Boss Sliders, Loot Sharing, Loot Drops

Boss Sliders/Loot Sharing/Loot Drops  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should DST have a difficulty/health slider for bosses?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I don't care
  2. 2. Should there be an increase in the loot that drops from a boss when multiple people take part in defeating said boss?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
  3. 3. Assuming boss sliders were added at some point, should loot drops remain the same for bosses defeated at a lower difficulty level than what we currently have at the moment?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
  4. 4. How long have you played DST?

• Less than a year
    • Over a year
    • Over 2 years
    • Since the beginning

As a person gets crazy when get one tooth from all walrus, no. I don't think same for it. Using more players will make killing boss more easy and more sources will make it more and more easier.

But sometimes, sources can be annoying  and Klei can add "aftergame" items that spawn bosses to fix it. Like moosegoose kazoo or deerclops bell*, or dragonfly egg. just like terraria. This would save some players from waiting a year to getting an item. And two boss? NO.

I'm not sure. I kind of just adapted to the bosses as they are to be "solo" bosses and the only downside to killing them as a group is having to divvy up the loot. I suppose the option wouldn't be terrible besides making some people reliant on easier modes. Personally I would never use them so I have no opinion on them, besides thinking that they are not really necessary. I truly wouldn't mind either way, so long as I'll still be able to reliably find public servers that aren't scaled down.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I'm not sure. I kind of just adapted to the bosses as they are to be "solo" bosses and the only downside to killing them as a group is having to divvy up the loot. I suppose the option wouldn't be terrible besides making some people reliant on easier modes. Personally I would never use them so I have no opinion on them, besides not thinking that they are necessary. I truly wouldn't mind either way, so long as I'll still be able to find public servers that aren't scaled down.

Not everyone is grasping the full concept here: each boss having an individual difficulty slider would allow players to have even more control over their game worlds, and to custom tailor their entire gameplay experience to their preferred skill level

Using my own experience as an example: Deerclops is too easy, I laugh at its arrival because it has low health and can be killed Quickly, Meanwhile Dragonfly is too hard.. and no matter what I’ve tried I still fail-

these sliders would allow me to make Deerclops more of a challenge, while making Dragonfly less of a challenge- Which would allow me to enjoy all parts of the game without parts of it feeling Underwhelming or Overwhelming.

Less Health & Damage is just ONE Option: But what if it extended beyond just that? What if you could scale MORE Health, More advanced attacks- And just in general make what is a Cakewalk for 6+ players exciting and challenging again.

The more comfortable players feel playing on the lower end of the sliders the more they will adapt and eventually feel like pushing them up to higher thresholds.

For anyone who has played State Of Decay 2: They actually REMOVED the games pre-determined difficulty from that game and NOW the game has adjustable content sliders like for example: Amount of world resources, amount of zombies in world, Extremities of community wants/needs, damage taken by enemies.. Adjusting those to your preferred playing preferences determines the games overall difficulty now.

I campaign for these things to happen in DST because SoD 2 is clear example of how it’s already being put to effective use, this is probably one of the TOP things I would expect from a Quality of Life Update #3 if we got one actually.

It makes the game more accessible not just to ME, But to YOU and KLEI as well-

What I mean by that is that Klei no longer has to worry if the content they add to the game is designed for a single player or multiple players: Because these nifty little adjustable sliders would do all of the work of balancing that out for them.

Now rather or not it would be worth Klei’s time to consider, is entirely up to Klei- I’m just providing examples of why I personally would like to see it happen, and examples of other game franchises that have used it to moderate success.

Nope game is fine as it is, its meant to be an uncompromising survival game, allowing you to make bosses how difficult you want them to be makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in the setting or the type of game its meant to be. There are meant to be terrifying creatures in the constant. Also how would we make tier lists of how strong/hard the bosses are if they don't really have any official difficulty and can just be changed!! (joking)

This game gets such an outrageous amount of suggestions and requests for changes to the game from fans. Its really great on the one hand because certain suggestions that are very well received that the vast majority of players support actually get implemented sometimes but also really bad as this leads to certain people that rant on and on about specific changes a tiny majority (or even simply just them) want added to the main game and then act like Klei are evil for not including their unpopular ideas in the game simply because other (generally very well received and supported by the majority) suggestions are indeed implemented on occasion.

This game is AMAZING and has so much content with more content and support that arrives literally every month, can we please maybe cool it a little on the constant "should this be changed? should this be easier for new players?" posts and requests and just enjoy the amazing game we already have?

