This game is WAY TOO HARD.

3 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Honestly wish I could just set my own spawn point in my base and revive there at full hp, hunger and sanity everytime I die.  I don't mind losing the recipe things because I never have any anyway. But losing the map exploration is just ..wtf come on..Just have a normal mode where dying doesn't give you an eternal punishment.
I don't know how you guys say there is tons of stuff. When I need a booster shot I don't have the stuff to make it. And going on an adventure for that is gonna punish my hunger/sanity/hp to the point where there is no way to come back anyway.

I found like 3 green caps in my last playthough and that isn't even enough to solve my sanity problem. And even when I am in dire need of them and lets say i would find plenty there would be no time to stay still and cook multiple green caps and then eat multiple caps before I get mutilated by these shadow creatures. There is no winning ones you go off the speedrunning route or make a mistake. Maybe if all you had to manage was hunger and HP this game would be playable.

Roguelites might just not be your thing, man. It is actually fine to have things you don't like and aren't good at.

You can more or less "set" a respawn point with a meat effigy, but it's under the magic tier and can only be used once per effigy. Rot for booster shots can pretty easily be gotten by getting some spare food and just letting it spoil. Juicy berries in particular have a really fast spoil time.

If sanity is your problem pick more flowers, wear a garland or top hat, don't get into fights unless you have to (especially not with boss monsters as they drain your sanity MUCH faster). Killing the shadow creatures that span when you go insane will also restore some of it. They're pretty easy to kite and have a short attack radius. Just bait an attack from them, dodge, and hit them once. There are also crockpot foods such as taffy you can make to help with sanity. The game has ways to counter pretty much every issue with your stats you come across, it just doesn't spoon feed them to you.

It might also be the character you're choosing to play as. Some of them are much more difficult to manage than others. Webber would get you a lot of resources but his sanity pool is lower and you go insane much quicker, but it's also easier to restore a lower max sanity than a high one. Maxwell doesn't really need to worry about his sanity but he's made of paper and isn't much good in a fight.

Couple things:

1.  If you go Wilderness mode, when you die the world itself stays put, including everything you bulit.  Your map is erased, but YOU will have full everything and might luck out and find your own old base quickly.  A way to help this is to make your own landmarks, such as planting trees alongside the roads that lead to/near your base.  Or make a sign that says "Base this way".

Or, of course, you could spawn WAY in the middle of nowhere.  But, Wilderness _is_ a way to make it so that the death of you doesn't mean the death of the world.

2.  Jerky!  NOT monster jerky.  It helps with all three things--food, sanity _and_ healing.  If you live in an area with lots of rabbit  holes or frog ponds, you'll have a good supply of small meat for it.  Make lots of drying racks not just one, and in time it'll start being a nice resource.

But like others have said, perhaps this game just isn't your cup of tea, and that's fine.

...Notorious

On 12/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, Mike23Ua said:

The main thing you need to remember is that DST is an open world SANDBOX Game, do what you want to do, go where you want to go, explore what you want to explore- and for godsake don’t try to “SpeedRun” an open world sandbox game where what you choose to do is entirely up to you.

Klei essentially made the entire game a speedrun by design. The hunger and sanity never stops going down meaning you HAVE to rush everything or you die. That's what I mean when I say speedrunning. There is no free time to do anything for fun. Only focus on survival or you get punished by having your game deleted or your max health decreased or your map progress deleted. Even if you base up and wanna chill the hounds will attack eventually and if you haven't rushed weapons or armor you're gonna get chased, you won't have time to gather materials to survive and eventually you die.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:53 AM, Monkey Cups said:

Roguelites might just not be your thing, man. It is actually fine to have things you don't like and aren't good at.

I'm starting to think so too. I'd like to put this to the test. Do you know any other Roguelike/lite games that would be considered difficult?

Rot for booster shots can pretty easily be gotten by getting some spare food and just letting it spoil. Juicy berries in particular have a really fast spoil time.

Don't get me wrong. Actually getting those few required items is not that hard in itself. It is the repercussions by spending time collecting those items that spell death for me. Once you die you're just in a downward spiral on your way to death and it's only a matter of time before you die and if you try to save yourself from prior punishments the game will make sure you die for real the next time without a chance to make a comeback.

It might also be the character you're choosing to play as. Some of them are much more difficult to manage than others. Webber would get you a lot of resources but his sanity pool is lower and you go insane much quicker, but it's also easier to restore a lower max sanity than a high one. Maxwell doesn't really need to worry about his sanity but he's made of paper and isn't much good in a fight.

So far I really only gave Wilson and Wolfgang a fair shot. If I can survive at all I think Wolfgang would be a better option than Wilson seeing how powerful Wolfgang CAN get while Wilson is just always meh. I only played Webber a little bit years ago.

Well...if the game is all about speedrunning, then what about all those people who have megabases and/or worlds in the hundreds or THOUSANDS of days?

Clearly, they must be able to chill at least _some_ of the time, because GOD DAMN!

