I need advice for next step

Hi there!
So I chose Winona.
I've got the Science Machine and the Alchemy Engine.
I'm still in Autumn.
I know I should prepare for Winter, and that I should wear warmer clothes.
But in a more specific way, what should I be crafting/making/getting next? 

Thanks guys

9 minutes ago, DrPepperCan said:

A Thermal Measurer

I would recommend you don't get this. Being able to tell the temperature is really not as useful as you'd think it'd be... especially in base. Just save the gold and boards bro. Everything else seems right though.

kill some beefalos for their wool and horn.

Use the horn and wool to make a beefalo hat.

Open those animal steps (tracks) until you find a koalefant (pink if you're in autumn, blue in winter), kill the koalefant for its... thing.

Use the beefalo wool + koalefant thing to make a nice jacket. (the blue jacket is better than the pink one).

Mine some boulders, use the flint/rocks/pickaxe to make yourself a thermal stone.

Now you are good to face winter

39 minutes ago, trinket_4 said:

kill some beefalos for their wool and horn.
Use the horn and wool to make a beefalo hat.
Open those animal steps (tracks) until you find a koalefant (pink if you're in autumn, blue in winter), kill the koalefant for its... thing.
Use the beefalo wool + koalefant thing to make a nice jacket. (the blue jacket is better than the pink one).
Mine some boulders, use the flint/rocks/pickaxe to make yourself a thermal stone.
Now you are good to face winter

Wow, that was great!
What should I expect when trying to kill the Beefalo?
What is the best weapon for it?

DPC

4 minutes ago, DrPepperCan said:

Wow, that was great!
What should I expect when trying to kill the Beefalo?
What is the best weapon for it?

DPC

Feed some grass/twigs to the beefalo and lure it away from the herd. Don't hit it with a spear or any other weapon until you are 2 screens aqay from the herd.

Grab your spear, equip your log suit, and let's battle!

When you do your first hit, walk away (kite) so the beefalo do its attack on you, after that, hit it 5-6 times and walk away again (kite), repeat it until the beefalo is dead.

Find (or plant) some trees that aren't close to any grass, twigs, berries, forrests and set them on fire using a torch.

After they're done burning you can chop them down for charcoal. It's used in crafting Crockpot and Drying Rack, both of which will be very useful. Crockpot allows you to combine mediocre food and creat great food, for example 1 morsel and 3 ice (which are easy to get durring winter) will result in meatballs. Drying racks turn most meat-based items into jerky which is a great source of health and sanity. Jerky also stays fresh longer than normal or cooked meat.

Enter caves and try to find some Light Flowers. Collect Light Bulbs from them- you can use them to craft and refuel Lanterns and Miner Hats.

Locate Clockworks and kill them for gears. Then craft ice box. If you can't kill them you can try to get gears via Tumbleweeds found in Desert.

If you know how to then create Pigman and Bunnyman Farms. They're great food and pig skin source.

Also...

At the night of Day 30 Deerclops, winter's giant, will arrive to kill you and destroy your base. I advise you to be away from your base at that time and also have a lot of sanity food ( jerky or cooked green mushrooms) as Deerclops makes you go insane very fast.

1 hour ago, trinket_4 said:

...walk away (kite)...

What do you mean with: kite (?)

Thanks a lot for your advice t4 :)

DPC

54 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Find (or plant) some trees that aren't close to any grass, twigs, berries, forests and set them on fire using a torch.

This is great advice!
Thanks a bunch Szczuku :)

Great! I just lost everything!
I was walking on that purple ground with the big tentacles. They can be so fast.
I wish this game was more forgiving.
At least not to give you a limited short time before it resets. I could have made it to a TouchStone, but I was like 25 seconds short :(

225?cb=20160523202702

4 minutes ago, DrPepperCan said:

I was walking on that purple ground with the big tentacles. They can be so fast.
At least not to give you a limited short time before it resets. I could have made it to a TouchStone, but I was like 25 seconds short :(

225?cb=20160523202702

You can set your world to Endless instead of Survival, so the game won't reset when you die

8 hours ago, DrPepperCan said:

225?cb=20160523202702

Enjoy this while you can. Once you learn everything, the game becomes ez pz and you'll want to go back to being clueless.

When I need beefalo horns, I use tooth traps. When beefalo are not in heat, they'll just stand there while you reset the traps under them over and over until they die, and it doesn't make any beefalo mad, so they don't attack you. Not even the one you're using the traps on. I usually have three traps so that I can reset them faster as they're triggered, but you can use more. Or maybe only two. But I know you need more than one whole trap's worth of durability to kill one beefalo.

Before winter arrives, you should have scouted most of the map and located key areas for resources and chosen an optimal position and then established a base. Critically around day 15 you should head out and try to find a tier 3 spider nest (one with three bumps), systemically destroy it and replant it somewhat close to your base as a source of meat. Combined with ice you can mine during winter, 1 monster meat and 3 ice in a Crockpot gives you meatball and will easily sustain you so long as you're not Warly or Wortox.

