What do you guys think about Wormwood perks on DST?

I personally love wormwood, but I find it very difficult and frustrating to play with him alone in DST, don't you guys thinks that wormwood deserves some kind of different perks in DST (Just like woodie)? His blooming season is really annoying because he draws bees nearby that can hit him and his hunger rate drops faster than wolfgang just to get 2x movespeed. Also, he is vulnerable to fire but has no advantage when he is wet. 

What do you guys think?

Hes awesome, I enjoy his downsides since they force me to change playstyles and find other ways to heal hp. I dont have any trouble with his blooming personally, as for why he doesnt have any perks for wetness. Sure itd make sense for photosynthesis or some similar perk but at that point I think Wormwood would be having a case of too many perks syndrome.

I personally don't like him. reason #1 because he replaced warbucks in the singleplayer Because his downside is too difficult in my opinion, it makes it hard for him to fight any high tier bosses because the compost wrap is rather expensive and it takes time to apply, He is more of a support character he mostly works well with other characters, especially with a Wickerbottom and Warly, Wickerbottom to farm all sorts of veggies (even reeds for honey poultices) And he can help Warly to cook his magnificent dishes.

As someone who plays challenging survival game’s Wormwoods additional challenges aren’t all that big of an actual challenge to Me, He is Better than Wes for Certain, but also once you know what to do and what to use managing Wormwoods Downsides become pretty much a non-issue.. for ME personally I find Wormwood to be easy to play due simply to all the stuff he can do..  but yeah I guess I can see where he might be challenging to others. (I mean planting and growing food anywhere you want isn’t something you should take lightly ya know.)

The no healing from eating foods is also equally not even a real challenge to me because this is something that instead of being used on Wormwood only, Should apply to ALL Characters in a Hardcore mode- Look I don’t know about you guys but when I get hurt going to tacobell and ordering a Doritos Locos Taco doesn’t magically heal the wound or stop the bleeding.

Bandages, Alcohol, and time to heal will. It seems really silly to me that a game that actually has a tab for healing items we should be using, also chooses to allow us to ignore those healing items completely by slapping around a few butterflies or cooking and eating something.. it’s time that DST finally got an Actual Uncompromising Mode.. 

And sadly, Wormwoods the closest I’m gonna get to that for now. :( 

Even though I may suck as him, I enjoy playing as him. He is perfect how he is, not too easy but not a pure hinderence like Wes. Regarding blooming, yes it is a bit bad if you are unprepared, but if you use the season to do something like explore the caves, fight a boss that needs a lot of speed like Bee Queen, or even collect all the resorces for a new base in a day. His speed is invaluable as a boost and is welcome by all playstyles. I would also recommend just not stoping in bee infested areas, just like how keep on moving works in the swamp to avoid tentacles, it would also work for bees since, unless you are going through that bridge that would give nicholas cage nightmares, bees are spread out enough to allow you just to run by.

he is a difficult character so is recommended to play him when you can kite perfectly but his crops perk is one of the more powerfull of the game and has a very good control over his sanity

the only bad thing is that his recipes for the armor and traps are a little expensive

#stopbuffs

I think his perks are okay as he is.

His crafts need revision IMO, to compensate for his perks/weaknesses. Like his armor has too low durability. With a decent durability his armor and a bee hat would be more than enough to get rid of bees (among other things). Have you seen people using his armor on public servers, even when more than one Wormwood are present? What about Wigfrids helmet? I think Wormwood's armor is rarely used by other players because it wont last long enough for doing anything useful besides picking cactii.

Same goes for wrap, it has a huge animation debuff and getting the materials to make just one is too grindy, compared to making salves or poultice. He should probably get 2 instead every time he crafts, or reduce the materials required, or increase the hp restored per each wrap. As it stands its not useful.

Wormwood is my main because cute personality and he makes you play the game differently than you normally would with a downside that IMO is more impactful than Wes's and Maxwell's low hp.  His upsides are also very nice as they synergize well with other characters while also being useful to the team on their own, even though they are not useful to worm himself (specifically being able to mass grow crops for easy healing on everyone but worm).

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Like his armor has too low durability.

