Most useless items

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now I am really confused as all hell, you call something useless.. I try to give it a reason to no longer be useless and then this is the kind of reply I get.

No one is asking for vests to be useful.  They are only pointing out that they are useless.

lol, Dying instantly without its use is an over exaggeration- you won’t be able to survive without it.. but you won’t just instantly croak over dead.

Does it really matter if you die in 1 day or 2 if you are absolutely required to have XYZ to live?  The aspect of DST I find the least enjoyable is after you've lived a few hundred days and hound waves are only a few days apart, large in number - not hard to fend off, but you have to set up tooth trap fields everywhere.  Days spend setting up and resetting tooth traps.  Wanna go do something fun?  NOPE, wait for a hound wave first, then reset your tooth traps, THEN you can go do the part of the game you actually want to do.

At least we can base in the caves...

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now I am really confused as all hell, you call something useless.. I try to give it a reason to no longer be useless and then this is the kind of reply I get.

This isn't a good way to make an item useful, though. Rather than actually buffing the item to give it better mechanics, you'd simply be making it required. This kind of attitude always reminds me of cave holes, those little holes in the ruins that have some loot stuck in the middle of them. Why do cave holes exist? Because Klei wanted the lazy forager to be used more, but instead of actually making it more useful they simply made it required for a certain task. By making a vest the only item that stops you from dying to extreme cold, you aren't making the vest any more useful, you're just making it required. Rather than actually putting in the effort to buff the item in some way, you're essentially turning it into a key that you need in order to unlock a specific keyhole.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

This isn't a good way to make an item useful, though. Rather than actually buffing the item to give it better mechanics, you'd simply be making it required. This kind of attitude always reminds me of cave holes, those little holes in the ruins that have some loot stuck in the middle of them. Why do cave holes exist? Because Klei wanted the lazy forager to be used more, but instead of actually making it more useful they simply made it required for a certain task. By making a vest the only item that stops you from dying to extreme cold, you aren't making the vest any more useful, you're just making it required. Rather than actually putting in the effort to buff the item in some way, you're essentially turning it into a key that you need in order to unlock a specific keyhole.

Clap CLAP.

This girl knows.

Okay, instead of turning Breezy Vests into necessities, @Mike23Ua, how 'bout we give it Winter Hat level insulation? This justifies its cost and negative of removing 8 potential slots from us. You might think it still sucks, but with its sanity regen that nothing else craftable for the first Winter (unless you are lucky enough to farm and get hound's teeth for dapper vests) can give, it will be viable.

Unless you base near the Desert/have a wormhole that brings you there, sanity will be a problem for you. Sure, experienced players will lament over "Insanity great" blah blah but as a newbie you will appreciate the sanity gain. For Dapper Vests, we could increase its sanity gain to Tam o' Shanter.

Now before you furiously type out a paragraph about how bad it will make the Tam o' Shanter be, please keep in mind that:

A Dapper Vest only gives 60 insulation and lasts for 10 days. It can't even last a Default Winter length. It also costs 8 hound's teeth and removes the use of a backpack, insulation pack, piggyback and Krampus sack.

Now we look at the Tam o' Shanter. It gives 120 insulation, lasts for 25 days and has a 25% chance to drop from a Mactusk. It only removes the use of a helmet which can be easily carried around and switched on when necessary.

With that, a Dapper Vest could be used for players that are unfortunate enough to not get a Tam o' Shanter in Winter or used alongside the Tam o' Shanter to boost the sanity gain to 13.2 per minute. It will still be worse than the Tam o' Shanter but still good enough that you think about making it as Wickerbottom/Wortox/sanity problematic survivors or if you don't get a Tam o' Shanter for the first Winter.

58 minutes ago, LunarCat said:

a decorative barricade*

And also many extremely functional barricades. 

For most enemies in the game, statues act as indestructible walls. These are used in many late game farms, including catapult bunnymen farms, moonstone event farms, varg farms, hound killing rooms, and actual base defense. As enemies don't route around statues and simply get stuck, this means that you can actually protect small bases of important materials with statues.

Here are a few examples from other people: 

Posted by Frank:

322330_screenshots_20190724065838_1.jpg

posted by Bloodpactmermaid and Katie Elle:

deerclops.jpeg

posted by Rob, an example of a fun glitches that statues enable:

20190905035403_1.jpg

30 minutes ago, Desblat said:

moving batbat from totally useless tier into useful only for one char tier.

I also think that the Turn of the Tides offered a small new avenue for it to shine, where I find it quite useful and helpful in the Lunar Island where the biggest negative aspect of the item, the insane sanity drain is a positive. 

TotT gave an even better buff to Ocuvigil imo. If this thread was made before August, I'd be the first one to point out the Ocuvigil, but now that it can be placed on boats to reveal naval discoveries to everyone present on the surface, as well as where the boat is and who are sailing with the boat at any given time, it became one of the best honorary seafaring items in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if it was moved to the seafaring tab instead, or better the lonesome cartography tab.

6 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

This This is why I don't like Hamlet seasons its just required 1 item BOOM season done

31 minutes ago, Desblat said:

Btw does anyone craft honey paper healing item? 

Papurys in its recipe makes it way too expensive compaired to healing food that you can mass produce. 

I do when I have a reed trap and not playing Wicker, easy mass produced healing

53 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

people dont know the difference between useless and not essential

If you're gonna take it literally then there's only Glommer's Wing. All the other items have their uses despite not being essential.

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

Btw does anyone craft honey paper healing item? 

Papurys in its recipe makes it way too expensive compaired to healing food that you can mass produce. 

I do when playing Wormwood. Mainly because thats the only true effective healin item for tougher bosses. Sure, glands and salves work but when fighting fuelweaver, you need any leg up you can get.

4 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

If you're gonna take it literally then there's only Glommer's Wing. All the other items have their uses despite not being essential.

I think glommers wings gelp you make Glomglom (pet) but yeah it uses are pretty limited. The most useless item imo is the Potted Succulent. Its a item and its for A E S T E T I C S but it literally doesn't do anything else.

4 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Not since Wormwood came to town

Healing Salves or Honey Poultice is still more reliable to obtain in bulk imo, rather then farming cave entrances or bat dens for a bunch of one item.

Honestly it's something I'd never farm for.too much grinding for too little reward.

7 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I wonder why I rember it needing wings?

Probably because that would have made more sense, made glom glom more valuable, rarer and a worthy concellation prize for losing or butchering glommer, while also giving the wings at least something to do. The goop already had many applications from top tier fertilizer and fuel to being an insanity pill.

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Probably because that would have made more sense, made glom glom more valuable, rarer and a worthy concellation prize for losing or butchering glommer, while also giving the wings at least something to do. The goop already had many applications from top tier fertilizer and fuel to being an insanity pill.

They probably made it take goop to avoid players killing glommer in public servers for the pet, when others want him alive for the constant goop and sanity.

I change my pick, I want to instead go with boats as my option.

why??? Because people don’t actually build boats and sail the sea as was intended with their design.... they simply just toss a whole bunch of Boat Kit Platforms all over everywhere.

So my pick is Boats, used the proper way.

Archived