11 hours ago, D7X said:

You know how hound numbers increase with day count? Wouldn't you rather face 2 normal deerclops rather than 1 extra beefy one. One can trash your base while you deal with the other : )

that is actually possible with dst the way it is now. if you set the bosses to 'lots' they have a chance of spawning even if one is already on the same map somewhere. i've legit had bearger fight itself to death and have sat in streams where someone was trying to deal with deer and another one showed up

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

that is actually possible with dst the way it is now. if you set the bosses to 'lots' they have a chance of spawning even if one is already on the same map somewhere. i've legit had bearger fight itself to death and have sat in streams where someone was trying to deal with deer and another one showed up

God tell me about it, if you set them to lots.. and then also set your seasons & season lengths to random: You could have Deerclops show up on Day 2, and then again on Day 6-  it gets CRAZY!!!

People think I suck at this game because I want raid bosses to be made easier- Let me explain that fighting raid bosses is NOT the reason I bought DS/DST and to be honest I’m quite upset that Klei choose to focus so many updates on adding these raid bosses that I either Turn Completely Off Altogether: Or Ignore that it Exists on my Map.

What I BOUGHT the game for and got into the franchise in the first place for was the promise of “Exploring Randomly generated Worlds full of things that hate you & want you to Die” that was LITERALLY the line that got me to even press the Purchase button on the Original DS game..

And prior to Reign of Giants: There was most defiantly NOT this large over done focus on high health raid boss fights.

Luckily Klei seems to take this Criticism to heart: because Return of Them has been adding more of the things I like to see (new biomes, new mobs to fight, new craftable structures & items etc..) 
Aka- More worlds full of things that hate me & want me to die.

My personal enjoyment of this franchise comes from simply wandering all around the map in a Nomadic playstyle (exactly how DS Single Players 5 chapter campaign mode encourages you to play) while fighting random creatures for food, or just glorious battle, all while applying some crazy & mostly harsh conditions to my world generation itself.

My enjoyment is most Defiantly NOT in fighting incredibly high health raid bosses that can very Easily be defeated by simply gathering a group of players rather then going at it Alone.. But even those things COULD become enjoyable if there were OPTIONS to make them easier to fight.

It’s not like the people asking for this is going to ruin the game for everyone else- Why do you guys insist upon saying “No” when it’s none of your business how other people want to enjoy their worlds? 

Do any of you join my random season & season length worlds where (If Klei would add more options..) Day lengths would also be completely random & Healing couldn’t be done by food eating or by sleeping..? 

No.. you don’t join my worlds of Mad Unpredictable Chaos.. so would you also be joining these worlds where raid bosses were made any less difficult to battle?

Not unless that’s something you secretly wanted to do but would never admit to.

I don’t think I would complain about it at all if the bosses actually grew more intelligent and gained new abilities when more players are fighting them- But no... it’s literally the same fight, with the same mechanics, and the exact same health pool- Which is just easier if you gather more players to fight it.

14 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah, yeah I get it Don't Starve tOgEThEr. I don't care. At this point dst is an improved singleplayer with built-in 2 dlcs and once you experience it you can't go back to ds.

I disagree, they're simply two unique games. DST isn't just an improved version of DS, since it's missing SW and Hamlet, two huge DLCs that add entirely different gameplay from DST. I can't go to DST to get my 3-world gameplay, or my incredibly high speeds, or my merged crafting basebuilding. Just as I can't go to DS to get my super involved boating, or my engaging boss killing, or any of those events I love so much. Not to mention I'm constantly missing Hamlet or reworked characters depending on version.

Even when looking at them without considering multiplayer, DS and DST are two different games that give different gameplay to scratch different Don't Starve itches. There's no version that's better, or one that you experience and then can't play the other.

6 minutes ago, gaymime said:

would you knock it off? the other thread got a warning. don't bring it over here as well.

The other thread got a warning because people were trying to provide the OP with boss fighting strategies when the op did not create their thread asking for boss fighting strategies- I can confirm this by showing you my reactions history of said OP liking my posts when I tried to point that out to the people who were trying to help.. but still being Off-Topic.

This thread however seems more appropriate for what I just posted- because it’s discussing why people would or would not want boss sliders- And that was my reasoning as to Why I would want them.

If you do not wish to partake in that type of discussion don’t comment on the thread.