I think one of the major misconceptions about Wormwood is that the bramble husk is ment to be used as armor, but instead meant to be used a utility tool like a piece of clothing. The best example of comparison is the Scalemail, where even though it could be used as armor, it will mainly be used as a way to protect against fire damage, and I see the Bramble Husk the same way. I gives wormwood the freedom to easily get cactus, twigs, and be immune to his traps for just wearing it, making it dynamic in its uses as it allows more versitility and freedom in getting twigs from spiky bushes and cactus for sanity without having to get that trade off. While his crafts maybe underwelming, I feel like peope just misintepert what the Bramble Husk is meant to be used for, for utility not protection.

I’m just glad they patched him so he no longer loses sanity when gathering many of the most common resource types (mainly grass and saplings) plucking those no longer drains his Sanity (thank god for that) instead he makes a comment like “Nice hair cut friend!”

1 minute ago, Frashaw27 said:

I feel like peope just misintepert what the Bramble Husk is meant to be used for, for utility not protection

Don't get me wrong the utility side is good, but I still think that in the reality of the every day game its just not worth making just for that.

It's still an armor and if it had "at least" logsuit durability people would probably look at it with different eyes. The scalemail has s decent durability and can be used as protection, it even makes melee enemies get away from you as they catch on fire if they hit you.

Bramble husk was directly ported from DS without any change in durability, armors in DS work very differently, enemies are stronger in DST and the durability BH has is too low, in armor standards, for a DST enviroment, specially considering its made out of a somewhat expensive item (living log). 

In my experience the use I see of this armor on all public and private coop servers I've been to were just crafting 2 armor for the whole game, one be left at the entrance of oasis and the other at the entrance of dfly desert, so whoever picks cactii can use it. And that's it.

His traps are not used due to the constant friendly fire kills, and the fact that tooth traps are cheaper and harmless to all players with less effort. 

Either make it purely utility, like a piece of clothing, or make it a real armor. Right where it stands now, even with a good helmet, you'd need at least 2 or 3 to make it worth using at a real fight.

TL;DR: utility is fine, the armor side still needs review. In reality its not durable enough for a non-wormwood to ever request for one. Being a multiplayer game, I think it should be more useful than it currently is.

4 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

I personally don't like him. reason #1 because he replaced warbucks in the singleplayer Because his downside is too difficult in my opinion, it makes it hard for him to fight any high tier bosses because the compost wrap is rather expensive and it takes time to apply, He is more of a support character he mostly works well with other characters, especially with a Wickerbottom and Warly, Wickerbottom to farm all sorts of veggies (even reeds for honey poultices) And he can help Warly to cook his magnificent dishes.

Wormwood is still viable in whatever solo boss rush you want; just make a bunch of healing salves instead of pierogies, and then sleep off the remaining damage after the battle. I recommend saving the rot and manure that you were going to use for compost wrap as fertilizer instead. 

16 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Wormwood is still viable in whatever solo boss rush you want; just make a bunch of healing salves instead of pierogies, and then sleep off the remaining damage after the battle. I recommend saving the rot and manure that you were going to use for compost wrap as fertilizer instead. 

Small thing worth noting is that monkeys are a great source of poop for Worm, aswell as occasional earth quakes that can deliver rocks and nitre that are both used for worms healing methods. Finding a swamp near ruins is also a great addition since you can get easy gland for salves. Honestly Wormwood is alot of fun in the caves and ruins overall if you know how to play him.

12 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Small thing worth noting is that monkeys are a great source of poop for Worm, aswell as occasional earth quakes that can deliver rocks and nitre that are both used for worms healing methods. Finding a swamp near ruins is also a great addition since you can get easy gland for salves. Honestly Wormwood is alot of fun in the caves and ruins overall if you know how to play him.

Definitely; you can also just let lightbulbs rot on the ground for rot (things rot 50% faster when they're on the ground). I'm still more of a fan of the werepig method of manure-collecting though, but that's not really a cave thing. 

I find myself using him to create giant multiple screen wide farm plots and treating the game like a slot machine from those double bird seed drops.  Every single time.  I may have a problem with gambling mechanics and seeing exponential growths.

