final character ideas?

I seriously want a Rock Den Lobster, can Live in caves.. can eat rocks, benefits greatly from stone fruit.

Can Provide team with Stones and Cutstones like Wormwood can living Logs without ever leaving base at the cost of it own health or sanity.

Its a heavily armored Tanky character- For Those Of you who don’t play MOBA type games a Tank Character is generally defined as Slower movement Speed But, What it lacks in Movement is made up for by having higher health and dealing more damage.

Rock Den Lobster can craft Rock Den structures on the Surface world to spawn the Rock Lobsters found in Caves.

Maybe they can even make it so that the lower on health you are as the rock lobster, in theory you’ve taken a lot of damage and all your rock skin armor has been chipped away and fallen off, so maybe the closer you get to dying.. the less Tanky it will be.. but the faster it can move since it’s no longer weighed down.

However.. without that extra weight the attack damage is obviously drastically reduced as well.

We do not have a character in all of DS’s existence that plays anything at all like this... So it’s brand new content! Only problem I see with it is some people can’t pull cave worlds on their PC’s so maybe make it not have to rely on Cave Content? idk..

Anything that isn't as "quirky" and "cutesy" as Wortox and Wurt. Wormwood gets a pass but just barely. People I know believe that Wortox and Wurt ruin the feel of DST. While Im not that extreme, I do think that they feel a tiny bit out of place.

I want more unexplored mechanics to be showcased, like wortox short range teleport and healing. Hopefully on a new character, but it can also be on the existing characters reworks.

Confusing/controlling hostile mobs could be a thing, also stealth is highly undeveloped in the game.

50 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

the next character WON'T be the "final" character.. right? Well whatever it is, it better be a human this time.. enough creatures 

So far, Klei only promised 4 completely brand new characters that are Exclusive to DST.

(They may decide to do more than 4 at some point later if they prove to be profitable enough and worth development costs.)

The characters we have so far in that list are Wortox, Wormwood, Wurt And one final most likely also non-human DLC Character, unimportant to the games canon story plot.

While most people count Wormwood as being DST exclusive, I do not.. since he is also in Hamlet, However in his place I count Winona who actually IS DST Exclusive. (Even If She IS Canon to the DST Story plot.. She’s still not in DS Solo, DS Shipwrecked, or DS Hamlet.)

Wagstaff And Charlie are considered as too “lore heavy” as they claim to be the 4th paid dlc Character, This does not mean that they WONT be added to the game.. (eventually) They just won’t be this 4th playable promised character that’s coming.

Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff would also be counted as character Refreshes instead of being Brand New DST Exclusive Characters. 

That only leaves one character left unaccounted for... Charlie, In Which whom I seriously hope is unlockable by Beating DST- in the same Manor as Unlocking Maxwell in Single player Don’t Starve.

————————————

I also want to point out that the above is purely my own & the community’s pure Speculation- Klei can decide to do whatever they want, So if they decide Charlie is the final character even if she is lore heavy.. then that’s Their Call & I’m not about to argue against it.

Also if they decide that Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff WONT be Free Refreshes like Warly, I am equally okay with that decision as well- Because I know for a fact Myself And @Canis Would purchase Walani all over again.

lol (course I cant say for certain Canis would... But I ping’d em anyway because #Walani!) 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Also if they decide that Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff WONT be Free Refreshes like Warly, I am equally okay with that decision as well- Because I know for a fact Myself And @Canis Would purchase Walani all over again.

lol (course I cant say for certain Canis would... But I ping’d em anyway because #Walani!) 

How DARE you assume I wouldn't pour my life savings for Walani.

Jokes aside, I feel like Walani would be more befitting of a free, RoT-focused character so people can better explore and interact with the new content. If we want a non-human, non-lore heavy character that represents SW (as Wormwood represents Hamlet), then I'd say Wilbur might have a decent shot. He doesn't require that much of a rework, just some little things here and there like being the king of splumonkeys (and maybe craftable splumonkey pods and plantable cave bananas). Although, it's speculated that he originates from the real world and not the Constant, like other DLC characters, so eh.

