Most useless items

wes' balloons, unfortunately. it makes me curious about wes' rework though. klei will either buff the existing item, or add something new, and hes one rework where i have literally no idea what they'll do. it is. a wild card. and it is exciting to me since i main him y'know 

i do joke about him getting a balloon mech or having a magical girl transformation. 

Pick/Axe.
latest?cb=20130814161939
Yeah, it's nice to use when you get it for free from an ornate chest.
But crafting it is a waste of two thulecite. You already go through gold pickaxes rapidly in the ruins when mining ancient statues. It has the same durability as a single gold axe or a single gold pick. 20% increase in efficiency doesn't justify the cost. Even if you make it to turn a low% gold pick into a 100% pick/axe, you still need a gold axe to craft it and you will likely not even bring an axe to the ruins in the first place, unless you carry gold with you, which you will just be spending on more gold pickaxes anyway.

Another item that comes to mind for me is the Bat Bat, and on the same level of "useless" as the Pick/Axe @SonicDen220 mentioned.

If you find one in one of those labyrinth chests then you can use it for some quick heals without having to waste healing items but crafting it is a complete waste of time and resources.

5 bat wings takes too much luck to get and is just not worth the effort to farm for and the two living logs are better suited for dark swords which do way more damage, also while purple gems late-game are practically a dime a dozen, it's still not worth it in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, Terra_Zina said:

Hambat. Why make bat of ham when you can eat ham instead?

- This post was brought to you by Wigfrid Gang

Hear me out. Why eat ham when you can make bat of ham to get MORE ham?

- This post was brought to you by an ex-Wigfrid Gang member

22 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Hear me out. Why eat ham when you can make bat of ham to get MORE ham?

- This post was brought to you by an ex-Wigfrid Gang member

The ham bat is a weapon fit for the dining halls!
And with it, The Wigfrids shall fill the dining halls WITH MORE HAM!

A few of my mention:

(Unless playing warly for his food debuff) About half the crock pot recipes in the game. Many of them can be made into better food with their components than what their specialized recipe calls for.

Stuff like Fish tacos, Ceviche, Unagi -better used for - Gumbo, surf and turf, fishsticks, sushi rolls, meatballs (or moqueca for warly)

Asparagus soup- better used for vegetable stinger

Jam, Stuffed eggplant, ratatouille, kabobs: all usually better to just eat the ingredients straight up where available

Weak crock pot dishes mainly serve as a way to use ingredients in a pinch before they spoil, since cooking will usually set the spoiler timer over 50%

Would have said scalemail, lower protection than it's base component and sets things on fire...but it does have the benefit of functioning like an infinite durability sanity item in the meantime.

I’m noticing EVERYONE say that the vests, are useless. This is hilarious to me because when I suggest harsh weather that Demands you use them or Die... Everyone reacts with a confused face.

—————————————

Its pretty simple really- If you set Winter too be very long, you Deserve to Suffer snow blizzards which make your Thermal Stones grow cold quicker, Without a Winter Hat, A Thermal Stone, a nice Winter Vest & the occasional Campfire to keep warm you are going to die..

And if you don’t set Winter to being very long and instead keep it Default, these harsh Storms wont ever exist.

OR Another Suggestion I had came up with was the Idea of giving each weather season it’s own unique island that exists out in the Ocean where on those particular islands it’s always that season of weather, Which can be found over here: 

I want to eventually get around to updating that topic with not just the enemy types but some other stuff as well, such as Petrified tree’s being able to exist within the Summer Biome.., because why wouldn’t a Stone tree exist in a Biome that’s Always Summer?

18 hours ago, Electroely said:

The whirly fan isn't useless at all. It's meant to help players with summer if they're recently joined and are unprepared for it, and it does just that. I've often joined some friends on their worlds during summer and made it to their base or a cave just fine thanks to the extra cooling the fan provides. I think for an item to be useless, it has to have no good use whatsoever, whether it is due to being outclassed by another item or just not worth the costs it has.

You might want to read through the whirly fan's code and run the math, I'm pretty sure they're just pretty parasols that only work while you're running around but without the benefit of waterproofing.

13 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

Rabbit earmuffs, phlegm, and hay walls. Grass suits come close but they don't have to be prototyped so they can be marginally useful if you're wandering around in the savannah or desert prior to starting a base; rabbit earmuffs require a science machine, provide minimal warmth, and get used up really fast. I've used them, like, once in the five years I've played DST.

I got killed by the clockworks in Chapter 4 of Adventure Mode because I didn't notice the burst of damage that got through from the attack that broke Maxwell's first suit of armor.  I was feeling impatient and just rushed through Chapter 1 again, but I couldn't get all the Things before the first brief winter of A Cold Reception.  You know what got me through two days of winter?  That's right.  Rabbit.  Earmuffs.  Just the fact you can throw them together on short notice with nothing more than some traps, some twigs, and a shovel makes them useful in an emergency.

1 hour ago, TemporaryMan said:

You might want to read through the whirly fan's code and run the math, I'm pretty sure they're just pretty parasols that only work while you're running around but without the benefit of waterproofing.

