Antlion Gender

I read something like this on the wiki: <<When the Antlion was first released, several characters referred to it as a female. These examination quotes were later changed to a gender-neutral "it">>

.But many people still think that it is a woman even though it has a mane.

What do you think about it?

I prefer to think of the Antlion as female because it fits Charlie's theme well. Male lions are traditionally referred to as "the kings of the jungle", so it makes a lot of sense that Charlie would create a lioness to act as the "queen" of summer. While rare, it is actually possible for lionesses to grow manes, so I don't think that's anything to get hung up on.

Either way, we've also got a female Goose with antlers. I'm pretty sure the goal when creating hybrid animals in DS is to make them immediately recognizable, regardless of whether it makes perfect sense biologically. The Dragonfly has no halteres, for example, and people don't question that, because it has the most iconic features of both dragons and flies, and so it's immediately recognizable as a dragon/fly hybrid.

I've just been trying to refer to antlion as "It" like all the characters do.

As for the main seasonal four on the other hand...
I've always called Deerclops and Bearger male, and Goose/Dragonfly female, and part of me likes the idea that out of the seasonal four that it's an even 50/50 split.

3 hours ago, Terra_Zina said:

It's based of an ant queen, but it's also based on a lion king. So it's whatever you want it to be.

Personally for me, I always saw it as a queen, and thus female. I always liked to imagine her having a kingdom underground like ants do.

Ants have only one true queen: Queen Womant (maybe antlion is her son/daughter).

I always thought it was a female.

All her quotes referred to it as a female in the older days before they were made gender neutral. 

Plus we can't use the mane excuse, there's been cases of female real lions having manes too. Rare, but possible.

Plus she's got exaggerated eyelashes... one 1 eye... to be honest this one bothers me.

31 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Kris has gone on the record saying that all giants are female, excluding Klaus and Ancient Fuelweaver/Reanimated Skeleton.

I can't cite my source. because she said it on stream and that was yonks ago...so it's long gone. :cower:

That's cursed, I felt happy beating up a giantic bear who would otherwise vore all my foods in one big face monch  but then it was just a badger mama looking for babydger food :?

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Kris has gone on the record saying that all giants are female, excluding Klaus and Ancient Fuelweaver/Reanimated Skeleton.

I can't cite my source. because she said it on stream and that was yonks ago...so it's long gone. :cower:

You know, I actually remember this one.

However, wasn't it retconned to be the RoG only bosses because people didn't like the first statement? I vividly remember the retcon.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

You know, I actually remember this one.

However, wasn't it retconned to be the RoG only bosses because people didn't like the first statement? I vividly remember the retcon.

No, they did say that it included:

• RoG Giants
    • Deerclops
    • Dragonfly
    • The one I can't accurately say...Goose/Goose
    • Bearger
  • Bee Queen...for obvious purposes :wilson_sneaky:
  • Toadstool

...and I now realize that's basically all of them. The exclusions that Kris mentioned were Klaus and Ancient Fuelweaver/Reanimated Skeleton, and that's basically all of the DST giants. 

Do the Shadow Chess count as giants? I think the real discussion we should be having here are the genders of the Shadow Chess Pieces.:wilson_curious:

Spoiler

Also apparently IRL Antlions have wings...so I suppose we should be glad that the one we have isn't able to take the sandstorm with her TO us. :cower:

Spoiler

It would be funny that as soon as summer starts Antlion just wooshes into your base, sets up her own camp, and goes about ruining your life. :wilson_ecstatic:

The Antlion (giant) is  based on an antlion larva (adults have wings), which was added a mane from a lion, and ant antennas. In general, antlions have little to no sexual dimorphism. Also, from what I could find, only 3 characters referred to it as female (Wilson, Webber, and Wigfrid), out of the 3, Wigfrid started calling it lion, which can be both neutral and male; but usually is used to refer to male lions.

So I have 2 theories:

• They wanted to make Antlion a male but made a couple of writing mistakes and decided to keep it ambiguous for convenience.
  • Or they wanted to make it apparent that there is more than one Antlion, but it became confusing having clear female pronouns with neutral/male pronouns in different characters, and decided to keep it neutral.

9 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

It impossible: Deerclops is called "King of the Winter", Shadow pieces have no body so they don't have gender, and antlion have a mane.

(Just because Kris says something doesn't mean it's true)

10 hours ago, -Variant said:

I always thought it was a female.

All her quotes referred to it as a female in the older days before they were made gender neutral. 

Plus we can't use the mane excuse, there's been cases of female real lions having manes too. Rare, but possible.

Plus she's got exaggerated eyelashes... one 1 eye... to be honest this one bothers me.

Female humans have mustache too, rare but possible

2 hours ago, maciu67 said:

It impossible: Deerclops is called "King of the Winter", Shadow pieces have no body so they don't have gender, and antlion have a mane.

(Just because Kris says something doesn't mean it's true)

Okay then, so what you're saying is...Deerclops is genderfluid. :wilson_sneaky:

Kris is the loremaster, anything she says is automatically canon.

They're just trying to hide the fact deep down so that only the REAL fans know the truth. 

Wake up, open your eyes to the truth!

Spoiler

/joke

On ‎2019‎-‎08‎-‎29 at 12:14 PM, watermelen671 said:

Okay then, so what you're saying is...Deerclops is genderfluid

Deerclops is just male since he has antlers.

On ‎2019‎-‎08‎-‎29 at 12:14 PM, watermelen671 said:

Kris is the loremaster, anything she says is automatically canon.

They're just trying to hide the fact deep down so that only the REAL fans know the truth. 

Wake up, open your eyes to the truth!

My mathematics profesor may say that 2+2=3 and Kris may say that antlion or deerclops are female

Archived