Boss Sliders, Loot Sharing, Loot Drops

Boss Sliders/Loot Sharing/Loot Drops  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should DST have a difficulty/health slider for bosses?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I don't care
  2. 2. Should there be an increase in the loot that drops from a boss when multiple people take part in defeating said boss?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
  3. 3. Assuming boss sliders were added at some point, should loot drops remain the same for bosses defeated at a lower difficulty level than what we currently have at the moment?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
  4. 4. How long have you played DST?

• Less than a year
    • Over a year
    • Over 2 years
    • Since the beginning

So it's been a while since I've posted a poll and I figured now is as good a time as any. Forgive me if this has already been covered, please link any previous polls if so.

As usual feel free to discuss your choices. There are no wrong answers, but don't feel obligated to. If I left out any possible answers let me know and I will add any relevant ones as soon as possible.

well me personally ive been playing don't starve for about 11 months and in that time span ive killed each of the bosses at least twice so my opinion can easily be different from others.i don't really wanna discuss my answers because i already said them in solo players support thread/topic so if you really want to know my opinion go read that thread/topic(if you dare)

Personally I don't feel that things to "balance bosses" would be beneficial, BUT I find that newer players tend to struggle with both difficulty and the game itself. Most of the negative steam reviews are just people who haven't spent an ample time on the wiki like the rest of us heathens, so I think allowing players an option other than "get good noob" is something klei really needs to think about. 

1. I answered yes but it's a yes/doesn't really matter to me personally.

2. No, but it's a soft no. I think deciding who gets something like the eyebrella (who stands to benefit from it the most) is an important gameplay element that can promote people working better as a team. If everyone had one it would be less special and we wouldn't experience people going "here wicker, you have the eyebrella since sanity is a bigger problem for you." Of course sometimes people are selfish and keep the boss item for themselves but that's just another survival aspect that players need to overcome. Considering you can get more boss loot from Klaus and sometimes the only person that has the blueprint for that item has left it might be nice if bosses dropped more blueprints. If more loot for more players was something that 100% was going to be added I'd prefer if there was still the need to choose who gets the loot rather than getting one each. So maybe if there's more than five/six players in a fight the boss drops an extra item/blueprint.

3. Yes, they should stay the same. It's PvE, there's no leaderboards, its not competitive and everyone in that world would have access to the same loot within the same difficulty. Discrepancies in difficulty between servers are irrelevant and already a thing due to the current sliders and mods so one more option isn't going to change anything. The point of making bosses easier with a difficulty slider would be to allow more people to experience more of the game. That includes boss loot and what can be made from it. Withholding the loot from them because they were playing on "easy mode" would be just as likely to put them off playing as dying to a boss they find too hard to beat.

4. Since all there was to do was fight spiders and move grass tufts around.

Spoiler

this thread feels familiar

so i am probably going to take a bit of a surprising stand and say i really dont think the toggles are appropriate. if this was a solo thing i would 100% be ALL FOR THIS, but this is not a solo game and it is not only unreasonable to expect multiple people to agree to play together if something as large as the bosses are vastly varied(heck, people lose their minds if you try and convince them that adding more grass or removing berry bushes is a possibility) and would likely increase the number of perpetually empty servers while a small handful are constantly crowded up. it is accessibility for sure but it is also group needs and in a game that is formatted by not being alone(something the game openly discourages by removing the most desired features when you insist on solo play) giving people a means of severely reducing their chances at cooperative play doesnt seem like a good idea

as for the loot drops? i am entirely behind a larger group meaning a larger loot drop, it isnt like your krampus sack becomes less valuable or loses practicality just because there is a small chance two could drop instead of just one

There are plenty of existing mods that already allow you to adjust boss health to your preference or scale it based on the number of people on the server ever since Dragonfly was turned into a raid boss. Mods have already created sliders for bosses and seem like something unnecessary to be put into the game when you can just do it with a mod.

In terms of loot drops, I feel like this sort of exists in game when up against some "raid" bosses, since if you do a large amount of health to them in a small amount of time (which is likely to be pulled off by a team fighting it) they'll usually drop their signature boss drop, so if you don't have to completely beat it again and are still able to craft their rewards for your friends.

For bosses that don't however, I feel like a lot of the rewards are purely utility and their rewards can easily be crafted again by the person who learns the blueprint, such as Bundling wrap, but in cases like the Eyebrella it can be replaced with a normal equipped umbrella or the usage of other rain-protective/summer gear that is highly underutilized. Since most of the rewards are mostly used for utility, its easy for everyone to use, such as the Bee Queen hat dropped near a sanity station or the Fuelweaver hat placed at the lunar island/caves.

If any boss were to have scaling rewards, I think Klaus would make sense to have an extra package per player there, since his loot pool is a lot more varied and fits his theme.

This has been discussed before with many good reasons given for it not being added. The most important of which is that someone joining a world can currently expect how difficult the bosses are and how much health they have, but if a slider were added people wouldn't know and would be caught off guard.

I recommend either getting better at fighting them or downloading a mod to scale their health.

16 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

This has been discussed before with many good reasons given for it not being added. The most important of which is that someone joining a world can currently expect how difficult the bosses are and how much health they have, but if a slider were added people wouldn't know and would be caught off guard.

Poor argument imo. This is the same deal with world settings. You might be expecting normal but they might have some things set to less/more. There's a way to check world settings, so there's no reason the same couldn't apply here-and no reason you should be caught off guard.

Let me put it in the politest way possible: I own TWO Skins-  one I earned from watching over 6 hours of Twitch streams, and the other one I just got in October when I paid 5$ for the Hallowed Night Bundle-

BOTH of Which are tied to fighting some highly Annoying high health Multi-Player focused Boss.

