The Starver's Guide to Self-Feeding Farms

Just now, Aknott said:

You're welcome, thanks for your work.

Sorry, kinda new here. What's OP?

Anyway, this picture can be published anywhere or whatever, no copyright.

OP can mean either "Original Post" or "Original Poster". So they are asking if they can put it in the Original Post, :D

• Developer
On 12/24/2020 at 9:30 PM, Bronzebot said:

It does leave me wondering as to why something within this new farming rework was left "intentionally" to be this gruelingly hard. I would prefer if it was either easier to achieve or simply impossible, rather than having this strange middle ground.

I don't know if we were the only ones to do this, but if you hoe, and then plant a seed, you can then (fairly easily) hoe near perfectly, I know the inclination is to hoe all at once and then plant, but you can basically completely remove your margin for error and even without mods achieve 4x4 on a tile, if you hoe then plant, hoe then plant, ect.

4 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

I don't know if we were the only ones to do this, but if you hoe, and then plant a seed, you can then (fairly easily) hoe near perfectly, I know the inclination is to hoe all at once and then plant, but you can basically completely remove your margin for error and even without mods achieve 4x4 on a tile, if you hoe then plant, hoe then plant, ect.

I tested this method just now and it is indeed significantly easier! Thank you for taking your time to solve this predicament of mine, I really appreciate it.

11 hours ago, Hornete said:

OP can mean either "Original Post" or "Original Poster". So they are asking if they can put it in the Original Post, :D

Oh, ok, That didn't even cross my mind... /facepalm

Yes sure, it can be in the OP!

But many points of the guide aren't covered in my seasons chart that doesn't intend to replace the whole guide with only one big picture. Players need to understand first the guide and how the new farming system works.

Thank you for all this. It has really helped me better understand the farm system!

Question about farming/nurturance. How do I determine how much a plant needs? For example if a plant needs manure and has one arrow pointing up does it just need 1 manure every growth cycle?

1 hour ago, X-lem said:

Thank you for all this. It has really helped me better understand the farm system!

Question about farming/nurturance. How do I determine how much a plant needs? For example if a plant needs manure and has one arrow pointing up does it just need 1 manure every growth cycle?

the arrows is the amount of nutrient that a plant consumes from being seed to grow as fruit so if the plant needs 1 arrow you only need to use a fertilizer that gives 1 arrow

take in count how many crops you planted per tile and multiply it by the number of arrows and you will know the total of fertilize that you need per tile

On 11/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Fill-Lips said:

For anyone that cares, I made a little google sheet using that farm diagram, PLUS some extra tid bits attached to it, like general rules and a blank tempelate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X3zhzFjkMAz7PgYgUSnXzEMW94EN_YjKwAubgQ0BPj8/edit?usp=sharing

Also it doubles up as a puzzle, wonder if 100% happiness is possible with a 4x4 farm tiling...

kinda late but im wondering what you mean by YOU HAVE TO HAVE 3 COLORS IN EACH TILE. also for plant range for family, what does the pink tiles mean

11 hours ago, Gent1eGamer said:

kinda late but im wondering what you mean by YOU HAVE TO HAVE 3 COLORS IN EACH TILE. also for plant range for family, what does the pink tiles mean

The 3 colours are essentially 3 different plants, What I mean by the 3 colours have to be in a tile is so they can meet the auto fertilizer set up, removing the need to fertilize the plants.

And... well the range tiles are actually outdated, the 'pink' tile is meant to be faded (Just in/outside of range), as the range when I made this guide was a little shakey where one plant would go giant, but another didn't, even though they were both in 'range'.

This bug has been fixed as well as the range being increased since then, so the set up is a bit dated now, since you can just do the strip pattern with 100% giant growth, I think...

On 11/28/2020 at 7:16 PM, QuartzBeam said:

In regards to watering: Water each tile once in the seed stage, twice in the sprout stage, once in the small stage and once in the medium stage.

I know I'm asking this from you months later, but does this stand for any kind of crops you grow? Because I usually water each tile up to 4 times so they are 100% full of water and that tends to empty my watering cans fast.

If you don't need to water each tile so much [up to 100%] then how does the watering mechanic work for the crops? (If you have time to explain or direct me to another post you've already made explaining it)

P.S. Do you have to water them more during Summer? Because I thought water dries faster during summer, requiring you to water them more often than any other season, and the exact opposite for Winter, but if I'm wrong then I haven't understood how the watering mechanic works.

1 minute ago, mathem99 said:

I know I'm asking this from you months later, but does this stand for any kind of crops you grow? Because I usually water each tile up to 4 times so they are 100% full of water and that tends to empty my watering cans fast.

If you don't need to water each tile so much [up to 100%] then how does the watering mechanic work for the crops? (If you have time to explain or direct me to another post you've already made explaining it)

Technically, it doesn't. Cause I did the math wrong back then. :P

The good news: It's actually less than that.

Plants need to spend 10% or more of each growth stage on wet soil. It doesn't matter how wet the soil is, so long as it's not completely dry. So if a particular growth stage lasts, for example, 1 day = 8 minutes = 480 seconds, the soil needs to be wet AKA not completely dry for more than 48 of those seconds.

If you have 10 plants or fewer in the same tile, watering exactly once per stage should more than do the trick.

7 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Technically, it doesn't. Cause I did the math wrong back then. :P

The good news: It's actually less than that.

