What is hardest possible map?

Ok so what would be an absolute hardest map possible to play on?

Aridio? With geodormant/lava channels almost no water geysers or something?

I'm playing aridio and i'm having too much fun in it and i selected frozen core/geodormant/metal rich. No I do not use frozen core as cooling :D

Also charity pod is turned off. When you turn off charity pod, maps really get distinct flavor and you don't have everything on every map.

Oasis is a fair bit harder than aridio. But I also find it less interesting (sand for days)

Aridio is 2nd most challenging.

Traits, depends on your point of view. Geo dormant, metal poor, maybe magma channels.

I agree, Oasis is hard to get started.  Volcanea can be an easy start, but a very hard end game

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8703e6707b7a49e3d5e711cc0c25c30e.png

I can't use a nat gas geyser (bottom) because by time I researched insulation, it was already well over 1000c in there and full of phosphorus gas.  A biome to my right has turned into igneous rock because of magma melting everything.  A giant boulder to my right is 1200c obsidian.  I haven't been able to find oil yet, so steel is my best material and it doesn't come close to dealing with the heat.

54 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I agree, Oasis is hard to get started.  Volcanea can be an easy start, but a very hard end game

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.8703e6707b7a49e3d5e711cc0c25c30e.png

I can't use a nat gas geyser (bottom) because by time I researched insulation, it was already well over 1000c in there and full of phosphorus gas.  A biome to my right has turned into igneous rock because of magma melting everything.  A giant boulder to my right is 1200c obsidian.  I haven't been able to find oil yet, so steel is my best material and it doesn't come close to dealing with the heat.

Lol i have the same problem with nat gas on oasis.  Plus i have liquid phosphorus in there and trying to find way to cool it down on this god forsaken map :)

1 hour ago, avc15 said:

Oasis is a fair bit harder than aridio. But I also find it less interesting (sand for days)

Aridio is 2nd most challenging.

Traits, depends on your point of view. Geo dormant, metal poor, maybe magma channels.

The Geyser too! a slush made arido/oasis so much easy!

You'll need to turn to mods if you want anything genuinely challenging.

I have a mod, Vesuvia, that's Volcanea without abyssalite: https://github.com/facepalm/oni-extreme-worlds

Spoiler

5d5dd5284bfb6_Cycle10-Theraceison.thumb.png.a8368eabc92e525c791d5ca8fd6a0076.png

I can also heartily recommend Pholith's Emptera mod (it's on Steam), which gives you the starting biome and that's about it.

Spoiler

Emptera.thumb.png.76bb1cf59307f108a61a7537435acc68.png

The first is a chaotic scramble to secure resources before the heat does, the second is a forced march to early-game sustainability.

It's meant to be a very cold map, much colder than Rime.  Almost entirely ice of various kinds with flecks of stone.  Liquid pockets of methane, hydrogen, etc everywhere, so power's abundant but you'll want to keep heat from escaping your base or else everything will melt.  I started with it first, but then I did Vesuvia as a gimmick to test getting rid of abyssalite, only that turned out to be survivable and fun, so I just haven't gotten back to the cold yet.

Oh, it gives me ideas for a new mod that.

It's true that my Emptera mod is difficult but I made sure to make it accessible and playable, a map with only extreme temperatures doesn't exist yet, it doesn't bother anyone if I take the idea for a new hardcore maps mod ? :D

On 8/21/2019 at 8:27 AM, bmilohill said:

Badlands. It's not that it is difficult, but it's so boring I don't have the stamina to care enough to get a base to survive 

Same. It's too boring. I could ranch stone hatches, but i'm tired of waiting for the skill points to make a rancher

On 8/21/2019 at 7:27 AM, bmilohill said:

Badlands. It's not that it is difficult, but it's so boring I don't have the stamina to care enough to get a base to survive 

Currently playing oasis... haven't found it difficult, just annoying. You want to get hatches up soonish, but ranching is a) tedious until you get automation and b) fps-death inducing.

Vacuum-wall off the starting biome fairly soon... helps a lot.

With the exception of plants most things survive just fine up to ~70C.

