Lategame lag is unplayable... suggestions?

Hi all, I'm having a great time with this game, and have finally gotten a rocket program up and running.  However the game is recently slowing down to a literal crawl.  I have to pause in order to scroll anywhere, and when I'm unpaused, the game is a slideshow.

My computer shouldn't be the problem... it's pretty good and can run other games with ease.  I tried some "herbal remedies" such as deleting all of my storage containers, and that helped a little bit, but it's still really bad and more or less unplayable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  I'd prefer not to restart, just to have this same problem again. :(

Have you enabled your dedicated graphics card? Somehow this game depend on the graphics quite a lot, so taking the workload to the gpu would speed up things by a bunch.

52 minutes ago, Abt9 said:

Have you enabled your dedicated graphics card? Somehow this game depend on the graphics quite a lot, so taking the workload to the gpu would speed up things by a bunch.

Maybe the graphics are the last thing that this game depends, hahaha.

@Airpower Search in the forum. There are A LOT of topics talking about that. Good luck! :D 

@Airpower i have some question. At which cycle you are and what is you configuration. I have an 2.0 ghz I3 procesor whit an dedicated 1 ghz video card and 8 ghz of ram and my game is playable at cycle 1920. So not to good laptop, but as Mr.Trueba said if you minimize the patting, restrict the input of resources from the vents, or volcanoes, don't breed to many creatures and consume as much resources as you can, you can improve the gameplay.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I made my dedicated graphics card primary, and updated my drivers, but it's still chunky and slow.  Oddly it spikes up to very fast for a few seconds every now and then, but then it goes right back down again.

Tzionut, I'm in cycle 1096.  My processor is an Intel i7-6900K with 32 GB RAM   //   Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1080 Ti.

Deleting my storage cabinets also helped a little bit, but I think, based off of 0xCD's quoted post though, that my problem is all my dug out area.

Kind of disappointing that playing the game punishes you in this way.  Endgame is the most interesting part of the game for me, but that's where it slows down.

I suggest start consume or melt from unused resources. Like excess sandstone, or  sedimentary rock, or my favorite mafic rock. Make void in all the map area for preventing temperature swap and gases moving. Convert the excess oxygen in lox, excess hydrogen in LH, excess natural gas in methane, excess chlorine in LC.

My advice is to limit duplicant path finding if you can.

There's a quick test you can do to see how much this might help assuming your base is similar to most and has one or two main exits leading to the bulk of the asteroid.

Get all your dupes to come back inside your main livable base then change door permissions to lock everybody in and see how your FPS looks. I saw a large increase in performance just by locking everyone in a base the size of the starting biome.

If that shows an improvement start unlocking permissions a few at a time to allow some dupes out to do work until the performance starts to get bad again.

I've posted about this before and I still believe that having every dupe capable of navigating to any tile on the map (and therefore pick up any task) is the biggest cause of perfornance loss and that optimising the areas most dupes can navigate using permissions is a great way to mitigate it.

Edit: It also showed me that I did not need as many dupes as I thought to make progress because I only really needed one or two dupes to work in the oil biome tinkering an the refineries, I only needed 3-4 dupes as a construction/dig team who were allowed to roam freely. Astronauts only had one path to take from bedroom to rocket, one farmer had access to the farm and their quarters and nothing more.

Think of your colony as a machine in itself and dupes as the moving parts. Try to make those moving parts move as little as possible to get the job done.

7 minutes ago, Moggles said:

I've posted about this before and I still believe that having every dupe capable of navigating to any tile on the map (and therefore pick up any task) is the biggest cause of perfornance loss and that optimising the areas most dupes can navigate using permissions is a great way to mitigate it.

On a similar note. Setting priorities to off for tasks a dupe simply can't do (or do really poorly) also have an affect. Nothing major but still.

For example, only allow cooking for dupes who have the cooking skill and therefore can even use the grill. Another example would be to disable caring for dupes that aren't doctors, or ranching only for ranchers.

3 hours ago, Mr.Trueba said:

Maybe the graphics are the last thing that this game depends, hahaha.

Well, I have a proof that it works much better when I switched it to use the dedicated graphics card. You should know - most modern games, even including indie games on large scale, utilize graphics card pretty well. They assume players have decent graphics card and try to use it at its maximal potential to lessen the burden on cpus. So yeah - even more so with oni, since oni world is huge and there's lots of variety of configurations which could be displayed.

Also do you know how graphic cards change minecraft experience? Ya know, it also gets the impression of 'fast graphics'.

Just my 2c.

