Let's talk about dst's building mechanic

Hello, new thread.

This is sort of a continuation of my last thread, in which I talked about dst's ambiance. That's cuz ambiance and building mechanic play a major role in the endgame. 

Anyway...

80% of dst's building mechanic is skins. I'm sorry but someone had to say it. It's most obvious durring this time of the year, durring Hallowed Nights. If you want to build a spooky setpiece then the vanilla game only gives you Totally Normal Trees, the rest you have to buy/get lucky with presents.

Let's recap what Klei has done durring RoT to expand building in dst:

-Trees won't aggresively spawn themselves in the middle of your build

-Added missing bosses' statues

-You can now craft turfs

The biggest addition was probably the turf-crafting station. We can now make one place prettier without making other place uglier.

Imo there's still a lot Klei should work on after they're done with RoT.

After all every playthrough leads to endgame and dst's endgame is underdeveloped

Discuss... I guess

It will be a lot of work to create a lot of new items with no uses more than filling the crafting tab for decoration 

A lot of the new stuff works as decoration too so they have in mind how players like base building.

Also, we receive a stupid amount of skins (the first walls skins are for free..). Other companies are way more greddy (see riot and his 50€ skins)

I will not mind to have a decoration tab like hamlet but only that, not focusing that much in decoration when the game has things to improve first 

It can be argued that the entirety of Return of Them as a whole has provided base building features, Don’t believe me?

Ill just end this whole conversation by stating that you CAN build boat masts on land.. you CAN Also upgrade this boat Mast to the Boat Lightning Conductor or Boat Lantern (the actual names of these things aren’t important you all know what I’m talking about)

What does being able to build boat lantern masts on land do for players like Me? Well for one thing: it’s an easier to craft street lamp like alternative to the harder to obtain Mushlight.

But when used for Base decorations they both serve the same purpose- Street Lamp.

Turn of Tides added Boats and people use Those as Bridges.

Salty Dog added Salt Box.

Hook, Line & Inker added- Tackle Box, Tin fishin bin Etc..

She Sells Seashells THESE which can be cosmetically placed around like so- 7A778218-A95F-482C-B6FD-9321EF275FF8.thumb.jpeg.8de2078dd02201a60567373138ef06a7.jpeg

This is an old picture I used as a Meme.. but you can still see the Sea Shell stack behind my Alchemy engine being used for purely cosmetic looks.

Troubled Waters added the previous mentioned Lightning and Lamp upgrades.

Somewhere along that list the Clean Sweep became a thing- and I use it ALOT now.

Not only do the shells work as decoration, they add an alternative way to get broken shells which can then be used to decorate your base with ferns/succulents. That said I'd love a new potted plant, maybe a mini lune tree in a pot or a potted version of the new mushroom? I'd also like a corner pieces for fences, which they could just add as new skins for the wooden walls, just something that matches better and maybe variations for all the fence skins. I also thought of an idea for a "big" sign the other day that would serve as an entrance/exit with some nice verticality, basically would look like a bigger drying rack with a sign/plank you can write on at the top and i was thinking it'd take up a 1x4 area (in walls). It could either have no collision or the posts on either side could have collision but not the middle part you walk through. I would use drying racks for this but they rotate with the camera sadly.

Thanks for the tip about masts tho Mike, I've built the pinchin' winch on land but never thought to try the other things :wilson_facepalm:

dont forget the fences! i tried that out this morning and i am super happy<3<3 no more exploiting the hitboxes of walls and getting stuck outside of the cave ground or drowning just to get the wall one tile closer to the land XD

for sure though the anchor looks great when you plant it on sand or wood floor and deploy it same using trinkets as beach decor! you can defos do a lot without reskins and end-game items(though they certainly help)

8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

It will be a lot of work to create a lot of new items with no uses more than filling the crafting tab for decoration

Yeah... that's kind of the point. I'd like Klei to (after RoT ofc) dedicate a few updates to things like building, ambiance, old content and such.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It can be argued that the entirety of Return of Them as a whole has provided base building features

Well that's obvious, isn't it. That's why I didn't list stuff like Lune Trees or Stone Fruit Bushes.

Everything can be used as a decoration but some things exist solely to be used as a decoration.

42 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I think I'm ready for inclines and whatnot at some point. Divots in the ground, hills, and even craftable stairs as well; I'd love to make a castle or go exploring through a chilled mountain expanse.

Now there's a neat idea! Don't Starve with multilevel structures! Wouldn't that look werid in game though?

51 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I think I'm ready for inclines and whatnot at some point. Divots in the ground, hills, and even craftable stairs as well; I'd love to make a castle or go exploring through a chilled mountain expanse.

Elevation would be super awesome! Maybe an expansion after RoT would be focused on elevation

6 minutes ago, TheDoughboy1917 said:

Now there's a neat idea! Don't Starve with multilevel structures! Wouldn't that look werid in game though?

If it's done right I don't think it'd look too weird.

I still just want to be able to stack 3 of the same structure types on top of each other with the second and top one being adjustable for smaller size options.

Instead of 3 storage boxes beside each other.. they would all take up the same space.. and would stack vertically.

How you would Access each box individually is Klei’s problem to figure out, I’m just providing an idea that would not only save me space in my base but would also provide me with something that can be visually pleasing to the eyeballs as well.

imagine being able to stack your own “Tiki Totem” of the bosses you’ve killed & made statues of..

