Do you want Shipwrecked and Hamlet characters in DST

Do you want Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters in DST  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want all Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters in DST?

2. 2. Would you want them to be refreshed?

3. 3. Do you want specific characters?

5 hours ago, cropo said:

His most interesting and lore-relevant quotes are actually out of Hamlet and in Shipwrecked and RoG, he was also given for free to all DS players so you don't even need Hamlet to play him(I don't even think you need RoG actually).

You don’t, he’s a free character that was added to the original game.. Wagstaffs Gadgets don’t seem very Team Friendly though (at least not the ones I’ve crafted)

I don’t play him too much though because I’m about that blind in real-life without my glasses on so I don’t want to spend my time playing the game with my actual glasses on.. feeling like I’m not wearing them.

Now having said that- If your eyes are that bad in real life hilariously you can take off your glasses.. and Wagstaffs blurry field of vision now spans your entire TV Screen.

One of Wagstaffs Unique to ONLY HIM craftable items (The Electrical Doodad) found its way into DST... and Anyone can now craft it, So I do find that bit interesting.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

One of Wagstaffs Unique to ONLY HIM craftable items (The Electrical Doodad) found its way into DST... and Anyone can now craft it, So I do find that bit interesting.

Haven’t the electrical doodads been in the game since RoG?

Just now, Paxtonnnn said:

Haven’t the electrical doodads been in the game since RoG?

Not on Xbox I don’t think... I forget what the ingredients required to make Alchemy Engine actually is but I think it’s like a few gold and 4 cutstone.

RoG is also a default part of the Console game.. it can’t be purchased separately.

You can toggle RoG content, Shipwrecked Content, or Hamlet content.. but you can’t have them all active at once. 

In DST- The Alchemy Engine crafting Recipe requires Electrical Doodads, but you don’t use them in crafting it for Solo DS.

Which leads me to believe that Wagstaff and his exclusive Electrical Doodad crafts, were Always intended to be part of DST, he just hasn’t found his way into the cast yet.

2 minutes ago, gaymime said:

doodads are 100% in solo. i don't have hamlet and i use doodads XD of course i didn't have the game before rog so i couldn't confirm or deny if it existed before then

I literally just said that console players can not EVER buy the game without RoG content already as a core part of the default experience. 

However- Only Wagstaff can craft Electrical Doodads, And Wagstaff isn’t from Hamlet.. he’s a default part of the game.

(this gets confusing because Wagstaff wasn’t released on consoles until the same day Hamlet dropped) BUT- PC Players have had Wagstaff for Awhile now rather they did or did not purchase Hamlet.

Wagstaff is the only one who can craft Electrical Doodads.. 

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Wagstaff

When & how this changed- I am uncertain I just know that it feels odd as heck for Wagstaff to be the only one with the knowledge of crafting them in Solo DS, and then EVERYONE knows how to craft them in DST.

Feels like there’s some lore yet to be explored there.. but I dunno.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

However- Only Wagstaff can craft Electrical Doodads, And Wagstaff isn’t from Hamlet.. he’s a default part of the game

I was wondering what the ever loving heck gave that idea. Had to look at the wiki for a few moments to understand, because I definitely used electrical doodads in DS before Wagstaff ever existed.

I think I understand it though.

- OG DS has no electrical doodads. They aren't needed, as the Alchemy engine use gold and all the other items using them didn't exist until RoG.
- RoG came out, introducing electrical doodads and a new Alchemy engine recipe, plus a bunch of new items using them.
- DST came out
- Shipwrecked came out
- Hamlet came out, and alongside it, Wagstaff
- Wagstaff's special items require electrical doodads to craft.
- Wagstaff was given to everyone with DS, regardless of whether or not they had any DLC
- This causes and issue with DS owners with no DLCs, as for them, electrical doodads do not exist.
- The solution: Electrical doodads are added to base DS, but no DLC items are added and updating the Alchemy Engine as the only non-Wagstaff item to use them would be pointless. So therefore, In base, no-DLC DS, electrical doodads are retroactively added as a Wagstaff exclusive item, but only for people who had no DLCs.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I literally just said that console players can not EVER buy the game without RoG content already as a core part of the default experience. 

However- Only Wagstaff can craft Electrical Doodads, And Wagstaff isn’t from Hamlet.. he’s a default part of the game.

(this gets confusing because Wagstaff wasn’t released on consoles until the same day Hamlet dropped) BUT- PC Players have had Wagstaff for Awhile now rather they did or did not purchase Hamlet.

Wagstaff is the only one who can craft Electrical Doodads.. 

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Wagstaff

When & how this changed- I am uncertain I just know that it feels odd as heck for Wagstaff to be the only one with the knowledge of crafting them in Solo DS, and then EVERYONE knows how to craft them in DST.

Feels like there’s some lore yet to be explored there.. but I dunno.

catcoons puke them so are them the true inventors???

On 9/5/2020 at 4:26 PM, AlternateMew said:

ShopCat has snipped this Comment.

