Lots of problems with Wurt

- Merms do not protect Wurt. They will only become aggravated if a fellow AI merm gets attacked, which makes no sense and makes it extremely difficult to weaponize merms without recruiting them.

- Merms don't even aggravate onto monsters despite them being obvious dangers, and or are encroaching on their territory.

- Reentering the server or changing shards while the merm king is alive will refill all Wurt's stats.

- The merm King never sleeps, even during times when merms normally do. Merms from structures Wurt builds also don't obey merm sleep cycles either.

- There's no way to tell how hungry the merm king currently is.

- Multiple hats hover above the cut off point on Wurt's head, if Wurt is wearing a top her sleeves disappear when she performs her unique idle animation.

- Wurt's quote when entering shade makes reference to there being rain, despite the fact that you can enter shade when it's not raining. Wurt's quotes for gaining wetness also contradict the fact that she suffers from wetness the same as every other character.

- Nearby merms will run to eat seaweed the merm king drops when given an offering, so it's a frantic rush to get the drops you paid for since you need to have at least one merm nearby to spawn the king in to begin with.

- When Wurt recruits a merm they will constantly alternate between wandering back towards their house, and then running up to Wurt to stay close.

- Wurt's danger sense for tentacles isn't visible during the winter, since the graphic is white and snow is white.

This update feels very rushed. Especially considering how obvious a lot of these issues are, or how many missing elements there are to the new merms behaviour in general.

1 hour ago, mirrormind said:

- Nearby merms will run to eat seaweed the merm king drops when given an offering, so it's a frantic rush to get the drops you paid for since you need to have at least one merm nearby to spawn the king in to begin with.

This makes me wonder if fences would keep the thrown items bounded away from those thieves.

I'll have to try it tonight, or someone else on the forums may before I get back tonight.

You know I actually really like your argument here, It didn't sound like a person complaining about how the game should be, you actually put your thoughts and feelings in this, and you stayed on topic with and your argument is really good and it stands out! I was expecting someone to be mostly blabbing off on how wurt isn't OP and this game needs to be more terrifying due to how early this post was made. You deserve an award man! Respect towards you. However, you should probably post this in the suggestions and feedback as I think Klei actually looks at those more instead of in the general discussion.

Wurt's Merms don't aggro on hounds that are close to their houses, that seems to me something that should be fixed. Wild merms aggro anything that gets close to their houses, not sure why this is different for wurt's merms. They seem to kill chester just fine but not other monsters or player characters.

This also makes the disguise only useful for somebody else feeding merm king

33 minutes ago, Ermac__ said:

Wurt's Merms don't aggro on hounds that are close to their houses, that seems to me something that should be fixed. Wild merms aggro anything that gets close to their houses, not sure why this is different for wurt's merms. They seem to kill chester just fine but not other monsters or player characters.

This also makes the disguise only useful for somebody else feeding merm king

They probably nerfed their aggression levels that way whenever a wurt has a few merms following her, and something gets near their hut, they dont just abandon her to deal with their personal problems. 

6 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

They probably nerfed their aggression levels that way whenever a wurt has a few merms following her, and something gets near their hut, they dont just abandon her to deal with their personal problems. 

Could just set befriended merms to ignore their houses while they are following a wurt, no different than how spiders don't run back to their nests to attack intruders while they're currently following a webber. Stuff like this is relatively fundamental to the AI in this game but presumably it wasn't added simply because it was rushed. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Just now, mirrormind said:

Could just set befriended merms to ignore their houses while they are following a wurt, no different than how spiders don't run back to their nests to attack intruders while they're currently following a webber. Stuff like this is relatively fundamental to the AI in this game but presumably it wasn't added simply because it was rushed. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Yeah your right about that. I think a person on the forums said that klei was taking an extremely late night shift meaning they probably did have to indeed rush something. Even the fact that Wurt didn't have her voice on release. But I'm still happy for the update and such, I don't even mind the fact we only got one new gameplay addition for hallowed nights,(the lunar experiment I think its called) They put alot of detail and effort into this one little festive event, I kind of feel bad for the developer who took that night shift though. :/

27 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

Yeah your right about that. I think a person on the forums said that klei was taking an extremely late night shift meaning they probably did have to indeed rush something. Even the fact that Wurt didn't have her voice on release. But I'm still happy for the update and such, I don't even mind the fact we only got one new gameplay addition for hallowed nights,(the lunar experiment I think its called) They put alot of detail and effort into this one little festive event, I kind of feel bad for the developer who took that night shift though. :/

These crunchy night shifts shouldn't happen, and neither should these broken releases. The state of Wurt's release should tell you how effective working a dev down to the bone is, it still was released broken. I think everyone would be fine with delays AS LONG as that guarantees quality. I know I wouldn't be too upset, I get upset when there is hefty amount of delays and the content is still released broken. I am even more upset to hear that this happened to a dev and I'm surprised Klei would do that.... that being if these rumors are true. 

