Cooling.

Run granite pipes throughout the base, pump water through them with an aquatuner somewhere in the mix, dumping the heat to a pool of polluted water  keeps the base cool and you use the heated polluted water to feed pepper nuts or reeds 

That is just one way, there's lots of others. They all tend to be ways to move the heat out of the base into some other medium that can be destroyed.

4 minutes ago, suxkar said:

Icemakers move heat and destroy a bit of it. Steam turbine and aquatuner combo are the final solution, but they require plastic and steel

I tried to use Icemaker, but it produces more heat than it destroys. Steam turbine with aquatuner is an unattainable luxury for me.
I am looking for a simpler and more affordable way.

8 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

They all tend to be ways to move the heat out of the base into some other medium that can be destroyed.

Is there a way to completely get rid of heat? For example, some animals are born cold and theoretically it can be used for cooling (I don’t know how effective it is).

9 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

I tried to use Icemaker, but it produces more heat than it destroys. Steam turbine with aquatuner is an unattainable luxury for me.
I am looking for a simpler and more affordable way.

Is there a way to completely get rid of heat? For example, some animals are born cold and theoretically it can be used for cooling (I don’t know how effective it is).

The amount of animals is enough to freeze your game way before serious cooling of the base would appear

Best way as was stated above...low cost...use aquatuner and dump it into reeds and/or pinchas. 

It's seriously no luxury...but probably it depends on the playstyle...

14 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

The amount of animals is enough to freeze your game way before serious cooling of the base would appear

Best way as was stated above...low cost...use aquatuner and dump it into reeds and/or pinchas. 

It's seriously no luxury...but probably it depends on the playstyle...

800 kg of refined metal and 200 plastic ... I have only two sources of water and both of them are cold steam geysers. I don’t even have cold water to cool molten metal.
So, in the game there are no good ways to destroy heat (endothermic reactions for example)?

2 minutes ago, Majestix said:

This topic has come up on the forums about 50 times now. Just search a bit before starting yet another thread on it.

My apologies.

2 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

800 kg of refined metal and 200 plastic ... I have only two sources of water and both of them are cold steam geysers. I don’t even have cold water to cool molten metal.
So, in the game there are no good ways to destroy heat (endothermic reactions for example)?

My apologies.

Who said anything about plastic? You don't need to use steam turbines in order to effectively cool with an aquatuner and liquid coolant. 

I'd like to offer up a bit of an easier solution if you use electrolyzers for oxygen. Make a small pool of water with an aquatuner and a pump, and another small pool of water for use as coolant with just a pump in it.

The aquatuner will cool the water in the coolant tank (which can be circulated to cool your base) and heat up the water around it. Have a temperature sensor pump the water to your electrolyzer when it gets close to boiling. This eliminates 9kg of hot material (water) to generate 1kg of hot material (oxygen and hydrogen). However, oxygen only holds 1/4 of the heat that water does and the hydrogen a little more than half, so you're actually left with only the amount of heat that was present in about 300-400 grams of water.

This should give you easily noticeable gains in cooling over time, although it may take a bit of time given that you're starting with near boiling water.

SECONDLY,

perhaps you might consider using this same design but instead submerging the aquatuner in ethanol or petroleum, and then burning the hot ethanol or petroleum in a petroleum generator.

Cooling in general is an easy thing. Transferring heat from one thing to another with aquatuners etc.  It is just that the one thing is your whole base. It doesn’t require a ton of cooling. it just feels like it because you likely have a lot of cycles worth of heating to now get rid of. 

Oh I forgot...do u have an ice biome? Make radiant pipes inside the biome and insulated to your base, normal pipes inside the base...cools your water for at least 30 cycles

Btw no need to apologise for asking a valuable question 

Edit. I would like to go a bit more into detail, cooling with aquatuner without a steam turbine...

Turbine is no imperative.

Pipe water or polluted water through the AT...Pipe it to your part of the base that need cooling...Pipe it back to the AT 

The AT is submerged best in polluted water...when it gets to around 100°C pump it out while you pump in some new till temp stabilizes...the water you've had pumped out goes to pincha peppers or reed....poof...heat gone...