43 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Definitely; you can also just let lightbulbs rot on the ground for rot (things rot 50% faster when they're on the ground). I'm still more of a fan of the werepig method of manure-collecting though, but that's not really a cave thing. 

for that i dont understand why people says that the compost wrap is grindy. One travel to the caves and you have healing for days (healing for chill moments not in the middle of a fight, for this there is other ways) and by the way you can fight batilisk in the guano biome to craft multiple batbats

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

for that i dont understand why people says that the compost wrap is grindy. One travel to the caves and you have healing for days (healing for chill moments not in the middle of a fight, for this there is other ways) and by the way you can fight batilisk in the guano biome to craft multiple batbats

I think it's because they do take more effort to make in bulk compared to healing salves, and they're trying to discourage use of compost wraps from Wormwoods at the expense of the rest of the team. Those 5 rot and 2 manure translate into 28 potential berries on average after all, and while compost wraps have niche uses as an off-combat healer if you have manure and rot that you don't actually need, they're not a good choice for most boss fights due to the ridiculously long healing animation or in most situations period because for everyone else, fertilizer = food. 

Where to start ? DST Wormwood is disappointing compared to its DS counterpart. He lost so much synergies that made playing the game a whole other experience.

I played Wormwood in Hamlet and before you could travel from Hamlet to the other DLC I played him in unlinked RoG and Shipwrecked world. I totally know Wormwood, where he shines and how to counter his perks. Wormwood in DS is a lot of fun because of the Hamlet synergies that make Wormwood's uninteresting perks some great gameplay changer.

First, I will explain why the perks are uninteresting, on a solo point of view :

- Planting without farms : your crops takes 4 times longer to grow and can rot. You manage your sanity while doing so but sanity is a non problem once you have a Tam'O Shanter and know your food. Food is also an absolute no problem so I really think this perk is the most overhyped of the whole game. I actually craft farms with Wormwood. I plant in the ground only to assure me some rots. Not that useful.

- Sanity managing thanks to tree choping/burning/seed planting : this perk is actually useful to quickly go insane or sane. However you can do the same easily with monster meat / mushroom caps so again, not gameplay changer that much.

- Healing mechanics : I actually always heal with salves / honey poultices no matter my character. It is a self imposed challenge and also I generally don't take damages while fighting bosses so I prefer healing methods that don't spoil. But the whole food concept change with Wormwood as you can eat poisonous food now : red caps, monster meat / lasagna (great to manage yout sanity) etc. The perk isn't that useful but still one of the very specific to WW that actually change its gameplay on a still significant (and relevant while basing in the caves) level. Great perk, one of the best.

- Blooming is my favorite perk even if the most useless of all. Only in Spring, 20 days on 70 days in a year making that perk active 28.6% of the year. It is a buff/debuff mechanic that basically make you travel faster or kite with ease (same cost that Wolfgang but WG also has double damage, just saying) only in a very specific moment of the year. Bye seasonal bosses that you actually would like to kite as Klaus per example.

- The green thumb crafts are the most useless items of the Constant I think. In DS or DST never do I use them. And I mega base in the 3 DLC, on several worlds, I really tried to use the traps but there are less useful than the basic ones. The Bramble Husk is useless to me as I don't colleck spiky bush or cactus with Wormwood. Even so, just dig the bush to avoir damages or wear a football helmet that you probably (I do) always have in inventory. I won't lose an inventory space for that item. No crafts from this tab change my gameplay a bit, I just plain ignore them. I used to actually craft compost wraps, I still do just for having a stack for decorative purpose but healing salves and honey poultice are so easy to mass produce, better to use, and don't cost the nitre I use to make my gunpowder. Also, I don't even craft Living log, I always have a lot of them before being interested in Dark Sword or ruin gears but that one craft could be useful if I wanted to rush the ruins. It is a good point, it would actually change my gameplay.

- Snaptooth and lureplant friends : Lureplant friends is one ot the must useless specific perk you could imagine. You can place a road in a Lureplant field with any character to prevent eyes spawning and run on it to lure mobs in the eyes. You don't have to be Wormwood, that still has to make a road if he wants to run away faster to heal ! You don't actually use that one, it's amazing. I mean, the idea is great, the execution is non existent. In DS, you can actually try to kill bosses with Lureplant, not all of them and most of the time not killing them as they will uproot/kill the lureplant quickly but you can try that. Once again, you don't have to be Wormwood to do it and it only does some tedious damages on the bosses because they have low HP. Try that in DST with bosses having 10 to 50 times more health and do it with other players that will be caught in the eyes, it won't work. Snaptooth friends is one of the most powerful perk of WW in Hamlet, if not the best. You actually play completely different because of that ! You can base near the jungle to use the snaptooth to protect yourself from the bats waves, you travel more easily between islands and you start fight between mobs way more easily too. I actually relocated some snaptooth and feed them meat to create my personal guard around the base. You can have different mobs with different pattern (the one that doesn't move, the tier 3 is really great for your base). Losing snaptooth was and still is losing the best Wormwood perk of all times.