That wouldn't make them useless. Pretty parasols cost 3 grass (which is much less available in summer, unlike twigs which are available year-round from twiggy trees) and 5 more petals than a whirly fan costs. Considering the temporary use of the whirly fan, it's still a better option for very early-game summer insulation.

Also, I think you're the one who needs to read through the whirly fan's code...

Spoiler

Looking at prefabs/minifan.lua, you can see on line 113 to 115 the following lines of code:

inst:AddComponent("heater")
    inst.components.heater:SetThermics(false, true)
    inst.components.heater.equippedheat = TUNING.MINIFAN_COOLER

SetThermics(false, true) makes it not exothermic (hence the "false" boolean) and endothermic. Meaning it'll take heat in rather than release it, effectively providing a cooling effect.

And in case you think it's just fancy talk for insulation, the code for the insulating effect is separate, present on lines 119 to 121 in the same file.

You can test this in-game, too. During summer, if the temperature is too hot for a tree's cooling effect to be enough to save you from overheating, equip a whirly fan and start running around the tree. Your temperature will drop below overheating point. You can try the same thing with a pretty parasol, but it won't work because the pretty parasol lacks the cooling effect.

Probably only Xbox (and maybe playstation) players would get this, I'm putting this down anyways:

People who try to join my group via my post on Xbox, even though I had a #ExperiencedPlayersOnly in my post, only for me to view that person's profile and see that person hasn't even survived 100 days. Seriously, how can people like that think that they're experienced and therefore think they can help me when my post says something like "Going to fight Shadow Pieces, need a Wolfgang"??

I know that wasn't an "item", but I got kind of worked up this morning when I was trying to find real experienced players.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m noticing EVERYONE say that the vests, are useless. This is hilarious to me because when I suggest harsh weather that Demands you use them or Die... Everyone reacts with a confused face.

—————————————

Its pretty simple really- If you set Winter too be very long, you Deserve to Suffer snow blizzards which make your Thermal Stones grow cold quicker, Without a Winter Hat, A Thermal Stone, a nice Winter Vest & the occasional Campfire to keep warm you are going to die..

And if you don’t set Winter to being very long and instead keep it Default, these harsh Storms wont ever exist.

A lot of people find breezy vests useless because they take up the body equipment slot, give 60 insulation (i.e. is part of the lowest-tier insulation equipment in the game), and has an unreasonable cost of 8 silk. For comparison, the winter hat which gives twice the insulation only costs 4 silk, not to mention the tediousness of getting a koalephant trunk compared to 4 beefalo wool. 

The thermal stone's cooling rate is completely independent of anything; wearing winter gear doesn't affect your thermal stone's cooling speed whatsoever. Many players survive and thrive in winter with nothing but a single thermal stone and a stack of logs, grass, and twigs.

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

Hide contents

Looking at prefabs/minifan.lua, you can see on line 113 to 115 the following lines of code:

inst:AddComponent("heater")
    inst.components.heater:SetThermics(false, true)
    inst.components.heater.equippedheat = TUNING.MINIFAN_COOLER

SetThermics(false, true) makes it not exothermic (hence the "false" boolean) and endothermic. Meaning it'll take heat in rather than release it, effectively providing a cooling effect.

And in case you think it's just fancy talk for insulation, the code for the insulating effect is separate, present on lines 119 to 121 in the same file.

You can test this in-game, too. During summer, if the temperature is too hot for a tree's cooling effect to be enough to save you from overheating, equip a whirly fan and start running around the tree. Your temperature will drop below overheating point. You can try the same thing with a pretty parasol, but it won't work because the pretty parasol lacks the cooling effect.

If it's no trouble, could you tell me where you and everyone else get these lines of code from?

7 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

If it's no trouble, could you tell me where you and everyone else get these lines of code from?

If you go to your installation of Don't Starve Together, you can browse to data/databundles and you'll find a file called scripts.zip. You can extract it somewhere and take a look. Most of the files there are written in the Lua language.

5 minutes ago, Electroely said:

If you go to your installation of Don't Starve Together, you can browse to data/databundles and you'll find a file called scripts.zip. You can extract it somewhere and take a look. Most of the files there are written in the Lua language.

Found it; thanks!

12 hours ago, Xenologist said:

I think night lights aren't put out by the flingo, but that might not be correct since i've never made one. Perhaps it could also be an incineration altar to get rid of chests full of hounds teeth and worlds full of rot and stingers.

Console players can't use it unfortunately, but there is a GODSEND mod called "Spike Trap" where you can make the surplus bee stingers useful!  The trap isn't as strong as a tooth trap, but is pretty cheap to make and you can put them close together, so get enough (and that's NOT A PROBLEM, after a while...) and it's still good.

Hounds' teeth--oh, no, heaven forfend I have enough tooth traps to defend my main AND satellite bases....spare me, from this horrible bounty...  Rot? You mean the booster shot and fertilizer stuff?   

(Yes I know that in long-running worlds played in by lots of people these things not despawning can ACTUALLY be a problem, I know...but really, hounds' teeth and rot are a couple of my favourite resources.)

