This game is WAY TOO HARD.

As title states this game is ridiculously difficult. I've got almost 100 hours and I still can't make it past winter if I even make it to winter at all. I get the feeling that you need to speedrun this game perfectly to not die and have enough of everything to actually be able to make it and it's SO frustrating. I have no problem dwoning bosses without getting hit in Dark Souls or speedrunning other games with relative ease. But this DST game just won't let me conquer it and It's getting to the point where I can't take it anymore. What the actual **** am I supposed to do to survive. If my HP gets low there is like NO WAY to get it back up besides items that gives like +1 or +2 hp and if I focus on that then my sanity or my hunger is gonna falter and once I change my focus to hunger then my sanity is too low and I'll get ****** because my health was still low. There's literally no way to make a comeback in this game, it is honestly TOO punishing. If you make a mistake you're better off making a new world and that just ******* sucks because I want to progress. not restart and do the same thing over and over. I can't even read things online about the game without ******* dying because there is literally no safe area at all in this game and I can't pause cuz it's constantly online.

I am so mad that I can't overcome this childish cartoon game. Help.

summary:  I can't manage hunger sanity hp all at the same time without losing my sanity irl.

this was me when i first started playing. took a break from the game, picked it up again after a few months, and i haven't stopped playing since. just practice and look for info online and you'll be fine! there's tons of experienced players willing to help out newbies as well as servers with other new people you can learn with. the learning curve is steep but it's satisfying & worth it to get over :]

First of all: do not try to speedrun. It's hard and you should try it only after you can survive all 4 seasons relatively easily. Speedrunning is bad because it makes you focus on wrong things. You don't really need anything else but food and a light source to survive. I don't really know what your playstyle is like, but I feel most newer players spend too much time in their camp and eventually run out of vital resources like food. Imo it's easier to survive if you build a small camp with an alchemy engine and crockpot, and only drop your stuff there + get some more crockpot food before you leave again.

Useful things you should prototype early:
Log suit and/or football helmet
Alchemy engine
Healing salve
Spear
Thermal stone when winter is getting closer
Crockpot

Easiest ways to get more hp and sanity for most characters is by eating certain food items, and you should see a crockpot recipe guide for that. You can get sanity by sleeping in a tent too.

If you are a pc gamer there is a mod that let's you pause your self hosted servers, you could give it a try.

Try not to be too frustrated and take your time to learn, it should be fun. :) If you host a public world with a name that asks for more experienced players to give you a tip or two, you could meet some really nice people who are willing to give you a hand.

Also, it would help if you'd tell which characters you've tried/like to play as. Some of them are easier than others, and they have different playstyles.

Well, this game is entirely about learning. You won't get anywhere doing the same thing over again. Or only eating the same things.

Once you know what does what, then you'll thrive.

5 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

What the actual **** am I supposed to do to survive. If my HP gets low there is like NO WAY to get it back up besides items that gives like +1 or +2 hp

And for this. Try killing butterflies. And eat the wings. Its good first autumn healing.

for starters, if you're having trouble with health early game you can kill butterflies during the day as long as it isn't winter. to get your sanity up you can prototype items in the science machine and alchemy engine. you can also find and cook green mushrooms, and there's tons of structures and items to help you gain sanity early on.  

if you're not having fun or if you feel burnt out, it's fine to take a break. that's what i did. the only way to get good at the game is to genuinely want to learn and to genuinely want to have fun.

34 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

As title states this game is ridiculously difficult. I've got almost 100 hours and I still can't make it past winter if I even make it to winter at all. I get the feeling that you need to speedrun this game perfectly to not die and have enough of everything to actually be able to make it and it's SO frustrating. I have no problem dwoning bosses without getting hit in Dark Souls or speedrunning other games with relative ease. But this DST game just won't let me conquer it and It's getting to the point where I can't take it anymore. What the actual **** am I supposed to do to survive. If my HP gets low there is like NO WAY to get it back up besides items that gives like +1 or +2 hp and if I focus on that then my sanity or my hunger is gonna falter and once I change my focus to hunger then my sanity is too low and I'll get ****** because my health was still low. There's literally no way to make a comeback in this game, it is honestly TOO punishing. If you make a mistake you're better off making a new world and that just ******* sucks because I want to progress. not restart and do the same thing over and over. I can't even read things online about the game without ******* dying because there is literally no safe area at all in this game and I can't pause cuz it's constantly online.

