imo ,every geyser should at least being able to "power"one of it target consumer
e,g. CO2 vent should give enough co2 to run a skimmer 
Co2>250-350g/s
H2 vent>80-100g/s (H2 generator)
Nat gas>80-100g/s
Steam>900/1100g/s
PO2>80-180g/s(1 dupe eat 100g/s)

imo just remove those super super low output,you should at least able to run one machine with a vent on 80% efficiency.

I could also see the outputs for geysers somewhat normalized, with output ranges much more narrow.  Then have world traits that modify those.  Say one that greatly increases the lower end of their random range, another that increases the upper end.  They could be mixed traits with both upside and downside, essentially splitting up the geysers or concentrating them, or just stand alone to be counter-balanced by other traits.

16 hours ago, mathmanican said:

If each geyser provided enough to do something useful, but not dictate an entire change of game, that would be great. 

I gotcha, we should remove all non-cool slush geysers, right? :p

Any geyser that pumps out water, energy or metal is good stuff. Water is a critical survival resource for both oxygen and food. Natural gas is a very good source of free power. Volcanoes also provide power and the metal ones provide valuable resources. Oil reservoirs are excellent energy resources and maps have guaranteed spawns. The rest of the geysers are largely junk. Their outputs are either too little or too niche to sustain a colony.

Cool slush is the most powerful geyser by FAR. It's not even a debate. They're not only the one true geyser that pumps out a high level of COLD, and it's cold WATER as well. Just heating it up to 20C will net you a free ~300kDTUs of cooling, and utilizing the full heat range will keep even a metal refinery satisfied. Other water geysers have too much heat for normal use and require some effort to set up.

10 hours ago, Dosephshih said:

btw, it turns out I need to check all the geyser type in debug mode before I invest my time in.

10 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

People have been doing this since.....  Well, it was before Rocketry.  Whichever update that was.  The seed sharing browser has been phenomenal for that, and after launch will continue to be so.  I have a list of features that I have minimums, exacts, and less thans.

While being time consuming, this is also in my opinion a flagrant problem that might show a flaw in this part's game design. To be exact, I am not really annoyed by the time consuming factor, nor by relying on a dev tool even if it is totally wrong in my opinion, but what really bother me is that this way you also know the entire map before playing it, which is not what people were seeking in the first point.

We want to know what kind of geysers a map got, but not where they are on the map, what are the exact biomes, POI, etc.

Klei made a very good move by rethinking the dupe generation at the start of a colony. No more intensive reroll, and it feels so much better now. I sometimes want to play a map with either a gold volcano, either a chlorine geyser, or now if they exist as I didn't see one already, a salt water geyser. I don't want to spoil the map of a new asteroid to attain that. The seed sharing browser is a great tool that help with all of that (when the informations are correct), but I still hope that the dev would address this inconvenience that might be minor for certain, or a core problem for others.

To not be totally off topic, I agree on eveything Nitroturtle said. I play on a geoactive and volcanic map and only two geysers are useful for me in early or middle game. The volcanic ones would be useful in the late game, but all the duplicates cool steam vent or polluted water vent / hydrogen vent / CO2 geyser are strictly useless. I incorporated them in my base design, as heat enhancer or decreaser, but I am so disappointed to got this geysers instead of others. Some of them need something more.

7 hours ago, Caochu said:

...but what really bother me is that this way you also know the entire map before playing it, which is not what people were seeking in the first point.

While you can choose to look at the whole map through the seed browser tool, you are not required to.  The Geyser information is extracted separately.

There is no such thing like Geology mod:

Geology1.thumb.png.b3779845f0a181e4adc01a8341e6ac7e.png

What Geology mod (There is no such thing as Geology mod) can do:

Before map is generated:

- Control which geyser can or can not spawn on map.

- Change values for old geysers.

- Define new geysers, players can add own new geysers. ( if not afraid of <xml></xml>)

After map is generated:

- Upgrade geyser output values: increase output, increase/decrease output temperature, increase erupt duration, increase active duration, remove germs, increase overpresure value.

- And if geyser still sucks: Change (randomly) geyser type.

Geology2.thumb.png.91760e2a0845917c4a3843b69a12e1ea.pngGeology3.thumb.png.916df3f5098bc0fa14a792117ae3b4f3.png

Geology4.thumb.png.33ad3cea53255c611fe296643c78aa2c.pngGeology5.thumb.png.56a4464dd3d2d652b7cacc692b8bf852.pngGeology6.thumb.png.e8d3472ccb5d61f198f59ff65e8f7cfa.png

But Geology mod is a myth. If you still believe in it, you were MYTHTAKEN.

42 minutes ago, Darkin Coaled said:

Regarding the hydrogen vent. I always thought it was for powering the AETNs. Way more useful than some marginal 800W of power. In this case it's totally inline with its consumers.

Are you sure about that 800W? The 20-30g/s average is only worth around 200W. The 500C temperature is no joke either, if the geyser had a respectable output it would be a real problem. As is, the low yield is only 24kDTUs of trouble to bring it down to 100C, 

Any flavor of water geyser will literally give more hydrogen than the hydrogen vent, so it falls very low on the geyser rankings.

@bobucles What I meant was if the hydrogen vent were to be "brought inline with its consumer", which as the conversation seems to indicate is a hydrogen generator. That would give 800W, 1200W if tuned. If  you consider the alternative of feeding 2-3 nullifiers then the output is exactly where it needs to be.

I'm currently using a hydrogen geyser to power a generator in my game, but that's only because I haven't found a natural gas one.  It doesn't give enough gas to power a single generator, is much more finicky to tap due to the high heat, and the only upside is that generator has no waste products to worry about.  On the other hand, a natural gas geyser usually gives enough to power two generators, and those generators give easy to manage amounts of CO2 and useful polluted H2O you can use for irrigating Pinchas or sieve if you're desperate for clean water.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:44 AM, Darkin Coaled said:

@bobucles What I meant was if the hydrogen vent were to be "brought inline with its consumer", which as the conversation seems to indicate is a hydrogen generator. That would give 800W, 1200W if tuned. If  you consider the alternative of feeding 2-3 nullifiers then the output is exactly where it needs to be.

the amount of effort pump,pile maybe even dupe labor to use a H2 vent for AETN is unbalance.....why not just getting some H2 from SPOM ?
you need the vent close to AETN to make it worth a bit of effort(and I would like to tell you AETN is made of IRON,the H2 inside will exchange heat giving AETN super hot H2 for cooling seem counter productive....

Archived