Now, second part. I will detail why Wormwood had a lot of synergies in Hamlet making most of those perks more useful.

- Planting : you could mass produce food to give to the citizen to produce manure. By collecting the manure, you gain Oincs to buy stuff or healing. You are rewarded in various ways to farm vegetables and feeding the pigs. Also, you maintain your sanity while doing so. In Hamlet, I guess that we can say this perk is top tier. In SW or RoG, this is still useless if you don't bring the citizens with the Key to the city from Hamlet.

- Sanity managing. No synergies actually, still a different approach for something you can easily do (especially in DST with mushrooms farms).

- Blooming : in DS, by world hoping and carefully choosing the day you link/start a DLC world, you can manage to bloom almost all the time. End of Spring in RoG ? Go in Hamlet because Lush season begins at that exact moment as you planned to start your Hamlet world accordingly. Then go in SW to the Monsoon season, rince and repeat. You will enjoy blooming and the 1.06 to 1.2 speed multiplier for most of your gameplay. While you still can't fight specific bosses (DF, Bearger and Deerclops, the RoG seasonal ones) you can manage to fight the others and kite with more ease. To be totally partial however, kiting in DS is a formality with or without that boost. The biggest benefit is actually to accelerate the time travel and so the game itself, making that perk top tier.

Healing mechanic : not that much more synergies, still one the best reason to play Wormwood. Actually the red cap munching is the most useful in RoG.

- Green thumb crafts. Bramble husk is still a forced item that you don't really have to use in Hamlet. Same reason, why lost an inventory slot when you can just use your regular football helmet + log suit to almost negate the damages ? You drown in pig skin in Hamlet (in the three DLC actually if you spider farm / werepig farm) + you can buy the armor with your Oincs earned by cleaning the streets. It comes to your preference, a slot inventory or just switching to clean the bramble in lush season in Hamlet. Bramble traps are still useless and believe I tried to use them to farm spiders / pigs, whatever. They are just not worth it compared to regular method, they are actually less effective / rewarding, specifically when comparing to the risk they represent if you happen to break your Bramble Husk while running around them fighting (instant death). Anyway, they actually wouldn't be gameplay changer, compared to the planting / Blooming perk. Just another way to trap, with the same mechanics. With the anenemy in DST, they are even less an alternative and just a joke.

So, while I did my Cassandre when Wormwood was announced in DST with almost no changes (just the poison balm removed), I still played him and enjoyed him. I mega based (no character switching, I never do that), boss killed and the whole package. It felt refreshing to do things a bit different (healing mechanic and red cap munching in fact, only difference) but that is the whole problem : at the end of the day, you are not playing that much differently. Your base is not different to one of the other character (I still based as I do with Willow, Wendy, Warly etc.). Not even a slightest bit if like me you always put a tent no matter the character and you use farms with Wormwood to prevent the crops rotting and to harvest them 4 times faster. So you don't base differently, I personally don't heal differently but that is my personal case but and that is the most disappointing one, you don't fight differently. No Snaptooth, not even the slightest 1.06 speed multiplier most of the time (71.4% exactly) , nothing. You are fighting like a Wilson, while having the perk of not healing with food : while that last perk doesn't bother me you got it, it feels so unbalanced, so punishing and no rewarding at all. Ant that is my biggest problem with Wormwood :

Where are the reward at the end of the day ? Where is the pride, where are the changes in your base layout ? Wurt got it right, you base differently with her because of her marsh turf that makes you base in Swamp (or not actually, but you have the possibility to, and to have a whole different looking base at the end of the day) and the Merms hut that gives an unique feel and look. Wormwood got, if you play with other players, fields of vegetables to be honest. But to also be honest, while playing on public server, who cares ? Other players love it for the lolz, but having those 12 carrots, 3 potatoes and 5 asparagus isn't useful. You still spider farm / bunny farm / pig farm to have silk and pig skin, giving you all the meat you need + the carrots for the other players' pierogis. I am not even sure Wormwood's planting is useful for Warly if you don't have a Wickerbottom. The best way to mass produce with Warly is still to bunny farm, turn all your carrots to manure thanks to werepig and use those manure stacks on your crops. Wormwood is actually useful only when it rains I guess as I suppose you can mass utilize the rain buff on a lot of crops in spring but I am not sure if the rain affects the crops the same way it does in a farm (the 4 times multiplier).

