The Starver's Guide to Self-Feeding Farms

Well done guide!

On 11/28/2020 at 4:32 PM, QuartzBeam said:

Type A: Three Different Crops in Equal Amounts

farm_3.thumb.png.a4590e74f2f3ae2474b10f4b631b545e.png

This is by far the most common configuration. I couldn't come up with a way to get all the crops to meet the family requirement, so I went with a simple columns design instead. Turn out that, aside from 2 crops at each corner, which were "isolated", the rest had no issue growing into oversized plants. It is possible that long term use of this design will cause a bit of a nutrient imbalance at these 4 corner tiles, but I believe the difference in growth speed (nutrients are consumed/produced when going from one stage to the next) between the isolated plants and the rest is small enough that this will not happen.

In any case, this imperfection is more than acceptable for me, because it does not scale with farm size. If you were to make, say, a 10x10 farm area, you could grow 10x10x9=900 plants in it and only 8 of those would be "isolated". So the imperfection becomes largely insignificant in bigger farms.

For this one I found a rearrangement that allows 2 species to grow big and only one is left with 4 small crops out of 12.

Spoiler

image.png.b9615342e0068ba76ded169b50a2221c.png

image.png.a5d6edee5ec432b695e6ec439bc94f61.png

image.png.8b751b6f08d55d10cb397bd813d5c791.png

Also I find this setup the most beneficial for Warly, as he requires a lot of Garlic and Pepper for spices and also uses Onions in many special dishes. Seasons: Summer and Autumn.
In Summer you can swap Onions with Pomegranates and Peppers with Dragonfruits.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

'm imagining myself having to take up entire inventory slots for each type of seed

I think you could just use a Tackle Box / Spectackler Box to hold your seeds in one inventory space, even better since you can open them in your inventory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you bundle wrap the tackle boxes as well?

Oh, yeah...I don't use those things very often so I guess I just didn't think about it.

Still kinda wish that the new farming wasn't THIS much more complicated than the original one, but hey... 

I mean, I'm one of those people who _does_ use farms.  I like them around as a supplementary food source and to make the base look more....well, farm-y.  If I'm doing the March of Civilization challenge, then unlocking "agriculture" is a big deal and one of the main markers that you've made it to a new chapter.  I'd hate to give them up entirely...but MAN these new ones sound like a pain in the butt.

And I don't wanna go do the "superior meta" strategies everyone goes on about, involving caves and bunny farms or whatever.  That's just not my style.  Heck, I didn't even do the _old_ farm "meta"--nothing but dragonfruit.  I was happy just growing RANDOM seeds!  Now, if I want things to grow well at all, I have to make this other substance to put on them,or memorize combinations of plants and/or numbers.

Yes, the combos shown here are only for _optimal_ growth, but what if you have something with a massive minus and nothing there to balance it, and you don't put formula on it?  What if you don't KNOW which one it needs--that or ordinary fertiliser?  Just it just sit there as a seedling, or grow really slowly?  You used to be able to at least grow SOMEthing by just looking at the crafting tabs, figuring out how to make one of those farm things, and putting one of those seeds you find on the ground all the time, in it.  Now it seems it REQUIRES the wiki (or these forums).

I dunno, I guess I'm just sad because I'm more of a relaxed player and now part of the game I enjoyed...isn't relaxed anymore.  And I hate that when it was finally improved...it was improved in a way that made it SO much more complicated it's no longer fun.  I _wanted_ the seasonality and possibly weeding and watering (I'm a Harvest Moon veteran, for pete's sake) but...

...Notorious

P.S. I also do a lot of nomadic wandering, during which all the places I have to put things _is_ my inventory and backpack.  So...

37 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Oh, yeah...I don't use those things very often so I guess I just didn't think about it.

Still kinda wish that the new farming wasn't THIS much more complicated than the original one, but hey... 

I mean, I'm one of those people who _does_ use farms.  I like them around as a supplementary food source and to make the base look more....well, farm-y.  If I'm doing the March of Civilization challenge, then unlocking "agriculture" is a big deal and one of the main markers that you've made it to a new chapter.  I'd hate to give them up entirely...but MAN these new ones sound like a pain in the butt.

And I don't wanna go do the "superior meta" strategies everyone goes on about, involving caves and bunny farms or whatever.  That's just not my style.  Heck, I didn't even do the _old_ farm "meta"--nothing but dragonfruit.  I was happy just growing RANDOM seeds!  Now, if I want things to grow well at all, I have to make this other substance to put on them,or memorize combinations of plants and/or numbers.

Yes, the combos shown here are only for _optimal_ growth, but what if you have something with a massive minus and nothing there to balance it, and you don't put formula on it?  What if you don't KNOW which one it needs--that or ordinary fertiliser?  Just it just sit there as a seedling, or grow really slowly?  You used to be able to at least grow SOMEthing by just looking at the crafting tabs, figuring out how to make one of those farm things, and putting one of those seeds you find on the ground all the time, in it.  Now it seems it REQUIRES the wiki (or these forums).

I dunno, I guess I'm just sad because I'm more of a relaxed player and now part of the game I enjoyed...isn't relaxed anymore.  And I hate that when it was finally improved...it was improved in a way that made it SO much more complicated it's no longer fun.  I _wanted_ the seasonality and possibly weeding and watering (I'm a Harvest Moon veteran, for pete's sake) but...

...Notorious

P.S. I also do a lot of nomadic wandering, during which all the places I have to put things _is_ my inventory and backpack.  So...