I've been a member of the Wigfrid Gang (in fact, my very best run ever was as Wigfrid) but I'm afraid my pigskins tend to be budgeted for umbrellas/football helmets, before Ham Bats.  Remember:  I use random seasons, and the longest a harsh season can be is 40 days, the longest a "nice" one can be is FIFTY, and umbrellas help with spring _and_ summer.  I also like to have a few extras in a chest to help new arrivals.

Speaking of weather, I've _lived_ on a world with 40-day winters every single year, and never, EVER, actually _needed_ a vest.*  If the fan suggestions about different things that can happen in seasons came true, maybe, but for now that's just forum talk.  ("If you set winters to long, you DESERVE to suffer blizzards" _what_?!  Deserve? You say that like it's a freaking Judgement or something!  Like that automatically somehow makes you a bad or stupid person!  What if you just..._like_ winter?  What if you're doing a challenge?  What if you get a long winter by _accident_? "DESERVE", what the beep.)  

Anyway I was fine with a winter hat, thermal stone (although with a mod to make them not break, because they don't in singleplayer so the Together way just _bugs_ me) and fire materials to plunk down right on the spot whenever needed.  Sailor Chaotica Sez:  NEVER leave your camp without fire materials!  If you get caught at night or in the cold/hot, that's NO good!

(...I honestly have no idea what happened to my brain right there...)

...Notorious

*By the way, that WAS my best run ever.  Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave, 613 days-worth of 40 day winters AND 50-day springs every single year, and I _loved_ it.  Never actually perma-died, too--the server was taken out by _glitch_, not death.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

That's a complete non sequitur.  No one is saying they *want* to use these items, or that they lament their uselessness, only that they are useless.  This is a very different subject which has nothing to do with "omg winters need to force you to wear exactly XYZ items or DIE INSTANTLY!"

15 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

That's a complete non sequitur.  No one is saying they *want* to use these items, or that they lament their uselessness, only that they are useless.  This is a very difficult subject which has nothing to do with "omg winters need to force you to wear exactly XYZ items or DIE INSTANTLY!"

Now I am really confused as all hell, you call something useless.. I try to give it a reason to no longer be useless and then this is the kind of reply I get.

lol, Dying instantly without its use is an over exaggeration- you won’t be able to survive without it.. but you won’t just instantly croak over dead.

AND as I’ve stated a billion times over- this is only for a harder difficulty option for players who actually WANT this form of added challenge to their game. No one is forcing you to use this in a normal world.

But if you join my Server where it’s always Summer and Ice never spawns at all... your not going to able to rely on Ice-Flingo-Matics to protect your base, Deerclops is turned off too so you ain’t getting his hat.

this server is Specifically set up to be a harsh blazing fire of hell where you will endure constant intense heat and random wildfires without the help of Ice Flings or Eyebrella.

So maybe Use XY&Z Or DIE isn’t the correct answer- but it should still be something players LOOKING for longer harsher more unforgiving Weather can enjoy.

which WOULD give items that you currently perceive as Useless an actual Survival use.

I survived King of Winter in singleplayer without having to ditch my backpack for a vest of any kind, and at a slow and cautious pace that took like 40 days and was long enough to run out of harvestable saplings. I was playing Wilson, but having my beard grown out just meant I could go somewhat longer without making a campfire, so even in a long-winter or only-winter world a vest absolutely would not be mandatory for any character who would prefer to have eight more storage slots or decent damage reduction at the cost of consuming extra logs and grass. Which is how Don't Starve generally works! There are very few must-have items, most problems have multiple ways to deal with it that are pretty much equally good. If not better. In RoG you don't need to worry about completely exhausting the supply of grass in a winter-only world, either, whereas this was a vanilla game where grass tufts were the only source available and the vests were therefore an even better choice.

(For the record, I did use the rabbit earmuffs when I started in King of Winter, because for winter clothes it was literally that or nothing, but Maxwell gives you a blueprint at the start of the level so you don't need a science machine to make them in that world. Special circumstances. The one time I used them in DST was when everyone was too busy dying to collect items for any better winter gear but there were rabbit holes within the frostbitten death radius, so it was up to me, my earmuffs, and my stage 1 beard to go mine some thermal stone rocks. I was playing with newbie friends.)

Also, for historical perspective: hambats were amazing in vanilla, but they got nerfed in RoG. They're more of a niche item now; they do as much damage as an expensive Thulecite Club minus its accessory tentacles but have unlimited swings, which the similarly-priced, higher-damage Dark Sword can't match, so optimal usage is to craft one immediately before a boss fight (Toadstool excepted) and then either discard it or put it in a bundling wrap.

Making Winter longer isn’t the answer, making new weather effects that makes you need those items is. Like for example the special sandstorm in the Oasis, imagine that.. But as a Snow storm on long Winter worlds, movement slowed.. vision impaired, use a Beefalo Hat, Thermal Stone, Nice warm Campfire and Vest Or well... freeze to death.

It gives items that are currently deemed as useless an Actual use- and would only ever be required if you choose to play in Servers with long harsh weather seasons.

if you don’t want the blizzards, then guess what? They’re just like Frog Rain turn them off in settings.

But IF you actually want to be forced into using items that are currently seen as Useless, then this is probably the best way.

Archived