During winter, you should be gathering and stockpiling ice for cheap Meatballs for years to come (exaggerating), continuing to build your base (investigate how to start on magic structures, a pig farm, bunny farm, hound pit etc) and - critically - hunting for McTusks whose homes you should have scouted (they appear as circular black circles on the ground) and taken into consideration in planning your base spot, making the distance during winter to regularly farm them easier by walk or wormhole. Mactusks are valuable for their rewards - its hat, probably the best headgear source of sanity, and its tusk, which can be used to craft a walking cane, an infinite durability tool that can increase movement speed for travel and kiting (which you really should just watch yt guides to learn basics & kiting patterns of mobs)

Aside from that, as another person has said, prepare prepare prepare. On day 30's night a giant will spawn and come to destroy your home. So do your research and prepare armor, weapons and food to fight back.

I suggest you watch some Youtube videos on how to play the game.  You have been asking questions like how to use a shovel, how to use the rock den and now how to prepare for winter. There are videos and guides for all of these.  What next are you going to ask how to use and umbrella for Spring, How to live threw the frog rain,  In summer how to prepare?    Watch the videos  host a game or play in endless so your world does not reset when you die.  

5 hours ago, Bee2017 said:

I suggest you watch some Youtube videos on how to play the game.  You have been asking questions like how to use a shovel, how to use the rock den and now how to prepare for winter. There are videos and guides for all of these.  What next are you going to ask how to use and umbrella for Spring, How to live threw the frog rain,  In summer how to prepare?    Watch the videos  host a game or play in endless so your world does not reset when you die.  

34 minutes ago, thomas4845 said:

i think you should just do what i do trail and error 

Both! To be certain.

TheBeard777 has a ton of tutorials videos that are actually pretty entertaining, and JamesBucket does a combination of tutorial & comedy. 

Just joining random servers and playing around will teach you quite a bit. A positive selling point of DST compared to DS is you can learn from other players around you, either by asking a question of just goofing up, so they'll tell you how you did. 

Hi, I'm glad you're enjoying DST ^^
There are a few key items that will help you a great deal in this game. You will eventually outgrow their usefulness, but early on, think of them as the foundation for your survival, they are as follows:

• Log Suit or a Football Helmet, located in the Fight tab, which will severely increase your chances to survive. Spiders deal 20 damage if you have no defense. That becomes 5 damage with either a Log Suit or a Football Helmet.
    -Log Suit requires a Science Machine to prototype
    -Football Helmet requires an Alchemy Engine to prototype
    -You can acquire the Pig Skin by killing pigmen or hammering the pig heads around a Touch Stone

• Crock Pot, located in the Food tab, which will help you greatly in combating hunger and recovering health. You can restore 30 health extremely efficiently, or 67 hunger with very expendable ingredients.
    -Crock Pot requires a Science Machine to prototype
    -You can use 2 Berries and 2 cooked Birchnuts to make a Trail Mix, a food which recovers 30 Health. The recipe is somewhat flexible, so you can use 3 Berries and 1 Birchnut instead.
    -You can use 1 Meat (any kind of meat, including Morsels and Monster Meat) and 3 fillers (those are non-specific foods, meaning you can use whatever you have available, including berries, carrots, mushrooms, etc. Just don't use more than one Monster Meat) to make Meatballs, a food which recovers 67 Hunger. This is one of the most flexible and readily available foods in the game. Think of it as a safety net, but don't be afraid to experiment.

• Miner Hat, located in the Light tab, which is a bit more complex, but it will grant you light enough to explore at night. It's more of a convenience than actual survival-need, but it will give you more time to collect resources and food.
    -Miner Hat requires an Alchemy Engine to prototype
    -You can acquire Fireflies using a bug net, at night-time. Use a torch early on to move around gathering them.
    -It can be refueled with more Fireflies.

I'll update this if I find more info, but feel free to ask any questions ^^

bonus: here are some neat mechanics you might wanna know about, but don't worry if you find anything too late-game, just ignore it for now, it'll come into play later!

I believe the guides they provided above are fairly enough for a beginner 

I would recommend you to play as a Wilson, which is great starter character from autumn to winter

For advanced tips later on:

I would recommend youtube channel James Bucket

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpEfywR5-8InJ_XMGXbqt2Q/playlists

1. "No Gameplay, Just tutorial"

2. "Bet you didn't know"

Note that:

Some of them might be available only in Don't Starve which is Single Player or outdated and mechanics changed in DST,

However, some of them still work, try it by yourself!

To see what a standard experienced Player would do in all four seasons, check this one

So, have fun!

One thing you should know: rollbacking. You can return to one of your previous saves if you screw up. It's really useful if you just want to learn the game and make some real progress while doing it, and not minding a little cheating. If you wish to return to the previous savepoint (usually the start of day) just open scoreboard (by default Tab), click those three dots at the top-left corner and choose the rollback-button. It's possible to rollback several days (up to 5 I think?) by closing the server and going to your world's settings. Just choose there the savepoint you want to continue. This can also be done while the server is on via console commands: open debug console (check your controls to see which key opens it) and type c_rollback(number of days you want to go back).

This phase when you're still learning and everything's new and exciting is the best time. Enjoy it! C:

On 30/08/2019 at 11:37 AM, trinket_4 said:

Feed some grass/twigs to the beefalo and lure it away from the herd. Don't hit it with a spear or any other weapon until you are 2 screens aqay from the herd.

Grab your spear, equip your log suit, and let's battle!

When you do your first hit, walk away (kite) so the beefalo do its attack on you, after that, hit it 5-6 times and walk away again (kite), repeat it until the beefalo is dead.

Even while their butts are red?

Archived