The _first_ winter and the _first_ hounds are harder, after you've dealt with winter once you can face it again with more confidence, and, here's a cool thing:  Hounds drop the tools of their own destruction!  After a few attacks, you can start making a tooth trap field, and the more hounds it kills, the bigger the field can be. By Day 100 it oughta be enough to take out the Day 100 hound mob easy, and at some point, I'm not sure when exactly, you start being able to just stand in the middle of it and not move, long enough for your character to start idling.

boringtraps.png.fae788812c00a0291ef853d73d823990.png

...yawn... (and yes, that is a screenshot from my own playing)

Before that, there are multiple ways to get other mobs in the game to fight the hounds for you.  You might not luck out and live near them, or find them in time!  That's what happens with procedurally generated worlds.  But there are definitely ways to take care of them, that then leave you time to relax a bit afterwards.

...Notorious

4 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Klei essentially made the entire game a speedrun by design. The hunger and sanity never stops going down meaning you HAVE to rush everything or you die. That's what I mean when I say speedrunning. There is no free time to do anything for fun. Only focus on survival or you get punished by having your game deleted or your max health decreased or your map progress deleted. Even if you base up and wanna chill the hounds will attack eventually and if you haven't rushed weapons or armor you're gonna get chased, you won't have time to gather materials to survive and eventually you die.

because you are learning. Every player here have experience it and it is the fun of the game.

Later when you will know how to manage hp, sanity and hunger you will have a lot of free time to do other things like farming to kill a boss or base build

later, when you will know how to kill properly bosses and get more experience making the base you will have even more time to do other things like fishing big fishes, growing giant crops for just decoration, making more ambitious bases, trying other characters, making challenge like lights out worlds or any other random stuff

when i started playing the game i often die of starvation in winter (vanilla dont starve), later my, when i learned, my fridge was fill with rotten food because of how much i can gather

here there is not experience bar, is your knowledge what makes your character stronger

the map progress deleted can be avoided and again is something that other games share for that the map is generated randomly

it could be so frustrating, and for that i guess you came without being polite, but for other people is fun

i always use the same example but for me dark souls is boring but other people love it because of his mechanics. Same can be applied here

i guess the problem is because you played other adventure games that doesnt have this feature of perma death as unique/default feature (im just assuming it, nothing else) but try to understand that it isnt a fully adventure rpg game, the random component is strong and makes the game spicy. Try to think about your worlds like learning worlds that will be deleted eventually

Consider playing as one of the reworked characters and leave the 7 not yet reworked ones mostly untouched so you don’t get used to how they play now and then get upset when they’re reworked later.

The 7 not yet Reworked Characters are:

Wilson, Wolfgang, WX78, Wickerbottom, Webber, Wes, and Maxwell.

Everyone else has been made an absolute thrill to play as with unique gameplay features, Craftable structures, gameplay mechanics etc.

The 7 listed above are still running on Outdated technology, they play roughly the same as they did in 2013 (with minor tweaks) and Will be made more amazing at a later time to fall in line with the rest of the awesome reworked ones.

Dont Starve has 3 (sometimes 4) things you will need to constantly manage: Health, Hunger, Sanity and Wetness.

During Winter and Summer (and sometimes Spring) you will have to deal with additional threats of being Too Hot or Too Cold.

But hunger is pretty easy to manage, health is also easy with the healing tab.

actually you know what? Now with the latest update Reap What You Sow hunger should be a complete non-issue for every character except Wigfrid.. I mean you can literally grow fields of food now by doing much of nothing.

Wigfrid only eats Meat- but she also spawns with helmets and weapons to help her acquire that Meat.

Also every character except Wigfrid and Warly can literally eat butterflies for easy food and hp’s.

Hunger can be easily managed by simply finding and eating food (you can literally survive off just eating things you find growing out the ground)

Health and Sanity is easily managed by sleeping in a tent or siesta in exchange for hunger points.

(Wickerbottom can’t sleep so she’s the only one excluded from that list) 

Sanity can also be managed by wearing head garlands, top hats, or just plucking flowers.

The last one: Wetness- this only happens in Spring, and your character will get drenched in endless rainfall you can combat against this by just wearing a straw hat, holding an umbrella and hiding under a tree but that’s the most basic way to handle it... you can also seek higher tier items like Eyebrella that gives 100% wetness resistance.

Other games similar to DS are: 7 days to Die (make sure your playing the mode where dying means world deletion) Ark Survival Evolved, State of Decay, State of Decay 2, Atlas

Basically-they’re all open world games with severe punishments for dying.

You can even include Minecraft on this list if you play on Hardcore mode where starving to death can happen and dying means the items in your inventory get erased out of existence when you die.

21 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

I'm starting to think so too. I'd like to put this to the test. Do you know any other Roguelike/lite games that would be considered difficult?

Spelunky HD, the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and Nuclear Throne are the big 3 for me. They're not survival like DST but they're all games with permadeath that completely regenerate the world on each attempt.

