Meal Lice - Pickled Meal

Hi folks

Do I miss something, or there's no point to cook Meal Lice into Pickled Meal using the grill ?

I mean, 1800kcal grisly (-1 moral), to make 1800kcal grisly, does it even make sense ?

Should we have more kcal, or better quality ?

image.png.9bfdc1319628e9343484dbded36c269d.png

Thanks for your opinion !

15 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Hi folks

Do I miss something, or there's no point to cook Meal Lice into Pickled Meal using the grill ?

I mean, 1800kcal grisly (-1 moral), to make 180kcal grisly, does it even make sense ?

Should we have more kcal, or better quality ?

image.png.9bfdc1319628e9343484dbded36c269d.png

Thanks for your opinion !

The only reason for pickled meal is that it spoils significantly slower than normal foods. 

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

meal2.png.0094636c26a3b8f54068e3fa53eb03b8.pngmeal1.png.ceec4f2db0f3834bb3392534ebfb72bd.png

1 meal lice from the plant is 600kcal.

1800kcal of meal lice is used for 1800kcal of pickled meal. 

So, 3 meal lices are used per 1 pickled meal. My question remains. The only difference as Beowulf noticed is spoil time, which is more or less useless as everyone stores in sterile atmosphere.

2 hours ago, lee1026 said:

In the early game, storage is also very limited, so the compression of 3 orders of food into one is also helpful.

Yea, but in the early game, you probably aren't keeping a few hundred thousand calories in storage ;)

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

Before all this fancy staff with liquid reservoir in chlorine, there was no easy way to disinfect polluted water from toilets.

So, water was contaminated with food poisoning. After filtering in sieve there was polluted dirt, also contaminated.

After composting it, we have a contaminated dirt.

And after using this dirt once on a Mealwood farm tile, this Mealwood also became permanently contaminated with food poisoning bacteria.

It was before bacteria was made meaningless. They was deadly. And only way to put contaminated Meal Lice in food was cook it on grille.

So, this recipe was perfect solution.

Now we have hundreds of way to kill bacteria. And even if we don't -- who cares? Bacteria cannot harm dupes anymore. So, this recipe became useless

27 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

Before all this fancy staff with liquid reservoir in chlorine, there was no easy way to disinfect polluted water from toilets.

So, water was contaminated with food poisoning. After filtering in sieve there was polluted dirt, also contaminated.

After composting it, we have a contaminated dirt.

And after using this dirt once on a Mealwood farm tile, this Mealwood also became permanently contaminated with food poisoning bacteria.

It was before bacteria was made meaningless. They was deadly. And only way to put contaminated Meal Lice in food was cook it on grille.

So, this recipe was perfect solution.

Now we have hundreds of way to kill bacteria. And even if we don't -- who cares? Bacteria cannot harm dupes anymore. So, this recipe became useless

Even when slimelung was lethal and food poisoning made dupes vomit, I still never made pickled meal.  As long as you had sinks outside the bathroom and put your sieves in a room in the back of the bathroom, your dupes didn't get sick.  Even if you had the worst immunity, it took hundreds of cycles for a dupe to get sick from food poisoning, and by that point you could easily make vitamin chews. 

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

Even when slimelung was lethal and food poisoning made dupes vomit, I still never made pickled meal.  As long as you had sinks outside the bathroom and put your sieves in a room in the back of the bathroom, your dupes didn't get sick.  Even if you had the worst immunity, it took hundreds of cycles for a dupe to get sick from food poisoning, and by that point you could easily make vitamin chews. 

Same here. Fatal and lethal sickness was a challenge, but not a really bad one. 

4 hours ago, cpy said:

Hatches seems to eat 0.4kg of pickled meal instead of 1.2kg meal lice per day. I call this as an absolute win.

That's because pickled meal packs 3x the calories into the same mass.  Think of it as concentrating 3 meal lice into one.

6 hours ago, cpy said:

Hatches seems to eat 0.4kg of pickled meal instead of 1.2kg meal lice per day. I call this as an absolute win.

Unless, of course, you're trying to get coal from the hatches and you just cut their output from 600g down to 200g. 

4 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Unless, of course, you're trying to get coal from the hatches and you just cut their output from 600g down to 200g. 

Of course, you should be using sage hatches for that :)

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Of course, you should be using sage hatches for that :)

True. But 1.2kg of coal per cycle per sage hatch from meal lice or 400g from pickled meal is still worthless compared to 140kg of coal per cycle from eating dirt, algae, fertilizer, polluted dirt or slime.

Which was my actual point. If hatches are for coal, don't feed them anything "Edible". 

Archived