[Poll] What Don't Starve/Together Lore to cover next?

DS/T Lore Coverage  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What section of the lore would you want to be covered first?

• Charlie and Them
    • The History of the Ancients
    • Maxwell/William Carter
    • The Forge and The Gorge
    • The 'Moon' (as of Forgotten Knowledge)
    • Survivor Backstories
    • Miscellaneous (specify in the comments)

Due to such a positive response on my Forgotten Knowledge Lore post, I decided to try and cover more DS/T lore in the future. I'll likely cover the other topics in order of most popular to least popular depending on how many people want them to be covered. If the miscellaneous questions have short enough answers or analyses I'll likely try to answer em in the post too.

30 minutes ago, mathem99 said:

Miscellaneous: Why Maxwell banished the Rock Lobsters in the caves. That's my question.

The meme answer: His favorite food is Lobster Dinner and he's angry he can't eat them.

The meme-ier answer: He experienced that one bug where if you carry them to the surface in DS then they make tons upon tons of herds and flood the world.

The meme-iest and probably most in-character one for Maxwell: they kept eating his statues, which is why he resorted to using marble since they don't eat that and then he banished them for disrespecting him.

9 minutes ago, Scypham said:

The meme answer: His favorite food is Lobster Dinner and he's angry he can't eat them.

The meme-ier answer: He experienced that one bug where if you carry them to the surface in DS then they make tons upon tons of herds and flood the world.

The meme-iest and probably most in-character one for Maxwell: they kept eating his statues, which is why he resorted to using marble since they don't eat that and then he banished them for disrespecting him.

These are surprisingly good

I might've missed this from long ago or something obvious in general, but um, I've been wondering about these symbols on the ancient mural recently.

bild.thumb.png.94a23d50c1b02ad1d6333909fb31342d.png

The varying levels of detail put into the whatever it is this symbol depicts strikes me as if there is some intent behind it's design and not just an arbitrary choice of aesthetic shape to balance out the canvas with. What would you suppose it is..? Just crab.. claws?

58 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

I might've missed this from long ago or something obvious in general, but um, I've been wondering about these symbols on the ancient mural recently.

The varying levels of detail put into the whatever it is this symbol depicts strikes me as if there is some intent behind it's design and not just an arbitrary choice of aesthetic shape to balance out the canvas with. What would you suppose it is..? Just crab.. claws?

Crabby Hermit is the REAL mastermind behind it all! Crap King was merely a distraction!

2 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Those symbols have a very loose similarity to a symbol used in the ancient language as well.
394220230_AncientLanguage1(2).png.7aef0006616d2b5b8c5bea3d0bbb4ae2.png
I definitely think there's some significance to them but what that significance is is beyond me. At first I thought it was leaves but it'd be odd for leaves to sprout from the atrium, then I considered if there was ever a meaning attached to the symbol in the ancient language (looks like the only conclusion people ever came up with is that it's the symbol for 'dark' in the language but I don't know what they based that on). This is a pretty good question and I wish I had a definitive answer to give you or a theory with some evidence behind it but I can't. They only appear around the Gateway and yet there's nothing like that in its area when the survivors explore it.

You'd have to go purely based off of design for this. It could be a symbol, though what the symbol means is beyond me. Could be 'darkness' like what a theory people had years ago said, could be 'fire' purely based off of the fact it has an extremely vague resemblance to it (the symbol i sent more so). Could be something the Ancients once used to channel the fuel from beyond the Gateway. Heck, it could even be ancient kids. They got what appears to be a head with eyes and a segmented stomach design in some designs like the ancients did. Though, probably not that last one. I just wanted to say something outlandish. Could also just be a random symbol Klei put in, but where's the fun in that.

Sorry I couldn't give you anything solid on this. Your guess is as good as mine really.

36 minutes ago, SpikeGuy said:

The meaning "dark" for that particular symbol comes from a brightened version of the image in the seventh William Carter Puzzle, which labels it as "Tenebris".

OH. Thanks so much for clarifying that! That's a big thing for me since I overthink the Metheus murals every now and then. Tying this back to the claw symbols, while they still do look very different it is the closest thing we have to a connection. Given that those claws only appear around the Gateway in 2 murals too and the Gateway was used to gain more fuel and enhance it, it's possible that it's the symbol for 'dark' to representing the power that was being used or the symbol itself is based on those claws which could've helped channel the fuel (still wouldnt explain what exactly they are though). Only explanation I got now.