2 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

These crunchy night shifts shouldn't happen, and neither should these broken releases. The state of Wurt's release should tell you how effective working a dev down to the bone is, it still was released broken. I think everyone would be fine with delays AS LONG as that guarantees quality. I know I wouldn't be too upset, I get upset when there is hefty amount of delays and the content is still released broken. I am even more upset to hear that this happened to a dev and I'm surprised Klei would do that.... that being if these rumors are true. 

Yeah this sort of behavior is worrying. Big things such as Wurt's voice being outright missing is a massive red flag for me. It's not game breaking or even that upsetting but it's something so... Benign? Easily noticed? That I can only imagine was either due to strict deadlines or crunch. Which would be incredibly disappointing to see from Klei, as they seem at a glance to be a rather respectable company.

...Which is easy to say when I'm not working there, which makes it worse. Ignorance is bliss but it's also bitter.

I mean, to be fair the to devs guys. We as a community are actively breathing down their necks all the time for any drop of content. I wouldnt be surprised if wurt/halloween was slated for another week, but everyone on the forums hopped into a frenzy for 4 hours the other day. Its no suprise they felt pressured to releAse something. They get yelled at for releasing stuff too early, too late, too much or too little. I personally think we should be a little more gentle with them. To klei proper, i definitely would say, take your time, you have a dedicated patient fanbase, and also, maybe they could release characters/reworks on test servers. As a sort of trial run, then you have alot of testers tryig them out, and if people know theyre still in testing things wont seem so critical. Anyway, just my two cents

21 minutes ago, Lemonsnoot said:

I mean, to be fair the to devs guys. We as a community are actively breathing down their necks all the time for any drop of content. I wouldnt be surprised if wurt/halloween was slated for another week, but everyone on the forums hopped into a frenzy for 4 hours the other day. Its no suprise they felt pressured to releAse something. They get yelled at for releasing stuff too early, too late, too much or too little. I personally think we should be a little more gentle with them. To klei proper, i definitely would say, take your time, you have a dedicated patient fanbase, and also, maybe they could release characters/reworks on test servers. As a sort of trial run, then you have alot of testers tryig them out, and if people know theyre still in testing things wont seem so critical. Anyway, just my two cents

To be fair, this is their job. They are payed to, and we give them money, to do this. I am absolutely 100% about letting the devs take their time so they can push out products they are happy with, but saying "I am worried they are crunching due to mismanagement up top or unhealthy work ethics." shouldn't exactly be seen as harsh. This isn't an indie dev team, this is a studio and company. They should both have the resources and leeway to allow their teams to work at a healthy, steady pace to avoid botched releases or overworking their devs to meet deadlines or the like.

14 minutes ago, Butt Pillow said:

To be fair, this is their job. They are payed to, and we give them money, to do this. I am absolutely 100% about letting the devs take their time so they can push out products they are happy with, but saying "I am worried they are crunching due to mismanagement up top or unhealthy work ethics." shouldn't exactly be seen as harsh. This isn't an indie dev team, this is a studio and company. They should both have the resources and leeway to allow their teams to work at a healthy, steady pace to avoid botched releases or overworking their devs to meet deadlines or the like.

I understand and respect what youre saying, and its a good point. With every other company especially in the AAA industry, this is a serious problem. But klei is usually pretty good about stuff is all im saying. This is the first update ive seen that has had bugs of this level, and i think it was definitely a one off thing for fear of disappointing the community. But i digress, everyone’s free to voice their opinion here

41 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

Maybe it wouldn't be rushed if people didn't flood the forum with WhErE'S uPdAtE???

The forum doesn't even represent half the playerbase. If a 100 or so posts in a single topic, which may seem like a lot, were posted in response to an update being late or delayed it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. Content producers have to expect their fans to be ansty or over eager in regards to content. That is apart of the job. That is why managing time or providing proper notice of delays are important. If those 100 posts cause them to push out updates that are rushed, then... Well, I shouldn't even have to explain how that's either embarrassing or a result of mismanagement. Or even just unforeseen issues! That's fine. That's where communication is important.

Klei has a lot of good faith towards them, an update being a few hours or even a few days late so they can ensure most things work isn't too much to ask for. A late, but functional product is always much more worth it than a buggy, early one.

The preface to all of this being I don't want the devs to be overworking in the first place. This is assuming ideal work environments.  Which they should be getting, as the work they do should be compensated.

I kinda doubt Klei got "pressured" into releasing early. If anything they were hyped themselves to share what they've been working on and did so too soon. But who knows.

It's not a big deal either way. Bugs are being found and squashed. A lot of the major crashes have already been patched within a day. I'm glad to have the update, bugs included. Heck it means I can even help with bug reports.

It's a bit of a shame so many people expect them to be flawless with their execution. The follow through is what matters, and Klei follows through.

Have faith. Have patience.

Klei isn't some inhuman entity. They're a collection of people.

Archived