Do you want Shipwrecked and Hamlet characters in DST

Do you want Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters in DST  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want all Hamlet and Shipwrecked characters in DST?

2. 2. Would you want them to be refreshed?

3. 3. Do you want specific characters?

As a player who now almost exclusively spends his time in the ocean, I just want a character that is designed specifically for sailing. If they brought in Woodlegs, I would love it if they reworked him and gave him special items and perks that worked with the cookie boat. 

I was all for bringing Wheeler into DST unchanged from singleplayer up until Walter debuted; now she probably would need a rework to be mechanically worthwhile, because she shares the 'fast-moving, ranged-fighting character who should avoid taking melee hits' niche with Walter as well as the overlap she already had with Wortox's ability to dodge blows. Her Navigadget is much more unique to Wheeler, and I find it a useful item when it's working. However, it often glitches out and crashes the game in singleplayer, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people trying out Wheeler gave up on the Navigadget completely instead of trying to wring functionality out of it. I absolutely love Wheeler's personality, look, and backstory, so I'll keep waving my flag for her and playing with the Hamlet Characters mod regardless, but mechanically she has so much in common with Walter that she's not really viable as a direct port anymore.

Wagstaff has a similar problem, but less severe. His biggest asset is the Thumper, which is conceptually similar to what Winona does and the actual function of the machine puts him in direct competition with Maxwell and Woodie as a resource-gatherer. His goggles and the Telebrella are pretty decent, but if you took the Thumper out of his kit he'd be a little underpowered and lack mechanical focus. Also I don't know if there's a secret lore reason why he's not a playable character in DST or if that's just because he was added late and/or has code that would be difficult to convert on the backend.

I think Wilba as-is and Wilbur with a buff would work fine in DST, but wouldn't really be tapping into any unfilled niches and have no special connection to DST lore. Wilba's even more heavily tied to Hamlet than Wormwood was, too.

Either Walani or Woodlegs - or both as a two-for-one update - would fill the currently unfilled niche of an ocean character for DST, but they would both need reworks. Woodlegs just to adapt him to multiplayer boating, Walani more extensively because she's not very strong even in Shipwrecked. Despite Woodlegs being in a somewhat better starting position, I'd kind of prefer Walani to be the one who gets the rework treatment simply because I think her interactions with the other DST characters would be more interesting and I think her character design is something the DST roster needs more of.

I'm not particularly worried about devaluing SW and Hamlet by adding their unique characters to DST, because both expansion packs have plenty to offer besides the characters. Unlike Reign of Giants, which focused on adding more features to the main game world, SW and Ham both bring their own new environments to the table, and while Return of Them has added a few Shipwrecked assets to DST they're still more different than they are alike.

Honestly after seeing how awesome Warlys inclusion to DST was I have faith that other characters could be given unique benefits that would help them fill out interesting roles in DST.

Walani would realistically buff everyone she's on a boat with, her chillness would effect everyone on board. Maybe this could be reducing the effectiveness of Wavy Jones, regenerating everyone's health and sanity over time while on the boat, making them take longer to succumb to weather effects and wetness, and if her team does all the boat activities instead of her, SHE gets benefits.

Woodlegs could be a boat master, having no penalties from rowing boats, immediately taking out and putting away masts, immediate anchor dropping and lifting, unique and stronger boat upgrades(maybe even the boat itself which needs more materials than wood imo) and a bonus to finding treasure out at sea.

Wilba could roughly copy Wurt, but instead of making a Merm King, she herself becomes the Pig Queen when certain conditions are met, able to utilize a pseudo one-man-band effect making her one of the best army characters because she doesn't need to go around feeding everyone to follow her. 

16 hours ago, BoySyrup said:

Warly and Wormwood were chosen because they work the best in a multiplayer environment, what would the others provide? (Besides Wagstaff making Woodie and Maxwell cry)

Walani and Woodlegs are fitting as an ocean-focused character, 

Wilbur and Wilba would be other mob characters through pigs and monkeys, giving them a different light.

