Celestial Portal - do you use it?

Do you swap characters?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do you swap characters?

• Yes - I like changing my character often for fun
    • Yes - I feel I need to utilize more than 1 characters perks
    • No - I like being the same character all game
    • No - I feel part of the game is restricting myself to one set of benefits and penalties
    • Other - detail below

Curious to see what other people think of this structure.  I've mostly been of the thought that "I'm this character" when playing, and changing characters breaks that connection.  I'm a bit worried that every character will become a tool to use, get their perks, and switch out.  Eventually landing on someone with good persistent effects like Wolfgang for actually playing the game while everyone else is just a ghost I set up the world with...

What are your thoughts?  Do you use the portal?  Yes? No?  Why?

I built it twice and found it incredibly useless, I mean maybe to some people they can find use in it but I was Disappointed in it to be honest.. 

i expected something reading PORTAL would take me to an exciting new location, or at the very least start the games so far Non-Existent Adventure Mode which single player DS had & DST does not.. 

However I was both shocked and saddened when the character I was playing as suddenly commits suicide and dies only for me to become someone new.

If I wanted to DIE and become a new character I would play freaking Wilderness mode.. This THING doesn’t even make sense Lore-Wise, Cause I’m sitting here questioning uhhhh where did Wendy go? And why am I Wormwood now?

Did I actually Die? Did I escape back into the real world? Wtf actually happens here?!

90+ day world surviving every season only to become someone I hardly know how to play as.. lol 

I can understand how some hardcore extremist SOLO players may find this to be useful, Especially if they wanted to plant a few Seeds in the dirt as Wormwood and then immediately grow them into food as Wickerbottom.. But I however Do not see use in it at ALL.

Maybe it’s Incomplete??? There are two more curiously empty slots on this gate, so MAYBE this Return of Them update series will give us a reason to explore the oceans/new Island Biomes to find the missing parts and complete this gateway portal??

TL:DR- The Celestial Portals only purpose is to do something that can be more easily accomplished by Either playing Wilderness Mode or having other players join your world.

^idk about endless.  Maybe you mean Wilderness mode?  Dying in this mode does not turn you into a ghost.  Instead you are sent back to the character select screen to be spawned back into the world at a random place, losing all crafting / exploration.

1 minute ago, shadowDigga said:

There should be separate options for "I switch to Wigfrid to make tons of battle helms" and "I switch to Winona to set up catapults" because these are the most popular.

I switch to Wes just to make festive balloons everywhere if I'm not already playing as him

21 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

^idk about endless.  Maybe you mean Wilderness mode?  Dying in this mode does not turn you into a ghost.  Instead you are sent back to the character select screen to be spawned back into the world at a random place, losing all crafting / exploration.

Yeah wilderness.

For what little I use this I find it essential. After some time I get bored of the character but don't want to start a new world, so I just switch character. It's also handy when a rework comes in.

Lore-wise I imagine the portal to just send you to the other island in the Constant, simple as that.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I built it twice and found it incredibly useless, I mean maybe to some people they can find use in it but I was Disappointed in it to be honest.. 

i expected something reading PORTAL would take me to an exciting new location, or at the very least start the games so far Non-Existent Adventure Mode which single player DS had & DST does not.. 

However I was both shocked and saddened when the character I was playing as suddenly commits suicide and dies only for me to become someone new.

If I wanted to DIE and become a new character I would play freaking Wilderness mode.. This THING doesn’t even make sense Lore-Wise, Cause I’m sitting here questioning uhhhh where did Wendy go? And why am I Wormwood now?

Did I actually Die? Did I escape back into the real world? Wtf actually happens here?!

90+ day world surviving every season only to become someone I hardly know how to play as.. lol 

I can understand how some hardcore extremist SOLO players may find this to be useful, Especially if they wanted to plant a few Seeds in the dirt as Wormwood and then immediately grow them into food as Wickerbottom.. But I however Do not see use in it at ALL.