Anyway, I really do think the whole "speedrunning is necessary" attitude is incorrect, as a lot of people I know (including myself) play the game pretty slowly and still get success. Rather than trying to do the perfect speedrunning strats, I'd recommend that you always try new things near the start of the game, getting grass and twigs and berries and such should be consistent but try not to stick to always doing one thing if you're not getting success from it. With games like this it can sometimes feel like you've figured out what you're "supposed" to do and just aren't executing it perfectly, but that's not always the case, sometimes you just need to experiment more to find something that really works for you.

For example, you mentioned green caps not being enough to keep your sanity up, so why not try something else?
- Lots of items in the Dress tab, usually crafted with spider silk, will restore your sanity over time while worn.
- Picking flowers in an area can give a nice easy boost, just make sure to leave a few in an area for butterflies to spawn
- Crock pot food in general tends to restore your sanity, especially recipes involving honey or ice, and even if it's not a recipe meant specifically for sanity it'll still give a nice little boost.
- Sleeping in a tent during dusk or night restore lots of health and sanity over time, while costing hunger.
- Crafting a new item with a science machine, alchemy engine, etc, will restore a bit of sanity, so you can strategically wait to craft items (or craft something you otherwise wouldn't like hay walls) to get that sanity when you need it.
- Cooked Cactus Flesh also gives 15 sanity each, like green caps that can be more consistently found and farmed.
- And while it doesn't regain sanity on its own, you can bait out attacks from a shadow creature by standing still and then walking out of the way right when the shadow tries to bite you. That'll give you the extra time you might need to cook something or craft an item to actually restore your sanity.

And that's just the options that come to mind off the top of my head. Point is, there's no one perfect way to do anything in this game, so you should always try to experiment with new ways to do the same task. Try to apply that sort of thinking to other things you might be having trouble with. Hounds are killing you if you don't have weapons and armor? Why not try to find ways to take out those hounds without needing either, like leading them to other mobs they might try to attack and then get killed by? Keep in mind also that almost no mob in this game can catch you as long as you're walking away from them at a leisurely pace, so you can run from hounds as long as you need if you're prepared for stuff like darkness in advance.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:36 AM, BIZaGoten1 said:

Nice I got 40 days into my server and died. Timer ran out, I restarted the game and I can't rollback :) Glad these devs really made a great game :) Really amazing feature that it deletes the entire server and every save file of it :) great feature really :) 

So is there anyway to restore a world after you lose the option to rollback?

set the world on endless . ..
i think the timer after death is plenty enough to go to touch stone or roll back server 

i got some advice to u 
-get basic stuff go to mosaic where u can find rocks and gold. make science machine prototype spear, log suit, shovel , backpack, prototype the alchemy engine but dont place it down just yet . also dig grave for easy gem and gear.
-gather as much as u can twig grass while map all edge of map .. dont worry about food if found berry and carrot or kill butterfly is plenty enough to survive (as wig kill frog, mole worm, pig men, or spider) 
-when u see all the edge (day7 or so) u willl find a perfect spot for basing . 
perfect place to base for me is close to main point of interest of map . like desert, pigking, swamp etc . 
specific biome to base for most people : 1.pig king biome where many pig men and cat for easy meat farm also have tons of mushroom 2. near the beefalo in savanna. they will help with ur hound wave so freaking good. when hound howling just go near beefalo . they will re-agro somehow. or before they spawn hide with bush hat they will automatically agro on beefalo when spawning .
-place down the alchemy engine u made ...dont bother making walls or too much chest. for early base u need 2-4 crockpot . an icebox, fire pit birdcage and lightning rod 

-start making prestihatitator then make ur best revival item ! live giving amulet , carry it around always on ur inventory space not in backpack! 
and make shadow manipulator, forgot to mention u can get ez living  log by chopping totally normal tree on forest.

-care for catcoon they steal stuff on ground . make chest for pigskin and other edible stuff for other mob to steal . dont make base too close to frog pond with berries around it it have a goose nest mark where spring boss spawn , mole will steal ur mineral but if u dig it burrow u can take it all back . 
at that time u have plenty of time to make grass and twig berry farm or if u want make pig farm before fullmoon --full moon is every odd number +1 (ex: 11, 31, 51)--  lure em out with wall (3x4 wall without edge) and a piece of pig skin dropped inside . dont worry u can also make pig into warepig by feeding them 4 monster meat for easy 2 meat and skin guarantee. 

every mob in this game is attack in same pattern learn to kite to better survival , try not panic when insane . try kite the nightmare creature get many nightmare fuel and sanity back upon the death of em 

soooo many more tips that u wont be really figure it out by playing dozen of times trying and dying .. enjoy it while it last , the other player i know bored because this game actually work in pattern once u get it u will feel bored easy . the player that stay ... stay for the community and base building aspect . 

image.thumb.png.7cf0f83b9ca8a8fb54f6d98581c083ad.png

image.thumb.png.2cc328a957c676bedeea9db21077ec23.png

cheers 
from someone who dont have base until late autumn cus too busy rushing bosses and dem juicy stone fruit bushes 

Archived