I don't have any idea who will be the final character, but for the 4th DLC Character...hmmm... Billy ! I want a Goat from The Gorge, even if it's not Billy, just a Goat from The Gorge. Or maybe, a mob that will be more cave related ? I don't know, I just share random ideas.

3 hours ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

I don't have any idea who will be the final character, but for the 4th DLC Character...hmmm... Billy ! I want a Goat from The Gorge, even if it's not Billy, just a Goat from The Gorge. Or maybe, a mob that will be more cave related ? I don't know, I just share random ideas.

We already have Billy from the Gorge! They just change genders upon mermification :)

3 hours ago, Canis said:

Wilbur might have a decent shot. He doesn't require that much of a rework, just some little things here and there like being the king of splumonkeys (and maybe craftable splumonkey pods and plantable cave bananas). Although, it's speculated that he originates from the real world and not the Constant, like other DLC characters, so eh.

the monkey man? real? 

9 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Whatever it is, I'm hoping it's something a tad more original than "cute kid version of existing mob". I'm looking at you, Wurt.

and wortox and webber and even

Maxwell if you squint really hard :)

8 hours ago, Canis said:

Anything that isn't as "quirky" and "cutesy" as Wortox and Wurt. Wormwood gets a pass but just barely. People I know believe that Wortox and Wurt ruin the feel of DST. While Im not that extreme, I do think that they feel a tiny bit out of place.

Willow fits "quirky" personality and cutesy is filled by glommer, catcoons critters, baby beefalo, even pigs if you mean stuff like wurts broken english, honestly, I think a human dlc character would be weird, also wormwood is the most "quirky"/"cutesy" character out of these.

9 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Can be pretty lore friendly if it used nightmare fuel to bend the minds of things to do it.

sounds like maxwell :) 

10 hours ago, Lovely Roses said:

yeah I mean I like Wortox but the whole thing about him being a imp feels pretty out of place...

Does it? Krampus has been a thing since early on in vanilla, Maxwell was frequently characterized as a demon before the lore was fully figured out, and we got Klaus as recently as ANR. I don't think there's anything out of place about Wortox being an imp.

10 hours ago, Canis said:

Anything that isn't as "quirky" and "cutesy" as Wortox and Wurt... ...People I know believe that Wortox and Wurt ruin the feel of DST.

I can't really understand that, personally. What specifically is it about them that ruins the feel of DST? It's the same game that has a insane shapeshifting lumberjack who constantly talks about how much he loves Canada and that the birds are plotting to kill him, a monkey that runs around on all fours and throws poop at his enemies, a robot who constantly talks about how disgusting organics are and says a science machine reminds them of their mother... quirky's really nothing new, is it? Especially if you extend it past just playable characters, with stuff like Scottish walrus hunting parties, butterflies made of butter, little mandrakes that follow you around to meep at you annoyingly, a human-shaped effigy stuffed with meat and covered in facial hair which allows you to come back from the dead, a one-man band that causes you to literally go insane from how difficult it is to keep up all those instruments... and all of that's just in vanilla, that's the feel that was established way way early on. Don't Starve is such a silly, quirky series, and I see absolutely nothing about Wortox and Wurt that doesn't fit right in with that.

Also it's questionable to call Wortox or Wurt "cutesy." Wortox is just a bit fluffy, and Wurt... well, Wurt's as cute as Ro Bin, which is to say she's super ugly and gross, which just happens to wrap around to cute for most people (including me.)

25 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

-snip-

It's the subtle things, really. Let me grab an example from Wurt's speech file:
WATERBALLOON = "Don't worry, won't throw at you... (hee-hee)",
When I first saw this in-game, it threw me off a lot and gave me mixed, mostly negative feelings. It felt too cutesy/quirky for DST, mostly because DS/T never established use of brackets like this as part of the style. It feels very off.