Anything that gets me any closer to THIS (3 Moondials of different sizes stacked on top each other) I am happy with. :)

95980723-70C0-4FFB-A00E-EECA444B28DA.jpeg.6f67645b284ae57a88af860f52d5e9bb.jpeg

Not ALL Structures should stack.. but things like 3 different wall colors for example SHOULD- So I can do the Ancient Stone on top, Thulecite Stone in Middle, and Regular Stone at bottom.. etc

Its something that would quite literally take our base building to new heights.

And it’s probably going to end up being a mod in a few hours.

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

80% of dst's building mechanic is skins.

This makes absolutely no sense, the only mechanic skins deal with are chests, spools, and the trade inn. Not only that but you picked a random high number to say is the percentage of the building mechanic. Skins don't help you build, skins don't add special effects, skin's have nothing to do with the mechanic of building at all regardless of what you say.

You can't just say "make building better" without having any idea of how to make it better either. Sounds to me like you're upset that you don't have all the skins you want.

"I cant make everything spooky without skins" I'm sorry are they supposed to have separate items that sure absolutely no purpose because you wanted to make your base look "spooky"?

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Elevation would be super awesome! Maybe an expansion after RoT would be focused on elevation

If it's done right I don't think it'd look too weird.

If you spawn boats on the same spot they stack up, although they break a few seconds after you can walk around them and see what a multi leveled base would look like from the outside. Of course if you were inside of it im sure the top layers would be transparent or whatever but its still a really cool thing to see

28 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

If you spawn boats on the same spot they stack up, although they break a few seconds after you can walk around them and see what a multi leveled base would look like from the outside. Of course if you were inside of it im sure the top layers would be transparent or whatever but its still a really cool thing to see

I've seen some people do really cool stuff with the Y axis and some of my favourite examples are these ones here.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847392216

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847392132

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847392340

This person was able to create some really cool stuff by putting walls higher or lower on the Y axis and I love it.

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I've seen some people do really cool stuff with the Y axis and some of my favourite examples are these ones here.

This person was able to create some really cool stuff by putting walls higher or lower on the Y axis and I love it.

That's so sick. I'm on the Y-Axis train now. That should be the next thing after RoT. 

9 hours ago, JustCrimson said:

I'm sorry are they supposed to have separate items that sure absolutely no purpose because you wanted to make your base look "spooky"?

Uhhh... yeah? We have an entire crafting station and crafting tab dedicated to making fancy statues. Why can't we have ones related to spooky things. Or survival, nature, magic, clockwork etc.

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Uhhh... yeah? We have an entire crafting station and crafting tab dedicated to making fancy statues. Why can't we have ones related to spooky things. Or survival, nature, magic, clockwork etc.

Because the statues are from bosses? Despite it being decoration it still serves a purpose? ooh yes lets add another tab for "clockwork" because im sure everyone would love that to be added rather than some actual gameplay changes, haha look its a gear chair that does nothing besides be made out of gear!

On 10/25/2020 at 7:14 AM, Szczuku said:

Hallowed Nights. If you want to build a spooky setpiece then the vanilla game only gives you Totally Normal Trees, the rest you have to buy/get lucky with presents.

I can agree that there are only a lot of spooky structures via skins, but I also half think this is because people are not fully utilizing what the game has to offer for decor.

For instance, if I wanted to make a no skinned Halloween build, I can do the following:

-Use bat bats 

-Use graves around the world, especially in combo with totally normal trees

-The mad science lab itself (which honestly is still one of my favorite non skinned items in the game)

-Scarecrows

-Evil flowers, mainly for the ambiance and because you can properly “place” them via planting normal flowers and haunting them

-Skeletons (similar reasons, except you die on the spot where you want the skeleton)

-Candy bag, and all 14 candies hallowed nights gives

-Every potion from the mad scientist lab

-Jack o lanterns (this one sucks because it is technically temporary, but there aren’t any other skins that can do a similar effect that doesn’t  also spoil)

-Trinkets (especially the ones from hallowed nights itself)

-Etc.

When it comes down to it, a build isn’t always composed of structures. Sure, they will be a focal point, but little items scattered around not only add to the ambiance, but also the feel of the build. And there’s a lot to choose from, too!

As for paying for skins, I personally have never minded it. You also get a significant amount of excess spools from all of the drops, so chances are if you played enough you probably could weave the skins you wanted too.

A thing I do agree with someone is random little decorative structures/items. For instance, I know a lot people don’t like shell bells, but I personally adore them and I think they look nice for beach builds. Potted ferns/succulents are also neat too, despite not doing anything significant. It’s the reason I love stuff like the little festive baubles from bosses in winters feast. Yes, they don’t do anything, but it’s a neat little trinket that is just fun to have and can put to festive use.

22 hours ago, Hornete said:

we need something better than a potato cup coz i am just about trembling with how revolutionary this feels when it comes to basebuilding<3<3 it is a whole entire dimension of possibilities!!!

Bit of a side track but I wish the clicking itself wasn't so fiddly.

I do love to use the game's shortcut for putting items back in my pocket with right-clicking, I use it all the time and wouldn't want to see it go. But man when planting a hundred pinecones and loosing grip of them every time. Or when night comes as a surprise and you just had to click the campfire on a tiny edge of geometry and the building option is removed. Maybe I'd prefer faulty placement to not remove the item from cursor but just say no.

Archived