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

People think I suck at this game because I want raid bosses to be made easier- Let me explain that fighting raid bosses is NOT the reason I bought DS/DST and to be honest I’m quite upset that Klei choose to focus so many updates on adding these raid bosses that I either Turn Completely Off Altogether: Or Ignore that it Exists on my Map

Is not about you suck. Nobody should care your skill (still being weird to  die from starvation as wig or not being able to kill df after a year here and others missunderstanding due of lack of game knowledge but who cares) is about all the noise and bad arguments just for, again, a personal preference

If you dont like raid bosses, if you didnt buy the game for them, why you care? There is tons of methods to kill bosses alone

I have killed beequeen in 5 totally different ways but you refuse to try

You talk about how easy is to kill them for a group of players and that isnt a good thing for the game, they are suppose to be BOSSES no a little granny giving you cookies and is only easy if the players know what to do that is where you and everyone who tried for the first time a boss fails

Klei added a bunch of raid bosses in ANR because there was nothing like that in RoG so, for make multiplayer interesting, added that so people can coordinate to kill bigger threads and is a very good adition for a solo experience 

If you want bosses that consume less time use volt goat jelly with any character

If you dont enjoy fighting raid bosses to get loot that makes the game easier dont bother with them, if you do use an army, cathapults, fire farms, etc but expecting DF loot from a 5k hp boss is a non sense

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Meanwhile Dragonfly is too hard.. and no matter what I’ve tried I still fail

You give up so quickly. 

I dont have patience so i dont play dark souls but i dont go to dark souls forums to ask for difficulty levels

18 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

There's no version that's better, or one that you experience and then can't play the other.

Gameplay wise, sure, they're 2 different games cuz you can buy 2 dlcs with cool content.

However there's just something annoying about quiting dst, which is constantly hotfixed and polished by the devs, and then starting up ds and experiencing 2 year old bugs.

Anyway...

My point still stands- dst is played by people alone and so Klei shouldn't add multiplayer-focused content.

Just now, Szczuku said:

My point still stands- dst is played by people alone and so Klei shouldn't add multiplayer-focused content.

They should but if is balanced so a solo player can do it too like how well designed are boats that can be perfectly controlled by one player and so confortable and easy for +2 players

Spoiler could be considered Off-Topic & I do not wish to be issued another warning from Mr JoeW so I have spoiler tagged my thoughts for your convenience please don’t click if you do not wish to read, Thanks!

Spoiler

The more DST changes with the updates they started in 2019, For New Content, Character Reworks, QoL Updates: 

The Less DST feels like DS with Multiplayer and the more it starts to feel like an actual sequel to DS. 

(as an actual story writer I can say that the very opening scene of DST where it shows Wilson already on the Throne, Officially put the game in line to become a Sequel..)

Personally I find it VERY Hard to go back to and Enjoy Solo DS- Character skins & belonging skins take my game to a whole new level of customization that DS solo does not have.. but it extends beyond just skins- Its hard to play Willow without Bernie now.. or Wendy without Ectoherbology, It just feels... very very outdated.

Sure Theres Shipwrecked and Hamlet for DS solo, But if I’m being Honest I only bought them in hopes they would someday become compatible with DST so I can enjoy SW/Ham content but with a friend or two AND with access to all my skin collection.

If DST is now officially a sequel- then it shouldn’t be entirely multiplayer focused, content should be designed with less players in mind.. nothing about the game should feel like a forced multiplayer feature.

And the bigger changes Klei makes to the game: such as Building on the Y-Axis.. the more and more DST is going to feel like DS2 and despite Together being in its title: Klei has to obviously know that the new content, character reworks, awesome new skins and near monthly updates is what’s drawing in their player base specifically to DST.

If DS single player was discontinued as soon as Tommorow and instead DST had DS Single player merged into it (meaning you can play DS inside DST with the game being largely unchanged save for maybe two player coop and skin use) then I wouldn’t miss DS Single Player..

In fact: If all the content of DS solo was in DST there wouldn’t be this split fan base of people playing DS Solo and others playing DST- because you’d access all content and DLC from the same game.

There are OPTIONS to host worlds as Classic or Together- currently that only seems to remove the DST bosses like Dragonfly’s biome.. BUT- What if it reversed the game back to prior to Return of Them?

as in Pre-Rework character abilities, Pre-Return of Them cardboard cutout ocean, ETC..

I guess the TL:DR of my point is now that DST is officially being acknowledge as a DS sequel- then it needs to be treated more like an actual DS Sequel instead of just the Multiplayer-Centric expansion to DS.