Maybe it’s Incomplete??? There are two more curiously empty slots on this gate, so MAYBE this Return of Them update series will give us a reason to explore the oceans/new Island Biomes to find the missing parts and complete this gateway portal??

TL:DR- The Celestial Portals only purpose is to do something that can be more easily accomplished by Either playing Wilderness Mode or having other players join your world.

The lore is that you make a sacrifice to the celestial portal and in return you are reborn anew/can summon someone else. It's unclear. I wouldn't call it lore breaking. Speaking of, in a previous thread you mentioned you wanted the ability to transport to the Forge/Gorge via the Pig King. Classic case of lore-cognitive-dissonance.

I think the celestial portal is a neat feature, Wilderness mode is too random. It's nice to switch characters at a cost instead of just starting a new world.

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The lore is that you make a sacrifice to the celestial portal and in return you are reborn anew/can summon someone else. It's unclear. I wouldn't call it lore breaking. Speaking of, in a previous thread you mentioned you wanted the ability to transport to the Forge/Gorge via the Pig King. Classic case of lore-cognitive-dissonance.

I think the celestial portal is a neat feature, Wilderness mode is too random. It's nice to switch characters at a cost instead of just starting a new world.

How on earth is that relevant to the Celestial Portal? My logic behind having a Lore breaking Mini game is simple- When they hosted the ACTUAL Events themselves they didn’t require us to go through some insanely ridiculous task of killing the final game boss in doing so, instead the just hosted servers that allowed us to go directly into the game mode itself, so if they added a permanent version of the mode- Why should players be forced to kill the final game boss to play in and enjoy this content? Seems rather Silly if it’s only for Lore.

as for the Celestial Portal- Why would they have FOUR Slots for building stuff in when it only uses TWO? The only obvious solution is that it’s Incomplete.

And where does the character I was actually playing as Go when the new one replaces them?

23 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

Lore-wise I imagine the portal to just send you to the other island in the Constant, simple as that

I believe a dev actually mentioned how the Celestial portal works:

Say there's Island A and Island B. Island A has Wilson, Wickerbottom, and Wes on it while Island B has Willow, Wigfrid and Wormwood on it.

Whenever a character uses the Celestial Portal, they essentially swap places with the other character. So if Wilson used it and swapped to Wigfrid, Wilson goes to Island B while Wigfrid goes to Island A.

Back to discussion, I tend to not like committing to characters, so I enjoy swapping around.

"Other - detail below" <

On pubs I almost never change characters - in Survivor mode clearly I stick with one character per session; on Endless dedicated servers I seldom change, usually to Wigfrid and make helmets. Otherwise I stick with my most-used nomad choices - Willow or Woodie.

On personal solo servers I change from time to time, alternating between Willow, Woodie, Wig and Wicker.

I very much enjoy being able to use every character perk, what I don't like about the portal is that it refills all your stats, you get the character's starting items and the idol recipe is too cheap. I feel like there should be a debuff for changing such as lowering your max health for X days, and if you keep changing in a short period of time your health keeps getting lower and lower till it gets to 1.

I don't use it but I see the appeal for it. The idea is one I think breaks the game but I also feel it is required as some people don't have the patience to resart and play a entirely new world just to play a new world. 

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Im sorry to be rude but, there is actually no way for there to be a new type of world in DST. You would have to create a entirely new server so how would you not have known? Also, it is finished, the 2 empty slots means that it jist requires 2 less material types then the max needed. Ita not meant to be a actual portal, its meant to be a character swapping point. There is also the fact that wilderness forces you to restart your map, craftables, and most likely your pet, unlike swapping with the Celestial Portal.

7 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

There should be separate options for "I switch to Wigfrid to make tons of battle helms" and "I switch to Winona to set up catapults" because these are the most popular.

I find myself switching to Warly for spices and Wickerbottom for books/reading quite often. I usually main Wigfrid, so I guess I switch to her a lot too.

But personally I don't find much utility in catapults...