^^^ What you just said, But the majority of my playtime in Solo DS is spent in Adventures Mode or the DLCs- Which means by default RoG is OFF, and that also means Wagstaff is the only one who knows how to invent Doodads. (his portrait even shows him with it in his hand..)

image.thumb.jpg.aa574fbe6d3bf442203fdc63a34019c3.jpg

So then....

How did something that was once a Wagstaff exclusive crafting tab item become common knowledge for all the other survivors? 

I feel like Wagstaff should be in DST in some form or another- rather he’s playable or not.. I need to know how his own inventions ended up becoming common knowledge for every other character. 

Outside of Wagstaff though- I really really REALLY want Walani.. and I do not care one bit that people would cry she’s broken and OP against At Sea Bosses... if At Sea Bosses really are that important to you all- then fine give the bosses all a special attack that instantly destroys Walani’s Surfboard if she gets within its AoE..

But lets just be 100% real here, It would be an Injustice to Walani for DST to finally have an explorable, sailable Sea and She never gets added to the game. :( </3

0B1D9AF0-DC15-4F44-8668-D4BF84F64983.png.61bb9b5e072d081d853fbfb05d5f131d.png

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

the majority of my playtime in Solo DS is spent in Adventures Mode or the DLCs- Which means by default RoG is OFF, and that also means Wagstaff is the only one who knows how to invent Doodads. (his portrait even shows him with it in his hand..)

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Sea_Lab
Shipwrecked item that uses Doodads. Existed before Wagstaff did.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Lamp_Post
Hamlet item the uses doodads. Is not Wagstaff exclusive.

All three DLCs include doodads, because they all use them, unlike base DS. All survivors, not just Wagstaff, could craft electrical doodads the moment RoG was added and became a staple included with the other two DLCs regardless of what combination of them you have or don't have.

The only reason they're Wagstaff exclusive with no DLCs is gameplay reasons, not lore reasons. Wagstaff is the only one who needs them in base DS. There were two options the devs could have taken. 1) Change Wagstaff's crafting recipes to not use doodads in DS or 2) Add doodads to Wagstaff's craftables as basically a failsafe against causing uncraftable items when played without DLCs.

Both equally viable options, and they chose the latter. Unlike Wilson, Willow, Wolfgang, Wendy, WX-78, Wickerbottom, Woodie, and Wes, who were in the game on release, Wagstaff was added much later than everyone else. As in, he literally didn't exist until the time of Hamlet. Even Maxwell as a playable character far pre-dated him. So Wagstaff was designed with knowledge of the existing and in-development DLCs. So it's not that electrical doodads are Wagstaff's item. They're just an item that other survivors had zero use for in a world without the content brought by DLCs.

I personally don't feel like Doodads have any important lore bits about them. They're simply an item added to make certain structures cost more to build, and to make them a tier above the science tier.

It's far more likely that Wilson happened to invent them after years of trial and error. Wilson has been in the constant probably far longer than most other characters, no matter how bad at science he is he basically had to learn this crap in order to survive. There's a saying that if you let a Monkey pound on a typewriter for an infinite amount of time, eventually it will write out the entire script of Hamlet through sheer coincidence of the notes it hits...even if it takes trillions upon trillions of years.  Funny enough the DLC Wagstaff was included in is literally called Hamlet.

Wagstaff probably was able to immediately understand it as an item. Unfortunately he only says ''A crystal diode made of gold and rocks, I have many uses for this!''. He doesn't decisively state that he's it's creator or that someone else was, but at the very least he could easily see it and utilize it's capabilities BETTER than other characters can which I think is a better explanation.

Another thing to note is that an alchemy engine is required to make electrical doodads, Wagstaffs quote for the alchemy engine is ''Even alchemy operates differently here''. I think it's safe to say he didn't invent the alchemy engine, so it doesn't make sense that something he invented would be exclusive to the alchemy engine....I don't think he originally invented them, he just improved on their concept and applied them to better machines.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Despair said:

The blurry effect is awful and in RoG the seasons are not a joke.

hmmm yes the fact that wagstaff needs glasses and ROG has seasons clearly must determine that every single thing that wagstaff can do was 100% meant to be done in hamlet worlds and nowhere else 

I only want Walani, everyone else I don’t really need.. but I understand (and this poll clearly shows) that there are many people who DO want to see the others..

And honestly? I hope we get them all..

I am not worried that the game would feel too cluttered- who cares if they share similar abilities to another character??

(As long as they have some degree of uniqueness it’s fine!) 

I can say this.. Because I play SMITE a game with over 100+ playable characters- It is inevitable that they will start sharing some similarities at some point or another... Going by the logic of OH Woodies the new Water Scout we don’t need Walani/Woodlegs, or Walter is a better version of Wheeler we don’t need Her.. Then Going by that logic- should Smite have ever added any other healing gods beyond Aphrodite or Cupid?

Hopefully this firmly gets my point across.. but if it doesn’t, There are people who main and are eagerly awaiting Walani,Wilbur,Woodlegs,Wheeler,Wilba, & Wagstaff to become playable Within DST...

