So this has been mentioned recently in several threads, but I wanted to start a discussion to hopefully garner some feedback on the current state of things.  Ever since the geysers were overhauled, there's been a huge imbalance in output among the different variants.  While I'm okay with certain geysers being better than others, the difference between a 'good' and 'bad' geyser at the moment seems quite out of whack.  

Low Output
Leaky Oil Fissure            1-250g/s    
Carbon Dioxide Geyser  3-30g/s
Carbon Dioxide Vent      5-50g/s
Hydrogen Vent               5-50g/s
Steam Vent           	     10-100g/s
Hot PO2 Vent    		    15-180g/s
Infectious PO2 Vent      15-180g/s

Normal Output
Chlorine Geyser            15-180g/s
Natural Gas Geyser      15-180g/s
Copper Volcano         50-500g/s
Iron Volcano              50-500g/s
Gold Volcano			50-500g/s
Minor Volcano           100-1000g/s
Cool Steam Vent       200-2500g/s
Volcano                		200-2000g/s
Water Geyser            500-5000g/s
Cool Slush Geyser    500-5000g/s
Polluted Water Vent  500-5000g/s

Excuse the horrible formatting, but here are the geysers and their ranges as taken from oni-db.com.  The bottom list is fine, nobody seems to have any issue with any of the geysers in the bottom list.  I included chlorine and NG in the 'Normal' output list, because even though their output is low, it seems inline with their uses/purpose in game.  

But why is it that a Cool Steam Vent has 200 times the output of a regular Steam Vent?  The Hydrogen Vent, if you get one at the very top of the range, only outputs enough H2 to run a generator half the time.  Compare this to a NG geyser, with the halfway mark of the range being enough to power a NG gen full time.

Then you have the CO2 vent/geyser, which if you're lucky, might provide enough CO2 for a SINGLE slickster.  Or maybe you'll get a PO2 vent, that you either have to cool or disinfect and MIGHT give enough O2 for a SINGLE dupe.  Compare this to any of the water geysers, which can be pumped into an electrolizer and even at the low end (500g/s) provide enough O2 for 4-5 dupes (and MORE H2 than a H2 Vent).

I'm all for variety, and I'd love to be able to take advantage of any of the geysers found, but the output on many of them simple don't justify the time or infrastructure needed to take advantage of their pathetic output.  The end result is that I end up only interacting with about half the geysers in the game.  I don't think I'm alone in this approach, and it would be nice to see it addressed before ONI officially launches.

Your breakdown is a bit odd. Leaky Oil Fissure is never dormant and you need to add very little heat to it to get petroleum. You have Hot and Infectious PO2 listed in Low Output and Chlorine and NG in Normal Output, despite all of them having same average output.

Steam, CO2 and Hydrogen vents output at 500C, CO2 geyser at -55C so maybe think of them as heat sources?

What is it that you propose though? Buff the weak ones and leave others alone? That would lead to situation where you get too many resources and end up not using them anyway. Especially if you roll geoactive.

1 minute ago, Grimgaw said:

Your breakdown is a bit odd. Leaky Oil Fissure is never dormant and you need to add very little heat to it to get petroleum. You have Hot and Infectious PO2 listed in Low Output and Chlorine and NG in Normal Output, despite all of them having same average output.

Steam, CO2 and Hydrogen vents output at 500C, CO2 geyser at -55C so maybe think of them as heat sources?

What is it that you propose though? Buff the weak ones and leave others alone? That would lead to situation where you get too many resources and end up not using them anyway. Especially if you roll geoactive.

I addressed the Chlorine and NG output in the post, if you read it.

The output of the geysers you listed as heat sources is too low to have any meaningful use.  There are much better places to find heat.

Yes, I think they should buff the weak ones and leave the others.  The wild swing in difficulty between randomly generated geysers on the map seems out of place in a game where you may put hundreds of hours into any given base.  There are difficulty settings when creating the game that can be controlled by the player.  I'd rather not see RNG play as large of a role in the difficulty of a base, but rather the variety.  Now with the addition of world traits, the player has even more control over the difficulty of a map prior to starting.  Personally I don't like spending a significant amount of time on a map only to find that the difficulty is much higher than I'd like due to RNG not working in my favor.

