A thought I had

So oddly I imagined what might happen once everyone in the constant is free... Either 1. Them waking up like it was just all a bad dream.  2. Them coming to our time in 2020 to only wish to go back....  Or 3. Them actually enjoying our time without any penalty of how long they've been gone for... Which is 40 years.

Or.. due to DST being dark & slightly creepy anyway, as soon as they leave the Constant they see the world outside as it is thousands of years later.. and time catches up to them and they all age into dust particles.

Its a sad ending.. but an ending that allows more people to end up trapped in the future for a sequel!

If we ever do get a concrete ending, I'd like to get a neat little sneak peek into each of the survivor's lives after returning home, or even their futures after. I can think of a few possible happy endings for the cast:

Wilson - Returns to the world with newfound knowledge, and the world recognizes his efforts in a new science, never before seen.

Willow - Perhaps she becomes a "myth" or legend, one that details a flame whisperer who walked among fires. Or perhaps the forests she burned sprout new life from the ashes, as nature always finds a way.

Wolfgang - Revered as the "Strongest Man in the World!", though in more ways than one. (I can see him settling down with a family of his own, at a farm reminiscent of his past, according to his quotes.)

Wendy - (probably in the future?) After finally accepting Abigail's passing, she opens a flower shop to find that her sister still lingers in each flower she blooms. The flowers she sells are especially well known for comforting those in mourning.

WX-78 - (I liked the idea of WX-78 mysteriously vanishing, plotting something in the shadows. Unknown if it's plans ever come into fruition after the time spent with the survivors.)

Wickerbottom - With time to self reflect and the time she's spent as a survivor and a metaphorical "grandmother" to the others, she self published many critically acclaimed novels based on her own survival experiences. Her knowledge was proven to save the lives of those lost in the woods with valuable tips and steps in survival. (If she ends up passing away in the future, I could see a library being built in her honor in her hometown.)

Woodie - A true man of the woods till the end, Woodie lives a humble and self reliant life in his own cabin in the woods with his beloved axe, Lucy. Perhaps he opens/aids in supplying timber to help shelter those without a home.(?)

Wes - ...

Maxwell - (assuming the best possible outcome for Charlie) Returns to the world, though unknowingly to the public eye. Maxwell, the Great was dead, but lived on as a ghost of his former self. He takes on his former Moniker, William Carter, and on his path to forgiveness, he becomes the assistant to Charlie, and from then the spotlight shines for a new age.

Wigfrid - A true Valkyrie, through and through, she perfected the act and would go on to appear in countless acts and plays starring vikings, no matter the context, be it opera or staged fighting. She was awarded with a noble acting award and lived her life as a warrior of the stage.

Webber - Fearing his current condition, Webber was hesitant to show himself to his family home, though it didn't take much for his family to instantly recognize his familiar mannerisms, he was warmly welcomed back with tears of joy. His spider half had no idea what was going on, but enjoyed the rest of their childhood together.

Winona - After finally reconnecting with her sister, Winona established stronger bonds to her family, she continued working with her incredible and undeniable work ethic, and even pioneered a few inventions of her own.

Warly - After spending some time away from Maman, he had feared she would've forgotten him completely, it turns out, in his absence, Maman's condition appeared to have improved, she had become ever so slightly more sociable in her state, and on the rare occurrence had mentioned Warly by name. (Her condition probably wouldn't be completely cured, as Alzheimer's doesn't seem to have a cure, especially in the time period?)

5 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

Wilson - Returns to the world with newfound knowledge, and the world recognizes his efforts in a new science, never before seen.

And then unintentionally creates the dark future of Invisible Inc while the Hot Lava GAT comics act as childhood indoctination for the economy.:wilson_ecstatic:

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

And then unintentionally creates the dark future of Invisible Inc while the Hot Lava GAT comics act as childhood indoctination for the economy.:wilson_ecstatic:

Yes this is perfect in every way that spins all the way into a circle finding his friend make a story about survivors in the wild.

And then it loops all over again with new people.

2 hours ago, Axelocke said:

Wendy - (probably in the future?) After finally accepting Abigail's passing, she opens a flower shop to find that her sister still lingers in each flower she blooms. The flowers she sells are especially well known for comforting those in mourning.

This is so wholesome. I love it

4 hours ago, Canis said:

Them enjoying being in 2020?

In this economy?

The economy is doing better than it has in awhile. Up until Corona Virus things were looking really good. Just sayin'. 

I don't feel like the Survivors will ever return home or get back to our world at all. That would be sweet and all, but we all know Klei isn't going to start making happy endings now. Whatever conclusion DST reaches will undoubtedly still be a dark one. 

Honestly them coming to 2020/the future would be pretty depressing but also bittersweet, It's almost been a century since they've come back and everyone they've known is dead or eldery (I mean people can live up to hundred so there's a slight chance). But they all also have a second chance and since Webber and Wendy are still kids they'll properly adapt faster then everyone else, I love the idea of time moving outside of the constant, for has felt a week is probably a month in the real world!

I hope they never come back, I love the dark endings that Klei games typically have.

Don't Starve, Mark of the Ninja, Invisible Inc, all fantastic endings. I've not played ONI much but going off some artwork I've seen... damn.

My hopes are either 1) They are all stuck in the constant forever and have to live with it (likely going to be the ending, if there ever is one) or 2) The shadows escape to the real world alongside the other characters, and everything gets apocalyptic.

I wrote this at 1 AM in the freaking morning about the final boss: Imagine the ending of dst being you saving Charlie and you have to kill the Grue like it looks like it’s going to end but then a cut scene interrupts and the Grue’s like: “This isn’t over yet...” and you have to sail around finding telepotato stuff with radio, to get to the Grue battle area in Max’s old place. And it plays this kick butt epic music remixin the insane sounds into some boss music And the movement would 100% be like all the shadow creatures you’ve fought in the past like some crazy phases of a mega boss.

23 hours ago, Axelocke said:

Willow - Perhaps she becomes a "myth" or legend, one that details a flame whisperer who walked among fires. Or perhaps the forests she burned sprout new life from the ashes, as nature always finds a way.

Willlow as an orphan with a rough life, is hinted several times to be seeking new friends and a new family. Perhaps a fitting happy ending for her is to make her own family and keep the other DST characters as life-long friends. 

23 hours ago, Axelocke said:

Wes - ...

He should probably replace Charlie as the main antagonist , and become a ruthless (and still weird) conqueror of realms with the gateway powers at his will.

I always had the idea that the people would be returned to the same day when they were taken away, so that virtually no time has passed for them, since nobody seems to age in the Constant. So they could return home, having grown and changed as people, and perhaps make their lives better than they would have been had they never been kidnapped to the wilderness.

But knowing Klei, it'll all turn out to be some kind of eternal purgatory for them all. They can't ever go home, because they're actually already dead, and this is their afterlife forever, or something like that.

Still, I like to imagine everyone being able to go home as better people and live fulfilling lives as a result of their magical wilderness adventure, like the wonderful ideas written by @Axelocke previously.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:17 PM, kiwikenobi said:

go home as better people and live fulfilling lives as a result of their magical wilderness adventure,

*Go home going power mad and add danger to the world from their lives of being a isekai protagonist... JUST AS THEM PLANNED.

Archived