Oxygen Not Included DLC Roadmap July 2020

On 9/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, yoakenashi said:

ONI DLC: $14.99

New ONI DLC roadmap: $74.99

A random post from the Dev team letting us know they are still alive: $349.99

Maybe we make a donation campaign, if we get more money than they expect to get from the DLC maybe we can get some random post from a dev.

55 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Maybe we make a donation campaign, if we get more money than they expect to get from the DLC maybe we can get some random post from a dev.

they will simply attach a generator of random phrases to the forum and go on an indefinite vacation))

41 minutes ago, spkthed said:

At this point I'm a little worried they hit some bottleneck that isn't solvable :(

I don't see why they should. But I admittedly know next to nothing about software development on Windows or with the engine they are using. 

Concern is probably unfounded and hey, it's not like we're *owed* more content here and there's a lotta stuff going on in the world these days right? Could be anything.

That said it's still a little odd. THAT said, they are definitely still building things:

https://steamdb.info/app/457140/depots/

18 days since the last dev branch update. I do kind of wonder if they're getting close and in the playtesting phase.

14 hours ago, spkthed said:

Concern is probably unfounded and hey, it's not like we're *owed* more content here and there's a lotta stuff going on in the world these days right? Could be anything.

That said it's still a little odd. THAT said, they are definitely still building things:

18 days since the last dev branch update. I do kind of wonder if they're getting close and in the playtesting phase.

The link here is has sooooooo much tantalizing info because one can guess that the dev branch was the branch name being used when they were actively adding new stuff, the demo branch is likely the final consumer side build testing without any dev tools, and staging is likely the most up to date finalizing build with dev tools. As you say the dev branch hasn't been updated in 18 days but the demo and staging both have updates within the last day which I'm thinking means they are working on polishing the dlc so they can "...get the DLC into your rubber-gloved-hands...". Exciting!!!

17 hours ago, spkthed said:

I will need to bookmark that! ;-)

While that shows what's been pushed to Steam, it's not really a good reflection of how active the team is. 

I don't want to come off too defensive here, but I do feel like it's important that you are aware that all of our game teams are working every single day on exactly what we said we are. Every day each team has multiple zoom meetings and work as hard as they can to get the content that we promised to you according to the roadmap. 

Maybe it's because we don't often come out and say this explicitly, but as I said last night, we don't spend a lot of time on hyping the community. It's our intention that the game, the content and the players enjoyment of that content will help attract more players and satisfy those that are already playing. In addition to that, not making explicit early promises about the content allows the development team the room they need to make important decisions throughout design. In addition, time spent documenting and presenting early information about upcoming DLC takes time from that development, more time before it can release.

That being said. A choice was made a while back. Continual small updates like DST (which helps players not get bored) or a big, meaty DLC that is substantial and worth the wait. For Oxygen Not Included we thought players would want something more substantial and not small continual updates because taking the time to put together something larger means more complex and different systems that couldn't be done in small bits. 

If we get to the end of this DLC release and we find that it was not worth the time spent away from more frequent and smaller content updates, we will certainly reflect on that and adjust. But for now please rest assured that the team is working as hard as they can to get this out to you and the moment we can share more details with you, we will. 

Well, the main problem, I think, was the basically total silence, including the bug-forum. It felt a bit like Klei had fallen off the face of the earth. An occasional assurance (say, every two months) that you are still there is quite enough. I do agree that the steam view is not really telling us anything on the nature of the changes, but it gives us a sign that there is activity. For me, that is already enough. You people have proven time and again that you know what you are doing.

I also do agree to your decision DLC-wise. The small updates were nice for quite a while, but there is a limit what you can do with them and I think that limit was reached with the last one. The DLC may change that again or not. We will find out and, rest assured, give you honest feedback. 

DLC comes with a 'we can charge you x for it' which is super fair and which I'd prefer. This isn't a game that appeals to everyone but those of us that love it certainly will be willing to contribute to help make up for that. I've gotten more out of this than most AAA games and honestly I'd like to purchase DLC.

Good point on the dev. I didn't mean to imply that the team wasn't working but I can see how it comes across that way. Just that it looked closer to the end of the wait than the beginning when it came to this platform. 

Anyway, thanks for all the team has done. Can't wait to introduce my kids to this game when they get older, and FWIW, this is my favorite game of all time, not even close.

Yes, and sometimes I forget that not everybody knows how we do things historically and maybe I don't always address it as well as I should. 

Let me make sure this is clear, there will definitely be a future update to vanilla that will include changes and bug fixes as well as support for the DLC. We do not make it a practice to fix bugs ONLY through a DLC and we actively do our best to avoid that from happening.

As far as the bug tracker. This changes a little from team to team, but the intention of the bug tracker is mostly to be a place where bugs are posted and tracked for our reference and not as much something we try to always make sure everything is responded to or addressed. We don't spend a lot of time making sure that the bug tracker accurately reflects what is happening with those bugs. That takes a lot of time and resources we would rather spend elsewhere. That is definitely something I would like to improve, so people don't feel it's being ignored. It's definitely not ignored. 

Thanks @JoeW

In my oppinion it was a good decision to focus on bigger DLC for the game instead of several smaller packs. Also, we don't need any more hype - we are already hyped to 100%! You know, we just wanted some ensurance that things are going as planned, maybe some estimated release date or something (no rushing, just for our information that we could sleep calmly).

Please send our regards to the devs (honest one, not Lannister-style), make them smile, tell them that we love them and we do appreciate all the hard work they are doing for the DLC. I believe they will do something great and I don't care if it take month or 3 or 12 ;)

Just please, appear sometimes on the forum and sing us "Still Alive" song that we knew the virus didn't kill you - that will grant us enough peace of mind to endure the waiting time :)

19 hours ago, JoeW said:

While that shows what's been pushed to Steam, it's not really a good reflection of how active the team is.

When I read that a fully build-able space locations with an additional sim layer (radiation) with the goal of performance staying the same would be coming, I knew that a lot of work and discussions were on the table for all of you ONI devs and that the resulting silence after was just the sound of all the discussions and work being completed. I very much understand that the steamdb link isn't at all representative of what's going on, and was just speculating out of excitement about where things might be. Having long played games where the company's motto for updates is Soon™, I am more than happy to wait as long as it takes for this incredibly complex game to receive its updates because it will be well worth the wait. 

Thank you all for all the work and passion that goes into ONI.

18 hours ago, JoeW said:

That being said. A choice was made a while back. Continual small updates like DST (which helps players not get bored) or a big, meaty DLC that is substantial and worth the wait. For Oxygen Not Included we thought players would want something more substantial and not small continual updates because taking the time to put together something larger means more complex and different systems that couldn't be done in small bits.

2 hours ago, pether said:

In my opinion it was a good decision to focus on bigger DLC for the game instead of several smaller packs.

As ONI is, imo, a game about building a system to get parts to build other systems while keeping the existing systems sustainable, without new systems that's when players start to get bored. Smaller updates I think usually are useful to add to and change existing systems (e.g. automation pack) but completely agree that adding more systems which the game needs to keep engagement needs to be done in a big dlc.

Thanks @JoeW
You made my day, i was losing hopes.

From my point of view, i think the community arent really worry about the release date of the dlc. 
Because, they know (and me too) you are going to make it right and good.

The problem was the strange silence, and we began to think something "bad" happens.
But now, we are reassured, take care of yourself (all of you) and I hope you will not run out of meatballs before the end of the year.

DeterminedDismalGossamerwingedbutterfly-

Archived