Do you want Shipwrecked and Hamlet characters in DST

Do you want Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters in DST  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want all Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters in DST?

2. 2. Would you want them to be refreshed?

3. 3. Do you want specific characters?

I already got my favorite character from shipwrecked, Warly. (He may not be powerful until late game but that porta Crock-Pot is just soooooo fun)

But if I had to choose another, it would have to be either Woodlegs for the challenge or Wagstaff for lore purposes (I need to see Wx78s reaction)

Here’s the thing- these characters are all Klei official characters, they are all equally trapped inside the Constant from a lore perspective.

But more importantly from a Gamers Perspective- These characters are already established parts of the franchise.. they already have people who actually want to actively play as them already.

Which no offense to Klei, but is more then I can say for Brand New Characters, Because BNC’s always stand the risk of being generally disliked, where as already established characters.. already have people waiting to play as them.

With the compendium existing giving character descriptions, favorite food stuffs, and each rework getting new belongings, skin sets and a cool animated short- I would love for them ALL to eventually end up in the game at some point.

But in the end that decision isn’t up to any of us fans to make, that’s entirely up to Klei on rather or not they want to bring Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff into DST.

I hope they ALL make it in someday, and they all get cool reworks that make playing each character unique and fun.

As good as having more SW/Hamlet characters come to DST sounds, the fact that Walter was introduced with his own version of Wheeler's air horn might mean that she and the others most likely won't make it into DST, unless fundementally reworked. 

Yea, I'd appreciate more charecters reworked from singleplayer into multiplayer, especially there's room for at least 1 more SW and 1 more Hamlet character in DST. I personally wouldn't want new original characters filling the roles of old ones; I like them when new characters are original concepts like everybody's favorite mermgirl. In any case I'm fine either way as I got my fave, Warly in the game and together with wormwood they are awesome additions to the game- I believe good reworks can make more single player characters feel really natural in DST too.

To your last question I picked Warbucks but I wish it allowed for multiple answers. In a decending order I'd want:

Warbucks: Great and mistreated character, would fit great to DST environment, bringing more to ruins/ocean adventures

Walani: Perfect fit for return of them.

Wilbur: If they bring a new constant creature character, he's gotta be it, expanding spelumonkeys and all.

Wagstaff: Would appreciate more role although he clashes a bit too much with the likes of winona.

Wilba: Would be a nice rivalry between her and Wurt, could further civilize and sophisticate pigmen.

Woodlegs:Fitting within the Return of them Theme, he can be specialized in boat warfare.

Wheeler: I feel like we really don't need her abilities in dst. I like Walter as an alternative without fundementally changing and reworking her.

Man I just want Warbucks, give me that and I'd be content. As a kid I was in love with the idea of an old british big game hunter like Van Pelt or Allan Quatermaine, and seeing something like that in Hamlet was super cool. I'm a firm believer you can like something without endorsing what it represents, and I feel no different about the situation with Warbucks personally; I just like him because I think he's cool even if others disagree with my sentiments, nothing more and nothing less.

Hmmm...

dstcivday42springhassprung.png.aa6e27134970350658bc257a21664038.pngdstcivday152takeyourpick.png.763d8452035c77cf830eea1b3ced329c.pngdstcivday187awww.png.aba49e946dd9ef25b3395602fc18c9a5.png

dstcivday215-2wolfspirits.png.52b7c61a6836f861ab57503cea7fcfca.png

I wonder...

(The above pictures are all from my "March of Civilization" storyline, which I have attempted multiple times, and which came out to like Day 400-and-change on its most successful run before some kind of awful glitch happened.  If you see stuff here you don't recognise it's from mods--mainly stuff like the old version of "Thirst", Spring Festival, and Pickle It!)

Seriously though I'm all for that idea and always have been--if done well.  The one thing that poll is missing is a _neutral_ option on the "Would you want them reworked?" question.  Well, I'm thinking like:  "Yes, but only if done moderately" or "Neutral--I'll have to see how a potential rework actually turns out before I know if I like it or not". 

