[Suggestion] Imagine playing Don't Starve with various Biome Heights (World Plateaux)

Hi lads, we're getting closer to a very nice world generation with the oceans from Return Of Them, don't you think ?

But have you already set your attention to the fact that Don't Starve is a 3D game ?

We have 3 coordinates, and Y is the height, it is of course used a lot for various operations in the game scripts but this is not directly impacting players experience a lot since we are always on ground (or water but it's on the same level)...

Now you may wonder why I am talking about this ? unless you've read the title

Well. Maybe the next step of the world generation could be to use the world height ! We keep the default height for the majority of existing biomes we knows at : y = 0, and some new varieties of plateaux like mountains equivalent of forests and plains and other unique environments.

Look at this and try pretending it's not cool :

wickerbottom.thumb.png.ba0f90d1316b5ccf54cbbee0a9844104.png

Now for players, I think it could be fun to manage climbing over high plateaux with various items and structures :

For example, if the biome plateau next to you only have a 0.5 difference on the Y axis from your current plateau, you can jump like if you wanted to go on your boat. You know, we play athletes that can jump over 5 meters so it's fine for Wilson, don't worry about him.

But if it's higher than this, maybe a springboard, stilts or just ladders could be added for this new game mechanism.

(Also, I don't know if it could be possible to make negative height biome unless they only spawn on middle to avoid water, or either it will have no sense or sink.)

Okay that's pretty much it, this is just an intense suggestion to the devs going through there :wilson_vforvictory: and for you if you want to discuss over it, even if I deeply know that this is game-changing (breaking limits is good sometime) and that it sounds like a lot of work... but if applied to a very new set of biomes among the current world we know, this new perspective can be the most beautiful thing this game have ever made !

5 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

I think that the implementation of this idea is rather impossible in practice.

3 minutes ago, Ornge said:

If this was possible klei would have tried something like this by now. I actually don't think it is possible to add this in without reworking the entire game

The physic of Don't Starve is actually pretty nice, I don't think that it is an impossible challenge from what I've seen so far from this team, we could have been saying the same from the new boats that can carry structures on them, but they did it ! :)

honestly, much like return of them’s water, it seems like you’re just adding more annoyance to traveling. Yes there’s novelty to something new, but soon the novelty wears off and you’re left with yet another chore.

Would you really be any happier wasting 16 logs to enter and exit the desert? Would needing to build a fire every minute add any thrill?

If you want to peak my interest, give me a reason to build stilts. Outside of birds, the sky is barren.

58 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

honestly, much like return of them’s water, it seems like you’re just adding more annoyance to traveling. Yes there’s novelty to something new, but soon the novelty wears off and you’re left with yet another chore.

Would you really be any happier wasting 16 logs to enter and exit the desert? Would needing to build a fire every minute add any thrill?

If you want to peak my interest, give me a reason to build stilts. Outside of birds, the sky is barren.

What I suggested is a new set of biomes. So of courses the content you can get for it have to be a big plus, what we do to have from the game for now must stay on the same level, or on a level where you can simply over it, then, you have no changes from the current navigation, and only new lands to conquer. No downsides.

Also, the new lands could generate like on the Wicker loading screen I've posted on top, similar to a valley so your path is always unobstructed, there is a lot of spaces between the various generations tasks of the game that have to be filled with something, have a look here :

0.png

Filling these space can make some magnificent landscapes, clearly, not all world have loops but if you don't have one you will have much more space between world branches, for placing big plateaux or access to a beach biome, making ocean entrances more appreciable.

2 hours ago, ADM said:

What I suggested is a new set of biomes. So of courses the content you can get for it have to be a big plus, what we do to have from the game for now must stay on the same level, or on a level where you can simply over it, then, you have no changes from the current navigation, and only new lands to conquer. No downsides.

Also, the new lands could generate like on the Wicker loading screen I've posted on top, similar to a valley so your path is always unobstructed, there is a lot of spaces between the various generations tasks of the game that have to be filled with something, have a look here :

Filling these space can make some magnificent landscapes, clearly, not all world have loops but if you don't have one you will have much more space between world branches, for placing big plateaux or access to a beach biome, making ocean entrances more appreciable.

normally when people want something changed, they give reasons, examples, speculation. if you want new biomes, sell what advantages the multiple planes will have. i'm confused why new biomes would need this gimmick, and still recovering from my annoyance at the water stuff ...

While the concept definitely has me intrigued, I gotta say I'm not too keen on that alone. There'd have to be something worthwhile, otherwise it would likely not be well received or anything new/fun - assuming they even could easily implement something like it ( *easily meaning it wouldn't require a mass rework of the game/game engine itself). 

Plus, it's good to keep in mind that Reign of Them's updates aren't finished, and perhaps some of the new updates with it may introduce something similar. Either way, though, it is interesting to think about, a possibility or not :)

13 hours ago, ADM said:

The physic of Don't Starve is actually pretty nice, I don't think that it is an impossible challenge from what I've seen so far from this team, we could have been saying the same from the new boats that can carry structures on them, but they did it ! :)

There's a difference between allowing you to walk on water and creating actual 3d in don't starve

15 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

Can't really compare since Shipwrecked already had water.

yes, yes you can since SW Water and DST Water are mechanically different from one another, one uses Turfs, one uses actual Filters to create water.

5 hours ago, Ornge said:

There's a difference between allowing you to walk on water and creating actual 3d in don't starve

Ever been to the edge of the world, ever seen what DST looked like before Water rose? DS and DST are 3D games, using 3D Objects and 3D Landscapes, just because they use 2D Textures, doesnt mean its not 3D, All GetPos functions in DST require an X, Y and Z Coord.

To Create Mountains is no hard philosophy, maybe just manipulate the Camera when player reaches heights so the world below them is scaled a bit smaller, but other than that its no rocketscience

I have been tossing this idea around in my head over a year ago, but then I thought it would be too much trouble to rework game like this, so I dumped this idea into oblivion. Sure, it's not impossible, but it would require a fair amount of work.

Seeing somebody else suggest this feels nice.

I just want them to hurry up and port over already existing biomes from the single player Shipwrecked and a Hamlet DLC’s into DS: Together.

What your asking for sure it sounds pretty cool but... why rework the entire game when they already have Volcano & Jungle Biomes with Snakes & Jungle Monkeys, Beach Biomes with Crabs (and yes I’m fully aware all the crabs are is a reskinned rabbit) and in Hamlet there’s even Walking Man-Eating Piranha Plants that even Mario himself would consider the thing of Nightmares.

DST is a beautiful game but it needs more creature and biome variety and porting this stuff into DST would really help to fix that I think. 

I love this idea. So much so I made a nod to it in my own world. I redid my Dfly desert with mud, rocky, cave rock, and guano turf to try and give it the feel of rising elevation as you get deeper into the biome. It doesn't really look right especially with the water surrounding it now, but I'd love for something like that to actually be in the game. 

Archived