2 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

The bottom list is fine, nobody seems to have any issue with any of the geysers in the bottom list.

Well, there have been some comments regarding the cooling provided by the Cool Slush Geyser. Considering that it is both a p-water and cooling source, it wouldn't be totally unjustified to have a lower output than its counterparts. Then again the same could be said about the Water Geyser in the context of Rime. But otherwise the output of this set of geysers seems fine to me.

With the other list, I feel like some of the hotter geysers still live in a "pre-space" world: low output - so they can be tamed more easily.

2 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

Personally I don't like spending a significant amount of time on a map only to find that the difficulty is much higher than I'd like due to RNG not working in my favor.

Are you saying that having extra 500C pO2, CO2, Steam or Hydrogen would make your game less difficult (besides sticking steam turbine on top of either of them)?

Do you really need more Oil on the map?

I agree they need some work as far a balance goes but for the sake of this discussion should the numbers being used not be the average output min/max? Like someone above said about the oil fissure it’s on all the time so the average output is higher in comparison to the others on the list.

6 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Are you saying that having extra 500C pO2, CO2, Steam or Hydrogen would make your game less difficult (besides sticking steam turbine on top of either of them)?

Do you really need more Oil on the map?

I'm saying it would be nice to have some variety in the geysers I tame between games, rather than finding out if I got lucky or not after spending a considerable amount of time working on a base.  The balance is too far off based on which geysers you end up getting on a map.  There's a significant difference between a map with 4-5 water based geysers versus 4-5 CO2 geysers.

Honestly, I'd be okay with the values remaining the same if they modified the spawn chances instead.  For example, if we were guaranteed to get half of our geysers from each list, that would help minimize the variance in difficulty based on RNG.  But as it is now, you can get really unlucky and get all low output geysers, or you can get very lucky and get all high output geysers.  As I said, I don't like having to put significant time into a map before knowing how difficult my playthough will be.

2 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

I agree they need some work as far a balance goes but for the sake of this discussion should the numbers being used not be the average output min/max? Like someone above said about the oil fissure it’s on all the time so the average output is higher in comparison to the others on the list.

That's exactly what the values I have listed represent.  These are AVERAGE outputs, not just the output when they are active.

Seems like a low-prio issue honestly. The only one that is sometimes-OP is cool slush, and even that is situational these days. You could seek a slight bump in CO2 and Hydrogen I guess (shrug).

The more you buff the geysers, the more the game turns into just "hunt down the geysers". 

When I find a slush geyser, that's eight more dupes I can support and a steam turbine I don't have to build.  A sizable portion of my infrastructure shifts over its way to exploit it.

When I find a CO2 vent, I don't even bother walling it back up.  It would be nice if it made enough CO2 for a nontrivial amount of oil or dirt.

13 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

There's a significant difference between a map with 4-5 water based geysers versus 4-5 CO2 geysers.

If you need 4-5 water geysers to consider it 'not difficult' then having 4-5 buffed CO2 geysers won't change that.

New maps generate with more geysers already, if you roll geoactive you can end up with 16 vents + oil wells. That's A LOT of resources.

1 minute ago, Grimgaw said:

If you need 4-5 water geysers to consider it 'not difficult' then having 4-5 buffed CO2 geysers won't change that.

Pretty sure that's not at all what I said.  I'd just like to see the difficulty based on settings I select at the start, not random stuff I discover while I play.

I like the idea of geysers influencing what I can do in the map.  I don't like that "what I can do" is sometimes just "keep looking for more geysers."

I'd suggest halving the water geyser and metal volcano outputs, and multiplying the duds' by 5.  Nothing should be a game changer the way cool slush is right now, but nothing should be useless either. It should always be worth it to put up *some* kind of infrastructure to exploit a geyser, whatever it happens to be.

3 minutes ago, Lurve said:

Nothing should be a game changer the way cool slush is right now, but nothing should be useless either. It should always be worth it to put up *some* kind of infrastructure to exploit a geyser, whatever it happens to be.

I like this. Cool slushies are way to over powered, while lots of geyers are "oh well, that was worthless...."  If each geyser provided enough to do something useful, but not dictate an entire change of game, that would be great. 

