Items that litter.

Once your world is like 200 days old there's always a lot of items that are just littering the ground. And worst of all there's pretty much no easy way to get rid of them.

Said items are:

-Rot- from various sources mostly seeds

-Poop- usually from your beefalo or random koalefant

-Twigs- if your world has twiggy trees

-Rotten eggs and black feathers- pengull nests

I think Klei should add cleaning mobs for those items. These mobs should be made simmilary to moleworms. As in it's easy to get them across the entire map and they're not an annoyance. 

This would probably help with late game lag caused by many items on the ground. It'd also be another example of flora and fauna interactions so another benefit.

7 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Rot

I would say a better solution is to just have dirt merge wotb the ground aftet like 10 stright days of being on the floor, so that you don't have to worry about picking it up but also don't having it clog up the works.

10 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Poop

I think the same things could be applied here, just that it might get shorter the more beefalo there are as to control it.

11 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Twigs

Just have birds drive by puck them up for nests, as thats is what actual birds due, and all birds need home even if they have magical feathers.

13 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Rotten eggs and black feathers

While rotten eggs could again just be taken into the gaping maw of the planet, I feel like black feathers are a decent enough commodity that it would anger some if they just started disappearing.

I don't want a specific mob to do all the cleaning because that would feel a lot more unnatural and might cause a bit more lag from the sheer amount to get rid of. Plus I feel it would be more natural to have these products become nests or one with the earth, then tonhave arandom mobs that sees waste and wood as delicacy.

25 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I think Klei should add cleaning mobs for those items. These mobs should be made simmilary to moleworms. As in it's easy to get them across the entire map and they're not an annoyance. 

Pigs eats nearly everything, but I don't like placing pig houses to clear zones cause they go crazy during fullmoon. :(

I'd love a mob who's exclusively looking to eat crap at full-time, could be awesome... one of the thing I hate the most is all these inevitable wastes from the food you get without expecting it, hounds, eggs, frogs, sometime you just want the world to stop giving you rotting time bombs.

At now the only real waste eater I recommand are Lureplants, but it's like feeding wastes to your critter, just a bit faster but not automatic.

It'd make more sense to just have those items despawn over time, maybe specifically if they're far from any base structures. The problem with having a mob for cleaning up items is that most of the time it just would not work, because the mob would only be able to eat those items while it's loaded from the player being nearby. And if it could eat those items while it's unloaded... well, we've just created a way worse lag problem.

These items definitely have their uses. Manure and guano makes for good fuel, weee. The problem is the tedium when it comes to gathering and sorting them, given how frequently they appear in scattered places. This can be offset somewhat by organizing your base a bit better, e.g. keeping dedicated chests in "the right places", but I agree that in the long run they still tend to clog up the world (increasing lag and visual clutter).

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

(snip)

Well I didn't say that it needs to eat those items. I'd be perfectly fine with birds picking up twigs. As for rot and poop just disappearing into the ground… I guess that's a solution. And I didn't say that it'd be a single mob that cleans everyting up. 

39 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

The problem with having a mob for cleaning up items is that most of the time it just would not work, because the mob would only be able to eat those items while it's loaded.

That's not really a problem. I use moleworms to clean up rocks after earthquackes and they're doing just fine. After all what do I care about unloaded litter in areas I don't visit. It's the garbage in areas that I do visit that's annoying. And since I'm visiting those areas then that creature would have enough time to clean up the mess.

Rot and poop could be dissolved by rain (and all map cleared of such items in Spring even if a player doesn't load areas containing them).

Rotten Eggs and Black Feathers could also be de-spawned after sitting on ground more than 2-3 seasons in a row.

And Twiggy Trees should have a hard-cap on spawned twigs for a certain number in a screen-diameter. And after 1 in-game-year world should automatically delete them, except a certain area around spawn so new players can still benefit the resource.

But yes, definitely KLei should do something about these, they cause lag and are unpleasant to look at. Also they usually spawn around player, thus if player ignores them for prolonged periods of time most likely they aren't needed.

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Once your world is like 200 days old there's always a lot of items that are just littering the ground. And worst of all there's pretty much no easy way to get rid of them.

Said items are:

-Rot- from various sources mostly seeds

-Poop- usually from your beefalo or random koalefant

-Twigs- if your world has twiggy trees

-Rotten eggs and black feathers- pengull nests

This would probably help with late game lag caused by many items on the ground. It'd also be another example of flora and fauna interactions so another benefit.

why not just pick them up yourself you lazy poison birchnut in a top hat?

also there is already cleaning mob and its name is lureplant 

So uhh Pearls Empty message bottles.. do I just throw them on the ground and leave them laying anywhere I want?? I haven’t found any use for them..

it would be COOL if I could catch Fireflies in the jar as sort of a lower tier Instant Lantern.. I mean at least that would give the jars purpose outside of just littering up my world once I’ve read the message in the bottle.

