This game is WAY TOO HARD.

6 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Holy **** thanks. Another thing that annoys me(Probably because I'm already furious) is that you would never be able to figure this out without "cheating" by looking up things online. I am at that point now where I can't beat this game by myself and HAVE to look things up which makes me feel defeated already.

You're just angry. I figured it out because I was keeping an eye on my plants and once the weed appeared I was attacked. Got rid of it and suddenly there's no problem. 

I don't know if anyone suggested it to you yet, but if you'd like I can play with you. It might be hard to arrange but if you're willing I'm available.

i think u play on hosted server (play alone) right ? if there something make you die press tab there a 3 dot menu called server action .. u can choose rollback option to last save available .. 
image.thumb.png.3a6cf2c10f761702ee639fdac5a0d102.png

i made some mod list to make game a bit easier for new player 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1988993987
this not much but its really help me alot when i still new to the game..

i also recommend this 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928fOfZqINw 
video on how to survive on early days 

also u can also try join public server with low day count .. make sure u come on autumn .. so u can learn more from other people.. 

Hope those helpsXD

9 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Holy **** thanks. Another thing that annoys me(Probably because I'm already furious) is that you would never be able to figure this out without "cheating" by looking up things online. I am at that point now where I can't beat this game by myself and HAVE to look things up which makes me feel defeated already.

I wouldn't say you are defeated by looking up things. If you are stuck and you don't want to spend hours trying to make an attempt at fixing what went wrong, using a guide is perfectly fine. I used to do it quite a bit when I was new, and knowing what is coming up in advance will really help you on what to do next. It might take away some of the charm of learning things yourself, but I personally find it better for the main experience you are getting, especially if you only learn the basics and leave other things up to your discovery.

Also, there are quite a few things that are extremely difficult if not impossible to understand without someone looking them up first. I don't think anyone would understand how to summon one of the later bosses if they were not at least hinted at how to do it (spoilers for you about the boss are below, by the way).

Spoiler

The Ancient fuelweaver, said later boss, requires you to build a specific skeleton orientation, in a specific area (the aitrium gateway), which is gated behind a big tentacle which requires you to either get lucky with big tentacles or kill enough to find it, assuming that you know you can jump in it. You then also need to bring a shadow aitrium from doing another boss fight on a specific phase of the moon, and the ancient key for turning on the gateway.

That's just to summon it. That's not even considering all the other prep you will need...

7 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

i made some mod list to make game a bit easier for new player 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1988993987
this not much but its really help me alot when i still new to the game..

The crockpot mod might be a good way to realize what options I have with my ingredients, thanks!

20 hours ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

My mechanical skills are no problem. I even beat Nier Automata on Very Hard aswell where one hit = death and I tend to have a LOT of patience. But DST kills you in such unfair ways it breaks me mentally. Thanks to overcoming these other challenges in different games my ego is HUGE and that is why I'm so furious trying to just be able to play DST. The problem before have been the high ping because my partner who I play with is on the other side of the planet. Being the one to host helped to make the game playable.
It's really the management of EVERYTHING that makes me crumble after a dozen or a few dozen ingame days. I wanna farm materials but if I do that I end up hungry and then I get food and I don't have enough materials because I didn't have time to farm enough. And everything just goes against me and it comes across as very unfair. Get ALL the things before the clock says "Release the hounds" or "Unleash Winter". So in my eyes this game forces you to speedrun perfectly or you're dead ingame and want to die irl.

If you’re dying to spiders, your mechanical skills are a problem, but it doesn’t sound like they’re the major problem.

It sounds like your major problem is ego and time management.  The actions you’re taking aren’t efficient enough to keep your stats up which causes you to fall into a losing spiral.

What you need is an efficient set of strategies that solve problems with a minimum amount of time invested.

Webber is a very easy character to survive with because you can set up spider nests and make the spiders infight to drop essentially free loot.  You can do this by feeding a monster meat to a spider and going to attack another, but cancelling the swing before it connects.