I will frequently use the seed database or the save file analyzer/editor to make sure I don't get stuck with a bad geyser setup. Ideally a few volcanos is ideal for making petroleum early on. I don't even fully uncover CO2 PO2 or hot steam because they are so low yield.

43 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

That's exactly what the values I have listed represent.  These are AVERAGE outputs, not just the output when they are active.

Nope, the actual average output is in 95% of the cases in the 40-60% range of (min+max)/2 with leaky Oil Fissures having a value of 251 (1+250), the common output is between 100.4 and 150.6 g/s. For more see https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Geyser.

For Oil Fissures that's 60 to 90 kg/cycle. That's pretty balanced, like suitable for more than half a rocket if not all of it when boiled or using LOX or taking one cargo bay away.

• with two cargo to the first 10k it takes 379 kg and 3 cycles i.e 180-270kg is covered,
  • for 20k it is 630 kg and 6 cycles i.e 360-540 kg
  • 30k km, 928kg, 9 cycles, 540-810kg
  • 40k km, 1237kg, 12 cycles, 720-1080kg
  • 50k km, 1601kg, 15 cycles, 900-1350kg
  • 60k km, 2212kg, 18 cycles, 1080-1620kg
  • 70k N/A with two but with just one... 

Leaky Oil Fissure has by no means little output, Oil Wells simply output too much.

I can agree, that

• Hydrogen Vents output too little (You need 4-5 for one Generator, never mind ten times as long as Oil Fissures for the hydrogen engine. My suggestion would be along the lines of tripling it.
  • Hot Steam Vent output is too little. It should be the same Cool Steam Vents, the more heat is balanced by the, well, more heat.
  • CO2 Geyser, same level as Leaky Oil: 100-150 g/s
  • CO2 Vent: About the same, mayhaps more to cover 4 Slicksters, by no means less than one.
  • PO2 should double their outputs at least.

15 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Hot Steam Vent output is too little. It should be the same Cool Steam Vents, the more heat is balanced by the, well, more heat.

That would make WAY better than Cool Steam if you put Steam Turbine on top of it. Not only would you get free power but also cooler output at 95C.

2 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

Honestly, I'd be okay with the values remaining the same if they modified the spawn chances instead.  For example, if we were guaranteed to get half of our geysers from each list, that would help minimize the variance in difficulty based on RNG.  But as it is now, you can get really unlucky and get all low output geysers, or you can get very lucky and get all high output geysers.  As I said, I don't like having to put significant time into a map before knowing how difficult my playthough will be.

I think this really is the problem of geysers right now, the fact that you can end up with a terribad combo that just makes you want to restart a game. I'm all for challenge and difficulty, but let's not forget one thing : a lot of people don't have the freedom to play games as much as we probably do. Not everyone can invest hundreds or thousands of hours in a game and restart a base if the geyser combo is bad. Losing a game is already extremely long, no need to add frustration.

Like I said, (and like you said), it's not a matter of difficulty, but more a matter of control over the variables of the world. Having 5 NG geysers on a map trivialize a game and should not be possible. Same goes for having multiple CO2 vents/geysers or multiple Chlorine geysers : it's useless and frustrating and should not possible.

I think most of them are fine; the standout issues are:

• Cool slush output (like all the liquid water ones) is absolutely ludicrous, as one of them can solve your needs for polluted water, water, oxygen by extension, and cooling all at once
  • CO2 is a joke
  • Hydrogen is a bit of a laugh too

3 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

I'm saying it would be nice to have some variety in the geysers I tame between games, rather than finding out if I got lucky or not after spending a considerable amount of time working on a base.  The balance is too far off based on which geysers you end up getting on a map.  There's a significant difference between a map with 4-5 water based geysers versus 4-5 CO2 geysers.

THIS.  I hate starting a base now if I can't first use the seed finder database and make sure it has what I want to play. 

And I absolutely love slush geysers for when I want to play with more dupes than I normally would as I typically play a really slow build game with very few dupes.  I really hope they do not nerf them.  If you don't want to play with them or feel they are overpowered, no one is forcing you to do so, brick them up.  But if they nerf them considerably then that means those of us who use them to play differently when we play on a map that has one can no longer play that way.  I really want to play on the lava world with one, but I'm not up to putting in the hours and hours of work to discover if there happens to be one or not. 