You can make a area where you place a Lure Plant where only one eye spawns and use that to dispose of items.

Just run up and quickly place an item near the eye and run away and the eye will eat the item and it will slowly get deleted by it.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So uhh Pearls Empty message bottles.. do I just throw them on the ground and leave them laying anywhere I want?? I haven’t found any use for them..

it would be COOL if I could catch Fireflies in the jar as sort of a lower tier Instant Lantern.. I mean at least that would give the jars purpose outside of just littering up my world once I’ve read the message in the bottle.

If you go to Pearl you can trade them for lures, some blueprints and tackler boxes. They're actually pretty useful.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:39 AM, CorsairsEdge said:

I mean, there *is* a way to get rid of these things (and more) quite easily...

715400485_burntlitter.thumb.jpg.987a818880af27c47e358c3cee392edd.jpg

...But I don't recommend such a method near anything important.

Funny you should say that, because that's EXACTLY what I've been doing on my main world.  Gathering a pile of rot, then lighting it and letting it just...blow away and unexist  (I already have a bunch of ash).

Chester's never been happier.  He doesn't have to constantly have rot in his mouth anymore.  : P

...Notorious

4 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

If you go to Pearl you can trade them for lures, some blueprints and tackler boxes. They're actually pretty useful.

Thank You, But so far I haven’t managed to kill the Cookie Cutters to get the first 10 Shells for upgrading her Home, So me and Pearl aren’t on talking Terms.. I’m Playing as Willow Alone and I die trying.. Armor? Check. Football Helmet? Check. Spear or Hambat? Double Check. Extra Boat patches to fix any damage that may occur? Check, Check, Check!

I even tried to Force myself to go Insane and have BERNIE! Help me deal with them only for Bernie to just stand there doing nothing at all to help me. 

Its even worse that it seems to be based entirely on RNG % chance as to if you will even get a shell.

(any advices on how to deal with Cookie Cutters on Xbox One while playing Alone as Willow would be Much Appreciated.)

For anyone NOT on Speaking Terms with Pearl the bottles are useless and you can just leave them laying around.

Their usefulness though could be expanded upon, Maybe I could take foods like Fistful of Jam, or Honey and store them Into pearls jars and put them into ice box to significantly preserve their spoil time (this is just an example of how they can be used)

Here's a mod that cleans up said junk items, no one has the energy to go around the world picking up garbage.

The mod deletes items that have been left on the ground after a certain number of days(configurable).

Everyone knows that people love leaving junk around the world and pretending they don't see it, so here's a solution.

World Cleaner- https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2036585715

I doubt Klei will waste time adding a mob/mechanic to clean up junk when there are things people are more vocal about.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Thank You, But so far I haven’t managed to kill the Cookie Cutters to get the first 10 Shells for upgrading her Home, So me and Pearl aren’t on talking Terms.. I’m Playing as Willow Alone and I die trying.. Armor? Check. Football Helmet? Check. Spear or Hambat? Double Check. Extra Boat patches to fix any damage that may occur? Check, Check, Check!

I even tried to Force myself to go Insane and have BERNIE! Help me deal with them only for Bernie to just stand there doing nothing at all to help me. 

Its even worse that it seems to be based entirely on RNG % chance as to if you will even get a shell.

(any advices on how to deal with Cookie Cutters on Xbox One while playing Alone as Willow would be Much Appreciated.)

For anyone NOT on Speaking Terms with Pearl the bottles are useless and you can just leave them laying around.

Their usefulness though could be expanded upon, Maybe I could take foods like Fistful of Jam, or Honey and store them Into pearls jars and put them into ice box to significantly preserve their spoil time (this is just an example of how they can be used)

cookie cutters have 100 health and only hit back once for 20 health

hold your attack key to kill it :lol:

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

ist like saying trinkets are usueless bcos yuo didnt find pig king yet to trade with him for gold

34 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

ist like saying trinkets are usueless bcos yuo didnt find pig king yet to trade with him for gold

Yeah about that.. those don’t spawn in my world anymore. Ever since Wendy’s Refresh all trinkets have vanished. Like the Toy Crocodile or the Lone Glove. Since Wendy now quests to find ghostly trinkets.. I just naturally assumed that they were repurposed to be strictly a Wendy only thing now. *Shrugs*

At least with Pig King I don’t have to kill boat eating Cookie Cutters for a % chance to obtain the thing for upgrading Pearls Hermit home.

it’s doing more harm than good to remove those items, potentially  causing deaths for new players just for an ethereal benefit to lazy players brimming with resources.

although if the solution was craftable catcoon stumps, I’d be more than happy.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Honestly I nearly died trying to get those shells. They'll swim to you, so I suggest staying a safe distance away from them and letting them drift over one by one. Just make sure you have a good enough weapon to make quick work. A glass cutter or dark sword could really help you out so you don't get overwhelmed.

Archived