Let's talk about dst's building mechanic

14 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Uhhh... yeah? We have an entire crafting station and crafting tab dedicated to making fancy statues. Why can't we have ones related to spooky things. Or survival, nature, magic, clockwork etc.

"...isn't it odd how, when you say to someone, "Oh, do you want to meet up for some dinner next Thursday?", the dinner is a lie. What you're really saying is, "It'd be nice to meet up with you. I haven't seen you for a while." Why do we have to have this dinner cover? How do you know how hungry you're going to be on Thursday? Why can't we just say, "It'd be nice to meet up with you"? And there should be a place where you could just meet, the meeting place, an indoor place, where you walk in and you sit down, there's nothing, just chairs, and you sit down and you look at each other and you meet, and it's truthful, it's authentic, it's beautiful. And then I thought, after about half an hour there you could get a bit hungry. And I invented the restaurant." 

You made me think of this bit from an old Simon Amstell stand-up. You've invented skins, well done.

Seeing the wonderful things people have been doing with elevation makes me quite happy, those are the kinds of massive changes to DST that would truly cement its place as being a true sequel to DS.

I sincerely hope that Klei will consider these things- because Elevated lands bring a whole new dimension to the game, one that isn’t just for purely cosmetic purposes.. imagine for example.. having to sail your Boat in between two elevated inclines in sort of like a river canal.. because you can’t just simply throw a boat kit in between the gap of land and merrily hop your way across without a care in the world..

you would actually have to go AROUND the plot of land- and that to me is one of DSTs biggest problems.. you can pretty much walk in a straight line from point A to point B without so much as a single obstacle blocking your path.. Elevation would be one unique way Klei could change that.

9 hours ago, D7X said:

You made me think of this bit from an old Simon Amstell stand-up. You've invented skins, well done

I'm not sure I understand what you meant.

I mean, of course devs could just add more skins to structures and call it a day. But I'd like them to instead add more decorative items. Of course after RoT is done.

two words. Ham. Let.

Look, it doesn't need to be a 1:1 hamlet in dst, but for a while, I've wanted something similar.

As RoT is dst's answer to shipwrecked, I want there to be dst's answer to hamlet.

I want to be able to build houses and townships. Even shops.

I want to be able to give my guests a plot of hammerspace land to build in without intruding on my vision for the world.

I can't stand megabases, honestly. They're factories. Lifeless factories in which you eat, make grass, make twigs and cook in.

I would love commerce, economy and the general feeling of progressing to the last possible point after managing to survive. Rebuild. 

It's almost basically what we have in any world past day 1000, except it would be something more polished. 

I love what hamlet brought to the table in single player. I want a tiny bit of that in dst.

Pugalisk and iron hulk wouldn't hurt either, alas, they have nothing to do with building

On 10/25/2020 at 6:29 PM, Hornete said:

I've seen some people do really cool stuff with the Y axis and some of my favourite examples are these ones here.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847392216

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847392132

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847392340

This person was able to create some really cool stuff by putting walls higher or lower on the Y axis and I love it.

Now *this* is some impressive stuff!

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I mean, of course devs could just add more skins to structures and call it a day. But I'd like them to instead add more decorative items.

Well actually I'd be fine with both.

Devs add some decorative items about nature and then release a bunch of nature-themed skins for structures and items.

Archived