I've always maintained Polluted (and now Salt water) Geysers should produce about 30-35% less mass on average then they do right now, and Slush should be about 50-65% less then they currently do, due to the usefulness of both as coolant. It doesn't really make sense that they produce about the same mass as Water Geysers, which are hot, and more then Cool Steam Vents which require some effort to condense before use.

I actually remember making a specific post a few months ago with various values for tuning geysers. I think I said something like 2-3x for Hydrogen Vents, like 10x for CO2 geysers (seriously they suck), 2x for PO2, 4x for Hot Steam, and the above suggestions for the water geysers. It's fine if some geysers are better then others, but it's a joke currently where I literally only care about Cool Steam/Water/Polluted/Slush/Volcanoes and MAYBE Nat Gas (even those are somewhat situational tbh). And Oil Wells, but those don't really work/spawn the same way other geysers do so they are sort of outside the geyser ecosystem as it were.

Also since Chlorine has a few more uses now, some tweaks to that geyser might be needed (and to Gassy Moos IMHO but that is a separate topic), but it's hard to say if it does need a change, or how much specifically as Table Salt (ie what you get from Dasha Saltvines which use Chlorine) is kind of awful right now (+1 morale) for the labour involved in crushing it up and I am curious if that will be improved (and Rust Deoxidizers require Rust which isn't renewable and tends to be the limiting factor as there is plenty of salt to dig up).

5 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

I can agree, that

• Hydrogen Vents output too little (You need 4-5 for one Generator, never mind ten times as long as Oil Fissures for the hydrogen engine. My suggestion would be along the lines of tripling it.
  • Hot Steam Vent output is too little. It should be the same Cool Steam Vents, the more heat is balanced by the, well, more heat.
  • CO2 Vent: About the same, mayhaps more to cover 4 Slicksters, by no means less than one.

I really really really wish klei would do this.  can this be modded? lol

6 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

I can agree, that

I agree that the CO2 is useless for such low amount, even high amount is  not very useful. 

I think it is just used to let u feel happier when u discover a non-CO2 vent. When everything is good, u will not treasure the good one.

btw, it turns out I need to check all the geyser type in debug mode before I invest my time in.

21 minutes ago, Dosephshih said:

btw, it turns out I need to check all the geyser type in debug mode before I invest my time in.

People have been doing this since.....  Well, it was before Rocketry.  Whichever update that was.  The seed sharing browser has been phenomenal for that, and after launch will continue to be so.  I have a list of features that I have minimums, exacts, and less thans.

3 hours ago, DaveSatx said:

I really really really wish klei would do this.  can this be modded? lol

Quite easily so, though I personally still lack the template to make a simple change of numbers. This is the code bit that would be changed

