Wigfrid is too strong

Wigfrid. She have Battle Spear with increased damage compared to usual spear, Battle Helm with higher defense than Football Helmet, she have higher damage reduction/output, she have vampirism (health/sanity regen when you punch your enemies), and after rework she got songs which provide different buffs.

But her only downside "She can only eat meat", which is absolutely not a problem (cuz u can use mammoths/beefalos/pigs in early game, spiders/hounds and bird cage in mid game, and bunnyman farm in late game).

This battle girl needs more drawbacks, don't you think?

Eh, personally I think it's fine. I'm on board with some nerfs ONLY if we do the same for Wendy, Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, and WX-78; those guys are certainly overpowered themselves. That said, I think it's really up to Klei what direction they want to take characters from here on, and frankly I feel as though their priority is to make them more enjoyable than anything else.

The buffs are all optional stuff. Lots of the ingredients can't be found until mid to late game, and it's not that powerful. I get people wanting to experience the game with more challenges, because I do too, but even playing Wes is not as exciting as imposing enviromental drawbacks. For me it's been fantastic trying out stuff like Lights Out, or personal time trials such as killing x amount of bosses in 1 year, or going back to one of the DLC's that I'm no longer used to playing.

In truth character drawbacks have always been something I just step aside and let become part and parcel very quickly. (With the exception of Wormwood's no food healing.) And it's a fine line before a drawback becomes just an annoyance. So I'm totally fine with no additional drawbacks, and keeping them as they are regardless of the optional buffs.

I’ve still effectively managed to die as Wigfrid by not finding a meat source/building a cooking pot soon enough.

And yes I know she spawns with 4 meat in her inventory, and also you can get meat from rabbits, birds, frogs, fishing, etc.. doesn’t matter-

Because ultimately what kills you in this game the most is Bad World Gen, and failure in finding what you need in time.

You can be a expert perfect veteran at this game who almost never fails at anything, but you get caught at a bad time and your as good as dead.

I don’t claim to be an expert by any means, but only meat diet shouldn’t be killing me.. but it does, And Maybe that’s my fault for not playing Wigfrid as much for a while.

But my point is that if I- Someone who knows a good bit about what they’re doing as Wigfrid still managed to Die... then her downside is more then good enough for a newbie player who hasn’t gotten any clue what they’re doing yet.

That Said- I’m pretty sure Klei has some tougher content planned that’s going to justify these more powerful characters... If I’ve learned anything during my time here on these forums it’s not to question Klei’s work... because they do listen to their fans, they strive to make their fans happy.. and- they always deliver excellent content updates no matter how big or small those updates are... they still dedicate their time to making sure we have a little something to enjoy each month.

Your judging a refreshed character on how well she plays when there’s still at the very least 7 more to be refreshed- and in addition to that.... there’s also the return of them updates that we have no idea what are leading up towards outside of the obvious “Return of Them”

Who is Them & Why are they Returning?

until we get that answered.. You can expect more RoT updates till its conclusion.

With her heart and sanity book, I can now tank Deerclops without getting insane AND without losing less than 20 HP for the whole battle. Insanely strong. Yes, Wigfrig could tank Deerclops even before, but now without needed to grub a Pierogi right after (or the Eye).

Okay so- I’m back.. I’ve played a lot of Wigfrid tonight.. and here are a few things that you should know-

First off if your playing by default settings it’s your own fault in thinking Wigfrid is OP.. I’m not saying this in a rude or mean way, let me explain-

I am playing on Xbox One with my

Surface World-

World Gen settings as follows- world Gen size:Big, Autumn Random, Winter Random, Spring Random, Summer Random, Starting Resources Highly Random, Disease: Slow all other settings: Default.

Cave World- World Gen Size- Big, World Gen Branches: Least, Disease: Slow, Starting Resources: Highly Random, All other settings: Default.

This information is important because ALONE Wigfrids Meat only diet may not seem like a large enough downside, but factor in the World Gen settings I had applied where my world is literally doing its best impersonation of a Katy perry song going from winter to summer to winter again.. (hot and then cold, yes and then no)

Then not only are you searching around desperately for meat sources, but your also trying to avoid freezing or overheating (sometimes both of them simultaneously at the same time)

I died a few times during these moments of seasonal unpreparedness, and then trying to deal with any type of threat (bosses, large hound waves, insanity) in addition to trying to deal with Random effects- It’s adds up.. and even the Mighty (and in your opinion OP) Wigfrid falls to death.

Wigfrids inspiration meter drops hella fast so honestly all of the content of her entire refresh will pretty much go almost completely unused the entire time your playing as her, but outside of that-

TL:DR- The Meat only diet when stacked with other world struggles CAN still be enough to kill you.

I really like what they added for her.  I think it adds to her character without distracting from who she was.  It makes her a great compliment to a team.