Another, more prominent example:
            REVIVER = "Thank you very much! (Me say that right?)",

Im personally on the fence about Wortox (moreso than the people I know), but to this day I've always thought that Wortox conflicts with the previously-established sketch-y, Tim Burton-y style that the other characters share. Maybe it's that he's too colorful?

53 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

(snip)

The problem here is that new characters are really kid-friendly. Which yes, doesn't meant all that since the worst thing ever related to a character was Willow saying 'Holy crap', but still. Ds/t has built itself a reputation among community of being (mildly) creepy and straying away from this will obviously upset the community.

I mean here are the character traits of the 3 new characters:

Wortox- constantly rhymes and jokes around

Wormwood- makes silly, childlish comments

Wurt- makes silly, childlish comments with a hint of pig-racism

Webber was the og to make childlish comments so don't try to use him as an argument. One character that's silly is perfectly ok but 4 of them is a bit too much.

8 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

The problem here is that new characters are really kid-friendly. Which yes, doesn't meant all that since the worst thing ever related to a character was Willow saying 'Holy crap', but still. Ds/t has built itself a reputation among community of being (mildly) creepy and straying away from this will obviously upset the community.

The problem with this argument is that it implies silly and creepy can't exist in the same character, which is just not true.

Wortox - Constantly rhymes and jokes around. He's also a playful imp in the first place due to accidentally awakening some kind of magic powers and absorbing the soul of his caretaker and only friend, frequently has to reassure children that he won't eat their ghosts (because that's also a thing he does, he eats souls,) and is implied to be able to kill someone with just a simple touch.
Wormwood - Makes silly, childish comments. He's also the only member of some kind of plant-based species created by a gem from the moon, and as such is unable to ever truly fit in with any other creature, hence his title "the Lonesome," 
Wurt - Makes silly, childish comments due to being an actual child. Another big character trait of hers is that she keeps fish out of water as pets, and gets sad when they inevitably die.

They're silly, they're quirky, they're a bit creepy, they're Don't Starve Characters, just like any other.

54 minutes ago, Canis said:

WATERBALLOON = "Don't worry, won't throw at you... (hee-hee)",
REVIVER = "Thank you very much! (Me say that right?)",

...I can totally understand this one, though. Personally I think it's mostly because most all of Wurt's quotes are written with the implication that there's some other survivor around for her to talk to, while usually the characters don't acknowledge each other at all unless specifically examining each other. But still, I understand why it would be jarring.

38 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Webber was the og to make childlish comments so don't try to use him as an argument. One character that's silly is perfectly ok but 4 of them is a bit too much.

This can also be seen in animation shorts. DS/T has gradually shifted from sketch-y and desaturated, to colorful and cartoonic.

Old, sketchy/more desaturated color pallete examples:

Spoiler

(Side note, looking back on the Forge trailer, it's really... How do you say it... Jankier than other official animations?

Gorge Trailer feels more like a weird cross of both styles (perhaps the turning point?) so I'll throw it in a separate spoiler.

Spoiler

Newer trailers, having a more colorful palette and smoother animation (Im excluding character animations because they're personalized and frankly, easy targets.)

Spoiler

The following is the worst offender in terms of color pallete.

You can easily compare the tonal shift by comparing Wilson's face in the DST and ANR launch trailer thumbnails to Wilson's face in the Hook, Line and Inker update trailer thumbnail.

Don't get me wrong, the animations have a great charm to them, and I love to see my favorite cast come to life, BUT It feels like Klei is trying to move on from DS/T's original design aspects, which a lot of people (myself included) have fallen in love with.

2 hours ago, Canis said:

BUT It feels like Klei is trying to move on from DS/T's original design aspects, which a lot of people (myself included) have fallen in love with.

This. I'm definitelly afraid that Klei has just decided to turn dst into a game 100% aimed at children.

Also when it comes to the new trailers- I don't get that folded paper-like texture on characters' faces

Ok but we're going off topic. I'll create a separate thread

Archived