I mean, we've seen reworks of MANY different levels of complexity and quality, and everybody has their own opinions about them. 

Spoiler

Favourite bigger change: Wendy 
She still pretty much plays _like Wendy_, it's just that Abigail is no longer so much of an only kinda-sorta useful dunce.  The pipspooks and flower-potion stuff fit her overall tone, too, so...new actual content was added WITHOUT taking anything away.  A prime example of How To Do This Right, in my opinion.

Favourite small tweak:  Willow
After having given her her fire immunity back earlier (pre-official-rework), taking away her insanity-freezing ALMOST put her back to her old self that made her my original main in regular DS. Her lighter isn't infinite and we have Bernie, but overall she FEELS close enough to original Willow that I can drop that mod I was using, forever.

LEAST favourite small tweak:  Warly
(who, interestingly for this poll, IS a Shipwrecked character)  Basically they made my most unliked things about him even MORE so!  He was already so picky that I'd rather just let him die and start over as another character.  (Yeah, I could make the archway thing, but he'd be starving and bugging me the whole time I was finding the ingredients for it, and....meh.  Charlie, give a girl a hand come nightfall?  Literally?  Thanks.)  Having to "babysit" ANY character to that level bugs me THAT.  MUCH, and now he can't even eat single ingredients AT ALL?  What?!  Also, what was the point of making him no longer start with his chef pouch _and_ making it take more materials to make?
He's difficult in the way I find ANNOYING AS HELL, not an _interesting_ challenge.  Sorry, Warly, but I'm never playing you.

Least favourite big fat honkin'* change:  Woodie
His rework was silly and goofy, broke his original "sympathetic werethingie who can't help it" tone, didn't really answer ANY of the things a lot of people were _actually asking for_ (all _I_ wanted, personally was the non-wimpy werebeaver back!) and COMPLETELY wasted all its potential for lore and character background.  I seriously have not even woven the _vignette_ from his rework short yet (and that means something, since I likes me some vignettes)--even the freaking art style looks too cheerful and wrong!  Now Lucy's warning kind of...don't really mean much, and the danger/problem aspect of his transforming has been taken away.

*"Honkin'" here might also be a pun, since, ya know, geese "honk".  :wink:

Like I said, there's a lot to pick from, so a "Yes but in moderation" or a "We'll have to wait and see" option on the Rework part of the poll would be useful.  I voted "no" this time around, but only because I had to put SOMEthing in order to vote at all.

...Notorious

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Yea, I'd appreciate more charecters reworked from singleplayer into multiplayer, especially there's room for at least 1 more SW and 1 more Hamlet character in DST. I personally wouldn't want new original characters filling the roles of old ones; I like them when new characters are original concepts like everybody's favorite mermgirl. In any case I'm fine either way as I got my fave, Warly in the game and together with wormwood they are awesome additions to the game- I believe good reworks can make more single player characters feel really natural in DST too.

To your last question I picked Warbucks but I wish it allowed for multiple answers. In a decending order I'd want:

Warbucks: Great and mistreated character, would fit great to DST environment, bringing more to ruins/ocean adventures

Walani: Perfect fit for return of them.

Wilbur: If they bring a new constant creature character, he's gotta be it, expanding spelumonkeys and all.

Wagstaff: Would appreciate more role although he clashes a bit too much with the likes of winona.

Wilba: Would be a nice rivalry between her and Wurt, could further civilize and sophisticate pigmen.

Woodlegs:Fitting within the Return of them Theme, he can be specialized in boat warfare.

Wheeler: I feel like we really don't need her abilities in dst. I like Walter as an alternative without fundementally changing and reworking her.

It does allow for multiple now, and I originally intended it to do so

I always feel kinda bad chiming in on this topic, because I was lucky enough to have the one singleplayer DLC character that I loved officially added into the game, and I remember the feeling of really wanting him. It feels selfish to say that I don't want any more of them added but I'll at least state my reasoning.