Warbucks would be a treasure focused character filling the treasure hunter role, needing to go to ruins or search sunken treasure. He could also give gunpowder more use through blunderbuss and potentially ecoand swordfighting mechanics.

Just now, SinancoTheBest said:

Walani and Woodlegs are fitting as an ocean-focused character, 

Wilbur and Wilba would be other mob characters through pigs and monkeys, giving them a different light.

Warbucks would be a treasure focused character filling the treasure hunter role, needing to go to ruins or search sunken treasure. He could also give gunpowder more use through blunderbuss and potentially ecoand swordfighting mechanics.

warbucks can even have his culturally problematic downside removed aswell! It's perfect.

Don't Starve has always had a bit of a commentary of the horrors of colonialism built into it's lore, so I don't think they actually want to change Warbucks as a character. If they were willing to do so, they probably would have done that instead of just flat out remove him.

id personally rather have a new character to fill the ocean niche. i dont think woodlegs' cartoonish pirates of the caribbean vibe would fit in the DST world. I think a playable hermit character to fill the ocean niche would be really neat. 

7 minutes ago, Ohan said:

id personally rather have a new character to fill the ocean niche. i dont think woodlegs' cartoonish pirates of the caribbean vibe would fit in the DST world. I think a playable hermit character to fill the ocean niche would be really neat. 

Inb4 Pearl and Crab King's long lost illegitimate child finds their way to the constant.

Walani sounds like a fan favorite pick for a port and rework, so I'm in for her.

Wheeler sounds cool.

Wagstaff is a lore-heavy character that was introduced when many of people were playing DST more that DS, and his interactions could be cool to see.

I want Wilba for no other reason than her interaction with Wurt and Webber. She is enemy to them both and I find the idea of the trio begrudgingly cooperating amusing.

I think Wagstaff should have a presence as an NPC somehow, sort of like Charlie, and the true playable mastermind of inventions on DST should be Winona. 

Woodlegs, with a heavy rework, could fit DST I guess, although I'm all up for a new ocean themed character instead (who must have perks that heavily benefit him/her on land as well, just ocean based perks, and then being a Wilson on land would be terribly boring)

As many others pointed out in this thread, most of the perks of the other characters were already implemented in a way or another, either into the reworks, or the new DST characters. Warly and Wormwood were the most unique and DST compatible characters left from singleplayer, so their port was clearly the best move.

Walani - Yeah, yeah. She would most likely make regular boats obsolete, but on the other hand she would make for a pretty interesting scouting character if we get more chunks of land to explore. I like the idea of Walani's surfboard being able to hold two people and moving at a slightly increased speed to make navigating the island pretty efficient. (I suppose Walter/WX-78/Woodie are already the crown scouts, though.)

Wilbur - Situational character, but the movement speed is a nice scouting tool. Not sure what you could do about not having any monkey assistance, Klei would most likely have to refresh Wilbur around not having any monkeys.

Woodlegs - I feel like cannons wouldn't really serve much of a purpose besides starting wildfires and destruction. Most I could see the Sea Legs doing is providing artillery support during hound waves, provided you don't absolutely annihilate the camp on accident. Might be the trickiest refresh.

Wheeler - I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I believe Walter genuinely fulfills her role a bit better. She's got the dodge, sure, but she's lacking in the ridiculous mobility + storage capabilities of Walter.

Wagstaff - Personally, I like the mystery of not having Wagstaff among the survivors. I think WX-78 and Winona work well as his "substitutes", with one being the direct creation and the other an inspired worker. Heck, we could get more Wagstaff lore with WX-78's rework, and Winona could always receive more buildings in the future.

Wilba - I'm not sure if it's bias, but I think Wilba would be the most fun inclusion, it's another constant born creature, she's got great interaction potential, and her ending up in the current constant would even fit her "Royal Adventurer" tag. She's got a fun form (just remove the ability to smash buildings in this form), and is a fun challenge with the insane sanity drain at night.

Wagstaff was officially pulled into the constant for real during Winona’s short- prior to this he explored the constant through creating WX78, as well as being a hologram in solo DS.