Webber can eat monster meat raw for easy hunger, or 1 monster meat + 3 berries or crops or even ice to make meatballs.

This also gives you silk and spider glands, which you can use to make fishing poles, bug nets, bird traps to get even more food.

Wear armor and pick and eat cooked cactus to restore sanity easily.

Dark souls might require timing during combat but there are no time limits or efficient planning as you move through the levels required.

To put it in perspective in DST I play a character who spends most of his time with double to triple hunger drain and I manage to keep his stats up.  I don’t have to do anything difficult to accomplish this other than being efficient with my time.

The way I learned the basics of the game, originally, was by watching Let's Plays on YouTube--but, here's the thing:  BEGINNER Let's Plays.  They were by people who were just as confused about the game as any other brand-newbie, and I mostly learned from _negative_ example, aka "Okay, now I know what NOT to do."  Like, Jacksepticeye taught me not to go out in winter without protection and Sips showed me why you shouldn't get careless around red-butted beefalo.

The basics I learned from these videos allowed me to get to night 36 on my first try--which means _I made it through winter_!--but then I died of darkness since the forest I was in was so dense, I literally couldn't put my fire down in time.  : P

Now, the _exact_ videos I watched, I would NOT recommend nowadays, as they were for singleplayer and vintage 2013.  But, if you can find decent modern (post-farming-update) beginner gameplay for DST, that might be a good way to learn without just having all the expert tips thrown on you at once.  Sometimes it helps to see someone else's learning process.

Spoiler

Also DO FREAKING _NOT_  go with Edgy Rick; he's so biased towards certain characters and against others that if a character he hates has good points, he won't even mention it.  He legit actually leaves information out.  If I knew how to exclude certain channels from my YouTube searches I would, 'cos he shows up WAY too often and way too close to the top of the results.  The other day I was looking up new LP's of DST I hadn't seen before, and Edgy Rick just _cluttered_ the freaking top 20 slots or so.  Oof.

...Notorious

On 12/19/2020 at 5:23 AM, BIZaGoten1 said:

My mechanical skills are no problem. I even beat Nier Automata on Very Hard aswell where one hit = death and I tend to have a LOT of patience. But DST kills you in such unfair ways it breaks me mentally. Thanks to overcoming these other challenges in different games my ego is HUGE and that is why I'm so furious trying to just be able to play DST. The problem before have been the high ping because my partner who I play with is on the other side of the planet. Being the one to host helped to make the game playable.
It's really the management of EVERYTHING that makes me crumble after a dozen or a few dozen ingame days. I wanna farm materials but if I do that I end up hungry and then I get food and I don't have enough materials because I didn't have time to farm enough. And everything just goes against me and it comes across as very unfair. Get ALL the things before the clock says "Release the hounds" or "Unleash Winter". So in my eyes this game forces you to speedrun perfectly or you're dead ingame and want to die irl.

Wow, i admire you coming out and understanding your shortcomings! don't give up this game is super worth it and id give anything to experience that curve again. All you need is to sustain yourself for a year by discovering or looking up important info about the world, that's all you're lacking. i recommend the cookbook to use the in-game methodology to see the stats of food and paying attention to your stats when you try new stuff. be adventurous, experiment like Wilson and have a genuine laugh at the many silly ways you can die! 

Listen bro, you’ll eventually get the hang of it: and if your like me you may even grow bored of knowing exactly what day winter starts and ends on, so you get Chaotic & you set your seasons to random season lengths and start times.

you could have 2 days of Autumn, 1 day of Summer, 3 days of Winter, an additional 3 days of Autumn before enduring a gruelingly long 60+ days of Winter again.

The game has a pattern of get X item for Y purpose before Z event.. but when you play with everything flipping switches in pure chaos- you can’t always have X item for Y purpose or predict when Z event is going to happen.

This way of play may not be everyone’s cup of tea but it has increased my personal enjoyment of it by a large margin.