So to finish, you got it, I find Wormwood DST disappointing because he losts so much synergies and core features from Hamlet. Plus, I didn't even got in why WW bramble traps doesn't fit in DST and all that stuff.

How to improve Wormwood in DST ? Give us a kind of Snaptooth vibes (upgrade the lureplant with compost wrap, I don't know do your magic), make the blooming more relevant (you could start it by pouring compsot wrap on you and end it by harvesting your petals with a razor, I don't know do your magic). These would be way better. However, I still hope for a perk around the wetness as I really would like Wormwood to profit from it (even it is like starting the blooming per example, with instead of wetness you got a blooming jauge that works the same way Woodie's curse. But I am losing myself in proposition no ones care, just got the  main idea). I would love to have a character that actually goes yay, no Eyebrella in spirng, not in the caves, I love the wetness so much I actually put the Ice cube and let ice metls on me just to get wet and sometimes I even farm mosquitoes to splash myself with waterballoons. Like really, that would be a whole different approach of the game with different crafts and activities.

Thanks for reading.

I don't play him much, so here are what I think about his perks/exclusive items

• Seed planting on the grounds. Makes him the master of farming. I do think that Klei will tweak farming in the future so this perk is invaluable
  • Healing. I think it's fine. One trip to cave and I have like 4 stacks of light bulbs, so mass produce rots/manures for compost wraps or salves is easy. I got rocks constantly from stone fruits so only 1 thing left to care about is nitre mole farm. If you play with other people then it doesn't change your play style drastically since Wormwood will be the guy to go to cave regularly
  • Blooming. I don't like seasonal stuffs very much. For me it would be better if every time it's raining Wormwood could gain movement speed. I mean only movement speed, the blooming stuff is kinda pointless. But Klei invested so much effort into this, so maybe he still can go through blooming stages in spring but in other seasons and when it's raining, Wormwood could gain 1 health every 3 seconds, fixed 13% speed and hunger drain 66% faster just like stage 2 (because his metabolism is better)
  • Bramble Husk. This is useless. I don't think an inferior armor to negate damage from spiky bushes and cacti is worth it, consider it requires 2 living logs. It would be much better if the durability and absorption is the same as log suit and also can deals damage equal to attacker damage (50% for bosses) instead of constant 22.5 damage. The AOE damage should be removed to balance this armor and it makes sense since you should never engage with a group of enemy playing as Wormwood
  • Bramble Trap. This one is useless too, normal tooth traps are better in so many ways and easier to craft. Even when you buff it with something like slow down enemy 80%, it just easier to craft enough tooth traps because the number of hounds is capped. It seems it has no use at all

Wormwood's a good utility character and a secondary main for me. I think the DST version of him is a good port; I didn't really appreciate the difference his lowered flammability made until I tried playing him in Hamlet and caught fire every time I tried to cook something over a campfire, and I think the nerf to his seed crops is worth it in light of that. And his health thing is a lot less punishing in a RoG environment than in Hamlet (without a Skyworthy, at least); it's a lot easier to get ahold of non-food health items, including some options that don't even exist in singleplayer like souls from a friendly Wortox, so you can make living logs much more freely. Honestly I find it less trouble than Maxwell's low health cap most of the time in DST.

For that matter, the other components of his crafting items are a lot more abundant in DST as well... except the Compost Wrap, which takes about the same amount of gathering as in Ham and still has such a long application time that it's only practical to use between fights and only restores as much health as a honey poultice, making it nearly useless. Even as a fertiliser it's a waste of time; it's a slight improvement over its ingredients according to the wiki, but if you want to grow a crop quickly you don't throw five manures at something Wormwood planted in the ground, you put it in a farm and use two manures. Or you ask Wickerbottom to do it. The main reason you'd use the Bramble Trap in DST is just because if Wormwood donates the logs himself it's cheaper than tooth traps.

Archived