What right do you have to tell me that I need to play the game on Default difficulty to enjoy the skins I paid my money for? 
So my answers in the politest way possible-

Yes Bosses should have adjustable health pools, Yes they should still drop the supplies I need to survive with like Thick Fur, Deerclops Eye, and the crafting ingredients for the two skins I am currently here complaining about.

And before anyone says anything: A Single Panflute use and a stack of 138 gunpowder will blow her into Valhalla without me needing to throw so much as punch her way.

So TECHNICALLY you can already SCALE BOSS HEALTH (In Fact I’ve seriously considered a Stack of around 85 knowing that 138 is an Insta-Kill) I want a FAIR, FUN and Balanced fight- Without Walling off the exploding Larvae part that makes THIS Particular fight exciting and different from simply fighting a Common high HP Treeguard.

I am fine with bosses having as much health as they have.

What I'm not fine with is giving bosses attacks/mechanics that are easier to combat in a multiplayer scenario.

Yeah, yeah I get it Don't Starve tOgEThEr. I don't care. At this point dst is an improved singleplayer with built-in 2 dlcs and once you experience it you can't go back to ds.

Devs should keep that in mind so we don't end up with something that will be literally impossible to get through for a single player.

I voted No's but I'm having a change of heart. I wouldn't mind boss difficulty sliders as long as it went both ways.

Slider down = less or no loot

Slider up = more or 2x loot

That would be fair and satisfy both newby newbs and vets alike. 

Imagine, actually fearing Deerclops again. That sounds nice...

4 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I voted No's but I'm having a change of heart. I wouldn't mind boss difficulty sliders as long as it went both ways.

If they're just getting more health the only thing I'm fearing is the time lost.

1 minute ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

oohhh that sounds amazing i would love to fear deerclops. nowadays all i do when i hear them coming all i do is prepare a log suit a battle helm/football helm and a tentacle spike and thats enough to beat them but if klei added a option to make bosses have more health it could honestly make fighting deerclops harder.

4 minutes ago, stranger again said:

oohhh that sounds amazing i would love to fear deerclops. nowadays all i do when i hear them coming all i do is prepare a log suit a battle helm/football helm and a tentacle spike and thats enough to beat them but if klei added a option to make bosses have more health it could honestly make fighting deerclops harder.

Wait wait. We have a problem folks. Deerclops dropping more than one eye? Can't explain that.

22 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I am fine with bosses having as much health as they have.

What I'm not fine with is giving bosses attacks/mechanics that are easier to combat in a multiplayer scenario.

Yeah, yeah I get it Don't Starve tOgEThEr. I don't care. At this point dst is an improved singleplayer with built-in 2 dlcs and once you experience it you can't go back to ds.

Devs should keep that in mind so we don't end up with something that will be literally impossible to get through for a single player.

Well because all of this is probably considered as an Off-Topic Reply I’m putting it into a Spoiler Tag-

Spoiler

Actually now that you bring that up... how hard do you think it would be to give bosses a “Player Detection Aurora” think of it as sort of like the large red circular area around the Winter Feast version of Deerclops- Once a player steps foot in that glow Deerclops aggro’s onto them:

Well what if all bosses had a mechanic like this that told the game how many players were actively participating in the fight? 
When X amount of players are in the Aurora area Boss can use Y multiplayer focused attack- When less Then X boss can’t use that attack.

It seems pretty simple honestly: And if I knew anything about mods I could have it done in 30 minutes or less.

Klei is designing DST true, but they still need to keep in mind that not everyone can or wants to play with others.

My Multiplayer experiences with DST are usually “Join random server, Whatever happens, happens, Host Disconnects or leaves everyone gets kicked to main menu, join different server- Rinse, repeat”

I can say one thing for certain though- the character reworks, the exciting new abilities.. the new content, the character and belonging skins and ideas that are even to this day still being heavily considered for DST like elevated platforms of land, walls, Roofs, Y axis building.. 

All of that makes DST feel less like DS with Multiplayer and more like DS 2: The Sequel.

Klei needs to balance things around both the Solo, and the Multiplayers.. and I have great confidence that they know how to provide proper balance between the two.

If you don’t want to click the spoiler tag: Fine as of 2019.. Klei stopped developing DST as Multiplayer DS, and officially started acknowledging the game as a Sequel: And there should be wide sweeping changes that balance the game based on that.

7 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Wait wait. We have a problem folks. Deerclops dropping more than one eye? Can't explain that.

You know how hound numbers increase with day count? Wouldn't you rather face 2 normal deerclops rather than 1 extra beefy one. One can trash your base while you deal with the other : )

3 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Wait wait. We have a problem folks. Deerclops dropping more than of eye? Can't explain that.

oh come on its very simple to explain ill do it 

so each deerclops eyeball heals 60 hp so lets say that it permanently gives deerclops 100 hp so deerclops would have to eat 40 deerclops eyeballs (if were talking about double health)out of those 40 deerclops eyeballs deerclops can't digest them all one would stay in his stomach and upon killing him you get that deerclops eyeball its simple right?

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

it can drop more meat instead

that makes more sense actually

1 minute ago, D7X said:

You know how hound numbers increase with day count? Wouldn't you rather face 2 normal deerclops rather than 1 extra beefy one. One can trash your base while you deal with the other : )

Holy Cow. Now that would be something. THAT I would be terrified of. Okay, I'm on the boss sliders train completely. Everyone join me because....THIS IS MY 1000th POST! Sorry to hijack thread but had to celebrate.

Archived