Spoiler

// Token: 0x06005CA5 RID: 23717 RVA: 0x001E8080 File Offset: 0x001E6480
	private List<GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams> GenerateConfigs()
	{
		return new List<GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams>
		{
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_steam_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("steam", SimHashes.Steam, 383.15f, 200f, 2500f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_steam_hot_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("hot_steam", SimHashes.Steam, 773.15f, 10f, 100f, 15f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_liquid_water_hot_kanim", 4, 2, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("hot_water", SimHashes.Water, 368.15f, 500f, 5000f, 500f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_liquid_water_slush_kanim", 4, 2, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("slush_water", SimHashes.DirtyWater, 263.15f, 500f, 5000f, 500f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_liquid_water_filthy_kanim", 4, 2, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("filthy_water", SimHashes.DirtyWater, 303.15f, 500f, 5000f, 500f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f).AddDisease(new SimUtil.DiseaseInfo
			{
				idx = Db.Get().Diseases.GetIndex("FoodPoisoning"),
				count = 20000
			})),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_liquid_water_filthy_kanim", 4, 2, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("salt_water", SimHashes.SaltWater, 303.15f, 500f, 5000f, 500f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f).AddDisease(new SimUtil.DiseaseInfo
			{
				idx = Db.Get().Diseases.GetIndex("FoodPoisoning"),
				count = 20000
			})),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_molten_volcano_small_kanim", 3, 3, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("small_volcano", SimHashes.Magma, 2000f, 100f, 1000f, 150f, 6000f, 12000f, 0.005f, 0.01f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_molten_volcano_big_kanim", 3, 3, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("big_volcano", SimHashes.Magma, 2000f, 200f, 2000f, 150f, 6000f, 12000f, 0.005f, 0.01f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_liquid_co2_kanim", 4, 2, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("liquid_co2", SimHashes.LiquidCarbonDioxide, 218f, 3f, 30f, 50f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_co2_hot_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("hot_co2", SimHashes.CarbonDioxide, 773.15f, 5f, 50f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_hydrogen_hot_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("hot_hydrogen", SimHashes.Hydrogen, 773.15f, 5f, 50f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_po2_hot_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("hot_po2", SimHashes.ContaminatedOxygen, 773.15f, 15f, 180f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_po2_slimy_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("slimy_po2", SimHashes.ContaminatedOxygen, 333.15f, 15f, 180f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f).AddDisease(new SimUtil.DiseaseInfo
			{
				idx = Db.Get().Diseases.GetIndex("SlimeLung"),
				count = 5000
			})),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_chlorine_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("chlorine_gas", SimHashes.ChlorineGas, 333.15f, 15f, 180f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_gas_methane_kanim", 2, 4, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("methane", SimHashes.Methane, 423.15f, 15f, 180f, 5f, 60f, 1140f, 0.1f, 0.9f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_molten_copper_kanim", 3, 3, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("molten_copper", SimHashes.MoltenCopper, 2500f, 50f, 500f, 150f, 480f, 1080f, 0.016666668f, 0.1f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_molten_iron_kanim", 3, 3, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("molten_iron", SimHashes.MoltenIron, 2800f, 50f, 500f, 150f, 480f, 1080f, 0.016666668f, 0.1f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_molten_gold_kanim", 3, 3, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("molten_gold", SimHashes.MoltenGold, 2900f, 50f, 500f, 150f, 480f, 1080f, 0.016666668f, 0.1f, 15000f, 135000f, 0.4f, 0.8f)),
			new GeyserGenericConfig.GeyserPrefabParams("geyser_liquid_oil_kanim", 4, 2, new GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType("oil_drip", SimHashes.CrudeOil, 600f, 1f, 250f, 50f, 600f, 600f, 1f, 1f, 100f, 500f, 0.4f, 0.8f))
		};
	}

The parameters are, in order: sprite, height, width, name, element, Temperature (in K), min amount/s, max amount/s, Max Pressure in kg, Eruption Period min/s, Eruption Period max/s, Eruption Amount min in %, 1=100%, Eruption Amount max in %, 1=100%, Active Period min in s, Active Period max in s, Active, Active Period min in %, 1=100%, Active Period max in %, Disease Config, Disease type, Germ number

or like it is called in code:

Spoiler

// Token: 0x02001144 RID: 4420
	public class GeyserType
	{
		// Token: 0x0600400F RID: 16399 RVA: 0x00140B28 File Offset: 0x0013EF28
		public GeyserType(string id, SimHashes element, float temperature, float minRatePerCycle, float maxRatePerCycle, float maxPressure, float minIterationLength = 60f, float maxIterationLength = 1140f, float minIterationPercent = 0.1f, float maxIterationPercent = 0.9f, float minYearLength = 15000f, float maxYearLength = 135000f, float minYearPercent = 0.4f, float maxYearPercent = 0.8f)
		{
			this.id = id;
			this.idHash = id;
			this.element = element;
			this.temperature = temperature;
			this.minRatePerCycle = minRatePerCycle;
			this.maxRatePerCycle = maxRatePerCycle;
			this.maxPressure = maxPressure;
			this.minIterationLength = minIterationLength;
			this.maxIterationLength = maxIterationLength;
			this.minIterationPercent = minIterationPercent;
			this.maxIterationPercent = maxIterationPercent;
			this.minYearLength = minYearLength;
			this.maxYearLength = maxYearLength;
			this.minYearPercent = minYearPercent;
			this.maxYearPercent = maxYearPercent;
			if (GeyserConfigurator.geyserTypes == null)
			{
				GeyserConfigurator.geyserTypes = new List<GeyserConfigurator.GeyserType>();
			}
			GeyserConfigurator.geyserTypes.Add(this);
		}

Archived