I voted for "other". I mostly play on my own public servers that at minimum have 500+ days. When I've played a few hundred days as the same character I usually get bored and want a little twist. So I have a rule with my other admin pal I almost always play with: we both switch characters on a set day and both of us will choose random. Currently we do this the first day of Autumn every two game years but we've had longer character switching intervals too. So I wouldn't really say I'm changing character "often" as most players stay on our servers for only 5-30 days and 2 years is a longer time span some players have even ever stayed alive. And we never change characters because we want to have some specific perks for some specific situation. It's more like praying to rng gods letmebewarlyletmebewarlyletmebewarlyi'mwillowohwell and then we just play as Willow the next 2 years. It's fun because you never know what you'll get and sometimes you just end up playing 2 more years as the same character you played the previous years. It lets us enjoy different personalities characters have and focus on different things than with our previous character. I don't think it's game breaking because on a public server we have a lot of different character perks to utilize anyway and when we change characters we don't get to choose our next perks. For us it keeps playing fresh and fun.

I've also learnt a ton of new gameplay strategies this way. If I had never changed my character in mid-game I would still play on the same server and never get to try different playstyles. I think I now have a much better understanding of what other players actually need to get the most out of their character and I'm more capable of giving them a hand even if they don't ask for help or some specific resources.

Imo the cost for making an idol or using it could be higher but I'm happy we now have at least some legit way to change our character in a non-wilderness world, cuz now we no longer have to use console commands for it.

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s very useful at endgame, which is mostly about base building. You don’t see it because you have chosen not to learn about the game outside of trial and error in playing it. Which is fine! But a player does not have to be “hardcore extremist SOLO” to find character change very useful, they just have to know more about the game than you do, which is not hard!

It's useful as it allows you to access other character's roles and kit, e.g.:

- Winona's catapults
 - Wicker's books
 - Warly's spices
 - Wilson's beard when you're in a forest-only world with no other access to beard hair
 - Wig's helmets
 - Wig/Wolf's damage if you're playing Wes/Wendy
 - Wormwood's decorative plants

I personally use it to gather metric tons of spice-empowered powder cakes and create tentacle fields.

I play with a Wigfrid as my teamate  so helmets are not a problem. I just used the portal once so far to get Warly and make spicey Jelly  and some defensive food. It felt a little like cheating but whatever. Tempted to use it for wormwood and plant acres of farms all over and also Winona for some catapult cheesing lol

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

It's useful as it allows you to access other character's roles and kit, e.g.:

- Winona's catapults
 - Wicker's books
 - Warly's spices
 - Wilson's beard when you're in a forest-only world with no other access to beard hair
 - Wig's helmets
 - Wig/Wolf's damage if you're playing Wes/Wendy
 - Wormwood's decorative plants

I personally use it to gather metric tons of spice-empowered powder cakes and create tentacle fields.

And Winona's repair kit. Easier to craft than the normal one.

But it’s still very much a USELESS feature that is only good if your playing ALONE Solo, Otherwise- Other teammates in a 6 player coop game can more easily fulfill those roles for you.

And if the End-Game is large base building and Farming then no offense but- I’m extremely thrilled that I have yet to reach that point. :)

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But it’s still very much a USELESS feature that is only good if your playing ALONE Solo, Otherwise- Other teammates in a 6 player coop game can more easily fulfill those roles for you.

And if the End-Game is large base building and Farming then no offense but- I’m extremely thrilled that I have yet to reach that point. :)

Even if I don't play alone solo, my friends still ask me to check if the Celestial Orb already spawned or if there are enough Moon Rocks to upgrade the portal. There are many reasons to use the portal, mostly because they took an early game character (Woodie to gather logs & to rush to the Moon), because they selected the wrong character (picked one character but the world has an abundance of a ressource which they want to use and thus decide to swap their character again), because we need a certain character to fulfill a task (making the BQ trap for example), because we became bored playing the same character for >20 days, because two players took the same character, etc.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would have to find one reliable player that has the same schedule as me for each character I need for base building. I don't know if that's more easy. 

Once you hit that part of the end game you'll see what I mean. Sometimes you just want to build some Catapults and don't want to bother your Winona main friend. 

Archived