Constantly Switching Between Worlds Sucks

I need hot keys, every few seconds I have to open the star map then click on the other asteroid then click view. I am only on cycle 50 and already hate the DLC because of this. And this is coming from someone with all the achievements and 901 hours of gameplay before I bought the DLC. Honestly my biggest fear was the asteroids would all be running in real time, I need them to pause if they aren't the current asteroid I'm looking at.

11 hours ago, Steve8 said:

:roll:

You also don't need to switch all the time. Established colonies are perfectly capable of running themselves for a while

I don't know what kinda galaxy-brain automation you run, but if I leave a colony unsupervised for like a day I guarantee at least one dupe death.

12 hours ago, Steve8 said:

:roll:

You also don't need to switch all the time. Established colonies are perfectly capable of running themselves for a while

Or permanently. In fact, this is a new meta-goal in the DLC: Before you _could_ do micro-management, now you basically have to wait with exploring other asteroids until you have the previous one(s) stabilized. I actually like that angle of the DLC, but I have played in the "automate everything" style all along. This also means that moving a dupe between asteroids is actually something to be done carefully and not too often. 

In a sense, Klei has just added a new potential catastrophe to the game: missing food, missing oxygen, heat creeping in, and now management overload.

1 hour ago, Tsabo said:

I don't know what kinda galaxy-brain automation you run, but if I leave a colony unsupervised for like a day I guarantee at least one dupe death.

My ONI  meta-goal is to prevent exactly that from happening: Permanent, unsupervised operation. But with the new alert system, you should be able to just work on one asteroid for a time and look at the others only in case of emergencies.

5 hours ago, Tsabo said:

don't know what kinda galaxy-brain automation you run, but if I leave a colony unsupervised for like a day I guarantee at least one dupe death

I definitely added a lot more automation with the dlc, like checking the temp in my farms. The only thing I didn’t quite solved is preventing dupes to be trapped when digging. There is a notification now but sometimes I don’t see it one time. 

11 hours ago, Tsabo said:

That only happens when they trap themselves somewhere while building or digging. There are alerts for that now. Also with the smaller map sizes all the major excavation is done at some point. So dupes are mostly doing regular jobs that don't endanger them. Or just relaxing because there is little to do

3 hours ago, Steve8 said:

That only happens when they trap themselves somewhere while build or digging. There are alerts for that now. Also with the smaller map sizes, all the major excavation is done at some point. So dupes are mostly doing regular jobs that don't endanger them. Or just relaxing because there is little to do

That's my experience too, and I'm not even that experienced ;) (did like maybe two major runs after ONI left EA). Once a colony is stabilized, and by that I mean you produce enough food and oxygen you are no longer in "sudden death" mode :P, the only real threat to dupes are, well, dupes trapping themselves during excavations. And maybe doing sweep errands near aggressive Pokeshells in water just below boiling temperature...

Enough oxygen and food doesn't mean self-sustaining colony, though. Just try to setup things so that you can leave colony without supervision for several cycles :).

16 hours ago, Tsabo said:

friend....no disrespect, i think you need to work on your skills on maintaining 1 colony in the base game before moving onto the DLC.

Improving the switching between colonies, for those which have improvement suggestions on that, is IMHO realistic.

Displaying and playing multiple colonies at the same time could contradict and nil the efforts of Klei to make the game run faster, as they recently reduced the colony map size(s) in order to do so - Still would be nice as an optional game setting and I would greatly welcome it as it would be a superb reason for me to build a new ONi PC. One technical solution could be to run 1 colony per 1 CPU core.

Of course it would also be great to be able to play the old (big) default colony size sometime in 2021 as a player choice, the big map size we had been used to. As a personal opinion I would also find it nice to not be forced in to rocket interior map play.

The rocket maps are very small, so technically it could be ok to play multiple rocket interior maps at the same time ( multiple rocket interior map windows ), if development or player desired. However, the more maps are played at the same time, the more players will likely complain about slow game speed and low frame rates ( as in the past with the current base game, with the "old" vanilla base-game large map size ).

I also would find a space shuttle with a working loading bay great and also dedicated dupe transport shuttle(s), which are Klei special designed to transport up to hundreds of dupes and heavy cargo between colonies + a dedicated space station which can be built ( in the orbit(s) of colonies ). This could be new Klei designed ONi space vehicle presets ( for better space immersion feeling, including real space ship feeling and Klei space-mood designed things like cargo containers, new space ship style interior items etc. ), where the modders then can perhaps could even make the ISS, Spacestation MIR, the Alien or Prometheus Spaceship or the Event Horizon from ( by changing the art design of hereby requested new Klei designed space interior items, adding/modifying special space interior items/objects/buildings/map lights/lighting/backgrounds/sounds/deco and such ).

Currently most space ship interior items look like colony stuff items, it currently totally breaks the space feeling immersion for me.

Playing multiple colonies or rockets at the same time > Request to make windows scalable and dragable in monitor(s).

On 12/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, Lbphero said:

friend....no disrespect, i think you need to work on your skills on maintaining 1 colony in the base game before moving onto the DLC.

I don't dispute that I am ridiculously incompetent. However, everyone's telling me the DLC's easier than the base game, sooooooo...

The DLC is easier than the base game by gradually introducing challenges and difficulties as opposed to facing them head on in the very beginning. Having two slush geysers at the start helps a lot with food and oxygen production; the slugs also help greatly with power production. Yes, you can't do magma and oil without reed fiber (for suits) but that's something you can find on other planets. One can easily stabilize the initial asteroid, build a carbon dioxide or sucrose rocket and get to a planet with a slime biome for fiber (or a volcano map for refined metal).

In this sense, the DLC is easier than the base game. I've had countless times when I had to constantly fight heat and scalding for more than 100cycles till I finally managed to stabilize the colony.

I find that the dlc starting map biome, with the coldness, is easier to play ( for me ) compared to the base game. It suits my industrial playstyle very well, as I used to start FrozenWorld colonies in the base game. I also like that I have Magma included, so kind of frozen + Magma = Perfect for me. I think its a good starter map for beginners. :bee::bee::bee:

I find the switching between planetoids to be no issue at all. In the base game I often had duplicants working on different projects (ie, different areas of the large map). Once I got one project laid out, I would switch to the another with the camera hot keys.

All is the same with the DLC, but now I’m using planetoids hot keys.

4 hours ago, Nedix said:

Yes, you can't do magma and oil without reed fiber (for suits) but that's something you can find on other planets. One can easily stabilize the initial asteroid, build a carbon dioxide or sucrose rocket and get to a planet with a slime biome for fiber (or a volcano map for refined metal).

You can easily reach the neighboring asteroid in the DLC, but you can't dig into the neighboring reed swamp biome?! Because with exosuits there is no difference what the temperature is behind the base. Having a huge amount of resources in the base game right next door is more difficult than flying to another asteroid after them? Really?
The DLC is now much more difficult than the base game and I would not recommend playing it for those who find the base game difficult. I play both there and there at maximum difficulty.

Archived