Overpowered?  Every character is overpowered.  I suspect they might do something after they're done with all the reworks which brings new weaknesses to everyone.

9 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Wigfrid. She have Battle Spear with increased damage compared to usual spear

Higher damage than a spear, But still outclassed by Literally every other weapon in the game. Notably Tentecle spikes and hambats

Battle Helm with higher defense than Football Helmet,

Nope, The DR is the same. The only difference is that Battle helms have higher durability

she have higher damage reduction/output, she have vampirism (health/sanity regen when you punch your enemies), and after rework she got songs which provide different buffs.

Yes, and those are interesting upsides compared to other characters

But her only downside "She can only eat meat", which is absolutely not a problem (cuz u can use mammoths/beefalos/pigs in early game, spiders/hounds and bird cage in mid game, and bunnyman farm in late game).

It's not just about not having a hard time finding food. It's about all the other stuff that She can't use due to not being able to eat meat. Admittedly this has been getting a bit less of a problem as more and more meat sources are added, but there's still a lot of stuff she can't use.

She can't eat Mushrooms for easy health/sanity management

she can't eat Butterfly wings, butter muffins, or Trail mix for early-game healing

She can't eat like, Half of Warly's foods, including glowberry mousse or his tempeture regulators.

Her only being able to eat meat takes quite a few options away from her.

No, Not really. She already has low hunger and sanity, and only eating meat is one of the best downsides in the game.

10 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Wigfrid. She have Battle Spear with increased damage compared to usual spear, Battle Helm with higher defense than Football Helmet, she have higher damage reduction/output, she have vampirism (health/sanity regen when you punch your enemies), and after rework she got songs which provide different buffs.

Actually, is it really bad? Perhaps when all the characters are reworked, she will no longer seem so powerful.

the songs arent her best perks. them only add fun situational skills so introducing a new negative effect might be annoying

and personally, the thing that buffed wigfrid the most was the leafy meat recipes, not the songs, since now she can eat a good sanity dish to fight fw

i think klei did a great work with this one and woodie. Wendy too but man, that numbers are to high xD. Anyways, i prefer a character that is a little strong but fun that a wilson with steroids like wx or wolf

edit: also, we dont know kleis plans to dst future. Maybe they are "buffing" the characters knowing that they will need this powers to fight new kind of enemies or reworking the old ones when all characters and RoT finishes

No, I don't. I think it's fine, if some characters are better than others in different fields. Having fighters, support characters, resource gatherers, mystics, mimes just adds layers to the cooperative game and will 100% make it a more fun experience.

When I play DST, I don't want to be ''challenged'' every step of the way - I want to have fun. And playing with something like the new Wigfrid is exactly that. Fun.

wigfrid has been overpowered for years now, she's pretty much easy mode. klei isnt too worried about balance considering how insane quite a few characters are (wortox, wickerbottom, wolfgang, wendy, wx) and few characters in dst have any downsides (Wigfrid's downside is only bad for super new players), very little that actually affect your playstyle past autumn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think she is fine. 

In a game like this you can't have the challenging focus be because the characters have so many draw backs, that way no one will be able to focus on the main survival aspect, especially newer players, who wouldn't be able to manage surviving, learning about the game, and dealing with character drawbacks. It's okay to have a character that's 'easy' especially if they made her that way in preparation for later updates, which add new difficulty to the world.

2 minutes ago, SnowdropPax said:

I think she is fine. 

In a game like this you can't have the challenging focus be because the characters have so many draw backs, that way no one will be able to focus on the main survival aspect, especially newer players, who wouldn't be able to manage surviving, learning about the game, and dealing with character drawbacks. It's okay to have a character that's 'easy' especially if they made her that way in preparation for later updates, which add new difficulty to the world.

if you're brand new you pick Wilson.

8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

if you're brand new you pick Wilson.

Wilson isn't a 'starter character'. And new players aren't going to specifically pick him. When you first start playing I'm pretty sure you play every character at least once, no matter how quickly you die. You do this to see who you like, and who you are good at playing. If you add a bunch of new difficulty to a character, no one is gonna want to play them. Wilson is easier to start off with, sure, but I'm pretty sure most brand new players, who know nothing about the game, aren't going to pick him because he doesn't really have anything to offer. When I first played the game, I had no knowledge about it, and I avoided Wilson because he was a basic character. I picked Wendy to start off with, and when my mom started playing her first choice was WX. So you can't really say that if you are brand new you pick Wilson, because it's not necessarily true.

3 minutes ago, SnowdropPax said:

Wilson isn't a 'starter character'.

err

are we playing the same game

As little as wolfgang or wickerbottom or wigfrid's downsides are, they're pretty rough when you're struggling with the basics.

Wilson has good stats and free winter resistance. You know, winter? The part where literally every starter player dies?

Archived