Lategame lag is unplayable... suggestions?

4 hours ago, Ashpoker said:

no sane person plays on slow speed. 3x speed is normal speed and i'm playing in superspeed all the time. ok then, under 30 fps it's unplayable. it takes them literally forever to do anything. the game is very very slow.

So, to paraphrase, you are complaining the game is "unplayable" on a speed setting intended only for debugging? Words fail me. 

No potato rig here.  Top of the line Falcon Northwest gaming rig that rips up mostly any game on the market.  I'm not sure how accurate Windows' task manager is, but when ONI is running at 10 FPS, my CPU and memory usage isn't even breaking a sweat.  I can't imagine that ONI is taxing my video card either.

Hell if filling the map with neutronium will fix the lag problem, maybe I'll just have to try it!  :)

Still though, I agree that I'd trade more biomes for better lategame performance.

@Ashpoker when i come home i will put my 2000 cycle save and please load it into your game...The difference is no regolith, 40% of map is vacuumed, no excess critters, no excess dupes. I am current building an abysselite smelter in survival mode :) 

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

So, to paraphrase, you are complaining the game is "unplayable" on a speed setting intended only for debugging? Words fail me. 

Epic fail. Since when  is the x3 speed debugging mode?

All the +performance tipps are posted many times, to increase performance and it's most times the same.
Reduce critters/dupes, vacuum map, or fill it with neutronium, store mat seperate.
I wait for final release, before i judge performance too hard.

@Ashpoker plz learn, how to quote, or you ruin this fine discussion

1 hour ago, akrabat14 said:

ss.thumb.PNG.0749743fc170dc982729c2276ce74ec4.PNG

11 hours ago, Gurgel said:

.. up to cycle 5000

What about load/save times?

8 hours ago, akrabat14 said:

@Ashpoker says "3x speed is normal speed and i'm playing in superspeed", i think that's where Gurgel gets the superspeed he's playing as "debug speed". Considering how the sentence is set, I get the same.

Anyway, the OP point remains. And when your game goal becomes only to do not develop more your colony, but just adapt it for lower lag (cleaning everywhere, having small dups number, tiny (or zero) number of critters, reduced pathfinding, vacuum everywhere, etc...), i share it as a pain in the... bottom. 

Would you by a game that has this as a main description ? "Build into a world where ressources are abundant, get more ressources from space, then to achieve clean everything, get rid of the unnecessary, delete most of the colors, savors, & scents, and make it a world of emptiness. Only few souls, and the vacuum, will lead you to the road of glory."

Hey Thanos get out of here... 

5 hours ago, akrabat14 said:

Apparently you did not see "i'm playing in superspeed all the time". The fail is on your side.

Still "under 30 fps it's unplayable" is simply untrue in general. Smooth 30 fps are perfect and more than needed.

I guess this may be an old AMD vs. Intel effect: Intel is really bad at multi-core communication. For example, all the streamers on Intel CPUs are using separate PCs to capture to avoid stuttering, while on AMD it is no issue to do it in the same box, provided you have enough cores. This effect may cause short lockups, stuttering and jitter on Intel and that can make a game unplayable even at higher FPS. Speed is very much not everything and so are raw FPS. This type of issue gets much worse if there is additional activity from software in the background.

4 hours ago, Oozinator said:

95 seconds to load, begin-of-cycle save about 10 seconds.

Im on Cycle 1034 now, playing on "two speed" [>>] - 50-60 FPS still. i7 4770k 3.5 GHz underclocked DDR3 mem, 680 GTX. 11 Dupes.
By now my dupes are so well trained in Athletics they zoom around like little missiles. 

1) But i don't dig out everything for a blank canvas either. I turtle, take my time with each thing. Don't dig out more than i have to. Enjoy each step.
2) I also make sure cold biomes are kept frozen (because when they start thawing you get lots of phase changes and that means more processing.
3) I mop every floor liquid, dump it somewhere relevant if more than a few. I separate gases and put them in pressure chambers.
4) I leave very few containers without "Sweep Only" as each one that isn't "Sweep Only" is going to cause a demand in the logistics. I sweep occasionally.
5) I don't pipe all my NatGas / Petroleum to central locations and run big electrical backbones. I keep electrics networks local, production close to source. Electricity isn't a computational problem, but liquids and gases are. 
6) I leave my Abyssalite. Only punching holes carefully with liquid locks (gas segregation) with doors (animal segregation). I repair broken biomes.
7) Limit pathing, keep critters confined. 

