How do I stop being scared of going into caves?

When I first started the game in Singleplayer Don't Starve, I made a run where I played as Willow and her infinite Lighter. I ran around the caves, not caring if I died, exploring them with Willows infinite light source and honestly that really opened my eyes to what was down there and how to actually play in them.  I played for years without ever going into the caves before, and now I can't imagine runs where I don't ever go into the caves at all.

I would probably suggest playing as Woodie, make a bunch of idols for whatever creature you are most comfortable playing as and just rush into the caves after getting a bunch of monster meat and just...running around. Try to find the ruins maybe, don't fight anything and just explore really.

A good light source really helps, you have to see what's ahead of you in order not to be afraid. In most cases caves themselves are more benign than the surface. Just make sure you go there with a miner's hat or make a lantern when you get there - tip: you can make an alchemy engine and mini base to the cave enterence of your choosing

Instead of hound waves, you get depth worms waves when you're in the caves, which can be scary. Most of the times you can just out run them and they stop following you. Sometimes, however, they stay hanging out in those narrow passages, where in my experience they are the most dangerous, since I end up forgetting they are there and get bit trying to go through. 

Other than that caves are not as scary as they look, and can be pretty cozy. 

hi, i was super scared of caves too and played the game for months without ever opening a single sinkhole

i would reccommend starting a new world where you turn off all of the mobs(including nightmare fissures) and max the lightbulbs and mushtrees. that way you can get accustomed to the sounds and darkness without having to worry about being attacked and you have many 'safe' spots where there is plenty of light(in mush biomes the light is perpetual)

as you get more comfortable you can make new worlds with (some) mobs turned on 'less' and reduce the lights/mushtrees OR just keep them like they are. since you arent playing in caves as-is then it isn't a concern you are not getting the loot since you weren't getting it anyway

You don't.

Ok no.

I had the same problem, but still I got the chills in that biome with the big blue mushrooms. I tend to go with my friends or try to have the best weapons and equipment... or use Wortox with some souls in case that you are in troubles and need to leave a bad situation with monkeys. Also trying to befriend bunnyman or rock lobsters to help you with anything that hide in that place. A little advice: If those worms are following you, do not try to go to the surface, when I used that entrance again, they were there waiting for my, and I obviously died... I don't know if that feature was removed. Try to go down in the way that you feel more comfortable, you can even turn on the godmode to explore the caves until you feel comfortable. I think that Klei did a pretty good job with the caves for the fact that they capture the terrifying essence of that place pretty well.

I learned caves stuff by living into them. I started making a small base inside caves, right by the exit that had more natural light, and call it home. If stuff gets weird you can always quickly go upstairs.

You will slowly start to explore your surroundings and get to know the caves stuff, learn how to cope with the long winter darkness, and find solutions (or not) to the insanity. As mentioned above by CameoAppearance, rock lobsters can be your friends. Also having a bunnymen village nearby, so long you are not wortox or webber, can be a lot of help with food, and dealing with depth worms.

At some point you will reach the ruins, my main advice is: don't rush it. Explore them in different stages, whenever you feel you are not safe anymore, or getting low on hunger, health, or whatever, just go back the way you came. Prepare for whatever you noticed you were lacking on your previous trip, and go again. Rinse and repeat, as many times as you want.

Mapping and clearing the whole ruins in one trip is like the super final stage of being very comfortable at the caves, darkness and insanity. Don't rush that, nobody is timing you. I am pretty comfortable around ruins already, have cleared them alone many times, and still whenever I notice things are not going as expected I just leave, to come back later.

1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

Learn to love rock lobsters. Most of my depth worm problems have been solved by bringing along some rock lobsters, although I don't know if they can help as much with the splumonkeys. 

They are not bad since you can relocate them to live in the monkey village but dont expect a lot of help xD. For that is better to repair clockworks and make a huge cleaning

As @ShadowDuelist said above: just open a sinkhole and make a small base. there are always some light bulbs and natural light to make your life easier. place farms, plant flowers (in light) add a few bee boxes, maybe transplant some birch trees. make the place feel pretty and comfortable. then start exploring your surroundings a little. hopefully you won't be too far from a bunny village and can let the bunnies deal with any depth worms early on if you find them overwhelming.

The caves are wonderful, I actually prefer living there to living above ground. well, I mean, I live in the ruins mostly but you get the idea.

6 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

Instead of hound waves, you get depth worms waves when you're in the caves, which can be scary. Most of the times you can just out run them and they stop following you. Sometimes, however, they stay hanging out in those narrow passages, where in my experience they are the most dangerous, since I end up forgetting they are there and get bit trying to go through. 

Other than that caves are not as scary as they look, and can be pretty cozy. 

My biggest concern are depth worms. I'm past day 100 in my world and not sure how I'll handle them when I'm just starting to explore the caves. I read toothtraps are ineffective and bee mines help. Also running will probably be what I'd do in most cases.

Archived