Hallowed Nights and Wurt available October 24th! (And more!)

There are three genders in the code of the game: male, female, and robot. Each gender is assigned pronouns: he, she, and they respectively. Because of this I don't see why the gender has to be challenged... it's pretty clear cut.

I'm expecting we will see Wurt under female. We would have at least one nonhuman representative of each gender!

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think gender and Age in DST is irrelevant, only because there are head cosmetics for characters clearly labeled “boy” that make them look like a girl, Webber and Wes being the main culprits, they can also wear the female skirts soo uhh.. unless Wurt has a very specific look to her that clearly identifies her as female (such as having Merm Boobs) then I can probably put her in men’s clothing and just call her a dude.

Most clothing is in itself general neutral. Girls can wear suits as well as guys and look just fantastic in them. Which, if you ask me, most girls look better in suits anyways. 

Moving back to the actual topic of Wurt as a character, the addition of her being able to build Merm houses is immensely gratifying. I look forward to finally being able to wall off the swamp with my girthy defense of fish guys that'll ruin pubs for days until people get use to it and burn them down. 

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Merm Boobs

none of the other playable female characters in the game have breasts, if you aren't aware

i don't get why we can't just move on from this discussion, the gender of each character are already established facts by klei

any disagreement further than that is just incorrect, as far as i'm concerned

59 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I didn’t get any explanation when suddenly there was Carrots coming up out the ground as Rats.. and that’s because it was a fun gameplay experience- not a story driven one.

You didn't get a pop-up explaining the lore upon picking a carrat, that's true. Carrats, as with many other living things on the Lunar Islands, are likely plants that were somehow mutated into creatures by the Lunar Island (or vice-versa, creatures that were mutated into plants) so to say that they're simply "a fun gameplay experience" is just silly.

And uh, speaking of silly:

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think gender and Age in DST is irrelevant, only because there are head cosmetics for characters clearly labeled “boy” that make them look like a girl, Webber and Wes being the main culprits, they can also wear the female skirts soo uhh.. unless Wurt has a very specific look to her that clearly identifies her as female (such as having Merm Boobs) then I can probably put her in men’s clothing and just call her a dude.

A person can wear any kind of clothing, masculine or feminine, and that doesn't change their gender in any way. Webber, Wes and Wormwood have skins that would be considered "feminine", and WX-78 has skins which would definitely be considered "masculine". That doesn't change their gender at all, because that's just not how clothes work. Anyone can wear anything. Anyone can dress masculine, feminine, both, neither, or anywhere in between, and that doesn't determine their gender in any way.
Hell, I'm a girl and I've always wanted to go to some kind of fancy occasion in a suit, and my gender would not spontaneously rearrange itself upon me putting that Assigned Masculine Cloth on my body.

6 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You didn't get a pop-up explaining the lore upon picking a carrat, that's true. Carrats, as with many other living things on the Lunar Islands, are likely plants that were somehow mutated into creatures by the Lunar Island (or vice-versa, creatures that were mutated into plants) so to say that they're simply "a fun gameplay experience" is just silly.

A person can wear any kind of clothing, masculine or feminine, and that doesn't change their gender in any way. Webber, Wes and Wormwood have skins that would be considered "feminine", and WX-78 has skins which would definitely be considered "masculine". That doesn't change their gender at all, because that's just not how clothes work. Anyone can wear anything. Anyone can dress masculine, feminine, both, neither, or anywhere in between, and that doesn't determine their gender in any way.
Hell, I'm a girl and I've always wanted to go to some kind of fancy occasion in a suit, and my gender would not spontaneously rearrange itself upon me putting that Assigned Masculine Cloth on my body.

That is TOTALLY NOT THE POINT!!

it does not matter what YOU want, it matters what I WANT, or rather what the person playing as said character wants, if I want to pretend Wendy is a 39 year old cross dressing man then so be it.. it’s my game let me play it MY Way. 

If I want to say Webber is a Girl and dress him in girly clothing and girl hairstyles that again is my opinion and I have every right to do so.

but to argue a video game characters gender is rather silly. 

I Personally wouldn’t mind both Male & Female skins for characters like Wilson and Woodie Myself.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

- snip -

They're characters not avatars. You a get to play the role of the early thirties male scientist, or the role of the female kid mourning her sister. It's that simple. There's a story going on whether you like it or not and thus there are canon character attributes.

But hey, you've said again and again how you don't care about the story so why does a concrete gender matter to you? It shouldn't. It doesn't affect gameplay at all, as you've said. So... by extension that shouldn't matter.

53 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Honestly, I can appreciate that Wurt didn't look feminine with say...a torn flowery dress or a ribbon on her head with long eyelashes, imo it makes her more adorable that way. I always thought the idea that a girl has to be feminine at all times where boys can look either attractive or ugly in media is silly, and the fact that it's only a small part of her character lets me appreciate her that much more for the rest of her design. She's gross and that's very kitschy.

29 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

can someone explain to me why we're argueing over the gender of a fictional piece of art that has been explicetly given a gender? atleast the WX-78 debate had some basis, but I am very confused about how this came about.

Current year obssession over gender... I guess.588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

15 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Current year obssession over gender... I guess.588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

Well I was born in a time period where there really wasn’t such thing as Male- Female, Bisexual Transgender.. Whatever, so knowing if the girl I like is in fact actually a girl is a HUGE thing to me. 

In video games it’s slightly unimportant i Guess lol.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well I was born in a time period where there really wasn’t such thing as Male- Female, Bisexual Transgender..

unless you were born a million years ago, these existed before you did

please just take the loss and let us discuss anything other than gender, thank you

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well I was born in a time period where there really wasn’t such thing as Male- Female, Bisexual Transgender.. Whatever, so knowing if the girl I like is in fact actually a girl is a HUGE thing to me. 

I'm going to hope that this is just cluelessness and not hate, and attempt to explain some things.

First of all, transgender people have always existed. Maybe you were born in a time where LGBT+ people didn't feel as safe and kept themselves hidden away, but transgender people have always existed. You're probably just noticing them now because of the world becoming a safer place for them to be themselves in, or because of how much faster information travels now with television and the internet.

Second: bisexual is not a gender, bisexual is... a sexuality. Who you're attracted to has nothing to do with your gender. This is another one of those things like clothes, where anyone can have any sort of preference regardless of their gender.

Third... 

so knowing if the girl I like is in fact actually a girl is a HUGE thing to me. 

This is a horrible thing to say and it's why I really hope you're just clueless about this kind of stuff. Making a distinction between "girls" and "actual girls" like this is awful, because it implies that trans women are not "actual" women. If you really need to make a distinction in a context where it'd be actually necessary, you can go with "cis women" and "trans women" but it's very infrequent that you actually have a reason to make a distinction, especially when talking about a fish child.
Let me make something clear though, I'm not saying you cannot have a preference if you're pursuing a relationship with someone. It's 100% fine to have preference when it comes to anatomy if you're pursuing some kind of relationship with someone, since it's very likely it will become relevant there for obvious reasons. But, again, this is a fish child, you don't have to know anything about that, just read the part where Klei calls her "she" and be done.

Archived