And i do many more things i can't even think of right now - but very often "less is more".

I agree that the game needs much better performance. And looking at Factorio and the scale you can do things there on the same hardware, versus this game, in programmers perspective... Let's see what the release brings. I'm hopeful and can hardly wait!

5 hours ago, Oozinator said:

All the +performance tipps are posted many times, to increase performance and it's most times the same.
Reduce critters/dupes, vacuum map, or fill it with neutronium, store mat seperate.
I wait for final release, before i judge performance too hard.

@Ashpoker plz learn, how to quote, or you ruin this fine discussion

ss.thumb.PNG.0749743fc170dc982729c2276ce74ec4.PNG

Saved game load times is an issue , when you load a save game in the beginning and then inside the game trying to reload the same game, takes a while, i mean more than 5 minutes and i'm talking in a world with 2500+ cycles. 

So, am i to assume that we as players (customers) must employ these borderline ridiculous measures (vacuuming the map, low number of dupes, no critters) just to play the game (product we paid for) ? That's complete insanity. We should be able to play the game as WE want, not as the game is forcing us to play. Speaking for myself i want ranches for meat and i simply refuse to kill every critter just to reduce the lag (only the flying ones can die). That's dev's job to reduce the lag. And knowing Klei and their "care" for Don't Starve ... no change is coming boys. Don't even hope for any improvements. 

Also. Superspeed should be baseline >> speed because the normal > speed is for braindead players. It's sooo slow. And the >>> speed should be even faster. Ain't nobody got time for watching them build a simple O2 room for more than 2 cycles (maybe 3).

5 minutes ago, Ashpoker said:

So, am i to assume that we as players (customers) must employ these borderline ridiculous measures (vacuuming the map, low number of dupes, no critters) just to play the game (product we paid for) ? That's complete insanity. We should be able to play the game as WE want, not as the game is forcing us to play. Speaking for myself i want ranches for meat and i simply refuse to kill every critter just to reduce the lag (only the flying ones can die). That's dev's job to reduce the lag. And knowing Klei and their "care" for Don't Starve ... no change is coming boys. Don't even hope for any improvements. 

Also. Superspeed should be baseline >> speed because the normal > speed is for braindead players. It's sooo slow. And the >>> speed should be even faster. Ain't nobody got time for watching them build a simple O2 room for more than 2 cycles (maybe 3).

It kinda depends on who you are asking.

As you notice, a lot of people here are talking about 1000+ cycle game. That's a huuuugee amount of hours. For one single colony!

Rather, most players will not go to that length. They will either have their colony die, or just stay at a certain point, get bored and do a new colony. I personally only had ever 2 saves where I breached the surface, and only one save where I got to build a rocket!

Should endgame have better performance? Absolutely yes. You should be playing the game in a reasonable fashion the way you want to. However, there are people here with rediculous bases with complex flow of materials, heat, etc. There are people who build computing processing units inside of the game. I mean yeah, in those cases I'd say the stresses put on the game engine and hardware are not really representable to what the normal gameplay is.

So far, the game has seen performance improvement during the QoL patches. I had a save file with like 10-18FPS on lowest speed on around 800 cycles. That jumped to 30-40 FPS with duplicant pathing being multithreaded. So it's not as bad as some make out of it. There was a time some people had like 3 FPS!

Again, the performance still has to improve further. I don't want to sound it's good now. But they have been putting effort into improving it, and it did pay off up to now.

3 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

So far, the game has seen performance improvement during the QoL patches.

Yes there was one and only 1 big performance boost thanks to few processes being multithreaded. Since then, nothing. And i will bet anything that we won't see such improvements in the future. Klei just doesn't care about the performance after release (look at DST).

19 minutes ago, Ashpoker said:

Ain't nobody got time for watching them build a simple O2 room for more than 2 cycles (maybe 3).

