Which is a better wood gatherer, Woodie or Maxwell?

Woodie (Werebeaver) or Maxwell (Shadow Loggers)?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick.

• Woodie's Werebeaver
    • Maxwell's Shadow Loggers

4 minutes ago, Slagger said:

i just want to each character have a different role so you can choose the character wich role you are mostly active. For example, i love gathering materials and i hate fighting, so Maxwell is great for me. In the otherside i preffer a "mirror" friend to play with it like Wolfgang or Wigfrid, so they can do what i cannot and i can do what they cannot. But when i get Woodie in team, i just say "pfff" bc it's basicly Maxwell 2 for me and that's uselles. Same thing is happening for wolfgang-wigfrid, wendy-webber, wx-woodie teams too.

i get your point but roles are limited, mechanics no. Also, in terms of having woodie and maxwell in the same team, you can still gathering resources meanwhile he explores the map or fight (is lovely how woodie can clean ruins). woodie isnt only chopping

and the most important thing, play whatever you like. Never hurts having more wood than is needed xD

Something I find important when comparing the 2 is the fact that treeguards slow down tree clearing in general. While Maxwell might be faster at chopping trees, any treeguard spawn whatsoever is going to significantly  slow that down, especially if multiple large ones spawn at once. And while getting living logs is okay, there comes a point where you want wood and only wood from tree farming, and treeguards spawning only serve to stop that for a short while. And as others have mentioned, the minions being killed off by treeguards doesn’t exactly strike well either.

Woodie on the other hand literally has the option to skip all of that and just chop trees with werebeaver all day. While it might not be as fast as Maxwell, the time you save by not needing to fight treeguards really adds up overtime. And if you need living logs, you can always whip out Lucy and get some at a pretty good rate. The only downside is you need to have some sort of sanity food if you really want to chop for a considerable amount of time due to the sanity loss, but overall that’s very manageable.

Maxil's point is very perceptive. Coupled with the fact that beaver synergizes with honey spice. two gnaws and he fells a tree. Even base woodie knocks down trees faster than maxwell does (in theory) but not often in legitimate practice. 

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

Something I find important when comparing the 2 is the fact that treeguards slow down tree clearing in general. While Maxwell might be faster at chopping trees, any treeguard spawn whatsoever is going to significantly  slow that down, especially if multiple large ones spawn at once. And while getting living logs is okay, there comes a point where you want wood and only wood from tree farming, and treeguards spawning only serve to stop that for a short while. And as others have mentioned, the minions being killed off by treeguards doesn’t exactly strike well either.

Woodie on the other hand literally has the option to skip all of that and just chop trees with werebeaver all day. While it might not be as fast as Maxwell, the time you save by not needing to fight treeguards really adds up overtime. And if you need living logs, you can always whip out Lucy and get some at a pretty good rate. The only downside is you need to have some sort of sanity food if you really want to chop for a considerable amount of time due to the sanity loss, but overall that’s very manageable.

This would've been true if it wasn't possible to build C-shaped statue (or fossils) wall next to tree cluster area, agroing and stockpiling treeguards within until you're done with the forest, then killing them all at once with catapults built between statues and forest.

Also, birchnut trees don't spawn guards during winter and naturally respawn due to world regrowth so lack of birchnuts to replant shouldn't be a problem.

BY default its maxwell, but Woodie has his other 2 transformations that make him more of a generalist, though if you eat food spiced with honey crystals (via Warly) and turn into werebeaver, Woodie becomes better as he can chop and mine everything with just 2 hits, and Maxwells shadows cant benefit from the effect

2 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

This would've been true if it wasn't possible to build C-shaped statue (or fossils) wall next to tree cluster area, agroing and stockpiling treeguards within until you're done with the forest, then killing them all at once with catapults built between statues and forest.

You still have to move the treeguards to the intersection whenever you get them, and depending on how far away the pen is it can take awhile. I do agree that it does speed it up a good amount, though.

2 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Also, birchnut trees don't spawn guards during winter and naturally respawn due to world regrowth so lack of birchnuts to replant shouldn't be a problem.

You can do this, but it will be really slow. Compared to all the other trees, birchnuts will only grow in spring, and slower then most other trees. In addition, you only have one biome where you can get a reasonable amount of birchnut trees with a chance to get a second, and you always get 2 forests minimum with consistent pinecone drops.

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i get your point but roles are limited, mechanics no. Also, in terms of having woodie and maxwell in the same team, you can still gathering resources meanwhile he explores the map or fight (is lovely how woodie can clean ruins). woodie isnt only chopping

and the most important thing, play whatever you like. Never hurts having more wood than is needed xD

Yep it's kinda right but I prefer klei add new mechanics to the game, so every characters could have unique roles in game. 

It's obviosuly Woodie when it comes to gathering wood. The idols are cheap and as long as you continuously cchop trees, you will remain in that state for quite a bit of time. Sure, Maxwell's shadow dudes are infinite, but Woodie gets wood a lot faster, and speed is everything for me.

one on one, maxwell would beat woodie in gathering boards for the base, because maxwell does not need to spend time chopping trees.All maxwell has to do is just pick up the logs. His shadows chop trees as fast as maxwell pick up logs. Treeguards is a valid concern, which is why late game log farm should have a mechanism for dealing with treeguards.

However, in a team situation, like 1 woodie+3 wilsons, might then beat a maxwell with 3 wilsons. Woodie can focus on the difficult task of chopping trees, leaving the picking of logs to wilsons, but maxwell cant do anything to help those wilsons in making more boards.

Maxwell can work multiple threads, but Woodie is more combat-savvy and flexible. Just take care of Woodie's hungry stomach. But when it comes to collecting wood, I think Maxwell, with his hands free, collects wood better. Woodie, after all, needs to hold Lucy's axe

Waxwell is great for when you don't want to waste health upfront and instead in accidentally, and for clearing without bounds. Remember, one shadow logger costs some sanity, an axe, and two nightmare fuel. That's a flint and twig and insanity for eventually free logging, although don't go anywhere near the area of tree farming or marble farming (the marble beans) if using miners. A single digger is a blessing, but maxwell is more of a gatherer in general, with the unique ability to be unable to stay insane for decent amounts of time.

Archived