I am so mad that I can't overcome this childish cartoon game. Help.

summary:  I can't manage hunger sanity hp all at the same time without losing my sanity irl.

hi there, so i think i need to say something since i am not sure anyone else will;

it is 100% valid to use the world-gen toggles to make the game a little bit easier while you are working up to being good at it. if hunger is killing you set your berries to 'lots' if sanity is the issue same to those mushrooms, if you are dying so easily then you can turn off hound waves for a while. while there are some nasty little creeps who will sneer at anything less than self-flagellation most people wont care if you use the built-in system of difficulty toggles. the devs want you to enjoy the game so save yourself some heartache and play on an easier difficulty for a while. you are a literal beginner, there is nothing wrong with not playing on a harder difficulty level while you are still new to the game

7 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

You're aimin' to be good at this game right? You should start polishin' up your skills, not get mad an' all that. It's just a video game, ain't it?

I would say "That's a lotta apostrophes." But I do that a lot too.

A few things I can say is don't set up a base right on day 1, you don't wanna have to walk to the other end of the map for some manure. Kill butterflies for HP, Always keep moving in the swamp. Get a spear and a log suit before day 8, and probably have started a base by then. 

10 minutes ago, Mrklli said:

First of all: do not try to speedrun. It's hard and you should try it only after you can survive all 4 seasons relatively easily. Speedrunning is bad because it makes you focus on wrong things. You don't really need anything else but food and a light source to survive. I don't really know what your playstyle is like, but I feel most newer players spend too much time in their camp and eventually run out of vital resources like food. Imo it's easier to survive if you build a small camp with an alchemy engine and crockpot, and only drop your stuff there + get some more crockpot food before you leave again.

Useful things you should prototype early:
Log suit and/or football helmet
Alchemy engine
Healing salve
Spear
Thermal stone when winter is getting closer
Crockpot

Easiest ways to get more hp and sanity for most characters is by eating certain food items, and you should see a crockpot recipe guide for that. You can get sanity by sleeping in a tent too.

If you are a pc gamer there is a mod that let's you pause your self hosted servers, you could give it a try.

Try not to be too frustrated and take your time to learn, it should be fun. :) If you host a public world with a name that asks for more experienced players to give you a tip or too, you could meet some really nice people who are willing to give you a hand.

Also, it would help if you'd tell which characters you've tried/like to play as. Some of them are easier than others, and they have different playstyles.

Thanks I feel this hit the spot. I do tend to make a base and stick nearby since I'll die if I explore too far out in my experience. Actually that might be another thing. I die when I explore too far or take risks so the game has taught me not to do that but thanks to staying put in my base I die eventually anyway even if it seems successful at first.

As of now I get overwhelmed by all the ingredients I have and can't figure out how to min-max them for perfect usage and end up just cooking the ingredients seperately unless I can make meatballs since that is the only recipe that got stuck in my head.

The pause mod will be nice, thanks!

I've only touched Wilson and Webber. Only reason I went Webber before was to avoid dying to spiders because holy cow 80% of my playtime has been on like 300 ping and kiting is not an option at that point so I was forced to stay away from any mob that could hurt me. Hounds = game over pretty much. But these last days were better when I hosted myself and could actually kite and kill stuff. Didn't help all the way but was an improvement for sure.

Another tip I really recommend (because I wish I followed it when I first started out)

Is try not to follow any "meta's". I know that they have their reasons for being considered meta, but it leads newer players in complete wrong directions.

