How do I stop being scared of going into caves?

22 minutes ago, hoppin mandrake said:

My biggest concern are depth worms. I'm past day 100 in my world and not sure how I'll handle them when I'm just starting to explore the caves. I read toothtraps are ineffective and bee mines help. Also running will probably be what I'd do in most cases.

worms are easier than hounds, just are terryfing because of 75 damage...

try to practise with 1 to get the patter and when you can deal with 1 try with 2 or 3. They are so slow so make them be together so they always atack at the same time and fight them like they are 1, if they desynchronize their atacks walk again until they follow you together and repeat 

always make sure that they are so together to prevent being hit multiple times. Im sure in youtube will be videos showcasing it with a better explanation xD

while toothtraps are not the most effective way to deal with depth worms, with a big enough field of them you can definitely take them out while you run in circles. i have a big field separating me from the monkey village and occasionally a depth worm gets caught up and ends up dying even when I stand by and watch.

Caves have their own unique challenges but in general aren't more dangerous than the surface.  You'll probably want to make sure you have a lantern (or two, or a lantern and a miner hat), armor, solid weapon (tentacle spike or better) and some healing supplies before you head down there.

One thing that will make your life much easier is knowing how to use mushrooms as there are several mushroom forests in the caves and while they follow the same day/night cycle as the surface you are moving through the dark anyway.

Raw greencap = -50 sanity

Cooked greencap = +15 sanity, -1 health

Raw bluecap = +20 health, +12.5 hunger, -15 sanity

Cooked bluecap = -3 health, 10 sanity

With proper use of green and bluecaps you can very easily manage your health and sanity underground.  The sound effects are a lot scarier than the actual enemies.

1 hour ago, hoppin mandrake said:

My biggest concern are depth worms. I'm past day 100 in my world and not sure how I'll handle them when I'm just starting to explore the caves. I read toothtraps are ineffective and bee mines help. Also running will probably be what I'd do in most cases.

I remember reading this about bee mines being effective, but I've never used them or seen them used. What I usually see from other people and myself is really just running from them. If you want the loot, maybe run until they thin out the herd so you can take them one or two at a time, by getting them to synchronize their moves. More than that is possible, but at 4 or 5 at a time their synchrony starts falling apart.

They are not super hard to kite. Do consider searching some youtube videos to take a look beforehand.

You also gotta have good light to fight them. Either moggles, miner hat, dropping a lantern on the ground, or natural light in the caves. Sometimes you will drop the lantern on the ground and then find yourself unable to take it back in the chaos, so usually carry another source of light on you so you can run away safely. You might prefer your lighting for the fight to be miner hat or moggles, so carry chest armor. I see a lot of people dropping their backpack on the ground to wear the chest armor, and then going back for it only after the fight. This can get slightly tricky just because you might end up forgetting important items inside the dropped backpack, like healing and such. However, this might still be safer overall than having to fight with a lantern on the ground as your only, unmoving light.

When in doubt, run and don't worry about it. They will just forget you and burry themselves on the ground to disguise as glow berries. Do worry, however, if they stay hanging around on those narrow hallways. I think that they can't burry themselves on turf-less gound, and will therefore remain aggressive and attack you when you come near.

1 hour ago, sinisterrkid said:

but at 4 or 5 at a time their synchrony starts falling apart.

what i do to prevent this as much is letting them push me instead of walking to other direction when they are underground and kite when they come back to the surface, they dont do damage until they do they bite animation so with a cane you can avoid the damage and keeping them together

i keep a circle of pigmen houses near my base and just run over there. about 3 pigs for 1 worm is fine though you never want to have less than 5 houses since they don't always react quickly. bunnies are certainly better but you have to wait for them to go away before you can collect the drops

Caves are just like surface area - separated into biomes.  If you're on PC just go in god mode with creative and play around, get to know what the lay of the land is.  If you aren't on PC, pick Wendy or Willow since they have good aggro control and smash some pig houses to get an alchemy engine asap.  Then go down and just explore.  You can live on blue mushrooms and carrots well enough as you run around.

Once you're familiar with the biomes it should be super easy to find your way around and know what's safe and what isn't.

The hound attacks are replaced with depth worms, and honestly they are easier then hound waves of the same level.  No elemental properties to worry about, and its easy to get their attacks to sync for kiting multiple of them at once.  They also cap out at like 5 per player which really isn't too much to handle if you can focus on just them.

In my worlds - if I play passed the first 2 years - I generally cave base 90% of the time just building and having fun.  If I go to the surface its usually for some specific reason, like clearing bee queen / dfly / deerclops / walrus.  Beyond that I'm just cave life.

5 hours ago, hoppin mandrake said:

If you can find the rock lobsters, you are pretty much good. They are Immortal beings that can help protect you from anything

Archived