Don't under estimate the power of targeted ice temp shift plates.  First check and see where the heat is coming from - all pipes gas & liquid that are carrying hot material into the base need to be insulated.  All heat producing machines that are in fairly continuous use need to be moved outside your main base.  After you fix that, using a combo of mesh tiles and ice temp shift plates, cool off your hottest areas.  Just watch where the water will run when it melts.  I normally use 0-10 degree C oxygen for my base which takes care of any base heat issue.  I'm trying a new asteroid this time and that's a luxury I don't have at the moment.  To put off the base heating issue until I have more time to deal with it, I installed a series of mesh tiles that let the water drain into my pond at the bottom of the main base.  I'm using ice that was dug in various ice biomes while constructing ladders to get to the sleet wheat but if your asteroid doesn't have that, you could build an ice maker outside your main base and just let it heat up it's vicinity.

Most things are much easier than they seem at first glance. You just have to actually try. Go explore. Find the things you need. Actually try to set up a polymer press. You don't even have to run it very long to get enough plastic to make some high value buildings. You don't have to make plastic ladders and comfy beds immediately. 

1 hour ago, Satyrical364 said:

The aquatuner will cool the water in the coolant tank (which can be circulated to cool your base) and heat up the water around it. Have a temperature sensor pump the water to your electrolyzer when it gets close to boiling. This eliminates 9kg of hot material (water) to generate 1kg of hot material (oxygen and hydrogen). However, oxygen only holds 1/4 of the heat that water does and the hydrogen a little more than half, so you're actually left with only the amount of heat that was present in about 300-400 grams of water.

Just destroy the superheated substance and the heat will disappear nowhere? More like using a bug. Okay, I use an electrolyzer to destroy water, but it will heat up by itself and in order not to create even more problems, you will have to use a gas pump and a gas filter (and a generator for all this). But they also give off heat. Will this whole structure consume more heat than it emits?

"Oh I forgot...do u have an ice biome? Make radiant pipes inside the biome and insulated to your base, normal pipes inside the base...cools your water for at least 30 cycles"

No, I examined half the map and did not find an ice biome.

I noticed such a thing: it does not matter what temperature the water comes to irrigate the algae, the polluted water from them always has 30 degrees. Does the remaining heat simply disappear?

1 hour ago, 0rutyna0 said:

How is it possible to effectively cool the base without Wheezeworts and Anti Entropy Thermo-Nullifier?

Turbine / AT to cool anything.

Make early Drecko to have plastic, and steel it's no so hard to have.

2 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

Just destroy the superheated substance and the heat will disappear nowhere? More like using a bug.

This is the way the game works. You ask how to manage heat and we tell you how to delete it. What do you expect? There is no other conceivable way of eliminating heat other than putting heat into a medium and then isolating or eliminating that medium.

Ways of cooling i use:

- Gas run through colder liquid.

- Through liquid run colder converyor belt.

- Extract temp from one gas running colder gas pipes through (after warmer gas can be reused or destroyed. CO2 to slicksters, chlorine to puffs, space ( i don't use space).

- extract heat from warmer liquid running warmer liquid through - similar to gas ( water through PO - after water to electrolyzer an PO2 to pincha farm)

Destroyers:

Steam turbine, critters.

Everything else is careful shifting temp thrpugh different states to get something you need ( cookiking crude oil using hydrogen from copper volcano is my latest project).

There are two basic ways to cool your base area:  Move the heat somewhere else, or destroy the heat.

The first case, moving the heat elsewhere, is the most flexible.  You can do it in a very large number of ways.  The most common is using a thermal aquatuner, as it gives a great deal of flexibility as well as moves a huge amount of heat within a small building complex.  However, there are many other methods that can be done with materials as simple as sandstone.

