The Starver's Guide to Self-Feeding Farms

On 11/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

Do you plant just...whatever, hope it grows, and then feed the resulting plants to a bird?  Is _that_ how you get specific seeds?

It is exactly how it was before the beta. Except bird only gives specific seed for a crop in 1:1 ratio, so you cant really multiply seeds like this. However now you can also get the seeds from the crop itself. depending how happy the crop was, you get 0-3 specific seed upon harvesting it.

20201130141018_1.thumb.jpg.9738abb40bcc21f78f43df50698eb3cb.jpg

I think this still works, for the (1:1:1) ratio you don't need to do anything fancy, you can just do lines as long as they are close enough to each other. Using the snapping tills mod makes it easy. It does require at least 2 plots next to each other though so you can't just do a line of plants in one tile. 20201205142239_1.thumb.jpg.1f792710050c29d22fc0add6e9b0fc14.jpg

Checking again it does work on the current patch

31 minutes ago, oppameep said:

snip

Yeah, it's possible. But without the mod, I don't think you can have the 8 corner plants meet the family requirement. Hence why I ended up going for the layout with the "cross" at the center. I might add a note though.

An excellent guide on farming! Can't wait to get into this later. Love watching the fruits of my labor. Personally, I think I'll be focusing on the Warly stuff, but just about any crop should be nice for the food junkies such as myself. Time to go cook up a storm!

On a side note, I thought I should mention this. Someone in my discord showed me that your guide was recently used in a Youtube video. It feels like you should be getting credit for that.

29 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

Someone in my discord showed me that your guide was recently used in a Youtube video. It feels like you should be getting credit for that

who was the youtuber who used his guide in a youtube video 

wait.......no........it .....can't be........is that youtuber.........beard 777?

30 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

On a side note, I thought I should mention this. Someone in my discord showed me that your guide was recently used in a Youtube video. It feels like you should be getting credit for that

Yeah, that youtuber should credit Quartz, but that person is notorious for doing stuff like this and not crediting people when due sadly :(

10 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Yeah, that youtuber should credit Quartz, but that person is notorious for doing stuff like this and not crediting people when due sadly :(

so it is beard 777? someone should riot against him.

Thanks for this invaluable guide, I'll keep referring to it while playing to make perfect farms. Let me just place down @lakhnish's Google Docs file on the list of crop pairings up to five crops here, as well as @Bird Up's truly helpful response to me on the 4 and 5 crop designs so that I have all my farming guides neatly in one place.

Here's what I gathered in the past hour of testing with 4/5 crop combos.

4-crop combo -

1697916878_4CropCombo.thumb.png.0119997d3c924938f4bfe2797db762d4.png

The layout -

(White space is no plant)

1018099028_4CropsOptimal.thumb.png.6c8f187956cb680d0f52c09837a616fd.png

5-crop combo -

414354398_5CropCombo.thumb.png.d411cb672b044ae82e82dc35b4d892b4.png

The layout -

(Gray space is no plant)

2017865566_5CropOptimal.thumb.png.6a34b0549aa34779b98f60d74b8e4ad5.png

So unfortunately the 4-crop combo is hard to remember and doesn't exactly look pretty. However, every single crop is giant, so it's very efficient.

In the 5-crop combo, there's quite a few empty spaces because it is the only way I see to balance the nutrients in each plot. The red colored square in the layout will never be giant - it is only there to fulfil the nutrient combo so that you don't need to fertilize. However every other plant will be giant. Simply choose which plant you desire the least in the 5-crop combo, and use it as the red colored square in the layout.

You could throw some 1:1 crop combos in the gray space of the 5-crop combo, and the soil nutrients would remain automatic, but just know the extra crops added to the gray space can't be giant.

(do note I used the tilling mod to till 3x3s)

On 11/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, Psychomaniac said:

Grid tiller mod is my OCD savior.

I cook up some 4-crop-combination for Spring (1st row) and Autumn (2nd row) that cover all 14 crops (10 in Spring and 4 in Autumn), can't find a perfect 4-crop-compination self-feeding farm for Winter and Summer

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.495b1c49068c67e655bc99f8db455484.png

Sorry for quoting something 10+ days old, but is watering and talking/playing all you need to do with these for them to turn out like this, even in the current patch? 

I want to get better at farming without making a job of it and this seems like the perfect level of investment for me. Simple, straightforward and wields the plants I'm aiming for specifically except for durian on the onion combo. Can I change it for something else? 

Also sorry for bugging you and asking something somewhat unrelated, but how long do the gigacrops take to spoil? I started a new world these days and I wanted to stockpile on Warly's spices, so I'd like to farm garlics and peppers before I swap to him. 

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, wolfsiechan said:

Sorry for quoting something 10+ days old

It's ok !!!

in the current patch

No, because Klei added new stress call Overcrowding (Crops gonna stress if there is more than 10 crops/plot), which mean you can't do 4x4 plot

But, mod is a thing. So if you fine with mod, you still can make it happen.

Spoiler

Still all 14 Crops, self-feeding (mean all you need to do is water and play One-man-band at every growth stage), all giants. 3 upper plots is in Spring, bottom plot is in autum.

The Screenshot you quoted is outdated, Durian N-Cycle has changed, down here is the new combos.

image.thumb.png.93fd0065b21af477d134f9594a97598f.png

These two mods below help me get there:

Placement mod: allow 4x4 plot

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2302837868

Tweak mod: Remove Overcrowding stress (By setting it bigger than 16), made fully grown crops last forever (just like old time) and many more.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2308412369&searchtext=

Can I change it for something else?

