etc..

For people who have been playing the franchise since it’s first entry, we’re praying that someday more of that first entry difficulty (and a global pause button) comes to the significantly easier DST.

Archived