And Inventory management should always play a key factor in any survival game.

I guess the TL:DR if the game hooks you in and you start to easily over come it’s default challenges you start wanting & actively seeking out new challenges.

Nice I got 40 days into my server and died. Timer ran out, I restarted the game and I can't rollback :) Glad these devs really made a great game :) Really amazing feature that it deletes the entire server and every save file of it :) great feature really :) 

So is there anyway to restore a world after you lose the option to rollback?

6 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Nice I got 40 days into my server and died. Timer ran out, I restarted the game and I can't rollback :) Glad these devs really made a great game :) Really amazing feature that it deletes the entire server and every save file of it :) great feature really :) 

So is there anyway to restore a world after you lose the option to rollback?

a normal feature in a rogelite

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

a normal feature in a rogelite

Normal games mention that yiou're playing "hardcore" mode.
Also I don't know why the **** they put a timer on the thing afer you die. Just give me the option to reset or rollback without a timer ticking. Is that SO hard??

5 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Also I don't know why the **** they put a timer on the thing afer you die. Just give me the option to reset or rollback without a timer ticking. Is that SO hard??

dont try the original dont starve then

there is no hardcore mode, is a mechanic in dont starve since the beginning

is a rogelite, you are suppose to know it when you start playing

it has time so you can revive

if you only survived 40 days means that you will need to start a new world and keep learning how to survive

no, there is no way of recovering your world. Take it like "game over" like in millions of games since videogames exist

if you arent polite dont expect help

4 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Because rollbacks are a anti griefing measure not a way to cheat death even if it's used that way and DST is a survival game with multiple people so they expected that if you die you'll have someone to revive you however whether you live or die is up to you. That being said if you want to experiment without real consequences I'd say either google the god mode command or set your server to endless.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Listen bro, you’ll eventually get the hang of it: and if your like me you may even grow bored of knowing exactly what day winter starts and ends on, so you get Chaotic & you set your seasons to random season lengths and start times.

you could have 2 days of Autumn, 1 day of Summer, 3 days of Winter, an additional 3 days of Autumn before enduring a gruelingly long 60+ days of Winter again.

The game has a pattern of get X item for Y purpose before Z event.. but when you play with everything flipping switches in pure chaos- you can’t always have X item for Y purpose or predict when Z event is going to happen.

What I'm about to say has nothing to do with your actual last post, BlZaGoten1 (sorry about that) but I felt I should clear something up. 

(random ramblings about random seasons)

Spoiler

If one randomises the season lengths, it _cannot_ be 1 of anything, 2 of anything and then 60 of anything.  It goes by multiples of 5 and can't go beyond 50 days for the "nicer" seasons (fall and spring) and 40 days for the meaner seasons (winter and summer). 

Mind you, however, ZERO is a legit number the game can and does use, so sometimes it might _skip_ a season entirely.  I randomise the seasons in my own worlds all the time, so I've gotten accustomed to prototyping an endothermic fire JUST in case, as soon as I see the birch trees starting to turn green again in winter.  Because that doesn't always mean spring...!

As for X event before Y event, it's worth knowing that with different season lengths, things still happen in their original order but the timing is _proportional_.  So if you have an only 5-day winter, Deerclops might show up on the second or third day of that winter.  With that amount of time, the trees start turning green again almost immediately so if you see that get the beep out of base--either to fight Deerclops or to ditch in the wilderness, is up to you.
Conversely, with a longer winter than normal, you can be warned that it _is_ going to be longer by Deerclops showing up noticeably later than expected.  Like I said, everything's proportional.  If Clopsy shows up late, bundle up warm and stock firewood, it's gonna be a long'un.

Now, with normal game settings, randomising the seasons randomises each one's length ONCE and then they _stick_ that way for all subsequent years (counting a "year" as "the time it takes to go through all four game seasons", not actually 365 days).  If you want it to randomise properly for EVERY time a season comes up, you need a mod.  As of now, anyway. 