2 minutes ago, Abt9 said:

Well, I have a proof that it works much better when I switched it to use the dedicated graphics card. You should know - most modern games, even including indie games on large scale, utilize graphics card pretty well. They assume players have decent graphics card and try to use it at its maximal potential to lessen the burden on cpus. So yeah - even more so with oni, since oni world is huge and there's lots of variety of configurations which could be displayed.

Also do you know how graphic cards change minecraft experience? Ya know, it also gets the impression of 'fast graphics'.

Just my 2c.

Any part of your computer can end up being a bottleneck of any particular game. Your graphics card, your ram, your hard drive, your cpu,... .

With ONI, most of the time you are hitting the cpu wall. The game needs tons of calculations which your graphics card isn't suited for, but your cpu is.

Hitting a bottleneck in ONI with your gpu is always possible, but it will be a software/firmware/configuration issue in most cases. ONI is not a highly graphics dependent game.

2 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Hitting a bottleneck in ONI with your gpu is always possible, but it will be a software/firmware/configuration issue in most cases. ONI is not a highly graphics dependent game.

Indeed. But even for a game which isn't highly graphics dependent, integrated graphics card could be problematic. Especially since it puts the burden on cpu >.>

Saying that, super low end graphics card do work well with oni.

2 hours ago, Airpower said:

Kind of disappointing that playing the game punishes you in this way.

That's the reason i take below 10 dupes (5 actual), no ranching (only small fish pool). Organize pathing (one road to hell) and store every material, inside seperate storage container.
I have no other game, which influences my gamestyle, to get more frames, in such a way..
Map is so small and ppl get still lag.

13 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

This is my main disappointment with the announcement of going live with the game. I would pay for the 3 additional biomes as DLC if they used the time to fix the late game performance problems. Late game save performance is almost as much of an issue as FPS.

my fps is fine but the system pickup every cycle for saving usually is what ends a base for me.  I crash enough that the no save mod is not an option.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

my fps is fine but the system pickup every cycle for saving usually is what ends a base for me.  I crash enough that the no save mod is not an option.

There's a save every 5 cycles mod now, that might work for you. What is causing crashes?

16 minutes ago, bmilohill said:

There's a save every 5 cycles mod now, that might work for you. What is causing crashes?

every 2 cycles would convince me.  re crashes no idea as they to desktop with no report option or anything. usually when I have the liquid pipe overlay open in late cycle bases

I experience bad lag if I have way too many tasks scheduled for my dupes (from blueprinting a bunch of huge projects at once, or lots of dig orders, for example.)  Could that be your issue?

It's not about being a "crybaby" or a potato PC. There is undeniable fact that ONI's late game performance is utter trash. After cycle 1000 you're below 40 fps no matter what you do. I played ONI for hundreds of hours and i employ all the tips mentioned here.... still the game is unsustainable. I can't imagine how the game will run in cycle 2000. DEVS MUST FIX THIS BEFORE RELEASE (and also the report generation at the end of each cycle, it takes way too much time and the report is barely useful).

14 minutes ago, Ashpoker said:

It's not about being a "crybaby" or a potato PC. There is undeniable fact that ONI's late game performance is utter trash. After cycle 1000 you're below 40 fps no matter what you do.

wrong.PNG.b6487cb2169636281ef2cd5743e2ca43.PNG

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

When i kill all dupes / critters and fill whole map with neutronium, i have no lag!

53 minutes ago, Ashpoker said:

I can't imagine how the game will run in cycle 2000.

There should be a limit to how bad it runs. At later cycles there shouldn`t be more stuff causing lower performance. I mean if you mine out the whole map it should rech a point it doesn`t get worse, since there is nothing more that could reduce your fps. If there is something causing lower performance based on the cycle only then it should be fixable.

1 hour ago, Ashpoker said:

It's not about being a "crybaby" or a potato PC. There is undeniable fact that ONI's late game performance is utter trash.

Your "undeniable fact" is wrong. Below 40 FPS is not "unplayable". This is not a shooter. Around 20 FPS is entirely fine for this type of game. I have played bases up to cycle 5000 and I never had problems with the FPS. And I am not on the fastest hardware here (FX8350, 16GB RAM). Steam counter says 16FPS on fast and 28 FPS on slow game speed for that base at this time. Entirely playable though.

I suspect you are having lags and freezes, and that is another problem. 

no sane person plays on slow speed. 3x speed is normal speed and i'm playing in superspeed all the time. ok then, under 30 fps it's unplayable. it takes them literally forever to do anything. the game is very very slow.

Archived