If you have to, off at the extreme edges of the map tends to be cool areas. If your main area gets too warm you can e.g. move your farms to one of them (and again vacuum-wall it off).

I actually rather like oasis, all things considered.

5 minutes ago, TLW said:

Currently playing oasis... haven't found it difficult, just annoying. You want to get hatches up soonish, but ranching is a) tedious until you get automation and b) fps-death inducing.

Vacuum-wall off the starting biome fairly soon... helps a lot.

With the exception of plants most things survive just fine up to ~70C.

If you have to, off at the extreme edges of the map tends to be cool areas. If your main area gets too warm you can e.g. move your farms to one of them (and again vacuum-wall it off).

I actually rather like oasis, all things considered.

Oasis is like "you have to know what you are doing" especially due to heat management. No ice biomes meaning no wolframite so no tungsten ( useful of tameing volcanos), lots of hot areas in random places ( heat overlay is your friend and careful breaking abyssalite), farms needs extra cooling etc. It is doable though ( i play on it for 1800+ cycles). I love it. ;)

If you want a challenge, do a playthrough trying to get every achievement.  I did it on Oasisse and it definitely changed how I played.  Not being able to use coal or wood burners early made it so I had almost no oxygen for the first 100 cycles.  Can't plant anything so you have to deal with wild growing oxyferns which aren't good at making oxygen or removing carbon dioxide.  Gotta risk heat stroke to get to wild growing plants outside of the starting biome. 

After getting Locavore and Carnivore it becomes much easier, but it's quite a challenge for the beginning of the game

42 minutes ago, kerosene said:

I think it's Oasisse with geodormant, volcanoes, and no good traits or good geysers.

Metal poor is only a small reduction in metals, it's not very noticable.

Probably add in Magma channels or something for extra heat.

The frozen core trait actually is really annoying for geysers.  It seems like half of your geysers will spawn down there, making it take far longer to find all of them and slowing down your mid-game quite a bit.  It's turned me off of that trait.  Though if you're looking for a challenge, that plus geodormant will mean a lot fewer geysers to rely on earlier on.

I am playing Ardio, all max difficulty, geodormant, metals poor and small boulders. At turn 150 I get to place I usually get at Turn 50.
It forced to use thinks like Ice Makers, Ice fans, water cooler which I never feel need to use before. Forced me to Use 30C water to delete heat by cooling Ice Makers By Granite pipes and then feed Oxygen ferns. Basically, heat water from 30 to 35C and then feed to fern. Even this small deletion is enough to cool base in general when running two icemakers.

My conclusion, Ardio probably most difficult to start, Oasis most difficult all around.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, Lurve said:

It's meant to be a very cold map, much colder than Rime.  Almost entirely ice of various kinds with flecks of stone.  Liquid pockets of methane, hydrogen, etc everywhere, so power's abundant but you'll want to keep heat from escaping your base or else everything will melt.  I started with it first, but then I did Vesuvia as a gimmick to test getting rid of abyssalite, only that turned out to be survivable and fun, so I just haven't gotten back to the cold yet.

I can't find map like that anywhere.

I love playing Oasisse with Mineral Poor and Volcanoes traits. I got trouble figuring out if I like more Geodormant or Geoactive. Second one will give you more Geysers and on this map it means more heat provided by each one... but it also means more probability of finding good one. On my last play I had water 30°C and carbon dioxide -55°C just right to my base, which made a game a little less challenging.
And what do you think about magma channels? Do they add much heat to the map? Which is worse magma channels or Volcanoes? Or should I always use them both for bigger challenge?

I had nice gameplay with old mod "Absolute Zero" and "Lights Out". -170C Cold outside of starting biome. All live forms are freeze to death, the only source of light are bugs. Oil are frozen, natural gas goes too cold even with insulating pipes, so you have to build infrastructure with light, controlling temperature. Animal eggs still spawn but die quickly.

With late patches starting biome is no more, so that king of game are wasted. Anyway, I don't think it's extremely difficult, while there are no diseases and overheating, but at least you need all that power, lights and even water boilers.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:36 AM, Lurve said:

Doesn't work or I installing it wrong.

Archived