To me, I look for characters whose playstyle fit within the realm of DST and is a playstyle not already represented. For example, I think Wagstaff is a really cool character, but the upside of building gadgets already belongs to Winona. By that same token Walter and Wheeler are similar enough, all that is missing is Wheeler's little dodge slide thing, which isn't enough to warrant adding a whole character around it. As for the Shipwrecked crew, Wilbur has no place in DST. Woodlegs and Walani would fit a seafarer playstyle that is not yet represented, but they each have issues. Woodlegs would be tough since living pretty exclusively on the water would be boring no matter how much content is added in RoT. Walani I feel could be pretty OP since the boss fights on the water seem to be more centered around killing the boat than killing the player. Having a character on a surfboard would essentially be a character all about cheesing ocean boss fights, which just seems like bad design. 

You know what the problem is... If the characters from these DLC will also be in DST, then the solo project will lose some of its uniqueness. I don't mind all these characters appearing in lore and bumping into each other, but it's not worth adding them as playable characters in DST.
I've been waiting for Wagstaff in DST for a long time. I hope that it will be added there for many important reasons. But it seems to me that this character will be used for other purposes. It's not as ordinary as you think. It has a very strange fate and a very strange problem with distortions. I don't know what happened to it, but it was probably damaged by moving through a self-made portal. I remember that it was said that the inventor's portal was faulty, so perhaps this also affected it. Having also studied all of Wagstaff's quotes, I understand that his main goal is a nightmare throne. So, we can expect the overthrow of the reign or something large-scale specifically with it.
P.S. I also think that new characters are no longer required for DST. It is better to focus on the disclosure of the lore and other interesting points.

1 hour ago, Charlie Dark said:

*ahem* Excuse you! It's Warbucks, the affluent explorer!!!

I'd like it back, too. And why couldn't it just be improved as a game character and slightly change the lore, if it strained the developers.:wilson_cry:
Although on the other hand, we now have an interesting character Wheeler and not very interesting character Wormwood.

I'd really like Wilba. I always thought a pig character that could become a werepig should be a given in Don't Starve and Hamlet finally provided.  Yeah yeah ''But Woodie!'' but there's other characters that share similar roles and concepts to them, especially the earlier characters and I like how her wereform emphasizes speed and passive auto regen over Mooses slow tanky worse AOE than abigail style.  It would also add to the monster characters, we'd basically only be missing a bunnyman(or you could just give Wilba a bunnyman skin like Webber and the batilisk skin).

Warbucks would be nice to, but only because I don't think it's fair he got shoveled out of the game but that's an entirely different discussion there.

DST already has a rather bloated cast of characters, and bringing over more characters wouldn't really help that situation. You have characters that have perks similar to the ones not in DST, so you aren't missing out much. I think if they should add one more character, make it Woodlegs so we can have a character that's linked to the whole sailing system they've been building up now. That's really the only thing I can think of right now that isn't covered by other characters, and I am sort of surprised none of the new characters has had anything for boats, since it's the main feature of all these updates basically. I understand that a lot of people like the DS characters, and would love to have them in DST, but there does come a point where you can have too many characters, and I feel DST is already sitting extremely close to that limit.

I don't think DST is ever going to have too many characters. New characters are their best source of income as well, because you can sell skins with new characters. I mean if you put a gun to my head and asked me ''New characters, or new content?'', I'd totally pick new content but...I mean it'd still be nice if they were ported imo. It would be rather harmless and Klei could profit off of it. I also wouldn't mind some characters sharing similar roles with others, I like Wolfgangs perk because I love higher damage but I just really think Wolfgang is bad from an aesthetic perspective, if they added another character like him but had looks I like I'd be happy even if it bloated the character pool.

But yeah I would rather them prioritize new content over new characters, and highly prioritize reworking some of the older characters to adding in new ones that don't even have meaningful perks(sorry Walani).

Archived