These new lengths _can_ be dealt with even when they're harsh, though, once you get the hang of things.  My personal longest-running world was one where winters were 40 days each, aka as long as the game even allows for, every single year!  Also spring was 50 days.  50 days of RAIN.  I just got used to thinking of that world as one with a colder/wetter inclined climate, and went about my business.  For 612 days, and then the world died of glitch, not...actual dying.

Now, back to the "how do I save my world" question--here's a little exploit that might help you, BlZaGoten1.  _The countdown timer resets every time you leave the world and re-enter it_.  So, you can travel as a ghost towards the touchstone (you do have to already kinda know where one is), until the timer is dangerously close to resetting, then DISCONNECT, then when you come back in you'll have two whole new minutes to keep travelling towards the touchstone!  It's not a Pro-Gamer move, but it WILL save your world if you just can't get to the resurrection item in time. 
I suppose you COULD wander the entire map like this, although bear in mind the map doesn't fill in when you're a ghost, so FINDING a touchstone that way might be a hair difficult.  Getting to one you already know the location of, however, is doable.

Also, here's a tip:  If you can, make a life-giving amulet and then keep it _in your MAIN inventory_, not the backpack!  Why?  Because ghosts can't open backpacks, but you CAN hover over a _loose_ pile of stuff until you happen to click on the amulet and then POOF!  You're back!  It does take a shadow manipulator to make so you'll need some prep time, but they're a good item to have on you once you _can_ make them.

...Notorious

Setting the server to endless doesn't work because there's a max health penalty that makes the game unplayable. So that's a no-go.
Salty af because I was finally getting somewhere in the game and now all my hard work just deleted itself because they thought it was a fantastic idea to put a timer there. Even after you die you gotta speedrun not losing your server lmao.

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

there is no hardcore mode, is a mechanic in dont starve since the beginning

1 life only is literally the definition of hardcore mode since like 10 years back.

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

when there is more game modes, dst and ds having 1 life (you have 1 because you dont know how to play yet) is the only "game mode"

dont blame the game, blame the player

They could be more clear with their descriptions though. AND remove the timer. There is literally only negatives by having a timer to reroll your server afer you die.

You can make booster shots to replenish your max health after you die, and the recipe isn't that hard to make.  Just travelling around the birch forest on an even slightly oldish world can get you enough rot for one shot, usually, since the catcoons make wet goop appear all the time and then that rots.  (You can of course find rot other places too.)

As for the only one life thing...well, the game DOES say "uncompromising" right on the tin.  It doesn't, however, come right out and SAY it's a rougelike/lite (perma-death, or in DST's case, perma death _under certain circumstances_), or that it only has one life, you do kind of have to find that out for yourself.  But it's one life that IS extendable, if you use Endless and/or booster shots, life-giving amulets, and exploit the timer thing to reach the touchstone before the countdown runs out.  

Oh! Also have a chest of basic light-giving and bad-weather supplies near the touchstone, because DOUBLE deaths in winter or summer are hella common.  You come back to life, but have no inventory so you can't make a fire, so...

...Notorious

6 minutes ago, BIZaGoten1 said:

Setting the server to endless doesn't work because there's a max health penalty that makes the game unplayable. So that's a no-go.

You can make a booster shot to restore any health penalties that you get after dying. (8 rot, 2 nitre, 1 stinger)

Whew - I feel you - when I first started playing the game was a LOT to take in.  I recommend checking out the wiki for information.  Read up on each character and their perks, and on items you find in the game.  Like mushrooms - there are 3 different kinds, and they have different effects whether cooked over a campfire or raw.  You won't easily learn these by playing the game but you can check the wiki while you play until you remember them.  Same with crock pot recipes there are a LOT of recipes with many different ingredients and effects and no one expects you to know them all, but a quick reference to the wiki page for them can help you find a recipe for sanity, health, or hunger that will suit you.