Plants need to spend 10% or more of each growth stage on wet soil. It doesn't matter how wet the soil is, so long as it's not completely dry. So if a particular growth stage lasts, for example, 1 day = 8 minutes = 480 seconds, the soil needs to be wet AKA not completely dry for more than 48 of those seconds.

If you have 10 plants or fewer in the same tile, watering exactly once per stage should more than do the trick.

Wow, crops need that little time on wet soil for them to be satisfied? Interesting.

That means that Watermelons and Toma Roots need to spend 10% on each stage on wet soil, but on the plant registry those two crops have three water droplets on their "Water Consumption" does this just mean that these crops dry the ground moisture faster than any other crop, or does it play some other role with the ground moisture?

Just now, mathem99 said:

Wow, crops need that little time on wet soil for them to be satisfied? Interesting.

That means that Watermelons and Toma Roots need to spend 10% on each stage on wet soil, but on the plant registry those two crops have three water droplets on their "Water Consumption" does this just mean that these crops dry the ground moisture faster than any other crop, or does it play some other role with the ground moisture?

Yeah, the droplets indicate how fast each plant drains moisture from the soil. But even 10 high consumption plants (like Toma Roots) can make do with just one watering per stage, even in the heat of summer.

I've been struggling with giant crops, and thinking it's the family bonus.  I feel like within 4 "tills" of each other was working but now it seems it doesn't.  I'm not 100% sure it's three family bonus, my balance nutrient pairings could be out of date.  If you numbered all tills left to right 1-36 in 6 rows.  Should like plants are family stress relief if they were in tills 1,4,7, for instance? What about, 1,2,19,20? I'm not sure how 1,2,3,4 seems to work if the others don't.

Is there any console commands to speed the steps up?  Is like to test on another world, but waiting 4 days between crops is brutal.  My son said advancing the day didn't seem to really advance the crop.

8 hours ago, ejkeebler said:

I've been struggling with giant crops, and thinking it's the family bonus.  I feel like within 4 "tills" of each other was working but now it seems it doesn't.  I'm not 100% sure it's three family bonus, my balance nutrient pairings could be out of date.  If you numbered all tills left to right 1-36 in 6 rows.  Should like plants are family stress relief if they were in tills 1,4,7, for instance? What about, 1,2,19,20? I'm not sure how 1,2,3,4 seems to work if the others don't.

Is there any console commands to speed the steps up?  Is like to test on another world, but waiting 4 days between crops is brutal.  My son said advancing the day didn't seem to really advance the crop.

Try to use, if you can, the ruins gardener hat because it tells you what is lacking the plant or if the plant is growing well

There is a command to jump time, if i recall correctly, is c_skip(n) were 'n' is the number of sections of the day 

so im pretty sure the family stress point is failing now, after some testing.  c_skip does seem to age the crops properly, so thanks for that.  still not sure why a crop can be part of family even when its in a format such as potato below.

X X X X X X

X P X X X X

X X X P X X

X X X P X X

X P X X X X

X X X X X X

It seems like the Potatoes, shouldnt be part of a family, but it works, so not exactly sure how the check is happening.

Actually even simplier how does X P P P P X work, seems like the outside crops should be too far apart.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, Aknott said:

Hi QuartzBeam,

I thought it would be nice to summarize your guide, so i launched photoshop and 11 hours later, here we go!

Err, i don't do this very often... probably the last time...

Hope you like it, and that it will help some players.

Edit : uploaded new version after taking some screenshots!

1587919556_DSTgiantcropscombinations.thumb.jpg.c27ca13631a9d5347c706949c29f13c5.jpg

I was looking for cheat sheet for farms and this works great! I found small error in one of autumn recipes and fixed it in case others would want to use it as well. Hope you don't mind. :)

DST Crops Aknott revised.jpg

Hi!

II also had a lot of time on my hands, and created a filterable list showing ALL the possible self-sustaining combinations of Plants that you can fit onto farm tiles using the planting-patterns of your choosing.

Check it out here: https://manzcloud.ddns.net/extra/dst-farming/

image.thumb.png.f99f6ff45a3e4aad35cb93bf5608a62f.png

The list is extensively filterable too, and if you filter for say "Asparagus" it will list the combinations first that yield the most asparagus.

It's guaranteed to list All perfect combinations. There are 2161 combinations there - redundant combinations are already excluded: for example the combo potato-tomato is shown, but not 2x potato - 2x tomato, cause that is redundant. That's not a new combination, just using the first one twice.

Cheers!

16 hours ago, ganter said:

Hi!

II also had a lot of time on my hands, and created a filterable list showing ALL the possible self-sustaining combinations of Plants that you can fit onto farm tiles using the planting-patterns of your choosing.

Check it out here: https://manzcloud.ddns.net/extra/dst-farming/

image.thumb.png.f99f6ff45a3e4aad35cb93bf5608a62f.png

The list is extensively filterable too, and if you filter for say "Asparagus" it will list the combinations first that yield the most asparagus.

It's guaranteed to list All perfect combinations. There are 2161 combinations there - redundant combinations are already excluded: for example the combo potato-tomato is shown, but not 2x potato - 2x tomato, cause that is redundant. That's not a new combination, just using the first one twice.

Cheers!

This is really neat, well done!

Here are some new layouts I came up with using bigger fields than 2X2's while also using every crop during all its favourite seasons.
These layouts should guarantee nutrient self-sustainability as well as the family bonus for giant crops everywhere.

_20210703_174929.thumb.JPG.7b0d2126a86e9f71e7d6d26d10e38b34.JPG

Some improvisations had to be made for the spring layout, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.

Archived