4 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Doesn't it depicts the depressed roomba moving its shell to make thulicite? 

1 hour ago, Articestone said:

Doesn't it depicts the depressed roomba moving its shell to make thulicite? 

I'd say yes because if that was the case it'd make alot more sense but unfortunately the moth is very colourful and distinct in shape and the den is pretty distinct in texture and shape. I'd love for it to have been the moths since there's no real indication that they were the source of Thulecite as far as I know, but it's just not them it would seem. Could be though, This puzzle is like what, 2 or 3 years old? I doubt they had the designs for both things down by then. We'd need something in the future to help confirm this suspicion though.

My answer- what Wilson did during his time on the throne, and what powers or knowledges he gained from his time on the throne.

If Wilson’s rework comes and he does not get anything new reflecting that he traveled through 5 randomly generated worlds and then choose to free Maxwell by taking his place- Then I am going to be very highly disappointed with Wilson’s refresh.

But- I kinda want to see more IN-GAME Lore, like- You know how sometimes Maxwell has Quotes for Mobs that are along the lines of “I don’t know how these got in here.. or I don’t remember making this one..”??

Well when Wilson examines that same mob Wilson could have a quote like “Oh boy.. I definitely regret making that..”

Its in-game lore that shows that a Mob added to the game, was created After Maxwells reign had ended & Wilsons had begun.

you would think that if Wilson traded places with Maxwell and had the same control over watching Maxwell suffer many repeated deaths same as Max did to Wilson.. that there would be some kind of Official lore pointing to it- How exactly did Wilson and Maxwell go from “I highly dislike You” Arch-Enemies, to actually cooperating and working together to build the Jury rigged portal and pull all the rest of the Survivors into the same area with them?

THATS the Lore I want to see-

What happened between the conclusion of DS, and the Introduction scene of DST where Charlie frees Wilson & takes his place upon the throne as Shadow Queen?

Pointless lore question I want to ask you, it's a dumb one but it's been on my mind for a while. The NPC ghosts, why can't they be resurrected via telltale hearts? Wortox mentions there being "no body to return to", but I don't exactly know what that means. I assumed it meant that there wasn't a skeleton in the grave (leave it to Maxwell to make graves and then just bury trinkets in them) and therefore they had no physical connection left on The Constant and thus couldn't be brought back (Similar to how Abigail has no remains on The Constant and is linked to the flower, therefore she can only be brought back as a ghost). The only thing that throws a wrench in my theory is Wurt mentioning that the graves are indeed full of bones. So other than "gameplay reasons" I don't have a real theory as to why ghosts can't be resurrected with telltale hearts.

1 hour ago, TheDoughboy1917 said:

Pointless lore question I want to ask you, it's a dumb one but it's been on my mind for a while. The NPC ghosts, why can't they be resurrected via telltale hearts? Wortox mentions there being "no body to return to", but I don't exactly know what that means. I assumed it meant that there wasn't a skeleton in the grave (leave it to Maxwell to make graves and then just bury trinkets in them) and therefore they had no physical connection left on The Constant and thus couldn't be brought back (Similar to how Abigail has no remains on The Constant and is linked to the flower, therefore she can only be brought back as a ghost). The only thing that throws a wrench in my theory is Wurt mentioning that the graves are indeed full of bones. So other than "gameplay reasons" I don't have a real theory as to why ghosts can't be resurrected with telltale hearts.

i think is a plot hole like abigail xD

ghost were added before dst 

3 hours ago, TheDoughboy1917 said:

Survivors usually dont return to their bodies. Maybe with life giving amulet in singleplayer, but touch stone, telltale hearts nor meat effigy aren't their bodies. 

I could theorize, it's because survivors want to live/achieve something, so they try go back to live, but other ghosts may have no will and no reason to live. 

Not sure about Abby, maybe (beside bound with flower) her ghost is in some way incomplete and that's why she can't be rescurrected? Like without flower she cannot be summoned...

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

What happened between the conclusion of DS, and the Introduction scene of DST where Charlie frees Wilson & takes his place upon the throne as Shadow Queen?

Either whatever happens in newhome's story or if that's not canon (it's still debatable if it will be), my own headcanon is he spent like 3 minutes on the throne before Charlie came along and couldn't do much at all. There's no real way to gauge how long he spent there and if he's got nothing to show for his time on the throne whether it be works or quotes and Maxwell was persuaded by the throne to commit atrocities so you can assume the throne would have done the same to Wilson, then for all we know the ANR cinematic could've happened directly after the DS adventure mode credits.