Also - pro tip here - most monsters will eventually leave you alone if you just run away.  You don't have to fight most things early game.  The only monsters you have to fight are the shadow creatures that spawn when your sanity is low.  You can either avoid this by keeping sanity up (cooked green and blue mushrooms will help with this) or fight them (they aren't hard, just dodge and attack, very basic and good practice.)  Everything else just walk away.  Come across tall birds?  walk away.  Hound mounds? walk away.  Spider nests, merms, tentacles? walk walk walk away.  They might chase you for a screen or two but they'll fall off quick enough.  This game isn't a combat simulator.  Once you learn the basics to survival you can come back and fight these monsters, and trust me it won't be that difficult anymore.

One more thing - if you're on pc check out console commands and mods.  I like to spawn in things with the console commands to play around with them.  This way I can try different things out without risking a world I've actually put time into.  I do this for practicing bosses, trying new base designs, and other things.  Your own knowledge is the most powerful advantage you'll have in this game, to learn and practice.  Soon enough you'll easily live through any season.

The timer until your world is deleted is only in the game for Survival Mode only..

there are two additional mode options you can choose.

Endless- Dying means turning into a ghost but you can float back to that lovely little portal you spawned out of and respawn, you will take an overall health core loss upon doing this but it’s not a problem when you learn how to craft Booster shoots and then use the myriad of healing options available to you (most characters can literally just eat Butterflies all day long, and Wormwood can now just tons of rot he finds laying around)

The other non-permanent world deletion mode is Wilderness- Dying skips the becoming a ghost phase entirely and instead your taken back to the character select screen to Respawn into this same world as any character you want.. all learned recipes however will be lost upon death obviously.. and your map exploration will return to being unexplored.

It was worth mentioning that if your like me and prefer to play mostly alone, then Endless is probably your best server choice- because even if other players join your world their dead ghosts aren’t going to be a constant sanity drain on your character

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Don't_Starve_Together

Klei may eventually add additional modes of play but for now.. these are the only 3 that exist.

Honestly wish I could just set my own spawn point in my base and revive there at full hp, hunger and sanity everytime I die.  I don't mind losing the recipe things because I never have any anyway. But losing the map exploration is just ..wtf come on..Just have a normal mode where dying doesn't give you an eternal punishment.
I don't know how you guys say there is tons of stuff. When I need a booster shot I don't have the stuff to make it. And going on an adventure for that is gonna punish my hunger/sanity/hp to the point where there is no way to come back anyway.

I found like 3 green caps in my last playthough and that isn't even enough to solve my sanity problem. And even when I am in dire need of them and lets say i would find plenty there would be no time to stay still and cook multiple green caps and then eat multiple caps before I get mutilated by these shadow creatures. There is no winning ones you go off the speedrunning route or make a mistake. Maybe if all you had to manage was hunger and HP this game would be playable.

Which character are you trying to play as and what are you trying to get accomplished while playing as them?

if your on PC you may be lucky enough to find mods to make your game as easy as your wanting it to be, but if your on consoles you only have world Gen settings and game mode choice to do that.

Booster shots are most certainly not that hard to craft, but nonetheless- some characters are significantly easier to play than others.

for ME personally the easiest character to play in the entire game for me is Wortox, yeah I find him even easier to play than Wolfgang, Wigfrid, and Wendy. And my worst character to play is Warly.

I recommend that you play as them all and experiment to find the ones your best (and also worst) at playing.

find the character who’s playstyle is most enjoyable for you and then the rest of the game will just fall in-line for you once you understand the in’s and out’s of who you want to play as and what exactly in the game you want to get accomplished.

The main thing you need to remember is that DST is an open world SANDBOX Game, do what you want to do, go where you want to go, explore what you want to explore- and for godsake don’t try to “SpeedRun” an open world sandbox game where what you choose to do is entirely up to you.

I could spend hours on Pearls island alone fishing and collecting musical shell bells..to make my own recreation of Beethoven why? Because it’s something Klei added to the game that I can do if I have the sudden desire to go and do.

Archived