Warly & Wormwood mains would probably be upset if instead of them making the cut, we instead got Wilbur & Wilba. So please don’t be biased just because you’ve already got your main in DST, there are other people who’s main is NOT in the game yet, & just thinking that makes me very sad :( 

My three most played characters in order- Wendy, Wigfrid, Walani

Walani, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff. They each have their dedicated group of players who actually main playing as them, there is “potential” profit to be made off adding them, because People who main them will more then most likely also be willing to buy their skins & belongings.

Warly & Warly Chef Skin?? ;) 

4 hours ago, Lbphero said:

hmmm yes the fact that wagstaff needs glasses and ROG has seasons clearly must determine that every single thing that wagstaff can do was 100% meant to be done in hamlet worlds and nowhere else 

Why add stuff that i never said? Wagstaff was released and promoted with Hamlet, his most interesting quotes are for Hamlet and his kit is clearly more useful in a world where you don't need head protection for most seasons.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Despair said:

Why add stuff that i never said? Wagstaff was released and promoted with Hamlet, his most interesting quotes are for Hamlet and his kit is clearly more useful in a world where you don't need head protection for most seasons.

what i said was hyperbole of what you said. Wagstaff was indeed released and promoted with hamlet (i should note here that his actual clip in the hamlet trailer was in ROG), but his actual toolkit fits just as well in really any world, you only need head protection in rainy seasons and all worlds have those. 

Spectoggles - all worlds have suspicious objects that can uncover useful stuff

Infroggles - all worlds have darkness to be avoided, you could arguably say that its more useful in ROG because of long nights in winter

Visor - all worlds have mobs that would be better off fought with armor

Fryfocals - This arguably fits better in a place like shipwrecked, where fighting monkeys with ranged weaponry is much easier than chasing them all day.

Telebrella/Telipad - extremely useful in both shipwrecked and hamlet, still useful in ROG 

Thumper - invaluable in all worlds due to intense treeage 

I'd be inclined to believe that wagstaff was originally supposed to be hamlet exclusive as a concept, but was rather quickly decided to be included in the base game, leading to his actual toolkit being as multi-purpose as it ended up being. 

Walani
Walani
Walani

She would be absolutely perfect as a RoT-oriented character, allowing players to explore and interact with RoT content. She'll need a rework like Warly to make her not ass, but I think it'd be a much better fit over Woodlegs. Imo, a surfer chick clashes less with the DST theme than a pirate captain.

Also she has a surprising amount of lore in her quotes which would be super interested to see expanded upon (the most prominent example is her being a pirate but retiring to a surfer life.)

Edit: I made an entire thread about this btw

53 minutes ago, Canis said:

Walani
She would be absolutely perfect as a RoT-oriented character, allowing players to explore and interact with RoT content. She'll need a rework like Warly to make her not ass, but I think it'd be a much better fit over Woodlegs. Imo, a surfer chick clashes less with the DST theme than a pirate captain.

Also she has a surprising amount of lore in her quotes which would be super interested to see expanded upon (the most prominent example is her being a pirate but retiring to a surfer life.)

Edit: I made an entire thread about this

i am deeply sorry for not reading your thread but just at a glance i 10000% feel like woodlegs, the character whose expertise is actual Boats, has a treasure hat (that could 100% be retrofit to work with the existing treasure system in DST), and actually fits having a "crew" and working with all of the existing boat items, would fit better than Walani, a character whose expertise is 1 person vehicles that wouldn't use basically any of the existing boat items, used to be a pirate but doesnt do it anymore, and. dries off quicker i guess lol 

Personally I think it's really just trivia whether Wagstaff was originally designed to be Hamlet exclusive or planned as an addition to the base game all along, but his kit is useful in any world (a bit harder to get started with in Shipwrecked because you have to hunt around a lot more to find good supplies of gold and pigs, but good later on, and perfectly fine in RoG) and has good synergy with Hamlet. Especially because his goggles replace the effect of the Pith Hat or Cowl rather than making you choose between them like you have to do with the Shamlet Mask.

2 hours ago, Lbphero said:

(i should note here that his actual clip in the hamlet trailer was in ROG)

This part isn't true, I don't think. Sure it doesn't have unmistakable Hamlet elements in the background the way Wilba's and Wormwood's do, and Wheeler's just straight up has her facing down a Hamlet mob, but it's a pretty obvious continuation of his gameplay clip where he's stealing berries from pig guards.

9 hours ago, Mr. Despair said:

idk bro

bearger vest, rain coat and cactus shirt are extremely underrated.

* Walani - surfboards + immunity to drowsiness + Pool tab (towel turfs + pool noodle life hacks)

Hand towel (10 uses, wipes 40 wetness) + Peach towel turf (5 per/min regen + cooling) + Sunny towel turf (5 per/min sanity + heating) 

Sprinkler + Noodle hut + Aqua noodle gun (34 damage, range weapon, fully wets target, 10 uses)

haven't thought any downsides yet... maybe allergies to mushrooms (-5 per min health being near them)

I'd love to see them implemented, cause the odds of me going back and playing anything but DST right now is pretty slim. I also see complaints from time to time about seafaring and hope with an update to it we'd at least see a Shipwrecked character or two.

Walani seems super neat, and makes me want to go try the single player version if I could actually afford it.

Archived