For example, counter-current heat exchangers work very well.  The simplest is a long sandstone floor with water and polluted water flowing in opposite directions (clean water 'floats' on polluted water).  However, they can be a little tricky and finicky.  You need to balance your flows, maintain constant rates, and take into consideration the thermal properties of both liquids.  

Another way to move heat is to use a radiator system.  You can, for example, put a pump in a cold pool, put some radiant piping in a hot area, then dump the liquid into another pool.  I do this a lot early in my base design because it allows me to stabilize my base temperatures quickly and easily -- but those hot pools will eventually need to be dealt with later in my base development.

For the second case, destroying the heat, we have things like wheezewart and Anti-Entropy device.  There are also phase-changes, destroying hot materials (feed hot petrol to generators, vent to space, etc), and some buildings (steam turbines, for example turn heat into power).  Other examples include temperature clamping, which you observed as part of the lifecycle of critters.  

Some methods are hybrids of the two.  For example, you can use a slush geyser to cool your base.  Technically you aren't actually removing the heat, you're just transferring it into a colder element.  The geyser itself can be considered a heat sink, because the material is continually renewed at a temperature lower than your base needs to be.  A volcano can be seen as  a heat source, since it continually produces material at a temperature much higher than you want your base to be.  Anyway, once the heat has been transferred into the polluted water, it can be fed to pincha peppers or arbor trees where it is removed from the asteroid, taking its heat energy along with it.

I am aware that I am not directly answering your question.  Instead, I'm trying to give you (and others) some concepts to use as a foundation for designing your own methods of controlling the temperatures within your base.  My hope is stimulate creativity, rather than giving everyone a cookie-cutter "This is how you do it" answer.   If you want the cookie-cutter method, then put an aquatuner under a steam turbine and you're done.

Cooling a base at scale always comes down to three things:

1. Moving a coolant around
  2. Transferring heat from the coolant into a heat sink
  3. Deleting heat from the heat sink

1 is usually polluted water in pipes because it's easy to get a lot of it and it helps with 2, which is almost always an aquatuner in water or polluted water. 3 has various solutions, with the steam turbine being a nice way to recover energy in the process, but growing pincha peppers or just dumping it into space works okay.

Resources are hard, but it's really only steel that's the problem (because you need the metal refinery for it, which itself demands at the very least dumping the heat in a pool you can cool down later); lead is easily gotten from the oil biome and makes a great turbine material, while plastic can be gotten from dreckos or the polymer press (I recommend the former as two shearings does it, while the polymer press needs to run 4 times and has a tendency to demand its own heat solutions). One thing I've done in my most recent base is build a steam turbine with no aquatuner just for metal refining, then later cool it down with my main cooling loop. Don't be afraid of steam turbines, they're kind of crazy at deleting heat.

Hello!  First time posting here so please be gentle.  On my first run through, about 350 cycles in.  My colony is reasonably self sufficient and I am just pushing towards space exploration.  In terms of cooling things though, I've had a read through some of the suggestions here and was wondering whether using heat exchange with vacuum was viable?  I suspect it might be too cold, but having had nightmares sorting out cracked pipes already, and mopping up a LOT of polluted water, I was hoping to save some time and effort, if someone has already tried it and it doesn't work.

If it's a no-go, I'll try some of the other excellent options in this and other threads.

Thanks in advance!

On 8/28/2019 at 2:55 PM, 0rutyna0 said:

Plastic is not a problem.

20190828225124_1.thumb.jpg.6a3d7dacf0f760c44d9a40d11588f1e2.jpg

I like but. Even replacing the electrolyzer you are short on plants to keep 8 glossies fed. I know I know technically every bite fully feeds and starvation timer and yadda yadda. I play assuming those kinds of things will be patched out before the next time I boot up the game. That way I never have to scramble to fix something later. Especially if its something that requires a careful balance of gasses like a Drecko ranch. 

Also will sweepers be able to reach every bit of floor and have room for a conveyor loader? Once you've conveyed eggs to a side room to be hatched and killed with automation you never go back. Meat is close to twice the kcal value and higher quality than eggs after all. 

Archived