Which is a better wood gatherer, Woodie or Maxwell?

Woodie (Werebeaver) or Maxwell (Shadow Loggers)?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick.

• Woodie's Werebeaver
    • Maxwell's Shadow Loggers

Gathering also includes picking what you chop. Werebeaver is definitely faster at chopping, especially if high on sweet foods, but he will also have to pick what he has chopped, and this always takes longer than chopping itself. Furthermore, with as much as beaver can chop in a single transformation, you're quite likely to have your fps at least halved once you're done due to all these logs and pinecones on the ground, which means you won't be doing multiple transformation. Also werebeaver can't make breaks or he will transform back rather quickly. Maxwell can make breaks during the process and also isn't limited to half of day of chopping given he picks stuff up promptly to avoid lag. (Breaks are needed in case of hound wave/giant attacks/overheating/freezing/hunger etc).

If you also add requirement to dig/gnaw stumps as gathering, Maxwell wins by an even wider margin.

What also makes Maxwell's win even more obvious is Woodie's workplace overview at any given time - cluttered with logs and pinecones waiting to be collected as compared to Maxwell's clean approach - trees are either present or gone. No stuff lying on the ground. No fps issues.

Maxwell. Nothing can beat his idle tree chopping and stump digging. You can fully clear out a whole forest and collect all the wood way quicker than Woodie ever could. 3 choppers and 1 digger, unbeatable. You could also go 2 choppers, 1 digger, and 1 miner to get some of the petrified trees during your collecting as well. 

If compared by the hard numbers in their logging abilities alone (cutting and digging), Max comes on top.

But if we compere all their stats, mechanics, abilities, I for one would go with Woodie: as human, he has 50% more chances to spawn Treeguards alongside 150 hp (thereby having the ability to better control when to get Living Logs and at a higher percentage, plus is less punished if making mistakes during fights), and as Werebeaver he doesn't spawn Treeguards during chopping, thus getting even higher control on this side of the mechanic (Max's puppets risk being nixed by guards if player doesn't react in time - and bulk player-base suffers from this quite a lot). Not to mention additional Were-forms provide broader fun utility - no matter what, having more in-game interactions as opposed to being idle (Max's way of gathering, coupled with 1/2 HP) cuts it better for one's entertainment I reckon.

6 hours ago, wons said:

mortals... it's obvious that wurt's merm guards are the best

This. Everyone is forgetting that there is a new competitor in town. Merms unlike pigs, can chop trees day and night, and you can have as many as your imagination wants you to. If they are the merm guard version,  with enough of them they will also make short work of treeguards as they spawn.

But yeah, if its just based on wood work and comparing between Woodie and Max,  its Maxwell by a long shot. 

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Max's puppets risk being nixed by guards if player doesn't react in time - and bulk player-base suffers from this quite a lot

If you don't overcommit to destroy a whole forest, for smaller chopping jobs Woodie and Lucy are a lot cheaper as well. Even though treeguards will spawn more often with Lucy, you can just ditch them, freeze them with a flingo or just pacify them at your own pace, while Max needs to be extra careful when handling the treeguards since the minions are pretty dumb and may try to resume chopping right in the face of the treeguards, and for every worker lost its nightmare fuel you waste.

26 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

..minions are pretty dumb and may try to resume chopping right in the face of the treeguards..

Another aspect to be mindful when dealing with Max's puppets is related to base-building that incorporates trees of any kind (and Antlion boulders or natural-spawned statues/Set Pieces) for aesthetic purposes - because those minions will automatically go "swiggity swooty I be comin' fo' dat booty" on any-and-all mentioned decorative trees/boulders/statues. I myself forgot how many times random passer-by carefree Maxwells and their Shadows f-ed up my additional base arrangements (perhaps future Max re-work could incorporate some puppet control option akin Abi's riling-up one so they don't go bananas all time on every tree/rock deposit in sight and re-aggro Treeguards you mentioned). Thus Woodie gets another +1 in my book.

50 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

freeze them with a flingo

ice staves works, is an atack but they forget the agression after the freeze effect ,they will be agressive when returning to choping again...

for me, if we compare all the ways of getting wood taking in count speed and resources needed; bearger>reanimated skeleton/s>maxwell>werebeaver>wurt>human woodie >wilson+pigs>weather pain

I did a test with my friend, I forget how many trees it was, but in the time it took Woodie to chop all the trees down Maxwell had chopped all the trees, shovelled all the stumps, grabbed all the logs, and put them in the nearby chests.

While my test may not be 100% accurate, there's no way for it to be inaccurate enough for it to not be clear that Maxwell is by far the superior logger.

56 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I did a test with my friend, I forget how many trees it was, but in the time it took Woodie to chop all the trees down Maxwell had chopped all the trees, shovelled all the stumps, grabbed all the logs, and put them in the nearby chests.

While my test may not be 100% accurate, there's no way for it to be inaccurate enough for it to not be clear that Maxwell is by far the superior logger.

and that without taking in count shadows that might appear for being transformed for long periods of time

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This. Everyone is forgetting that there is a new competitor in town. Merms unlike pigs, can chop trees day and night, and you can have as many as your imagination wants you to. If they are the merm guard version,  with enough of them they will also make short work of treeguards as they spawn.

But yeah, if its just based on wood work and comparing between Woodie and Max,  its Maxwell by a long shot. 

thank you for appreciating wurt's abbilities she's sort of underrated, people usually just ignore EVERYTHING nice that wurt can do better than other characters because she's vegan (which is not that hard to live with, trust me) 

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

why? we can have more character of each "role" but with diferent mechanics

i just want to each character have a different role so you can choose the character wich role you are mostly active. For example, i love gathering materials and i hate fighting, so Maxwell is great for me. In the otherside i preffer a "mirror" friend to play with it like Wolfgang or Wigfrid, so they can do what i cannot and i can do what they cannot. But when i get Woodie in team, i just say "pfff" bc it's basicly Maxwell 2 for me and that's uselles. Same thing is happening for wolfgang-wigfrid, wendy-webber, wx-woodie teams too.

Archived