4 hours ago, TheDoughboy1917 said:

The regular ghosts everyone stops themselves at the very last second from reviving them. So it's less that they can't with them and more that they don't want to, Wortox's quote is the one exception but given that Warly, Wurt, Wormwood and Walter were all added after them I'm gonna assume that it's just an inconsistency and the intention is that the survivors would prefer them not be revived, had the other survivor quotes been something more vague or pondering why they can't revive the ghosts then the likelihood that it's an inconsistency wouldn't be as high since then that'd be the only reason a survivor would've given but as it stands, that's what it seems to be (I'd provide quotes for this but given how much I can use I don't know which would be best, so I'll just direct you to check out the Ghost page on the wiki).

As for Abigail, her soul's bound to the flower. Every character ponders why they can't revive her and Wicker says that her spirit is bound to something already and Wortox says her soul's already been sucked, both of which implies that something caused her soul to no longer be bound to her body and is very likely bound to her flower and that's why she can't be revived, her soul can't be transferred or placed into a body as a result.

Wicker: "Her spirit is already bound to something in this world."
Wortox: ""This soul's already been sucked! Hyuyu!""

1 hour ago, MikoFanboy said:

I wonder, does the skin canon in the lore? 
the Forge and Victorian set is 90-100% canon
but what about the orther skin set? :v
and the Belongings skin too? 

I don't have any source for this but I believe all the skins are canon in the sense of 'that's how the survivors would look if xxxxx happened' like the Triumphants being what would happen if they got corrupted like Maxwell or the Survivors being what would happen if they stayed in the constant for an extremely long time, Wormwood's Hollow skin is if his gem fell into the caves and onto some mushrooms, Wortox's skins are all if he absorbed a certain mythological creature, Wurt's is if merm designs had a certain theme to them, etc. Belongings are another thing entirely, it's possible the objects could exist but they obviously wouldn't just be a reskinned version of an already existing object. An example would be the Ancient Cane and the Tragic Torch skins obviously aren't the torch and cane used by the Ancients themselves in the Metheus murals but their design is canon to those objects.

33 minutes ago, Scypham said:

(I'd provide quotes for this but given how much I can use I don't know which would be best, so I'll just direct you to check out the Ghost page on the wiki).

I checked out the ghost quotes on the wiki, I did find the Wigfrid also gave a similar to Wortox saying "The spirit cannot be returned" but then I took a look at Walter's quote, which seems to answer my question. "They seem pretty committed to their lifestyle. Or lack of one?" it seems like that the ghosts themselves purposely don't want to be revived, which I had never actually considered before. 

The ghosts in the constant may not actually be real people and could just be something that Maxwell was commanded to create, he even tells Wilson that before he arrived there wasn’t much there except him and “Them” he doesn’t even know what they want.. they just watch him from the shadows.

The name of the shadow that stares at players in DS/DST is the Watcher, the long slinky one that doesn’t attack or do anything but watch you.. So THAT could defiantly be tied to “Them”

If Maxwell did not create the ghosts then I have no idea.. as a Wendy main I had this wild theory that Abigail may not actually be real..

As in, Abigails ghost in the game is an illusion created by the constants powers and that outside of the constant, she would cease to be able to be summoned- This Theory went completely out the Water when Wendy got her actual animated Short, and Abigails ghost appears for a brief second at the very end in the real world outside of the Constant.

Conclusion: Your guess is just as good as mine at this point.

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The ghosts in the constant may not actually be real people and could just be something that Maxwell was commanded to create, he even tells Wilson that before he arrived there wasn’t much there except him and “Them” he doesn’t even know what they want.. they just watch him from the shadows.

When he says 'there wasn't much there except him and 'Them'' he's referring to the epilogue area you find him in, not the entire Constant.

50 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The ghosts in the constant may not actually be real people and could just be something that Maxwell was commanded to create.

That's not a bad theory but I don't think that's the case, especially since the playable characters all turn into ghosts when they die. I would say it's safe to say that ghosts are souls of previous unknown survivors.

43 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

maybe they have spend to much time death so they cant return to normality. Like empty souls or like dementia

That's actually a pretty good theory! They've been dead so long they've forgotten how to live.

Archived