And things like having adjustable health/difficulty on otherwise Multiplayer intended gameplay features like these bosses- would go a long way in helping out with that I would think?

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Spoiler could be considered Off-Topic & I do not wish to be issued another warning from Mr JoeW so I have spoiler tagged my thoughts for your convenience please don’t click if you do not wish to read, Thanks!

Reveal hidden contents

The more DST changes with the updates they started in 2019, For New Content, Character Reworks, QoL Updates: 

The Less DST feels like DS with Multiplayer and the more it starts to feel like an actual sequel to DS. 

(as an actual story writer I can say that the very opening scene of DST where it shows Wilson already on the Throne, Officially put the game in line to become a Sequel..)

Personally I find it VERY Hard to go back to and Enjoy Solo DS- Character skins & belonging skins take my game to a whole new level of customization that DS solo does not have.. but it extends beyond just skins- Its hard to play Willow without Bernie now.. or Wendy without Ectoherbology, It just feels... very very outdated.

Sure Theres Shipwrecked and Hamlet for DS solo, But if I’m being Honest I only bought them in hopes they would someday become compatible with DST so I can enjoy SW/Ham content but with a friend or two AND with access to all my skin collection.

If DST is now officially a sequel- then it shouldn’t be entirely multiplayer focused, content should be designed with less players in mind.. nothing about the game should feel like a forced multiplayer feature.

And the bigger changes Klei makes to the game: such as Building on the Y-Axis.. the more and more DST is going to feel like DS2 and despite Together being in its title: Klei has to obviously know that the new content, character reworks, awesome new skins and near monthly updates is what’s drawing in their player base specifically to DST.

If DS single player was discontinued as soon as Tommorow and instead DST had DS Single player merged into it (meaning you can play DS inside DST with the game being largely unchanged save for maybe two player coop and skin use) then I wouldn’t miss DS Single Player..

In fact: If all the content of DS solo was in DST there wouldn’t be this split fan base of people playing DS Solo and others playing DST- because you’d access all content and DLC from the same game.

There are OPTIONS to host worlds as Classic or Together- currently that only seems to remove the DST bosses like Dragonfly’s biome.. BUT- What if it reversed the game back to prior to Return of Them?

as in Pre-Rework character abilities, Pre-Return of Them cardboard cutout ocean, ETC..

I guess the TL:DR of my point is now that DST is officially being acknowledge as a DS sequel- then it needs to be treated more like an actual DS Sequel instead of just the Multiplayer-Centric expansion to DS.

And things like having adjustable health/difficulty on otherwise Multiplayer intended gameplay features like these bosses- would go a long way in helping out with that I would think?

In this you have part of truth

Dst should have the dangers of ds, atleast in xxxx days world

Summer and winter are a joke in comparation to ds 

:)

4 hours ago, gaymime said:

I've never tried setting bosses to lots just for fear of constant Bearger attacks destroying everything, doesn't really suit my base building playstyle. I was thinking if more than one were to spawn it could be cool if there was like a "call for backup" system, so if 4 people are all just wailing on a Deerclops and it's health is going down too fast it lets out a roar and summons a friend.

make boss blueprint can put in alchemy engine like you put sketch in potter's wheel and everyone can build it

so my friends don't need to wait another 70 days to build lazy deserter by themselves

that's all I want.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The other thread got a warning because people were trying to provide the OP with boss fighting strategies when the op did not create their thread asking for boss fighting strategies- I can confirm this by showing you my reactions history of said OP liking my posts when I tried to point that out to the people who were trying to help.. but still being Off-Topic.

This thread however seems more appropriate for what I just posted- because it’s discussing why people would or would not want boss sliders- And that was my reasoning as to Why I would want them.

If you do not wish to partake in that type of discussion don’t comment on the thread.

Please just Stop. Stop being rude to Klei and other players and stop pushing your agenda. Do you genuinely not see that almost every time you post you start an argument or heated debate because you refuse to acknowledge anything but your point of view or your desires and won't accept any advice, criticism or responsibility?

Your "upset" with Klei because the game isn't tailored specifically to you and you think just because a raid boss hasn't been added in a while that Klei have specifically taken your individual criticism onboard and are moving forward with that in mind? I simply cannot understand this mindset and such unbased assumptions.

I genuinely hope the Mysterious Energy leads to a raid boss harder than DF and BQ combined at this point to end this discussion once and for all. Also late game all the bosses but Crab King (who is more tedious than challenging) are a walk in the park now, I'd love a new challenge.

Archived