Players asked for even slower gamespeed, to watch animations.
Roleplayers / techies / dumbos, all play different.

@Ashpoker under you have my save game 1917 cycle....aprox. 5 minute loading of the game, 10 seconds saving in game and I am playing only whit 3x speed. Load it and tell us if is any difference from your 1000 cycle game in fps (except the loading time). I can play it whit my i3, 2 gh procesor, 8 ghz ram, and 1 ghz dedicated video card, so a more weak laptop then your. 

Utopia.sav

8 minutes ago, tzionut said:

@Ashpoker under you have my save game 1917 cycle....aprox. 5 minute loading of the game, 10 seconds saving in game and I am playing only whit 3x speed. Load it and tell us if is any difference from your 1000 cycle game in fps (except the loading time). I can play it whit my i3, 2 gh procesor, 8 ghz ram, and 1 ghz dedicated video card, so a more weak laptop then your. 

Utopia.sav

Nice base. Loading / saving sucks like hell, but runs at >25 FPS on triple speed for me on I2500k

I personally play on normal speed (even play on slow speed during the first few cycles.) :p I like to follow my dupes around during their day to make it feel more personal.  I find it more fun that way.  If I have to play the game on a fast speed, then it's pretty boring at that point to me.  But to each his own, of course. :)

If anyone will try to melt abbysalite please stop :) It's an mission impossible. I make an 1 kg dropper for abbysalite and pasted in sandbox liquid niobium for testing if it work. At 1 kg abbysalite won't heat....so my setup will be used for magnification off all unwanted material like mafic rock, sand, etc. 

image.thumb.png.1b6027c5f0e04d5182b09441ca41b014.png

18 hours ago, Ashpoker said:

no sane person plays on slow speed. 3x speed is normal speed

excuse me, some of us do, I use the extra time to plot the next big build.  Because dupes are usually fairly caught up on duties, if I played on a faster speed they would be idle or in my way while I planned things. 

54 minutes ago, Lali-Lop said:

I personally play on normal speed (even play on slow speed during the first few cycles.) :p I like to follow my dupes around during their day to make it feel more personal.  I find it more fun that way.  If I have to play the game on a fast speed, then it's pretty boring at that point to me.  But to each his own, of course. :)

Ditto this.  I play on normal speed.  I have max 15 dupes in my games, and only after everything in the base is working perfectly.  I use the slower speed to pre-plan my big builds.  I cannot imagine playing at the fastest speed that would be no fun at all for me and I'd spend most the time with the game paused.....

6 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

they would be idle or in my way while I planned things

well then don't be so slow ;) it is very easy to build memorized blueprints on the go even with 3x speed. In superspeed it's not possible most of the time but that might be just a case of not enough practice.

@tzionut 27-29fps inside your base on 3x speed (22fps on superspeed). and when i want to move the camera i can see the stutter. It's the same as my base 1000 cycle less but without the fancy "vacuum unused space" :( this must change

What can i say. For me works fine, as it is. It can be better but this can be done after the release date. The game in my perspective now needs balance not speed. 

What can i do whit 2500 tones of abbysalite? I digged only 640 tones, but is more in my map. 

2 hours ago, tzionut said:

Utopia.sav

Loading time was 1 minute flat (screen loaded) but 1m10s for it all to catch up completely. 
Runs at 35-45 on Double speed on most of the upper map. 30-35 on triple. Where the performance suffers is where there are a lot of buildings doing anything (main base). Where performance is better is in the large vacuum areas. Performance in the lower regions of the map, all the way down to the oil biome, is about 45-50 fps. All areas are giving very stable frame-rates.

My computer is an old i7 4770k running at 3.5GHz (turbo turned off), no Hyper-threading (BIOS option), 16 GB of fastest DDR3L memory. Nvidia 680 GTX. This is a desktop, so if you're having a laptop with the same (similar) specs you should expect about half the FPS as i am getting. On laptops the numbers might look the same but due to heat and power, they cannot possibly perform the same as desktops. I do use a SSD but the saves are on good old spinning rust @ 7200RPM. 

Archived