A few examples I have are when I first started out, there was the "ice meta" where because ice never rotted in a fridge, it was the 'best filler of all time' and never use any other filler. Of course I tried to follow this when I was starting out, but quickly found myself starving because I refused to use any other filler.

And another meta (which I'm sure some people will get a kick out of this) was the "always be insane" meta. It was recommended in some guides that being sane is never a good thing. Well after a few days of insanity and now having terror beaks at the top of my "often killed by list". I learned that staying insane is a  TERRIBLE idea. Because you can't work on stuff, you will always have to stop what you are doing to fight shadows. (Of course being insane is one of the only ways to get nightmare fuel, which is useful, but it's not useful enough to justify always being insane)

2 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Another tip I really recommend (because I wish I followed it when I first started out)

Is try not to follow any "meta's". I know that they have their reasons for being considered meta, but it leads newer players in complete wrong directions.

lol I was literally just thinking to myself "Honestly, this game is just learn the meta and play only the meta or you die."
That's what I meant by you have to speedrun this game. There is no time to relax or farm materials for fun to save up for later. No, farm only this much and then RUN and get enough of alll those things and make sure you get x,y,z,Þ on the way or you will die in a few days. Play the game perfectly or suffer the consequences basically.

It's only a question of how you practice in the game, if you are struggling to progress, don't be ashamed and ease your experience for a moment, there's settings during the world creation screen to customize your gameplay, like make hounds less threatening, or autumn just a bit longer, if you start getting good enough and figured out how to play around these feature, make the game more and more standard until you can survive a full year, at this point, bravo, it's quite a good start. (I don't recommand to use mods at the start, even the one that make the game easier, a lot of players can't just get off these sometimes)

The other important things you should do it browse the wiki for useful informations, such as cooking recipes for your different stat needs, seasons (so you know what will happen and what you should look for, like the Walking Cane in winter before boss... I really don't know at which point you are in the game)... Learning is what you need to keep on going longer and longer, from mistakes or basic survival knowledge you can get from videos and tutorial.

One more things, just some tips :

1. Look for mounds (tombstones), once you got your shovel, dig them, loosing sanity is not a big deal compared to what you can get inside, one of the most important item can be found inside : The Life Giving Amulet, so you can revive in ghost form, once you know how to get gems and craft more of these amulets, it will be no problem to resurrect yourself easily.
  2. Now if you need sanity... Pick flowers, honestly do it, there's biomes with dozens of flowers inside and each gives you 5 sanity per flower and they do grow back later so you don't have to worry about anything, even myself with 6 000 hours on it, if I need instant 200 points of sanity, I just go in the nearest plains and start pick flowers.
  3. Armors are OP, the best you can get as a beginner is the Log Suit, it can tanks a lot of damage for you, use armors to practice your kitting with mobs : the "hit and run", each mob have a pattern, you can hit them X times before you have to dodge, it can increase depending of your speed, so don't be greedy at the start dodging early for the moment, if you feel comfortable try and see if you can fit another hit.
  4. I could give you billions more but I'm lazy, I wish you good luck and please do check some guides, tell us if you've made progress, that'be sweet :)

i haven't read the entire thing yet but let me guess, you are sh!tting that all mechanics that are introduced in winter are too hard/bullsh!t for you? Or you are sh!tting deerclops?

ok i have read the entire thing, complaining at sanity, AND hunger, quite unique, good job :-D

ok seriously tho, i have method for you: learn about armor in this game and crockpot dishes, read the wiki, and if you really don't like the fact that you can't pause the game, just install a pause mod or something :d oh and if you are looking for a safe place, then just find a place that has literally nothing and you'll be safe

1 minute ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

lol I was literally just thinking to myself "Honestly, this game is just learn the meta and play only the meta or you die."
That's what I meant by you have to speedrun this game. There is no time to relax or farm materials for fun to save up for later. No, farm only this much and then RUN and get enough of alll those things and make sure you get x,y,z,Þ on the way or you will die in a few days. Play the game perfectly or suffer the consequences basically.