This is important to note because- this dude literally had a fully built functional portal in his office and had Created WX78 to explore the constant further, I do not find it ironic one tiny little bit that Wagstaffs company creates the Voxola music devices that suck Wilson & now also Walter into the constant..

The dude is clearly up to no good, rather intentionally.. or by being too curious for his own good.. The results have yet to be seen.

Wheeler on the other hand has almost been entirely replaced By Walter & Wortox- However there is still ONE useful tool Wheeler can bring to the table, the Navigadget.. This is an absurdly over powered insanely broken gadget.. but coincidentally it also would end up being the most BEGINNER Friendly item in the game.

For players who haven’t played as Wheeler- The Navigadget is a compass like item you cram ingredients into- And then it will point an arrow towards the nearest resource of that type to your current location. So for example- if you can only manage to find one sapling in an area- place it into Navigadget and it will lead you directly to more saplings.

Its literally a “Waypoint to useful stuffs” 

6 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

Wilbur - Situational character, but the movement speed is a nice scouting tool. Not sure what you could do about not having any monkey assistance, Klei would most likely have to refresh Wilbur around not having any monkeys.

Is that ignoring splumonkeys? I bet they can do quite interesting stuff if they rework Wilbur with a focus on the whole of Splumonkey race.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:22 AM, Russian_Philin said:

You know what the problem is... If the characters from these DLC will also be in DST, then the solo project will lose some of its uniqueness. I don't mind all these characters appearing in lore and bumping into each other, but it's not worth adding them as playable characters in DST.
I've been waiting for Wagstaff in DST for a long time. I hope that it will be added there for many important reasons. But it seems to me that this character will be used for other purposes. It's not as ordinary as you think. It has a very strange fate and a very strange problem with distortions. I don't know what happened to it, but it was probably damaged by moving through a self-made portal. I remember that it was said that the inventor's portal was faulty, so perhaps this also affected it. Having also studied all of Wagstaff's quotes, I understand that his main goal is a nightmare throne. So, we can expect the overthrow of the reign or something large-scale specifically with it.
P.S. I also think that new characters are no longer required for DST. It is better to focus on the disclosure of the lore and other interesting points.

Exactly! As much as i would love to have Wagstaff in DST i feel it would take away DLC's uniqueness (I love engineers as characters and Winona's kit doesn't feel like one).

The same goes with all the other characters. It's not that i don't like them! I just want other DLCs to feel more unique (we also have some DLC survivors as well)

I feel like lorewise theres so much yet to be discovered and we might find some of the DLC characters being involved in the DST world.

I guess we just have to be patient.

5 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Is that ignoring splumonkeys? I bet they can do quite interesting stuff if they rework Wilbur with a focus on the whole of Splumonkey race.

I guess they could make splumonkeys more useful for Wilbur, since as of now they don't treat him as the monkey king. Might make him a bit of a caves character too, provided caves are enabled.

7 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

While I do think Wilbur should be able to befriend splemunkeys, I don't think that should be the center of a possible rework for him.

Splemunkeys are one tiny part of the game, they would be absolutely horrible to mass-produce around other players due to their stealing, and it would be difficult to justify befriending the shadow splemunkeys(and if he can't, the perk is kind of useless?). Compared to Webber and Wilba, I would argue that spiders and pigs are a much bigger part of the game than the monkeys are.

Perhaps a better area to change him in is give him a bonus to armor and clothing, the idea is that he made it out of ''parts he stole'', so he is happy wearing the things he stole. You steal the mactusk fang to make the walking cane, you ''steal'' grass and twigs, etc. So they should have more durability and last longer, and maybe some items should have their effectiveness and wetness reduction increased.

I dunno Wilbur is really hard to think of for a rework, I don't think he should have a team-based perk though.Monkeys are evil spawn from hell and their perks should reflect that.

4 hours ago, Lbphero said:

literally how

His most interesting and lore-relevant quotes are actually out of Hamlet and in Shipwrecked and RoG, he was also given for free to all DS players so you don't even need Hamlet to play him(I don't even think you need RoG actually).

Archived