There are a few crops that have the same Nutrient cycle that you can switch (if the season allow)

Asparagus-Corn, Pumpkin-Carrot, Eggplant-Potato, Onion-Pomegranate, Dragon Fruit-Pepper, Durian-Garlic

how long do the gigacrops take to spoil?

Spoiler

If you leave them be on the field after they grown into giant unharvested (Pick cursor), the default is about 47+ min (probably 50+ min) 1:12:00 (Just tested) real-life time. 

image.png.aa362e02dff1bcad1aa6d6f17ea865c6.png

If you harvested (Carry Cursor) and still leave them (only hammer when you need food, seeds), they last 40 in-game days

image.png.872f94ddd3ee86ccea8c737b77a6f972.png

farm garlics and peppers

You can use these 2 Self-feeding combos in Autumn & Summer on 3x3 Plot (No overcrowding, so no mod needed, but Snapping tills will made crops in lines, tight & order):

Garlic-Onion-Pepper (Ratio: 1:1:1)

combine with

Toma-Toma-Pepper (Ratio: 2:1)

Spoiler

Plant formation

image.thumb.png.3e68cd7aeb9feff778c1dd05d8ebaaca.png

Result

image.thumb.png.27e36dd35fa4c11648ac043320f08c99.png

P/s: With the Snapping tills mod: Two 3x3 plots still work too (You can do this without mod by try hard while tilling hole close to each other), I just tested.

Spoiler

Straight lines, yeah it's that simple.

image.thumb.png.252a054e5eded7b6fba5c52d1558c479.png

Ok, Have fun farming !!!!

On 11/28/2020 at 11:04 AM, QuartzBeam said:

I like this. The 4 corners plants would still be isolated, but that's better than the 8 isolated plants in my design. (Oh, yeah, it's 8, not 4; I should correct that)

Plus, again, the imperfection won't scale with size, so it gets better if you double or quadruple the plot size.

Im very sorry for responding to an old message but I've been scratching my head on how this is possible. In your other pictures there are 4 veggies together meeting the family requirement. In this picture there are groups of 6 not 4 or 8? The 12 in the middle are divisible by 4. The 6 green are not but yet they still become giant. The 6 red are also not divisible by 4 and therefore 2 on each side result in not becoming giant. Why is green not following the same rule?

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Im very sorry for responding to an old message but I've been scratching my head on how this is possible. In your other pictures there are 4 veggies together meeting the family requirement. In this picture there are groups of 6 not 4 or 8? The 12 in the middle are divisible by 4. The 6 green are not but yet they still become giant. The 6 red are also not divisible by 4 and therefore 2 on each side result in not becoming giant. Why is green not following the same rule?

They don't need to be divisible by 4. Each crop needs to "see" 3 or more  crops of the same kind in a radious of 1 turf tile around itself. There is no other requirement for the family need.

12 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

They don't need to be divisible by 4. Each crop needs to "see" 3 or more  crops of the same kind in a radious of 1 turf tile around itself. There is no other requirement for the family need.

I notice you try to balance the nutrients within the borders of a single tile. Can all adjacent tiles share nutrients? I noticed that in this video they all grew giant even though the individual tiles don't seem to be balanced but if you look at it as one giant tile they they are balanced. Perhaps its because there is already nutrients present in the soil before you even begin to grow stuff?

Screenshot_20201216-124645.png

On 12/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, HowlVoid said:

I notice you try to balance the nutrients within the borders of a single tile. Can all adjacent tiles share nutrients? I noticed that in this video they all grew giant even though the individual tiles don't seem to be balanced but if you look at it as one giant tile they they are balanced. Perhaps its because there is already nutrients present in the soil before you even begin to grow stuff?

No, adjacent tiles cannot share nutrients. Nutrients are variables that are handled separatedly for every tile.

What happened in the picture is probably a combination of various factors:

• the potatoes and corns / potatoes and carrots partially feeding each other, reducing how much nutrients are needed per tile
  • the tiles being freshly made, meaning they'd have about 20-40 of each nutrient to give
  • the plants only needing enough fertilizer for 3 out of 4 growth stages (you can get a single stress point and still have them be giant)

hey for 3 different crops you can just do them in horizontal or vertical lines and they will work.

Also in the final design you can do it like this too. Use one crop of 4 and then put two of two that will balance it. Then for the next 4 holes fill 2 with tomato or watermellon and 2 more with a seed that will balance it preferably one that you already used to balance the the crop of 4
 image.png.68b4c36ca1b5259061c9e466576431ce.png

On 12/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, HowlVoid said:

Screenshot_20201216-124645.png

the soil can hold up to 12 nutrients so you can grow mega crops without balance if they are just 6 or below, but the nutrients will run out

7 hours ago, ToxicStunky said:

the soil can hold up to 12 nutrients so you can grow mega crops without balance if they are just 6 or below, but the nutrients will run out

The soil can hold up to 100 of each nutrient. I have no idea where you got the numbers 12 and 6 from.

12 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

The soil can hold up to 100 of each nutrient. I have no idea where you got the numbers 12 and 6 from.

I have tried putting 100 manure in a field. Only 6 potatoes grew before all the manure was out. 6 potatoes = 12 manure that's where I got that

1 minute ago, ToxicStunky said:

I have tried putting 100 manure in a field. Only 6 potatoes grew before all the manure was out. 6 potatoes = 12 manure that's where I got that

Yeah, let me rephrase that: a tile can hold 100 points of each nutrient. One Manure (the item) gives 8 points of the nutrient of the same name. But other fertilizers give different values (1 arrow = 8 points, 2 arrows = 16 points, 3 arrows = 24 points, 4 arrows = 32 points), so it doesn't really make sense to try to define a tile's nutrient capacity in terms of the fertilizer items. It is needlessly confusing.

Archived