I went into a random world and had pumpkin cookies by day 5 or 6. You can drop 4 tiles before you even have an alchemy engine. Drop your science and farm. Plant seeds accumulated and then run off map the world. Reward yourself with tea and cookies when you return. All of this is as much effort you choose to put in it. Thats the beauty of it. 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:59 PM, kuroite said:

For the 3 types crop i think something like that could be a little bit better.

ooo.PNG.aa3775b84bed822069ee7d7c317474b1.PNG

But im just nitpicking.

I knew was a matter of time for someone to come up with such an easy formation for the triple crops. Thank you.

And thank you @QuartzBeam for such an awesome work. We know who actually did the work, and we don't forget ;)

1 hour ago, Cuikui said:

'@kuroite According to Circle packing in a square the maximum is 16 crops per tile. (A tile is a 4x4 square and crops have a diameter of 1.25, we are in the case dn = 1.25 / 4 = 0,3125)

Screenshot_2020-11-30_16-14-41.png.0290370619764a42a95779d2071251cc.png

If you go for a 2 by 2 tiles garden the maximum is 41 crops, which is not far from the classic 36 crops.

Reveal hidden contents

It is supposed to look like this (Ref):

Screenshot_2020-11-30_16-50-56.png.92dad4f5145dd8f06dcc79ead98c7785.png

There's probably a good 12 crop configuration for single tile plots. You could leave the corners out since they'd get the lowest nutrient spread anyway.

E9066793-DB82-4526-9508-11E209DF4A13.jpeg

32 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

There's probably a good 12 crop configuration for single tile plots. You could leave the corners out since they'd get the lowest nutrient spread anyway.

E9066793-DB82-4526-9508-11E209DF4A13.jpeg

Wait you can fit 12 crops in a tile without using a mod?

And if so, why would the corners get fewer nutrients?

13 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Wait you can fit 12 crops in a tile without using a mod?

And if so, why would the corners get fewer nutrients?

I use the Crop Tile client mod which allows a 4x4 hoe grid. I’d imagine you could do it without if you were really accurate.

I just assumed the corner spots would get fewer nutrients because of their isolation, but thinking about it now I guess it doesn’t really matter if the crops all contribute to the same pool of nutrients per tile.

I have no real way to begin this, so-

Test.thumb.png.a666ca68d2bd133c7a5e3d9d12539f62.png

No, this is not a corrupted checkerboard. This is a 2x2 farm plot plot diagram (9 tilled holes each tile) that allows all plants to have the family bonus which, is used with the appropriate combination of plants (Self-sustained Nutrients) with the occasional watering, correct season & Maintained happiness can allow them all to grow into giant plants. This was tested with a Pumpkin+Corn+Potato combo, screenshots of which can be found in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Farm1.thumb.png.4d315d650a32d47e73e14c038f9e8caf.png

Farm2.thumb.png.122a16adfeb113e7dabd07a5820b5aa4.png

Farm3.thumb.png.b8e578b87c933af94f154c3e2e1e0293.png

Farm4.thumb.png.1bc4b9094557ff020bb861cc33ea794a.png

As you can see, all of the crops are giant.

Edit: Sadly, each harvest requires re-fertilization in between harvests using this formation

*Sigh* back to the drawing board

Bad news, the author of the Grid tiller mod has removed 4x4 plot. 3x3 is all we have now, if Klei make those hole snap-in grid this mod is useless.

So back to the original. 

@ZeeDragon man, your diagram is really easy to misplace crop and my OCD is kinda unease.

Here is my farm, all 14 crops, Self-feeding and all giant.

Spring - 11 crops: Corn, Toma, Potato, Asparagus, Pomegranate, Egg, D.Fruit, Onion, Garlic, Durian, Watermelon

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fd721cb24ddcbdc5fa2d63b01384ebed.png

image.thumb.png.45ed17a6bf1ad56ceceb62ded209fa1d.png

Autumn - the last 3 crops: Carrot, Pumpkin, Pepper

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9245f9998c3390773ed9337c82a7de52.png

image.thumb.png.25813ae778f89cb4436ff7c972eb6e93.png

And down here is how simple farming can be if 4x4 still a thing, *** The author has put the 4x4 plot back in YEAHHHHH!!!

Spoiler

All 14 crops, Self-feeding and all giant. 1rst Row is in Spring, 2nd row is in Autumn

image.thumb.png.2f9f7c501e7999e00110db39286ce49f.png

6 hours ago, ZeeDragon said:

snip

Was this tested on brand new soil?

I did some quick calculations and this setup does not seem like it could sustain itself. The tiles with 4 potatoes + 3 corn + 2 pumpkins has a combined -6 manure value, while the other tiles have a combined -6 compost value.

Brand new soil comes with 20-40 of each nutrient, which would explain why you got all giant crops without fertilizer, but subsequent harvests will need to be balanced with fertilizer (24 points of compost/manure to be exact).

6 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Was this tested on brand new soil?

I did some quick calculations and this setup does not seem like it could sustain itself. The tiles with 4 potatoes + 3 corn + 2 pumpkins has a combined -6 manure value, while the other tiles have a combined -6 compost value.

Brand new soil comes with 20-40 of each nutrient, which would explain why you got all giant crops without fertilizer, but subsequent harvests will need to be balanced with fertilizer (24 points of compost/manure to be exact).

Oh wait, your right I didn't. I'll go do that later, I have work to do.

I think this one works as an irregular ratio example:

[2x2 Plot] Pumpkin x2, Pepper x2, Garlic x1, Tomato x3, Potato x1 [Per Plot]
Prioritizes the Pumpkins, Pepper, & Garlic for giant growth.

Self-feeding, but inefficient. Dunno what circumstances you'd want to use it under, but it exists.

EDIT: I actually managed to get giant tomatoes too (not the corners). So I'm even more confused on the range for family bonus. Makes this a lot more efficient than I first thought though.

Archived