Yeah, trust me you don't need to do anything in this game perfectly to survive. As someone said above, all you really need to survive is food and light (and heat for winter, which usually comes from light). And if you are playing solo. You will have plenty of food from just a farm plot and a stack of berry bushes at your base.

Alright I’m going to say this in the politest way that I can- despite the colorful and childish looking art style and the interesting cast of characters DS and DST are meant to be some brutally uncompromising wilderness survival simulator games.

AND if you have trouble with DST (which has a multitude of ways to heal, revive, Respawn etc..) I highly suggest not playing the single player version where: Dying in that actual DOES mean full game save file deletion. (And if your going insane trying to play DST, Don’t even attempt to quest through 5 randomly generated worlds of Singleplayer DS where dying in world 5 means returning to world one.)

This game has an astonishing rate to attract a younger audience, but it’s not really a game designed for a younger audience- it’s meant to be brutal, its meant to be uncompromising your meant to have to manage several things going wrong at once

the GOOD news is you can make the game a little more unforgiving by changing options such as hosting Endless Mode servers without Hound Wave attacks, Winter or other challenges that annoy you- I would recommend that you start by toggling off things that your unfamiliar with and as you learn more about the game- turn them back on when you feel comfortable in doing so.

Otherwise- Watch some online guides, or buy the Single Player version and then after playing that for a while and getting good at it, come back to DST and laugh at how easy it is compared to that.

I want to say a few things. First of all, find important materials when you start the game such as grass, rocks, twigs, flint, wood and some gold. Have a backpack and always have that materials in your backpack. Learn a few cooking recipes that gives health or sanity. Eat cooked green mushrooms, 1 butterfly + 1 vegetable + two twigs will give you 20 health. Always wear an armor. Most imlortant learn seasons and prepare yourself. In autumn get a termal stone and make a winter hat. For spring make an umbrella or raincoat, for summer an umbrella is still good and you can use your termal stone after store it in the fridge. First year learn staying alive at the seasons. After these steps you will be okay. You can learn about mobs and bosses. After learned the game its easy to play. :) have fun. 

This is a survival game. Sooner or later, you will be skilled enough in it to "conquer it", but try going with the "survive it" mindset first. 

Back when I started playing, I had to make a lot of worlds too. In my first world, I was killed by bees on day 6. Second world, I died to darkness. Third world, I managed to make a base only for lightning to strike it and lose everything. Fourth world, I set the world to have more food, longer day and less enemies, and I managed to survive for several hundred days (while avoiding any bosses).

This game is rough and it will punish you for every mistake, but getting mad because of that won't really make you progress. As you learn more and more things, every step will be easier than the last one. Learning to fight bosses once you know how to survive is way easier than learning to survive without any clue. I also recommend playing the game with a friend. Learning the basics is much more fun with someone else, and it's also easier to laugh at your own mistakes with someone else.

Ah, I remember those days. I know you can and will get better. It's all about prioritizing and understanding risk vs reward.

As others have said, changing world settings can be a wonderful way to get better at the game as it allows you to experiment a little more with less risk. I used to do that often.

Some simple tips:

-Butterflies give 8hp

-If you can get a birdcage and be good at killing spiders you can make pierogi pretty easily. Especially with the new farming system, veggies are easy to get, but even easier is mushrooms. To make a simple pierogi (37.5 hunger, 40 health) use, a mushroom (like a redcap), one monster meat, one egg (you can feed the bird in the birdcage a monster meat to get this), and one filler like a berry or even another mushroom.

-Try and explore the world the 10-15 days, don't just stay in one place.

-Make science machines as you travel and hammer them down to get back some resources once done. The science machine is especially good for making and hammering since its so cheap

If winter is such an issue, make it shorter and make fall longer. This can help a lot. Also, I hate wildfires and don't even turn them on, so feel free to do that for summer.

Archived